• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

"you have a lot of people on the left who're prepared to let white women get raped by Muslim immigrants. There are people who're prepared to get raped themselves."

Has Sam Harris fully accepted his fall and ended his "nuance" talk where he edged his way to relevancy for some while others screamed what he really means is the worst interpretation of it

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, are people still gonna defend this stupid fucker? The mask has come off.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
This is what several members of this forum are stanning for in every thread about him?

tenor.gif

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
tenor.gif

Sam Harris showing his ass by being racist and bigoted again, what a surprise.
I still can't believe that there are people who take this guy seriously and repeatedly insist he's not racist.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that it wasn't obvious a long time ago, but only worthwhile 'public intellectual' remains Slavoj Zizek.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Remember when he atleast pretended to not be a racist white supremist? Religion is so easy to critique and he couldn't help himself

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Honest Question, because one of my good friends fell into the Shapiro trap. Hes a white dude with a lot of money, but hes my buddy. 99% progressive/liberal. Which is why this threw me for a loop. Same with the rogan following, you'll h

"He just wants to have a PEACEFUL debate, an HONEST debate!" Same with Sam Harris, there is this weird admiration of these people, as if they are beyond or above the issues they are shitting all over. People are passionate about not being labeled an other, and thats why there isn't 'civil' discourse when you're killing them. But it appeals to liberal people.

You watch 1 video on YT and your feed is then flooded with "SAM HARRIS SHUTS DOWN __________" etc. all that shit. I understand the algorithm... but I just don't understand the appeal behind this peaceful sort of ...hate? Like they're the better than the discussion. Or that they get to dictate the rules of discourse. If you aren't being civil, then you're just as bad as the fascism you're against... etc.

Anyone fall into that trap some how, and figure out "Oh shit, this is white supremacist shit..." and bail? How'd you get fooled into it -- if you're otherwise super liberal..?

Case in point, i feel like most people are thinking "Yeah, no shit. Thats how he acts." But some people will be taken aback by this.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Sam Harris a champion of progressives? Bill Maher always advertise himself as champion of liberalism but I see questionable stuff from him towards Muslims all the time.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honest Question, because one of my good friends fell into the Shapiro trap. Hes a white dude with a lot of money, but hes my buddy. 99% progressive/liberal. Which is why this threw me for a loop. Same with the rogan following, you'll h

"He just wants to have a PEACEFUL debate, an HONEST debate!" Same with Sam Harris, there is this weird admiration of these people, as if they are beyond or above the issues they are shitting all over. People are passionate about not being labeled an other, and thats why there isn't 'civil' discourse when you're killing them. But it appeals to liberal people.

You watch 1 video on YT and your feed is then flooded with "SAM HARRIS SHUTS DOWN __________" etc. all that shit. I understand the algorithm... but I just don't understand the appeal behind this peaceful sort of ...hate? Like they're the better than the discussion. Or that they get to dictate the rules of discourse. If you aren't being civil, then you're just as bad as the fascism you're against... etc.

Anyone fall into that trap some how, and figure out "Oh shit, this is white supremacist shit..." and bail? How'd you get fooled into it -- if you're otherwise super liberal..?

Case in point, i feel like most people are thinking "Yeah, no shit. Thats how he acts." But some people will be taken aback by this.

Friend of mine was able to eject a couple years back. Helps that she is a woman and that we are not American, I think. Both of us are mostly white, but also latinx people, so some of the shit he says was able to actually get her to react.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

I think it often starts with how normalized bigotry is towards Muslims. Most of these people almost always start off with how tolerance might not work with them. I think that catches a lot of people who already hate Muslims and it snowballs from there.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

There's this show called The Knick, starring Clive Owen as a super smart surgeon that takes place at the turn of century. He has two colleagues one white and one black, both equally qualified from prestigious colleges. Anyways, the white colleague is a racist and gets into the whole "we must sterilize the undesirables" bandwagon. He is very polite and gentlemanly, but he espouses some rancid, vile shit and at one point to the black colleague's face. After taking enough, the black colleague throws down and is ready for a spar at which point the racist goes (paraphrasing) "aha! Knew it all along that black people can't be civilized and only understand violence".

That scene stuck with me. It's what's going on today with MAGA idiots and charlatans like Shapiro. The concept of "triggering" has been around for hundreds of years. Anyways, it's an amazing show.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Please stans defend this
People will find a way to defend him. They already did it when he brought on Charles Murray and defended "The Bell Curve", I'm sure they'll insist this is just "out of context" quotes or give other crap excuses.

Isn't Sam Harris a champion of progressives? Bill Maher always advertise himself as champion of liberalism but I see questionable stuff from him towards Muslims all the time.
lol no. Dude's shown his ass with bigoted comments multiple times in the past. Neither is Bill "brings Milo onto his show to scaremonger about transgendered people" Maher. Both of them also hate Muslim folk with a passion, which is part of a reason they have such a large following.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The default muslim in his head is a migrant that rapes white women, thats not only Islamphobic, its extremism.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Harris' entire M.O has always been to say purposely heinous, provocative, and incendiary things, and then back off and claim he's being misinterpreted.

He's a coward who doesn't own what he says.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
Sam Harris has an app for meditation and sleep you should downvote it asap

I say this because hes a racist piece of shit who keeps pushing the bell curve.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
He's always been a racist and apologist for imperialism, I hope this stuff turns off more people from being a fan of his.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
On another note I was surprised to see Sam Harris speaking with Eiynah on her podcast. I knew they were cordial at one point but she has increasingly grown weary of him and eventually started blasting him on her show and twitter. He's been ducking her ever since so I was shocked to see that he'd gone on her show. I actually just now went racing to her podcast to check the new episode with Sam out but then I realized the show in the OP is from years ago. Sucks cuz I was excited thinking he'd actually accepted her challenge to appear on her show again and I knew she'd hold his feet to the fire. Lol, oh well. He'll never speak with her again.

Anyway, everyone should give her podcast a listen. Her episodes on metoo in the secular/atheist community was really good. She also has some good episodes on being a former muslim.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of Sam Harris before. Seems like that's perfectly fine. Not someone worth knowing.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Most of these "anti-islam" Self-proclaimed intellectuals are bigots, simple as that. Dawkins, Harris etc.

The only person that I feel was honest who criticized Islam for justified moral reasons was Christopher Hitchens. He was the only one that had a moral center

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully we can stop pretending that New Atheist "personalities" like Dawkins and Harris and Maher and Peterson are anything but white supremacist, misogynist, imperialists who transparently use atheism and scientism as justification for their bigotry.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people have a lot to learn about Hitchens if we're throwing him around as "the good" conservative thinker. That dude would have probably gotten very dangerous here in the age of Twitter and Shapiros etc.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
"Classical liberalism" A lot of these fucks followed the Alt-Right $$$ train.

I doubt Hitchens would've, however.

Hitch would have despised President Trump. More than anything he hated tyrants.

While I suspect he would have had some criticisms of some elements of the left today, he would have been repulsed by the bad faith arguments of the Alt-Right. He wouldn't have trucked with the "can't say anything anymore hurr durr" shit.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like people have a lot to learn about Hitchens if we're throwing him around as "the good" conservative thinker. That dude would have probably gotten very dangerous here in the age of Twitter and Shapiros etc.

Educate us, enlightened one.

It's something I've pondered heavily and I just can't agree with you.

Shapiro? C'mon. He wouldn't have created a tiny splash let alone a ripple in Hitch's consciousness. A gamecock vs a heavyweight boxer.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Why is it so hard for these guys to be critical without being completely bananas? Do they start off sane and the attention goes to their heads or something?

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
Fuck Harris.

I really do think Hitchens would have sucked more and more as well. Maybe not in the exact same areas given his leftist background, but let your heroes die. The only thing I know is that Hitchens would have at least continued to form fantastic word sounds.