• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Special thanks to PushDustIn for the translation. I'll add the full translation when it becomes available.

Source: Famitsu (translated by PushDustIn & Robert Sephazon on Twitter)

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao.

Even if the Switch isn't really helped when it comes to online capacities, I'm sure rollback would be at least 6353 times better than what we got.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Shouldn't we wait for the full Famitsu column before starting the discussion?

Case in point:
More information will come when the full column is released. Remember, this is just based on a leaked excerpt, and may not be 100% accurate to what Sakurai says.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Probably should've waited for the full column before making a thread on it; he may elaborate more.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
was because the speed improvements largely depend on how players are connected to the Internet. For a steady connection, make sure to connect by LAN.

If only Nintendo added an ethernet port into the Switch dock, maybe so many people wouldn't use wi-fi.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to imagine what would have been worse than the current state of smash online. Also this quote will be hilarious if someone makes it happen solo in 10-15 years(although it might be far more unlikely given I don't think ultimate draws the same passionate following.).

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Smash is a fairly unique, and rather chaotic sort of game, that also has to run on somewhat constraining hardware. It's possible that rollback just wasn't a feasible solution, between potential for desyncs with items and random effects, and the need for a performance overhead that the Switch can't reliably provide.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Smash is a fairly unique, and rather chaotic sort of game, that also has to run on somewhat constraining hardware. It's possible that rollback just wasn't a feasible solution, between potential for desyncs with items and random effects, and the need for a performance overhead that the Switch can't reliably provide.
ARMS says hi. Hell, fans even added rollback netcode to Melee.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Now, I don't know much about net code, but does rollback work for four player matches? I was under the impression that the Melee mod with rollback only supported two and wouldn't work for four, or was that not a technical limitation and rather just because that fanbase would generally only care about 1v1?

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Random effects can easily be synched by generating the same seed for all players on match start, and then randomness for each player is determined from that seed

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Now, I don't know much about net code, but does rollback work for four player matches? I was under the impression that the Melee mod with rollback only supported two and wouldn't work for four, or was that not a technical limitation and rather just because that fanbase would generally only care about 1v1?
Again, ARMS has rollback & handles chaotic 4-player fights just fine.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
To be fair, that's the only native option on Switch. And Smash's netcode isn't good regardless.

That's right, but talking about 2fps matches is an exaggeration that isn't needed. Whoever has some hours in Ultimate will tell you that the big problem with the online mode are the extra 6-7 frames of input delay, not the framerate or whatever.

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
Is this real rollback netcode, or whatever Bandai Namco think is rollback ? Because last I heard they claimed Tekken 7 have already some kind of rollback, and if that their baseline, then I imagine it would have been a disaster for Smash

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
I've just started playing Melee online and the rollback netcode is extraordinary.

It's the only good online smash imo. I can't believe how good it is.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My guy needs to talk to Fizzi
The Slippi mod has the advantage of being made with very specific purposes in mind and also running on what is essentially limitless hardware. I'm genuinely curious whether retrofitting rollback at this point into Ultimate may be a struggle because of the hardware it's on (imagine running four player Ice Climbers dittos on one of the resource intensive levels with items on). Plus at least 50% of the player base being wi-fi and all.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
while i understand that implementing rollback is hard and does take some time they really should have put in that extra time and effort to get it in, Wi-Fi gonna Wi-Fi especially on Switch but that doesn't mean you shouldn't put the effort into it

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Again, ARMS has rollback & handles chaotic 4-player fights just fine.

Do you have an official source on Arms having rollback?
Either way, Arms is a completely different game. What works for one game may not work as well for others.
And speaking of Melee rollback, doing this via an emulation layer is a different thing than implementing it natively into a game running on actual hardware. Not to mention with fan works there are no development deadlines and budgets involved.
Not saying Smash's online shouldn't be massively better (it should) but it's not as simple as pressing the "add rollback" button.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Do you have an official source on Arms having rollback?
Either way, Arms is a completely different game. What works for one game may not work as well for others.
And speaking of Melee rollback, doing this via an emulation layer is a different thing than implementing it natively into a game running on actual hardware. Not to mention with fan works there are no development deadlines and budgets involved.
Not saying Smash's online shouldn't be massively better (it should) but it's not as simple as pressing the "add rollback" button.
If this was post-launch, I'd understand. Even NRS noted how hard it was. But the "during development" part implies that this was pre-launch, so they don't have that excuse.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Like a playable experience? Smash Bros is a total shit show online. I don't know anyone to play with IRL and I'd love to jump back in if they fixed the online. I spent hundreds of hours on Mario Kart.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this was post-launch, I'd understand. Even NRS noted how hard it was. But the "during development" part implies that this was pre-launch, so they don't have that excuse.
No it doesn't. Development of Smash is still ongoing, and based on these excerpts he's specifically talking about improvements being made in the preesent.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
while i understand that implementing rollback is hard and does take some time they really should have put in that extra time and effort to get it in, Wi-Fi gonna Wi-Fi especially on Switch but that doesn't mean you shouldn't put the effort into it
Ultimate had a tight development and the main goal was bringing back all the fighters. There were compromises in a lot of area from the least amount of new stages in the history of the series to the removal of trophies. Concentrating on rollback might have come at the cost of other areas in the game. Some things had to give.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you please stop pushing that narrative ? We already have people that worked on implementing rollback that said that rollback could deal with the items hazards and the Switch hardware.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can you please stop pushing that narrative ? We already have people that worked on implementing rollback that said that rollback could deal with everything without any issues with the items hazards and the Switch hardware. The hardest part would be the 8 players match, but it's not something

Nothing I stated in my post was a false claim. Never said rollback was impossible, don't put words into my mouth.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The Slippi mod has the advantage of being made with very specific purposes in mind and also running on what is essentially limitless hardware. I'm genuinely curious whether retrofitting rollback at this point into Ultimate may be a struggle because of the hardware it's on (imagine running four player Ice Climbers dittos on one of the resource intensive levels with items on). Plus at least 50% of the player base being wi-fi and all.

I mean I play Melee netplay on wifi on a not amazing gaming laptop (probably still a good bit more powerful than the Switch? But I know some other people play on much weaker hardware), and it's still many tiers above Ultimate's online. If they couldn't get four player ICs matches running they could have at least tried doing it exclusively with a more simple mode (maybe if they included an option like Smash 4's "For Glory" and made the only FD stage one with a simplistic background).

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
So are we expecting Mario remake announcement for tomorrow AND a Smash Bros character also for this week? What's the evidence for that?

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
People mention Slippi's mod but they even stated that it would absolutely not be a trivial task to actually put it in Smash Ultimate. It's absolutely possible to implement it, but retrofitting rollback netcode into a game is very expensive. And even Slippi's mod is only 1vs1 without any items. And even some stages were disabled (Pokémon stadium transformations) because it wouldn't work properly (haven't checked if newer updates have enabled it).

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People mention Slippi's mod but they even stated that it would absolutely not be a trivial task to actually put it in Smash Ultimate. It's absolutely possible to implement it, but retrofitting rollback netcode into a game is very expensive. And even Slippi's mod is only 1vs1 without any items. And even some stages were disabled (Pokémon stadium transformations) because it wouldn't work properly (haven't checked if newer updates have enabled it).
It's expensive, yeah. But it's not really our problem, don't you think ? NRS did it without asking a dime because they knew that the netcode they pushed with the game release was bad.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Usually Sakurai speaks of "during development" as past tense in interviews, more often than not during the base game.
And the netcode improvements he talked about already happened, so it's past tense. Extrapolating an assumption that he's referring to pre-release is faulty logic because development refers to the overall sense, especially since you lack the context of the full column in the first place.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So are we expecting Mario remake announcement for tomorrow AND a Smash Bros character also for this week? What's the evidence for that?
this is from Sakurai famitsu column, he talks about a bunch of different stuff in these columns which isn't always about Smash Bros. Don't think this is some sort of proof of news coming

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
It's expensive, yeah. But it's not really our problem, don't you think ? NRS did it without asking a dime because they knew that the netcode they pushed with the game release was bad.

And time consuming, I wouldn't be surprised Ultimate would have been delayed by quite some time. Often, retrofitting rollback in an existing game is rewriting how each frame is rendered. For 1vs1 only it would take time but doable. But with all the items and chaos of smash it becomes way more complicated. And I'm not sure there's really other games with similar amounts of stuff going on that have rollback.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And time consuming, I wouldn't be surprised Ultimate would have been delayed by quite some time. Often, retrofitting rollback in an existing game is rewriting how each frame is rendered. For 1vs1 only it would take time but doable. But with all the items and chaos of smash it becomes way more complicated. And I'm not sure there's really other games with similar amounts of stuff going on that have rollback.
Like Keits (that worked on Killer Instinct) said, rollback can deal with everything in Smash, all the items hazards, all the interactions. And the Switch hardware can deal with it. I know it's a lot of work and money, but at the end of the day, it's all about fixing issues for the customer that bought the game :/

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Its not our problem, but "adverse side effects" is code for "we don't have the time or money to refactor"

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, think it's kinda ridiculous to expect people to use LAN on the switch though. 1 being it has no LAN port on the dock and needing to buy another attachment. 2 being It's meant to be a portable device.
I've played fighting games on wifi with other games too and not had as bad of an experience as I've had with smash bros, so I think there's something more SSB could be doing.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
this is from Sakurai famitsu column, he talks about a bunch of different stuff in these columns which isn't always about Smash Bros. Don't think this is some sort of proof of news coming

I don't get it. What has Sakurai said in his column that makes people think that we are getting a character this week?

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
is it technically impossible to implement via update rollback netcode?
why not give the players to chose from either?

playing smash online has always been a drag.
why cant it be blazing fast such as street fighter/blazblue?
i dont get it.