• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
– On the next Smash game: "It'd be fine if there wasn't another one for about 10 years, don't you think?" (laughs)
Yes, dude! Make something else for a change. Sakurai's got the chops to make all kinds of games.

I love Super Smash Bros., but it's a bit of a shame that it keeps Sakurai from developing other games as often. I personally feel like the only miss under the guy's belt has been Kirby's Air Ride, so he's got a great track record.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
After this one I think waiting 10 years for the next Smash is a-okay. The only potential issue is a new Nintendo console coming out by then, but if it is backward compatible with the Switch, then there's not much issue there.

I was kind of hoping they would look at having a matchmaking system for a "no items, no hazards, no bad stages (walkoff mainly), 1v1" in addition to what they have now. It's much needed and kind of annoying to end up in 4-man FFA when you just want to play 1v1.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
This will definitely be the last Smash in a while. They can just keep remastering it and adding fighters tbh

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what he will do next. Smash Ultimate, compared to Brawl and 4, was released somewhat early in the console's lifecycle. If I were him I would take a more than deserved break and release a new game after that, but one that's considerably smaller and more experimental.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Fix the crappy online and ill be very satisfied with this game.

Not even specifically talking about the 4 player match lag, the online as a whole is worse than smash 4.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what he will do next. Smash Ultimate, compared to Brawl and 4, was released somewhat early in the console's lifecycle. If I were him I would take a more than deserved break and release a new game after that, but one that's considerably smaller and more experimental.

It was released at around the same time actually, assuming I have the dates correct
Brawl: ~1 yr 3 mo
4: ~1 yr 10 mo
Ultimate: ~1 yr 7 mo

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
This will definitely be the last Smash in a while. They can just keep remastering it and adding fighters tbh

I'm hoping DLC is small and easy enough that Sakurai could take more of an advisory or supervisory role if desired. I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't try to keep this as active as possible but despite my earlier comments I'd hope Sakurai at least has the out.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So they basically just carried on with development immediately after finishing up the last batch of DLC for Smash 4?

Pretty much exactly what I was expecting. We already knew that Smash Ultimate was built directly on top of Smash 4 Wii U, so it stands to reason that they basically just carried on with the existing development pipeline.

I do reckon that this is it for Smash though. Sakurai clearly has no intention of working on a follow up and honestly? I'd be fine with the series ending here.

Let the poor man have a rest already and let him work on something new when he's ready!
We could always get a new guy or girl for smash 6

I mean there is no way they find a 2nd person that hates zelda to direct.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wanna know how much input he had on desigining Spirits.

Like I feel it's totally possible Sakurai himself designed each and every Spirit Battle but I imagine there was a big team working on those...maybe input from original creators?

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yes, dude! Make something else for a change. Sakurai's got the chops to make all kinds of games.

I love Super Smash Bros., but it's a bit of a shame that it keeps Sakurai from developing other games as often. I personally feel like the only miss under the guy's belt has been Kirby's Air Ride, so he's got a great track record.
Kirby air ride was one of my favorite GCN games. The battle mode where you leveled up your ride was groundbreaking, and I think reviewers had a problem with the acceleration being automatic in the racing mode. I liked it tbh

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
someone give this man a break

Exactly what I thought after reading the last two:

– On the next Smash game: "It'd be fine if there wasn't another one for about 10 years, don't you think?" (laughs)
– Sakurai received something close to an order for a new Smash Bros. since the Switch was coming out – that was this game

That... doesn't sound at all. Much as I love his direction and attention to detail, I think at this point it would be far better for everyone if he was given free reign to do what he wanted (like with KI:U) and pass the Smash torch to someone else. I don't want him to get burned and quit game development entirely. :S

Well we're probably not going to get another Smash game for another 10 years (laughs).

Not a snowball's chance in hell it'll be that long. Nintendo will keep making Smash games as long as they're profitable and they keep making new consoles (so, probably forever), and it seems they'll keep forcing him to direct them as long as that's an option. :/

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm hoping DLC is small and easy enough that Sakurai could take more of an advisory or supervisory role if desired. I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't try to keep this as active as possible but despite my earlier comments I'd hope Sakurai at least has the out.
I mean, they've ended Splatoon 2 DLC support after the previous update, so I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to not do Smash DLC beyond February 2020 (the end of the Fighters Pass).

Oct 29, 2017
It was released at around the same time actually, assuming I have the dates correct
Brawl: ~1 yr 3 mo
4: ~1 yr 10 mo
Ultimate: ~1 yr 7 mo

You've got the date for Smash 3DS in there (being compared to the launch date for the Wii U console). Smash Wii U came out pretty much exactly 2 years after the launch of the Wii U (give or take about 3-4 days), while Smash 3DS came out 3 years and 7 months after the 3DS' launch. The rest is pretty much correct though.

But yeah, Ultimate is pretty much bang on time. Which is actually quite surprising, it feels like it's coming out really early on in the Switch's life; but it actually isn't!

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? To me it seemed that it started late than I expected since I thought it began at least on the end of 2015.

Naw, some of us pegged that they would start the development during early 2016. They usually don't start right away after completed the design document, like Brawl and Smash 4 so it made sense with the timeline. Also Sakurai said that he took a short break so I presume that it's probably a week break between late 2015 and early 2016.

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
I honestly don't want next generations Smash to be a brand new game. Just keep building up Ultimate.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017

In other words:
52e.png

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Development actually started around February of 2016

And it shows given that Ultimate has the lowest count for new stages with the rest of the content being "recycled" content or why there's no trophies or cut scenes at the end of Classic mode.

On people struggling against the harder Spirits: "It's important that your level should sufficiently match your opponent's – your immediate goal should be to level up your Spirits as you fight, not trying to do it in one giant leap."

Pass, I don't care about spirits. When the time comes for me to do World of Light I will be doing it without any spirits...though that's a big if I ever decide to venture further into that mode.

Sakurai says that for online battles, it'd probably be best if you didn't think too hard about how many wins and losses you have

That won't be hard for me...I never played on-line in any of the Smash Bros, Brawl lag fest put me off that idea. ;p

Plus there's the whole paywall nonsense that Nintendo has adopted. ¬_¬;

Nov 5, 2017
Plus there's the whole paywall nonsense that Nintendo has adopted. ¬_¬;

Fix up your networking infrastructure and I might think about paying $20/yr. Right now, with the whole App nonsense and requiring a lengthy friend code to add friends, it is just tedious and not modern at all! Why doesn't Nintendo get with the times! It doesn't make any sense at all!

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think Sakurai is beholden to create Smash eternally, it's just that, as a courtesy, whenever they approach him saying that they're creating a new Smash Bros with or without hin, Sakurai ends up feeling compelled to make sure his child gets the best attention he thinks it needs. For Sakurai's sake, I hope he's found a succssor that he can trust with the franchise, and I hope we get to see more original IP from him.

I think I've had my Smash fill for like a decade tbh, and if the Switch is going the Pro/X/iPhone route that I think it's going in, I wouldn't mind Smash becoming a live services sort of thing and have several season passes.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
if there's free DLC along the fighters pass, i hope they bring back some of the other side modes that didn't make the cut for the base game (Home run Contest, Target Blast at least since those 2 modes aren't that complex. obviously Trophies won't return given the work needed for them)

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
And it shows given that Ultimate has the lowest count for new stages with the rest of the content being "recycled" content or why there's no trophies or cut scenes at the end of Classic mode.
The "recycled" stages for the most part have been completely remade from the ground up save the retro stages and the Wii U stages being mostly just touched up. If you want something to blame for the small number of stages it's this, not the development time, which is actually pretty normal for a Smash.

And the Classic Mode cutscenes were likely cut to save on cart space for everything else, not for time, considering the official website has equivalent videos for every character.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize that, assuming dev on Smash 4 started right when KI:U ended, this is actually a longer dev time than Smash 4 right? (2 years 6 months vs 2 years 10 months)

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fix up your networking infrastructure and I might think about paying $20/yr. Right now, with the whole App nonsense and requiring a lengthy friend code to add friends, it is just tedious and not modern at all! Why doesn't Nintendo get with the times! It doesn't make any sense at all!

And the app works so poorly and crashes often too. I just don't understand how the whole process ended up in such a bad state other than Nintendo going extra Nintendo.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Pass, I don't care about spirits. When the time comes for me to do World of Light I will be doing it without any spirits...though that's a big if I ever decide to venture further into that mode.

Why would you participate in a mode that entirely revolves around spirits (seriously, that's the point of the freakin' mode) without spirits?

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Smash Bros needs a fresh dev team. Everyone likes Sakurai but let another team try it. Cut shitty roster choices and add proper single player modes, actual good online modes etc

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
He always says that about Smash, and yet it seems as though he doesn't trust anyone else to direct one.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sakurai can support Ultimate for the next 10 years with just DLC stuff. I'd be really happy with that, and hopefully it would allow him to do other games.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% sure that, unless Nintendo's next major system is waaay sooner than we think, Sakurai will move on from Smash after Ultimate's Fighter Pass is complete for the time being and work on something new, but he'll definitely be back for the next Smash, whenever that is.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
pretty amazing what they were able to produce in less than 3 years

this should be the cycle between smash games going forward :)

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Smash Bros needs a fresh dev team. Everyone likes Sakurai but let another team try it. Cut shitty roster choices and add proper single player modes, actual good online modes etc

The rumored sales of the current iteration seem to indicate that most of what you are talking about arent huge issues that the larger population has with the game

OP
OP

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what I thought after reading the last two:

– Sakurai received something close to an order for a new Smash Bros. since the Switch was coming out – that was this game

That... doesn't sound at all. Much as I love his direction and attention to detail, I think at this point it would be far better for everyone if he was given free reign to do what he wanted (like with KI:U) and pass the Smash torch to someone else. I don't want him to get burned and quit game development entirely. :S

Not a snowball's chance in hell it'll be that long. Nintendo will keep making Smash games as long as they're profitable and they keep making new consoles (so, probably forever), and it seems they'll keep forcing him to direct them as long as that's an option. :/

No one force Sakurai. He's a freelancer and receives a contract which he can accept or not. Kid Icarus Uprising happened because Iwata wanted a launch title and Sakurai agreed, same with other Smash titles since Brawl.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
No one force Sakurai. He's a freelancer and receives a contract which he can accept or not. Kid Icarus Uprising happened because Iwata wanted a launch title and Sakurai agreed, same with other Smash titles since Brawl.

Literally the last sentence is "Sakurai received something close to an order". The fact that you're technically freelance doesn't mean you can just say no to the one single company that's put bread on your table for the last few decades. I mean, sure, he's technically able to say no, just as you can say no to your boss; the result would be about the same.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai need to take a sabbatical year haha, then he'll probably works on 2 games before returning to Smash.