• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
dc7VLag.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5
Release Date:
May 10th, 2022​
Genre: Action RPG
Price: $19.99 USD
Player(s): 1-7 (Varies for PvP, PvE)
Format: Digital
Developer/Publisher: Ska Studios
Size: ~3GB

AgHGLLi.png

What is Salt and Sacrifice?
As a Marked Inquisitor, you'll journey through the western frontier: pursuing, hunting, and obliterating the Mages that roam the realm. Craft unique weapons and armor from the otherworldly flesh and bones of the Mages you destroy. Master dozens of unique weapons and runic arts: "safe" manipulations of the corrupt Magic your foes wield.

Explore a large and labyrinthine world filled with scavengers, secrets, traps, and powerful guardians. Team up with a fellow Inquisitor for full online co-op and drop-in quickplay online co-op, or engage in fast and chaotic PvP through various factions.

How long is the game?
The developers estimate the game will be a bit longer than Salt and Sanctuary which clocked in around 16-20 hours depending on playstyle.

Is there a map?
No, like Salt and Sanctuary you need to retain and learn the map yourself. And on the note of maps—the game is now broken up into smaller, separate but interconnected within themselves, areas rather than one large map.

How has the game evolved from Salt and Sanctuary?
There are new locations, mechanics, equipment, enemies (such as roaming bosses) and the like—but the biggest change from the original game is a large focus on online multiplayer. Salt and Sanctuary only had local co-op, but Salt and Sacrifice allows you to join various factions to help, hinder or sow chaos in the world of other players online.

What if I don't want to play with strangers?
You can password-lock your world to only interact with other users that you have given that code to. You can also disable invasions from random players entirely.

Is local co-op still available?
Yes, activating an additional controller and pressing a button on the main menu will prompt that second player to create or select an existing character for local co-op.

Cross-buy/Cross-play between PS4 and PS5?
Yes, the digital purchase of Salt and Sacrifice on PlayStation will include both the PS4 and PS5 release as well as featuring cross-play between them.

Physical release?
Nothing has been announced at the time of writing this thread, but Salt and Sanctuary did receive a physical release on PlayStation platforms through Limited Run Games post-launch as well as a release through traditional retailers for the Nintendo Switch.

Is the game available on Steam?
Salt and Sacrifice is exclusive to the Epic Games Store and will not be available on Steam at launch. The timeframe when that exclusivity deal ends is currently unknown.

Will the game release on other consoles?
Salt and Sacrifice is currently exclusive (on console) to the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. Salt and Sanctuary had a similar debut and was then ported to Switch/Xbox in the years afterwards, but there are no details on the length of Salt and Sacrifice's exclusivity arrangement.

6TBu2c4.png

fChUsge.jpg
Lpjeue7.jpg

SZw74LP.jpg
JRTVdnz.jpg

RB5Lszh.png

Metacritic
PC | PS4 | PS5
Opencritic

GodIsAGeek - 9.0/10
Salt and Sacrifice may not be the best Metroidvania ever made, but as a 2D distillation of the Soulslike formula, this is pure gaming alchemy.

Twinfinite - 4/5
Elden Ring pushed it forward by plopping players into a massive open-world, and Salt and Sacrifice attempts to keep things fresh as well by introducing distinct elements like the Mage Hunts and a never-ending skill tree, but on a personal level, that's just not enough to keep me engaged and invested. Far be it from me to dissuade anyone who's looking for a new Souls-like game to sink into; Salt and Sacrifice is a worthy title in this blossoming genre, and it serves as a great follow-up to its predecessor.

WellPlayed - 6.5/10
Salt and Sacrifice makes a number of changes to its general design and structure that are absolutely not worth the cost, and while the game is still enjoyable, it ultimately feels like a step backwards from the charming 2016 original.

VBbSPAZ.png

Official Site

Last edited:

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I loved the first one. Waiting to see how/if it runs on the Steam deck. If it does not run or run well I'll be picking up the PS5 version.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The first game was the best non-From Soulslike I have played. It maybe have lacked a bit in originality but it was a fantastic world to explore and packed with great boss fights.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to this. I'm guessing the game will be purchasable on the 10th since the option to buy is still not available on PS5.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I LOVED the first game. Maybe it was just circumstance or it being hard to read all the fine print on my new 4K… or that I was ankle deep in some Elden Ring bliss but the beta didn't excite me.
I'm still probably gonna get it. I'm hoping it rocks.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to put it exactly, but I feel like the style of the first game hasn't aged particularly well. Like visually I am sure it is better, but I just kind of find the style of it offputing.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot this was coming this month. Loved the 1st one, I feel like they really understood what makes the core of a Soul. Cannot wait to try this one, hopefully the invasions are fun.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
On a slightly different note, I would love if they re-released their older stuff. I am not sure if they tied up with any publishing rights or maybe they simply don't have the money, but it would be great to see Dishwasher Samurai come out on everything again and get a new lease on life.

mickcenary

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly my least favorite art style of any game ever; looks like a bad Newgrounds cartoon. That being said, it's a quality series and I hope it does well.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Should I be playing Salt and Sanctuary before this?

Hard to say if there will be many narrative connections but, even if there were, the narrative in Salt and Sanctuary was steeped in vagaries so I don't know how much knowledge anyone (beyond the most dedicated) is taking into Salt and Sacrifice.

It's a good game on its own though!

Anumariku

Jan 8, 2020
How's the co-op going to work this time around? Is it going to be more restrictive online ala Souls? I saw that local multiplayer is coming back, hopefully it functions like the first one -- it was nice not having to go through all the typical "Souls" hoops to co-op.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Adored the first game and super stoked to get my hands on this one.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
It feels like there is a strange dirth of information or hype about this game. You can find some Reddit threads about the beta and to be honest the feedback was pretty mixed with a lot of people saying it felt worse than the original. Are there gonna be reviews today? Is there some sort of embargo for release? I'm a bit concerned that a game stating it puts a lot of focus on it's new multiplayer systems is only releasing on the Epic game store and not steam. A lot of people will forgo purchasing this until it comes out on Steam.

May 17, 2018
It feels like there is a strange dirth of information or hype about this game. You can find some Reddit threads about the beta and to be honest the feedback was pretty mixed with a lot of people saying it felt worse than the original. Are there gonna be reviews today? Is there some sort of embargo for release? I'm a bit concerned that a game stating it puts a lot of focus on it's new multiplayer systems is only releasing on the Epic game store and not steam. A lot of people will forgo purchasing this until it comes out on Steam.

I am genuinely shocked that it's releasing tomorrow, because I was so excited when it got announced and I feel like I've seen literally nothing about it since. There was a beta?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
The co-
How's the co-op going to work this time around? Is it going to be more restrictive online ala Souls? I saw that local multiplayer is coming back, hopefully it functions like the first one -- it was nice not having to go through all the typical "Souls" hoops to co-op.

It's the complete opposite of a Souls co-oo. In my experience, once you connect with a friend, you can do the entire game together for the most part. Fast travel to the hub, fight bosses and farm levels, speak to NPC's and even explore new environments. Love the co-op in this so far.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Bunch of reviews are added on MC. 76 score so far.

Salt and Sacrifice

Salt and Sacrifice is the follow-up to Souls-like dark fantasy RPG, Salt and Sanctuary. In a land plagued by powerful and twisted Mages, the condemned Marked Inquisitors take up the hunt. A once-peaceful kingdom is plunged into chaos by encroaching tides of Mages: merciless embodiments of...

Frester

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that you can't preorder/preload today. Going to grab it tomorrow to co-op with a friend!

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
No preloading or even preorder available the day before,not a lot of feedback infos / previews....

Please be good salt and sanctuary was so great.

I hope the 6 players online coop actually works well because I just convinced some friends to buy it to play it in coop ^^

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved the first game, so like some others above I was surprised to hear it's out tomorrow. Will grab it as soon as it goes up on PS5.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Salt and Sanctuary came on my radar yesterday and then I immediately discovered that the sequel will be out in 24 hours. Giving the first game a go now, I'll grab the sequel if I'm having a good time.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Salt and Sanctuary came on my radar yesterday and then I immediately discovered that the sequel will be out in 24 hours. Giving the first game a go now, I'll grab the sequel if I'm having a good time.
Take your time with the first game. Sounds like the sequel might need some polish based on the reviews I've read so far.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
no chance of a midnight release in UK I take it?

not that I'd play at midnight since I work graveyard but at least I could play when I got home tomorow :(

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
On a slightly different note, I would love if they re-released their older stuff. I am not sure if they tied up with any publishing rights or maybe they simply don't have the money, but it would be great to see Dishwasher Samurai come out on everything again and get a new lease on life.

You can still get Vampire Smile on Steam, if you want it on a modern platform, but it's a shame the 360 titles were never made BC. A re-release would be nice.