• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
www.google.com

Sales at NYC’s Chinatown Restaurants Plummet Following Coronavirus Panic

Plus, the city considers regulating NYC’s growing number of ghost kitchens — and more intel

As fears of coronavirus — more formally known as 2019-nCoV —hit the United States, it's not uncommon to see people wearing medical masks on public transportation or panic-posting news alerts on social media. But despite the fact that New York City has zero confirmed cases of the deadly virus, the health scare has hit one particular demographic the most: Chinese-American businesses. Just as Flushing, Queens canceled its annual Lunar New Year's parade "out of an abundance of caution," the rest of New York City seems to be following suit.

literally true.

I asked my friend who works at one and she said business is VERY slow.

....really people???

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On this very forum I've seen multiple posts of people asking, with complete seriousness, whether it's safe to open a package of an object made in China. People have gone mad with fearmongering and Chinaphobia.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This is pathetic I live in the neighborhood north of Chinatown and didn't even make a connection people were doing this until I saw another article on it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People don't think past where it came from. They let their xenophobia take it from there.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to find my gif of a cute brown child saying "that's racist" anywhere...

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Here in Texas too.

Although the chance of something like this happening is slim to none - people prefer to be safe than sorry. I dont think its hatred against the specific type of store/food place, just that people look at the news and overreact.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
They should be more afraid of the General Tso's chicken, that's going to take off more years than the Corona virus ever would.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
The fuck? This is so incredibly stupid. I just had Chinese last night and didn't even consider that shit.

Now I'm hangry and going to eat my left-overs.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There were people afraid to order stuff from Japan and other Asian country in this forum, so yes, really.
On this very forum I've seen multiple posts of people asking, with complete seriousness, whether it's safe to open a package of an object made in China. People have gone mad with fearmongering and Chinaphobia.
Lack of education on virus + knowledge of point of origin = everything is Anthrax in your mail, apparently

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
What the fuck do these people think, they ship chicken all the way from Shanghai or something? Even the prepared ingredients are usually made domestically.

Fucking hell.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
giphy.gif

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
My parents were all like "you have to be careful!" when I told them I went to a Korean BBQ after work. So yeah, the attitude is pretty prevalent

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
this is what it feels like to have a blood curse i guess, damn. coronavirus could manifest in my body at any time and i aint even been to wuhan or shit and then i grow extra arms and a taste for blood or whatever

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I live next to a Chinese Buffet and have been told by multiple family members to avoid going there whenever I suggested it because of the virus

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Not really surprised honestly. I'll keep all that delicious food to myself then.

Had Chinese like 3 times since the Coronavirus news started, still here!

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
What's worse are the people denying that this is racist

"iT's OnLy lOgIcAl tO aVoId cHiNeSe pEoPle tO aVoId ThE ViRuS"

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
A famous restaurant in my city that's been open for 30 years closed because of the coronavirus. They were delicious too.

It probably made it even worse that someone with coronavirus went to a chinese restaurant in the area and it was all over the news. :/

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife was at an indoor playground in L.A. playing with our son and a white guy approached her out of nowhere and asked, "Do you speak English? Do you live here? Are you Chinese?" (She's not)

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hasn't stopped me from eating at chinese food spots. although i feared something stupid like this would happen. heard a coworker talk about not eating at chinese food places because of this corona virus crap.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
This is the perfect union of ignorance about how viruses work and good ol' fashioned racism. Seasoned with just a sprinkling of stupidity.

All these resources at our fingertips and people still stupid.

Dec 31, 2017
My wife was at an indoor playground in L.A. playing with our son and a white guy approached her out of nowhere and asked, "Do you speak English? Do you live here? Are you Chinese?" (She's not)
God damn that's seriously fucked up.

Do scientists know that Corona virus virulence is dependent on english fluency and SoCal residency?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I've heard it's happening here in BC, Mexico, but honestly, on Sunday we were out to eat and all Chinese places were frigging full, so, no idea if that's true here

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
While I am certain there is a racist element, when this was gaining traction, my in-laws and parents were warning us to avoid Chinese supermarkets and such where mainland Chinese people would gather. And we're all Asian. Some folks are just overly cautious.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): downplaying xenophobia
Rather than xenophobia this is mostly good old fashioned paranoia, if the news were constantly reporting cases of people dying from some tree virus people would be avoiding parks.