• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
It's interesting how such an innocent man from Japan, ignorant to the happenings of the rest of the world, keeps accidentally referencing horrible stereotypes he should in no way know.

Coincidences are just so crazy sometimes…

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this specific one because Mr. Sandman and DK are final bosses in different Punch-Out! games?

The Deejay Spirit battle is the one people are primarily hung up on (for justifiable reasons).
Yep. Like as someone who isn't that familiar with SF, I feel like I remember the character having a more agile/acrobatic fighting style so I think they were probably trying to reference that, but there were almost certainly better options with other characters that could've conveyed the same idea without the racist imagery that would still convey their idea just as well

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Whether one is aware or not and whether one should have been aware is important for how we should respond to it.

In this case Sakurai has done nothing wrong as the image to me doesn't express anything that is even remotely close to racism as I don't have that kind of association in my head and have never heard of it up until now. And don't think this reflects it either.

If you do feel offended by the imagery you can ask him to take it down and it would be great of him if he did, even if it doesn't register as such to him. But I for example don't need anything to be done with the image.

No one on this forum is sentencing him to life in prison, or harassing him and his team. If anyone thinks this was intentional, or are writing off Sakurai/Smash entirely for whatever reason, they're within their right to do that. Bringing up intent and saying people are reacting too harshly, all you're doing is policing other forum-goers posts. Which I guess you can do if you want.

If you want, you can always excuse any racist actions/behaviour (which can have harmful effect regardless of intent) by looking at it in a vacuum and assuming "mere" ignorance, even if there's history like there is with Ultimate, so it's pointless to do.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this specific one because Mr. Sandman and DK are final bosses in different Punch-Out! games?

The Deejay Spirit battle is the one people are primarily hung up on (for justifiable reasons).
I mean yeah but it's still fucked up because of the racist comparisons. It's still going "who's the most fitting to represent Mr. Sandman in a fight? A big ape, of course!"

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Even if DK was a final boss in a game, why would you have that? You guys keep trying to cover for what is racist imagery regardless of how you cut it.

Anything to defend y'all lil man tho huh

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Please explain to me how this spirit battle being racist has been "debunked." I'll wait.

DuAp4S9UcAAOO29.jpg

I didn't even know about the one on the first page, nevermind this one.

This deserves a real call to attention and should be changed and apologised for immediately. Why have I never heard of this?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting how such an innocent man from Japan, ignorant to the happenings of the rest of the world, keeps accidentally referencing horrible stereotypes he should in no way know.

Coincidences are just so crazy sometimes…
I think a lot of Japanese people have been exposed to certain racist imagery without a lot of the societal context. Like a lot of old cartoon shit like the black face with big red lips was consumed via imported American media without a real understanding of the race situation in America. And this really hasn't happened that much, a few spirits (most/all of which were probably chosen for other reasons ala DK/Sandman) which Sakurai may not have seen personally since I doubt he was very hands on with assigning the hundreds of spirits. Besides this image, how many examples do we have that can be linked to Sakurai? Like I agree representation is an issue in Smash, but there's a difference between apathy and malice and while both are bad they need to be addressed differently

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the comments about the lack of a black playable character - I think it's straight up just because race isn't something considered when deciding Smash characters. For the most part, Smash is all about representing the primary/most important characters of the franchises it features, and those franchises are generally the biggest ones in the Japanese gaming sphere, with the occasional retro Nintendo classic tossed in as a throwback.

So when they look to add an FF7 character, of course it's not going to be Barret, because Cloud and Sephiroth are head and shoulders above him as the most popular/important characters in that game. The same reason is why Splatoon's Marina wouldn't get the nod over the actual playable Inklings - the main/primary character, just about every time, is the one chosen.

The one exception, really, is Min Min, and she was such an oddity that we got an actual explanation from Sakurai himself. While they could have gone for Twintelle there, the creator of ARMS specifically asked for Min Min. Twintelle herself also unfortunately had the problem of not representing the actual main gimmick of ARMS well due to using her hair to fight, instead of, you know, her arms.

It's not like Sakurai sits down to make this series and goes "I must ensure there are no playable black characters", it's just that what he's looking for is the primary characters of longtime popular and important Japanese franchises - which pretty much ousts most black characters from the selection process. It's an unfortunate and painful fact of the industry that the amount of characters that fit the criteria Smash is targeting while also being black are pretty much nonexistent.

Comparisons to other franchises like Guilty Gear or Tekken don't really work, because those games are creating characters from scratch. Smash, with very few exceptions, only pulls from what's already there and what's already made itself an important part of the Japanese gaming landscape - an environment with pretty much no black characters that fit the bill Smash Bros. is aiming for.
Smash not having black characters is one thing. But posts like this is arguably the most frustrating part. It is half gaslighting and half "deal with it". Why should Nintendo do better when folks doing all this work for free to rationalizing why they don't have to?

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, unless a statement has been released on the number of racist things in Smash, I'm not sure why people are so keen on defending the man. He hasn't shown that he cares, whether unintentionally racist or not. If you hurt someone, "intent" doesn't matter, the action is what causes harm and you apologize if you actually care.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Regarding the comments about the lack of a black playable character - I think it's straight up just because race isn't something considered when deciding Smash characters. For the most part, Smash is all about representing the primary/most important characters of the franchises it features, and those franchises are generally the biggest ones in the Japanese gaming sphere, with the occasional retro Nintendo classic tossed in as a throwback.

So when they look to add an FF7 character, of course it's not going to be Barret, because Cloud and Sephiroth are head and shoulders above him as the most popular/important characters in that game. The same reason is why Splatoon's Marina wouldn't get the nod over the actual playable Inklings - the main/primary character, just about every time, is the one chosen.

The one exception, really, is Min Min, and she was such an oddity that we got an actual explanation from Sakurai himself. While they could have gone for Twintelle there, the creator of ARMS specifically asked for Min Min. Twintelle herself also unfortunately had the problem of not representing the actual main gimmick of ARMS well due to using her hair to fight, instead of, you know, her arms.

It's not like Sakurai sits down to make this series and goes "I must ensure there are no playable black characters", it's just that what he's looking for is the primary characters of longtime popular and important Japanese franchises - which pretty much ousts most black characters from the selection process. It's an unfortunate and painful fact of the industry that the amount of characters that fit the criteria Smash is targeting while also being black are pretty much nonexistent.

Comparisons to other franchises like Guilty Gear or Tekken don't really work, because those games are creating characters from scratch. Smash, with very few exceptions, only pulls from what's already there and what's already made itself an important part of the Japanese gaming landscape - an environment with pretty much no black characters that fit the bill Smash Bros. is aiming for.

Honestly, you shouldn't have even bothered. I agree with you, but Era is an echo chamber, so people will just keep up with their same old tired arguments.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The implications of the imagery are clear and "the lore though" doesn't matter.
Considering the whole point of Spirits is for "the lore" I would say it matters at lot in how characters are decided, though. For Mr. Sandman, the reference wouldn't work without it being DK.

It's why the Deejay Spirit battle sticks out so much because there were way better options to choose from.

(Perhaps it would've been better if Mr. Sandman wasn't included as a Spirit at all?)

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I sincerely believe that in this case there is americentrism. In my life as a European person it would have occurred to me that this was a reference to something that happened 60 years ago in the United States.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if DK was a final boss in a game, why would you have that? You guys keep trying to cover for what is racist imagery regardless of how you cut it.

Anything to defend y'all lil man tho huh
Because they might not have the same associations in Japan? Like I feel like I've seen tons of anime use Gorilla as slang for a super muscly character regardless of race, connotations aren't constant under all cultures. I'm not arguing that it isn't bad, it is and should be removed, but saying they should know better isn't necessarily true

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the whole point of Spirits is for "the lore" I would say it matters at lot in how characters are decided, though. For Mr. Sandman, the reference wouldn't work without it being DK.
1. DK and Sandman are in the same game.
2. Sandman has never been a final boss. He's the final fight in the first mode of Punch-Out Wii, but the final boss of the game is DK.
3. They fight nothing alike.

Ganondorf and Captain Falcon are both closer in fighting style and stature to Sandman than DK is. Ganondorf's fair is literally just Mr. Sandman's primary punch.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's why the Deejay Spirit battle sticks out so much because there were way better options to choose from.

(Perhaps it would've been better if Mr. Sandman wasn't included as a Spirit at all?)
I mean if they wanted to represent the DK battle in Punch-Out they could have just had Punch-Out DK as his own Spirit like they did for Kaptain K.Rool.

Mr. Sandman's a boxer, to represent him as a spirit you'd just have to take any big dude in the cast whose gameplay revolves around punching real hard.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Because they might not have the same associations in Japan? Like I feel like I've seen tons of anime use Gorilla as slang for a super muscly character regardless of race, connotations aren't constant under all cultures. I'm not arguing that it isn't bad, it is and should be removed, but saying they should know better isn't necessarily true

I don't think this is only about Sakurai anymore in that instance anyway.

This is a Nintendo game and anyone at NoA should have immediately said something about the implicit racist caricatures these battles potray.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Do you actually know whether Japan is this collectively naïve?

Can't even count the number of times I've seen this "they can't possibly know better/recognise what's wrong" excuse be rolled out for all kinds of out-of-pocket behaviour.

Mar 18, 2020

Lore is not sufficient to excuse a blatantly racist portrayal. They hung themselves by not having many black characters and excluding the few they do have from being playable🤷🏻‍♂️

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017

Are you seriously trying to suggest Japan doesn't know about racist imagery of black people as monkeys when Smash Ultimate released?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Smash not having black characters is one thing. But posts like this is arguably the most frustrating part. It is half gaslighting and half "deal with it". Why should Nintendo do better when folks doing all this work for free to rationalizing why they don't have to?
I think my issue is that assigning blame when a person might've reasonably ignorant actually hurts progress, because when people get blamed they start to feel attacked and when that happens they tend to double down. I think we should try to communicate these issues to Nintendo, because they're real and they need to improve, but I think communications shouldn't start as being accusatory or you just cause them to stop listening. I get that this is frustrating and it really fucking sucks that people work this way, but I think when you're communicating problems to the ignorant you kind of have to be polite and understanding for a while or you'll never get anywhere. This doesn't mean being polite will always work, but I think if it improves odds even a little there is value. This is especially true if the other party wasn't acting with malice. Like I think there has to be a way to be firm with your criticisms while being understanding that the other party may have been ignorant which caused this issue

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
Ok, I don't know enough about Smash to know whether or not that was put there deliberately or it can just be a random screenshot from the game.

If it's the latter, I am willing to just give him the benefit of the doubt because in all honesty, I am European and I had no idea what this Birmingham Campaign was until I read this thread.

Not everyone can know every last atrocity of human history, there have just been too many to teach them in a school curriculum, so unless you dedicate yourself to history in your freetime or make a career out of it...

I could probably hold a 1 hour presentation on the Holocaust with no prior preparation needed because it was drilled into us for YEARS during history classes (understandably so, since I am German). However, learning other aspects of history greatly suffered from that hyper focus on making sure we don't repeat these mistakes. People from other countries learn other things and probably couldn't tell you half as much about the Holocaust if they tried.

It's a fact of life that whenever you encounter something like this and it's not an issue concerning the country the poster is from, it's more likely that they are ignorant than actually knowingly racist.

Anyways, you educated me, so that's good. You learn something new every day.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Mr. Sandman's a boxer, to represent him as a spirit you'd just have to take any big dude in the cast whose gameplay revolves around punching real hard.
...That's literally DK lol.

I mean, I guess K. Rool could also work (I actually don't know if he was used for another Punch-Out! Spirit battle though), but one of DK's most iconic moves is his neutral-B, the Giant Punch.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021

A supersized Little Mac would've probably sufficed.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Can't even count the number of times I've seen this "they can't possibly know better/recognise what's wrong" excuse be rolled out for all kinds of out-of-pocket behaviour.
I mean from the article people posted on Black Lives Matter in Japan to try and refute me
One particularly vocal critic was Baye McNeil, an African-American teacher, author, columnist and long-time Japan resident.
He tweeted that it was an "offensive racist commentary" and it was time for Japan to stop the "lame excuses" on handling of black issues.
NHK later apologised, and following the widespread attention Mr McNeil's articles received, invited him in to discuss the problem.
He soon found himself giving a talk to the entire NHK staff, which he said was an "extremely interesting" experience.
"There were a lot of great questions that showed that a lot of people did not know there were problems with blackface or white washing. It was really important that someone came in and was able to explain it."
That's not to say there is no malicious hate or racism or xenophobia in Japan that's born of more than just ignorance, because their absolutely is. But Japan is a very insular and homogenous country which means even people without malice tend to have a lot of blind spots on these issues

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Not aware of civil rights focal points is one thing but racial connotations with monkey/gorilla is another. And there are Japanese people who are aware that shit is wrong so, no.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is true. I tend to forget Punch-Out arcade.
Mr. Sandman actually has one of the highest profiles of any fighter in Punch-Out in terms of how often he's appeared and how often he's been a boss or a final boss. I feel like he's probably the highest profile Black character that Nintendo has in terms of prominence within their own series, as well as presumably being fairly easily to implement in that he could probably be a variation of Little Mac.

This is an aside, but a big part of why I'd like to see Next Level Games do a new Punch-Out is that I think they tried to make a point to emphasize the most ethnically diverse stable of characters Nintendo has by getting native speakers for all of them, and I feel like a new game would be a great opportunity to make a lot of them playable somehow. There's basically no other way we'll ever get a South Asian playable in a Nintendo game, for example.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...That's literally DK lol.

I mean, I guess K. Rool could also work (I actually don't know if he was used for another Punch-Out! Spirit battle though), but one of DK's most iconic moves is his neutral-B, the Giant Punch.
DK's a literal gorilla, dude. The point is the longstanding racist comparisons between black people and apes and monkeys.

I know it was chosen because "well DK has a big punch and Mr. Sandman has a big punch", I'm saying somewhere along the line in the last three whole years someone should have looked at that and said "hey we gotta remove this, there's existing racist imagery on this exact comparison here."

Like you could actually use K.Rool because K.Rool has a boxing glove for his FSmash because he was a boxer in the final boss of DK64!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not aware of civil rights focal points is one thing but racial connotations with monkey/gorilla is another. And there are Japanese people who are aware that shit is wrong so, no.
Obviously not all of them are ignorant, but I think the people who are aware tend to be the exceptions. I also think there are cases where the connotations exist but because they've never heard people talk about them they don't actually realize why it's a problem, they legitimately think it's not a big deal, the same way people brushed off racist jokes as just a joke because they'd never received that kind of persistent behavior or talked to someone who had so they legitimately didn't realize how damaging this could be to people

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Please explain to me how this spirit battle being racist has been "debunked." I'll wait.

DuAp4S9UcAAOO29.jpg
I don't think there's anything defending this. Is it still common or something in Japan to do this type of association while not having any malicious intent? I'm from the Philippines and I know some people who still casually do this without thinking about it (I mean, the anime Slam Dunk is ultra popular there and Akagi still gets casually referred to as "Gori")

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Sandman actually has one of the highest profiles of any fighter in Punch-Out in terms of how often he's appeared and how often he's been a boss or a final boss. I feel like he's probably the highest profile Black character that Nintendo has in terms of prominence within their own series, as well as presumably being fairly easily to implement in that he could probably be a variation of Little Mac.

Happy to help.

As for Sandman, let's see

Heavier than Mac.
Better recovery options than Mac.
Not good in the air, but nowhere near as defenseless.
Generally has longer startup on everything. comparable end frames
Super armor on fewer moves, but still present.

B: "Boo!" - Let's Sandman cancel out of any move when on the ground except for the Dreamland express by taunting his enemy with a "Boo!". Takes 1.5x damage if hit in this brief window.
^B: "Stand still!" - When on the ground, Sandman wings his right arm high and then brings it down after a brief delay then brings it down. Shield break if it connects. Looks similar to his up smash, but is done with the opposite arm and has no hitbox above him. When done in the air it functions similarly to Terry's Power Dunk.
>B: Dreamland Express - A series of charging uppercuts. Each is a powerful hit that chains into the next and launches on the final hit. Can kill. Once per stock it can be made into an invulnerable version with four hits. The only visual difference is that he starts with the opposite arm.
vB: "Afraid?" - Sandman drops his guard. If you hit him high, he will dodge. If you don't hit him, he will swing with the equivalent of the last hit of an invulnerable Dreamland Express. Hit him low or keep your distance.

Believe me, I know.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

For the example in the OP, that is most certainly the case. Nevermind the fact that he doesn't know about it, it's only a Twitter post with no one other than himself watching over it.

With the racist potrayal in these spirit battles it's completely different. Not only is the stereotype globally more known, but the game went through hundreds of people not only in Japan, but also America and Europe. So yeah, there is no real excuse for it being in the game at all - and even worse still not removed.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's anything defending this. Is it still common or something in Japan to do this type of association while not having any malicious intent? I'm from the Philippines and I know some people who still casually do this without thinking about it (I mean, the anime Slam Dunk is ultra popular there and Akagi still gets casually referred to as "Gori")
Japan tends to use gorilla a lot as a slang term for buff muscular dudes. Like I've seen it refer to tons of characters in anime, and they're pretty much always using it to refer to a character's physique or how powerful they are, and it's pretty much never directed at someone for their race (especially since Black characters rarely appear in anime and the characters it's used for are pretty much never black)

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I think my issue is that assigning blame when a person might've reasonably ignorant actually hurts progress, because when people get blamed they start to feel attacked and when that happens they tend to double down. I think we should try to communicate these issues to Nintendo, because they're real and they need to improve, but I think communications shouldn't start as being accusatory or you just cause them to stop listening. I get that this is frustrating and it really fucking sucks that people work this way, but I think when you're communicating problems to the ignorant you kind of have to be polite and understanding for a while or you'll never get anywhere. This doesn't mean being polite will always work, but I think if it improves odds even a little there is value. This is especially true if the other party wasn't acting with malice. Like I think there has to be a way to be firm with your criticisms while being understanding that the other party may have been ignorant which caused this issue
Nintendo is a multibillion dollar corp with offices with damn near every country in the world, a literal army of lawyers, and marketing department envyed by even bigger companies. They can find every script kitty hosting a rom of Sonic Blast Man, but don't know about the conversation of diversity and representation in modern media in one of the biggest markets in the world?

Jigga please.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
No one on this forum is sentencing him to life in prison, or harassing him and his team. If anyone thinks this was intentional, or are writing off Sakurai/Smash entirely for whatever reason, they're within their right to do that. Bringing up intent and saying people are reacting too harshly, all you're doing is policing other forum-goers posts. Which I guess you can do if you want.

If you want, you can always excuse any racist actions/behaviour (which can have harmful effect regardless of intent) by looking at it in a vacuum and assuming "mere" ignorance, even if there's history like there is with Ultimate, so it's pointless to do.
I certainly could but I don't. The moment I see any kind of racism and not only that which affects me I point it out. But as I don't even see any racist action here there is nothing for me to excuse.

I mostly wanted to point out that it's ridiculous for people to assume that everyone knows about these issues. And that it's a failing on his part to not be educated enough to know about it. That was my main gripe while reading this thread.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Let's assume for the sake of the argument that Smash Bros devs/producers/publishers didn't know about the gorilla trope.

As it's still there and no statements/apologies were done, I assume they still don't know ?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
For the example in the OP, that is most certainly the case. Nevermind the fact that he doesn't know about it, it's only a Twitter post with no one other than himself watching over it.

With the racist potrayal in these spirit battles it's completely different. Not only is the stereotype globally more known, but the game went through hundreds of people not only in Japan, but also America and Europe. So yeah, there is no real excuse for it being in the game at all - and even worse still not removed.
People get that routinely trotting out that excuse is a problem though, right? Defaulting to making excuses and downplaying absolutely everything only ensures the problem stays. Like, even if all of this is an accident, it does nothing to address the problem.

I certainly could but I don't. The moment I see any kind of racism and not only that which affects me I point it out. But as I don't even see any racist action here there is nothing for me to excuse.

I mostly wanted to point out that it's ridiculous for people to assume that everyone knows about these issues. And that it's a failing on his part to not be educated enough to know about it. That was my main gripe while reading this thread.

Scrutinising the response of people affected by this in lieu of (or even in addition to) criticising the people responsible is messed up.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is a multibillion dollar corp with offices with damn near every country in the world, a literal army of lawyers, and marketing department envyed by even bigger companies. They can find every script kitty hosting a rom of Sonic Blaster Man, but don't know about the conversation of diversity and representation in modern media in one of the biggest markets in the world?

Jigga please.
I mean Nintendo as a company does, but to convince a company you need to speak to their bottom line and this gets further complicated because of the game of telephone from NoA to NCL that would need to happen for this discussion (and of course it also depends on how much NCL listens to feedback from it's international branches in general). Like I doubt Nintendo actively hates black people given Reggie was president at NoA for so long. I also think as I said before that Japan tends to have a problem where they're generally resistant to changing business practices so I think the best we can hope for is gradual change over time.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's assume for the sake of the argument that Smash Bros devs/producers/publishers didn't know about the gorilla trope.

As it's still there and no statements/apologies were done, I assume they still don't know ?
Yeah. Even if they didn't know when making it they sure do now, they must. Game & Watch's sprite referencing Fire was altered to remove the feather headdress in the NA version, for example, but these two Spirits are still there even though at worst all they'd have to do is swap those two pngs and then add those Spirits in as different fighters who aren't Diddy and DK.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
This is not the first "accident", and Smash has 0 Black characters. So it's hard to keep giving the benefit of the doubt over and over again.

Well to be fair, most Smash cooperations are with Japanese developers and I can't think of many Black characters from Japanese games.q At least not many that are well known.... Barret? That's literally all I can think off of the top of my head. Since Smash is Nintendo's IP it should be easy to add Twintelle I guess, even though Arms is not really that big of a franchise.

So the core issue is Japanese gaming not having many black characters of big significance to their games. It's getting better recently, but if we are talking legacy characters...

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Nintendo as a company does, but to convince a company you need to speak to their bottom line and this gets further complicated because of the game of telephone from NoA to NCL that would need to happen for this discussion. Like I doubt Nintendo actively hates black people given Reggie was president at NoA for so long. I also think as I said before that Japan tends to have a problem where they're generally resistant to changing business practices so I think the best we can hope for is gradual change over time.
You know you just used "THEY HAD A BLACK FRIEND", as an excuse. C'mon son

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I literally have no idea if the controversies ever reached them. I barely saw western media talk about them and I really doubt Sakurai is reading western media in his free time. I think if we wanted it addressed we'd need to find a journalist in one of the bigger publications with enough clout to ask Sakurai in an interview, but I get the feeling their bosses wouldn't let them because they don't want to risk losing access

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know you just used "THEY HAD A BLACK FRIEND", as an excuse. C'mon son
Yeah that's fair, I'm not trying to excuse Nintendo of their behavior. But I think my main thing is I think we should be directing pressure at Nintendo itself, not individual devs within. I think it's fair to criticise Nintendo for letting this stuff fall through the cracks and also for not responding when it was brought up. Part of my thing here is I frankly just don't have faith in Nintendo to do the right things for the right reasons same as literally any other corporation. They won't risk rocking the boat unless they're convinced it's profitable

Nov 17, 2017
This is where I'm at. I see these pictures all the time from Sakurai's account, and he uses all kinds of random trophies, side characters, and frame-specific timing to get wacky compositions.

On one hand, in so many threads, I see people saying things like "Arrogant US era expecting the rest of the world to default to its currency / be familiar with its pop culture references," and yet, we're expecting native Japanese to be familiar with specific instances of US history that often times isn't even taught in schools due to its damning implications and the shadow it casts on white leadership and white citizens.

I'm not saying it's not important, but I do think we can probably offer Sakurai the benefit of the doubt, here.

I didn't comb through all 8 pages but I did see someone mention that this wasn't the first time he's posted something that could be seen as racist. I'm not a Sakurai stan or anything so if that's true, I'm willing to give him all of my side-eye. This instance though, to me, does actually seem like a stretch. If the OP didn't include that photo from Birmingham I never would have made the connection.
I made the connection immediately. I didn't remember the specific name of Birmingham but the imagery is unfortunately iconic.

My thing is, you're willing to give Sakurai the benefit of the doubt, maybe even the side eye but how many times do you have to do that before you think "ok maybe there's a problem" cause it is not the first time Smash has been racially insensitive by "coincidence." It's hard for me to look at this in a vacuum like it's an isolated thing.

Personally, I'm more annoyed by people's (especially Nintendo fans) eagerness to shut down and dismiss the idea that something could possibly be racially insensitive. People never want to listen to what black people are saying; happens on this site a lot when this sort of thing occurs - actually it happens literally every time. That's not even getting to the point that even if all these instances are accidents, they still should be fixed but black people are told to just deal with it for the most part. To stop complaining cause it's a video game they enjoy and don't want to have to think about uncomfortable things. It's about a lot more than just this one tweet to me.

They don't. Just an easy way to put it out of their mind. People don't like to confront the uncomfortable nature of racism, especially if it doesn't regularly effect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.