• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks to our very own PushDustIn for providing the translation. A few interesting tidbits:

Sakurai decided that the command window would appear and have random spells and attacks that could be chosen. Then he decided to add a MP system as well.
(Sorry for small picture, it's from the column)

There is actually a restriction on which DQ protagonists can fight with each other, but Smash was given special permission. (DQ VIII was a request from Western fans)
Sakurai states this it was difficult for them to join Smash. While Banjo and Kazooie was originally an N64 game, and their inclusion should've been a natural one, they are now owned by Microsoft.

[...]

However, this time they were able to get the character quite easily. Sakurai would also like to thank Rare for their assistance as well. Thanks to them, Sakurai was able to satisfy many fan's requests.

The interesting stuff here seems to be that Square Enix put some hurdles with how DQ is represented in Smash, while Microsoft and Rare were cooperative with Banjo and Kazooie.

Oh, also, Sakurai dares to dream:

This is Sakurai's personal opinion but he doesn't really care for console wars. No matter what kind of consoles come out, if there are enjoyable games, Sakurai will always respect that.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix putting restriction on Dragon Quest is logical when you consider how mismanaged this IP is in the West, haha.
Glad to see Microsoft/Rare so supportive though

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Text is hard to read. Did you change the color?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Fuck Square Enix by the way. I appreciate what they have done, but way too much has come out about how restrictive they are for no reason

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I hope MS let's Banjo-Kazooie HD come to the Switch too. I can live without Rare Replay but just porting the HD versions wouldn't hurt them. Can't think anyone would be basing an xbox purchasing entirely on Banjo exclusivity.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Getting anything Square Enix related into Smash is always such a monkey's paw wish

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So it sounds like you can bring up the command prompt, and that prompt might have a random selection abilities to use? Sounds crazy haha

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm inclined to believe this may have been one of the main reasons for no female-alt.
Crazy that they had to negotiate for 8 hero too.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Not surprised, considering how heavily hinted it has been difficult to get Final Fantasy content from Square-Enix.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
So it sounds like you can bring up the command prompt, and that prompt might have a random selection abilities to use? Sounds crazy haha
He hopefully means the spells grabbed for Smash were randomly picked. Cause if the spells are randomly chosen every match that just makes Hero terrible.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
He hopefully means the spells grabbed for Smash were randomly picked. Cause if the spells are randomly chosen every match that just makes Hero terrible.

I THINK he means that every time you pull up the command prompt the spells are different

Edit: eh, it's unclear

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why Square Enix is making it that difficult. Smash handles characters very well than any other series.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I read it more as they selected random spells from the series to utilize with the character.
It would be really hard to balance a character that has random specials.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I hope that the "random" here means that that is how the spells for Hero were picked in general and not that you get a random assortment of spells every time you open the command menu or something.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Restriction on the DQ Hero? I bet the only DQ songs we're getting are the overture and a remix of the overture.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is Sakurai's personal opinion but he doesn't really care for console wars. No matter what kind of consoles come out, if there are enjoyable games, Sakurai will always respect that.

giphy.gif

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I hope MS let's Banjo-Kazooie HD come to the Switch too. I can live without Rare Replay but just porting the HD versions wouldn't hurt them. Can't think anyone would be basing an xbox purchasing entirely on Banjo exclusivity.
oh man can you imagine tho? halo Infinite trailer at e3 2020, master chief takes off his mask to reveal banjo, title changes to Banjo Infinite, Halo series cancelled

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I read it more as they selected random spells from the series to utilize with the character.
It would be really hard to balance a character that has random specials.

I think you're probably right. I've been wondering how they fit all the spells we've seen into his moveset, so I was stretching the language a bit lol

OP
OP
Regulus Tera

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about DQ characters being unable to fight each other makes me think this is why we didn't get Sofia or female Erdrick, especially when Sakurai has opted to include female skins for every character in the game that already has one.

Oct 28, 2017
"This is Sakurai's personal opinion but he doesn't really care for console wars. No matter what kind of consoles come out, if there are enjoyable games, Sakurai will always respect that"

What dreams may come...

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
It's infuriating that Square is so unwilling to play ball when all the other third parties are being so cooperative.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What fucking timeline am I in where Microsoft and modern Rare were cooperative with Nintendo?

I love it ;__;. As a long time Rareware fan I've felt for years like I was getting kicked around. It was honestly suffering.

At this point, I don't even need a new Banjo game. This is closure for me. Rare and Nintendo finally working together once again, and Banjo is back home in what is essentially the video game hall of fame.

Last edited:

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta give Sakurai credit for being willing to put up with Squares crap for the sake of the fans.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I also would like to point out, it's baffling how difficult Square-Enix can be to work with. Microsoft was easy to work with and that's still technically Nintendo's competitor.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
For a while Sakurai has been talking about his personal philosophy of breaking down barriers between video game companies, and wanting to foster collaboration. It's cool to see that really play out in Banjo. All of Smash really, but especially Banjo.

I wonder what restrictions Square Enix has about DQ heroes fighting each other... and why. They want to keep to the canon? Or it's something else? Anyway, I'm glad Smash Bros was able to get an exception, maybe Smash is big enough to throw its weight around.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
When working with the behemoth western competing company is easier than a big name Japanese one with years of Nintendo platform presence.
Square are an odd bunch.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So DQ8 hero was implemented for western fans but western fans spat on all of it and brushed it off as the Japanese token character

Shameful to see how the Japanese audience was positive for both characters but western fans has to hate on the other

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping we at least get the two orchestrals from the trailer -- it'd be a nasty bait-and-switch if we just got those cheap MIDIs they use for every other spin-off.
Oh god I'd be livid.
I'm remaining optimistic about the music, since there are multiple players involved besides Square there.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Just realised, i guess this also means the lack of female Hero variants was mandated by Square Enix.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
It's amazing how Microsoft and Nintendo's relationship has changed and fostered over the years. Funny how we were all thinking that getting Banjo in Smash would be a monumental leap and too difficult and yet it sounds like it was super easy for Sakurai this time around. Still can't believe this is real!

D-ADplaU8AU5xj-.png

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm inclined to believe this may have been one of the main reasons for no female-alt.
Crazy that they had to negotiate for 8 hero too.

Just realised, i guess this also means the lack of female Hero variants was mandated by Square Enix.
Yep, that's immediately what came to mind when I read the part about restrictions on which DQ Heroes can fight against each other. Jeez I guess we should be thankful that we got any alts at all
D:<

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Maybe Square Enix is the reason for no DQV Hero

>:(

I wonder if they're also the reason behind the lack of female alts.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The fact that Microsoft was easier to work with than Square-Enix still baffles me. Like......how........why? I mean, I'm glad that Microsoft was easy to work with, but still.

Maybe Square Enix is the reason for no DQV Hero

>:(
It's probably due to the DQV Hero not using a sword by default.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Also just realized that if Microsoft were easy to play with ball we might get a ton of Rare spirits and music to go along with Banjo! :D

(Blast Corps and Jet-Force Gemini are probably hard locks)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So DQ8 hero was implemented for western fans but western fans spat on all of it and brushed it off as the Japanese token character

Shameful to see how the Japanese audience was positive for both characters but western fans has to hate on the other
Funny enough, VIII was one of the DQ games I actually finished (well, the 3DS remake, anyway) besides III (I remember playing a DQ game on the DS as well.....maybe it was IV, which would explain why Solo looks familiar to me). I did play a bit of XI, but then XIS was announced, so I returned said copy to my friend since I knew that the Switch version would be the definitive one.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I figured the lack of female alts were probably on SE's end. I wonder if the restriction is why the Hero characters rarely appear in the spinoff games.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also just realized that if Microsoft were easy to play with ball we might get a ton of Rare spirits and music to go along with Banjo! :D

(Blast Corps and Jet-Force Gemini are probably hard locks)

Here's hoping! I'm pulling for some Diddy Kong Racing spirits and music tracks.