• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Square-Enix being the one nightmare company to work with, over Konami and Microsoft, is hilarious to me.

Nov 13, 2017
Another thing on the Dragon Quest hero restrictions:

In Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (the latest Dragon Quest Dynasty Warriors spin-off) you can't even play as any of the main characters from the games.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Normally I'm all for companies being restrictive with characters because that's how you defend a brand, but lmfao Square Enix is being restrictive just to be a pain in the ass

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
SE weird about dumb shit. Still can't believe FF7 got 2 tracks from the original game and no VA for English.
Yeah, for as big as his inclusion was, the minimal content relating to FF makes Cloud feel somewhat out of place like a guest character, compared to other third parties like Mega Man or Ryu who just feel at home on the roster.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
So will all the posters that slandered Sakurai for not including a female alt for DQ Hero point their anger at Square Enix? 🤔
Never understood that shit. It should always be very clear that whatever happens with 3rd party characters, is on the publisher of those characters. Cloud not having an English VA and only 2 songs, Square-Enix. DQ not having female alts? Square-Enix. To think it was Nintendo or Sakurai at all is ridiculous.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
"What does nintendo gain from adding a Microsoft rep like Banjo and Kazoo-"

D-AA2zTVAAAgqdA.jpg:large

tenor.gif
People said the same thing about Joker: They got Joker in Smash.

Same thing for Banjo, I don't expect a new Banjo game anytime soon, on any platform actually.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping this is a sign of a new BK released for the Xbox Scarlet launch...
Have you learned nothing from the Joker announcement and release? There was no Persona 5 on Switch, just Persona 5 scramble.

I think this is simply because they wanted Banjo-Kazooie in Smash, and they did just that: Put BK in Smash. It was the same thing for Joker.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Have you learned nothing from the Joker announcement and release? There was no Persona 5 on Switch, just Persona 5 scramble.

I think this is simply because they wanted Banjo-Kazooie in Smash, and they did just that: Put BK in Smash. It was the same thing for Joker.
?
Joker is in Smash, and we got Persona 5: Royale as well as Scramble. I'm not saying a new BK game on Switch, though I would love that, just a new BK game in general.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Ahw, this post made me have warm and fuzzies. Nice to see studios work together to make games cooler.
oh man can you imagine tho? halo Infinite trailer at e3 2020, master chief takes off his mask to reveal banjo, title changes to Banjo Infinite, Halo series cancelled
Oh man, I love stuff like that. I wonder if there is a series out there that is universally despised that nobody would like to see return, but have it "return" anyways only to be a long con for an actual game people want.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Banjo-Kazooie being in Smash is indicative of something in development, but it's not a stretch to say that the hype around them serves as good proof that there is still interest in the IP, which may lead to something down the road.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Another thing on the Dragon Quest hero restrictions:

In Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (the latest Dragon Quest Dynasty Warriors spin-off) you can't even play as any of the main characters from the games.
Because the heroes are empty vessels for the player.

They aren't characters that or Yuji is just weird.

Plus the main characters in the game just play like the heroes would.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
?
Joker is in Smash, and we got Persona 5: Royale as well as Scramble. I'm not saying a new BK game on Switch, though I would love that, just a new BK game in general.
I really don't think those things were related, as much as they were marketed around the same time.

Whether we got Joker in Smash or not, you could probably think "Yeah, Atlus will definitely do more stuff with Persona 5." We weren't waiting on a Smash character to tell us that, it was like death, taxes, and Persona 5 spinoff/remake games. When P5R and and Scramble were announced, they said nothing about the fact that Joker recently released in Smash. Joker's grappling hook was technically in base P5, but it looks like it will get a lot more use in P5R. That's his UP+B in Smash.

There's been zero buzz about a new BK game. I don't think Banjo in Smash is going to change that.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Didn't 4J studios do the N64 ports for Rare games? If they did then they could technically bring it over to the Switch as they have worked on the Switch previously.

Thanks MS for bringing a Character missing from the Smash family.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
That is a non-existant choice though. The guest characters are waiting in line. If one company doesn't play ball you can go to another company.
I'd be willing to make concessions for a character I really wanted in the game personally. And this inclusion is seemingly heavily influenced by the character poll do clearly lots of people want them. Those people would probably rather have the hero with no music or stage than some other less popular character.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I said it once. I said it plenty of times:

"LOL Square"

Like I'm already imagining the Banjo remixes and the surplus of Banjo and/or Rare and/or Microsoft spirits.

Meanwhile for DQ: 2 songs. And the four Hero spirits will just be using their Smash artwork instead of their original artwork.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
They would mostly be dealing with Disney, which could potentially be better or worse than dealing with Square-Enix.

I don't think there's any way for Disney to be any better. They're infamously draconian about their IP. Even more so than Nintendo.

Hell, I believe they actually restrict Square Enix themselves in regards to their usage of KH in other games.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Thanos would be dealing with Marvel, who handles licensing stuff themselves (though I believe Epic spoke with Marvel Studios rather than Marvel Games). You may have a point with Wreck-It Ralph.

Nintendo was very restrictive about Bowser though, as they forced some behavior guidelines to what was essentially a cameo. And they also rejected including Mario in.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sakurai is going big for the last two. I would expect either Nate Drake or Kratos to appear for Sony. And the Chief for MS. Banjo is neat but it's not that big. If anyone can talk Sony round I believe in Sakurai.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sakurai is going big for the last two. I would expect either Nate Drake or Kratos to appear for Sony. And the Chief for MS. Banjo is neat but it's not that big. If anyone can talk Sony round I believe in Sakurai.

I guess you weren't here to see how reveals for past Smash games were handeled then

Ultimate's base lineup began with several long standing fan favorites like Ridley, Simon, K. Rool and then proceeded to end with...Isabelle and Incineroar. They don't care about saving the best for last or whatever.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo was very restrictive about Bowser though, as they forced some behavior guidelines to what was essentially a cameo. And they also rejected including Mario in.
Actually in an interview they mentioned that they did have permission for Mario, but in the end they couldn't think of a good enough cameo for him.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me wonder if the female Dragon Quest protagonists not being in was because of some sort of restriction from SE. It's honestly so weird to me that SE seems more difficult to deal with than Microsoft. Speaking of them, it's great that adding Banjo was a relatively smooth process. Even if they're not the same as they used to be, I'd love it if this was the start of more collaborations between Nintendo and Rare.

I guess you weren't here to see how reveals for past Smash games were handeled then

Ultimate's base lineup began with several long standing fan favorites like Ridley, Simon, K. Rool and then proceeded to end with...Isabelle and Incineroar. They don't care about saving the best for last or whatever.

Well that's just silly. Isabelle's the best! And remember that Incineroar was only the end of the base roster; we ended that same direct with the news that Piranha Plant, one of the most popular Mario enemies of all time, would be joining Smash! Definitely an unexpected, and incredibly hype moment. It's clear that Sakurai is going BIG with the last announcement; he might even add Deku Baba! Can you imagine the reaction to that?

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
So DQ8 hero was implemented for western fans but western fans spat on all of it and brushed it off as the Japanese token character

Shameful to see how the Japanese audience was positive for both characters but western fans has to hate on the other
You think the western fans he was talking about are the same as the people who disliked it?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't said restrictions on DQ fighters be due to licensing issues on Square's part rather than them being arbitrary?

Like, does Akira Toriyama own the character designs? That seems like a reasonable explanation and very much Capital-P Precedented in Japan.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I know we are getting Banjo and Kazooie and I am very very grateful to Sakurai, Rare, and Phil Spencer for them; but I still really REALLY want Master Chief lol.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix putting restriction on Dragon Quest is logical when you consider how mismanaged this IP is in the West, haha.
Glad to see Microsoft/Rare so supportive though

I don't think this had anything to do with the West. It's a branding thing. Every company with IP has little rules like these, like "Mickey Mouse can never be shown striking anyone physically" or "Volkswagen does not license its brand to war-related toys" or things of that nature. Every time there's a license agreement, the licensee must agree to use the brand consistently with the way the license holder wants it portrayed.

Sakurai wasn't saying S-E were a pain in the ass in agreeing to let them use DQ; he was just saying DQ had more such IP rules to follow than B-K did (which makes sense). And those rules would have been enforced all around the world.