• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
He's right about the audience shrinking about when the DLC releases.

which is why I think the last character is a nintendo character kinda like Corrin's case

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I figured as much for Season 2; oh well.

So Snake was in consideration for 4's DLC. I assumed time constraints in addition to Konami drama were how he missed the base roster, but I guess we have confirmation of the latter for DLC. Perhaps Simon was also in consideration? Regardless, it's humbling how much they've turned around with Ultimate.

Lucky Sakurai for getting to play BOTW so early. I was always curious how that lined up with Ultimate's development.
It's not really so lucky though. Just how fun would it have been to play a beta version of a game in 2 days.

Sure, I bet he had a blast but it's not as great as we think it would be :P

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda sounds like DLC only happens because Nintendo wants it and Sakurai doesn't want to hand off the reins.

Honestly, it's weird to me how Sakurai is seemingly unable to let go of Smash when he's eager to leave the other series he's worked on like Kirby and Kid Icarus behind and in general expressed his concern about the industry relying too much on sequels.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There isn't much of a realistic incentive to expect a second fighter pass. Nintendo's content plans almost never extend passed one year (Splatoon is an exception but even in those cases the post-year content is heavily reduced to mainly Splatfests and a few weapon variants). Smash also seems like an exceptionally tiring franchise to work with, and they've already stuffed the roster full of most of the important candidates.

All things considered, there's really not much left for Nintendo or Sakurai to prove once this set of characters have been rolled out.

Honestly, it's weird to me how Sakurai is seemingly unable to let go of Smash when he's eager to leave the other series he's worked on like Kirby and Kid Icarus behind and in general expressed his concern about the industry relying too much on sequels.

Sakurai has already said a few times that the reason he sticks to Smash is because working with so many franchises at once is a privilege to him. Sure, he can work on something unique or another series, but getting the honors to work on multiple dozens of legendary series at once is not an opportunity that's easy to turn down.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just saying the word Melee is enough to summon a bunch of people who hate Melee fans lmao.
This is more than Melee fans actually. This is really just Latest Smash vs Melee. It's the same battle as it's always been. It's people not respecting others have different opinions.

I personally think Melee is the best and would love a HD remaster.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This basically confirms no second fighters pass. Unless maybe Nintendo wants to do it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
He's right about the audience shrinking about when the DLC releases.

which is why I think the last character is a nintendo character kinda like Corrin's case

Smash DLC has been heavier on non-Nintendo characters in general - perhaps because the DLC audience is typically more core-oriented and more likely to play non-Nintendo games - and Smash Ultimate has had fewer Nintendo characters to start with. I don't think that's how it's been going.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wonder what kind of characters they weren't able to secure...you would think even at the time smash was already big enough that anyone would like their characters to be in it.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to know who rejected which characters for Smash. Give us some names Sakurai!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
wonder what kind of characters they weren't able to secure...you would think even at the time smash was already big enough that anyone would like their characters to be in it.
There are a few characters that had been mentioned about "adult circumstances" in the past; Banjo and Sukapon, I think, although Sukapon's come back as an assist trophy.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

I don't think it's as easy as it sounds. Not every company is like Kojima, who actually approached Sakurai to insert his character into the game.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping my man makes it in as DLC. It'd be perfect timing with VIIR coming up.

ezgif-2-6fd511582227.gif

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I must be missing something but where did he do this?
Yeah, that was confusing for me too.

Regardless, Melee is killing it again. GOML 2019 had 68k viewers for Melee and 45k for Ultimate.

With Zain and Wizzy being able to beat HBox and a Mango and Axe grand finals, Melee is just too hype right now.

Sakurai may never get it, but he doesn't have to. We will play Melee for another 20+ years.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This basically confirms no second fighters pass. Unless maybe Nintendo wants to do it.
If Nintendo wills it, it will happen.

Also:
  • He is not fond of the idea of the season pass. Its a little scary to buy without knowing the contents. (p165)
I agree completely, now let us know what characters are chosen since apparently, they have all been hand-picked already. /somewhat sarcastic

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, 4 solid pages of him tearing down Melee fans. Impressive.
I'm tired of Melee and people not being able to get over it.

With Brawl some of it was justified because Brawl, as fun as it was in casual play, did drop the ball in many places but after Smash WiiU and especially Ultimate there's no fucking reason to keep going back to Melee.

It's time to move on and I'm happy that Evo already did.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, but who specifically. Who is really hot in gaming, not in Smash already, and not on amicable relations with Nintendo? Maybe Erdrick was in there and SE pushed back, or Joker and the same with Atlus?
Not precisely "hot" but an iconic, well known, and storied videogame mascot that's still somewhat relevant today and I think deserves a spot that I could see him feelingnin as dlc or on next Smash is Bomberman. I'd love to see him included.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tired of Melee and people not being able to get over it.

With Brawl some of it was justified because Brawl, as fun as it was in casual play, did drop the ball in many places but after Smash WiiU and especially Ultimate there's no fucking reason to keep going back to Melee.

It's time to move on and I'm happy that Evo already did.
I mean the gameplay being extremely different is a pretty good reason

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Even Sakurai hates Melee fans. lol

As someone who prefers to play 1v1 stock without items I agree with him. Smash is at its core a party game along with Mario Kart, Mario Party, Guitar Hero, Just Dance, and Wii Sports. Now Ultimate does have a lot of compromises and features to please people like me but that still doesn't change the core identity of the series.

I actually respect the Melee community a lot in that they set out to chisel a competitive game out of something clearly not designed to be one, and built a massive grassroots scene around it.

Where they lose the plot for me is in how intensely they tear down the rest of the series, and the aggressive way they police how they want people to play even within the existing competitive limitations (like the tantrums over Hbox).

They did a cool thing but as it ages the fans seem to be growing more and more toxic towards their own game, players, and series.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So now we know Snake was rejected (likely due to Kojima feud at the time) and that Cloud almost ruined "everyone is here" the second go around.

Still glad to see that the Snake Squad put in the work for him on the ballot.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • It's already had proven true that joining as a character in Smash has advertising effect. (p99)
This is interesting. We all assumed this but I wonder what data Nintendo has to show how a series grew. Would love to look at that lol
Look no further than Fire Emblem. Interest in that series went from 0 to 100 the moment Melee came out so much so that shortly after Nintendo localized the first FE.

Also? Earthbound. Millions of us had never heard about EB, let alone Ness, before Smash. And now there's a cult of people pestering NoA to localize Mother 3. We also made Mother 1 and EB's VC releases a success thanks in part for the huge publicity Smash continues to give to that series.

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I want to know who rejected which characters for Smash. Give us some names Sakurai!

If I had to wager:

Konami for Snake, Castlevania, and Bomberman. Back then they were intent on leaving the video game business (RIP Silent Hill). Luckily for us they have since changed their mind.

Square-Enix for Sora and Dragon Quest. They seem tough to work with. Getting Cloud and another SE fighter would've been impossible back then. The fact we will be getting Draqon Quest content on top of FF content in Ultimate is a miracle.

Activision-Blizzard for Crash. Simply put they are a greedy company.

Microsoft for Banjo, Steve, and Chief. The good relationship between Microsoft and Nintendo was still in its early days back then.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So now we know Snake was rejected (likely due to Kojima feud at the time) and that Cloud almost ruined "everyone is here" the second go around.

Still glad to see that the Snake Squad put in the work for him on the ballot.
Where did he say Cloud almost ruined it?

And I can see Square giving the ok begrudgingly. After being told "everyone is here but Cloud and fans will notice if everyone comes back except your character" they must've give the ok almost displeased. And they clearly said yes without giving the go for anything else, that's why the FF stage still has only two fucking songs in it (same as WiiU). I guarantee the only reason a Cloud is in is because of the "everyone is here" pressure.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I like how "He wants Smash to be more casual and see non-competitive tournaments. Smash is a party game" is seen as tearing down Melee fans.

He adds more wild stages, items and assist trophies with every release so of course he sees it primarily as a party title - but he still includes options for those who wish to play it more competitively.

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Where did he say Cloud almost ruined it?

And I can see Square giving the ok begrudgingly. After being told "everyone is here but Cloud and fans will notice if everyone comes back except your character" they must've give the ok almost displeased. And they clearly said yes without giving the go for anything else, that's why the FF stage still has only two fucking songs in it (same as WiiU). I guarantee the only reason a Cloud is in is because of the "everyone is here" pressure.

Well that and they were given a guaranteed spot on the DLC roster.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to wager:

Konami for Snake, Castlevania, and Bomberman. Back then they were intent on leaving the video game business (RIP Silent Hill). Luckily for us they have since changed their mind.

Square-Enix for Sora and Dragon Quest. They seem tough to work with. Getting Cloud and another SE fighter would've been impossible back then. The fact we will be getting Draqon Quest content on top of FF content in Ultimate is a miracle.

Microsoft for Banjo, Steve, and Chief. The good relationship between Microsoft and Nintendo was still in its early days back then.
If we're getting a MS character please can we get literally anyone other than fucking Minecraft Steve? Can you imagine a Halo stage in Smash? Oh my god!

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that was confusing for me too.

Regardless, Melee is killing it again. GOML 2019 had 68k viewers for Melee and 45k for Ultimate.

With Zain and Wizzy being able to beat HBox and a Mango and Axe grand finals, Melee is just too hype right now.

Sakurai may never get it, but he doesn't have to. We will play Melee for another 20+ years.
Kinda of a hypocrital thing to say.

Also. I don't see him talking bad about Melee at all. In fact he's talking Smash overall Not point out a individual game in the series.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Please NO MORE DLC. Just let him move on to something other than Smash. Get someone else to do it now.

So you want him to work to death on the games that you wanted? Sound selfish to be honest.

Just let you know if you didn't know; but he found DLC development very relaxing so it's probably only chance he had to take a "break" from stressful base game developments.

May 13, 2019
Pretty sure that Disney has all the copyrights regarding Kingdom Hearts. If Sakurai wanted anything from that franchise, he would have to deal with the House of Mouse.

Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
You speculating that, yes?

Yeah. SE when they do crossovers, it's always as DLC. So what better way to entice SE to let Cloud be in the base game and not day-one DLC then by giving them a spot on the small DLC roster? And what better series to use than DQ? SE and Nintendo have tried very hard to make it popular outside of Japan to no avail. Why not use Smash? it worked for Fire Emblem and Earthbound.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I like how "He wants Smash to be more casual and see non-competitive tournaments. Smash is a party game" is seen as tearing down Melee fans.

He adds more wild stages, items and assist trophies with every release so of course he sees it primarily as a party title - but he still includes options for those who wish to play it more competitively.
That was the comment that was supposed to tear down Melee fans? I think everyone acknowledges Smash is a party game, it's only an issue when people claim it's not a fighting game by saying it's a party game, which is kind of silly.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If I had to wager:

Square-Enix for Sora and Dragon Quest. They seem tough to work with. Getting Cloud and another SE fighter would've been impossible back then. The fact we will be getting Dragon Quest content on top of FF content in Ultimate is a miracle.

Disney owns Sora, not Square-Enix.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. SE when they do crossovers, it's always as DLC. So what better way to entice SE to let Cloud be in the base game and not day-one DLC then by giving them a spot on the small DLC roster? And what better series to use than DQ? SE and Nintendo have tried very hard to make i popular outside of Japan to no avail. Why not use Smash? it worked for Fire Emblem and Earthbound.
Where does he say Cloud almost ruined everyone is here?

Is there more stuff that isn't being reported in this thread?

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Where does he say Cloud almost ruined everyone is here?

Is there more stuff that isn't being reported in this thread?
Between Sakurai's previous statements about almost not being able to bring everyone back & Cloud being the last character in the game's files, it's likely that Sakurai cut it close on getting Square-Enix's approval for Cloud to return.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is going to make some people mad lmao.

What would a casual, non-competitive tournament look like? I mean, yes you could change the rules to items etc, but it sounds like he's rather talking about the players not the rules. "You can participate if you range from bad to good, but not TOO good"?