• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
She doesn't time travel. She's in a hospital in a decades long coma because Rogue beat her up and took her powers

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Why are we even talking about a 7th Infinity stone when it doesn't even appear often in regular Marvel comics?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike with Adam Warlock they've gone to extreme lengths to set Carol up with her own movie and she's less weird in general than that goofball.

Adam was literally teased at the end of guardians 2. They could have easily fit him in if they really wanted to.

And I give literally no fuck about the marvel movie since it comes a month ( A MONTH ) before Endgame. That's still completely last minute addition.

"B-but they're gonna explain she was on another world / trapped in another dimension all this time !" You must be inclined to reply.

I dont care. They're still introducing the solution to a 10 years long build up to be some random character who just conveniently happens to be the most powerful hero in universe WHO CAN ALSO TIME TRAVEL.

Come on.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Adam was literally teased at the end of guardians 2. They could have easily fit him in if they really wanted to.

And I give literally no fuck about the marvel movie since it comes a month ( A MONTH ) before Endgame. That's still completely last minute addition.

"B-but they're gonna explain she was on another world / trapped in another dimension all this time !" You must be inclined to reply.

I dont care. They're still introducing the solution to a 10 years long build up to be some random character who just conveniently happens to be the most powerful hero in universe WHO CAN ALSO TIME TRAVEL.

Come on.

Maybe instead of raging about it, you should try to think about how it's very unlikely to actually be meant literally? I mean come on, Occams Razor is a thing.

No one has ever said that she's the solution to the Thanos battle. In fact, I can tell you, with absolute certainty that neither her, nor anyone, will be the actual solution to battling Thanos.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This seems kind of obvious now that he says it. Captain Marvel being able to time travel would explain those weird flashbacks she has (timey wimey) and why she goes from the 90s to now (timey wimey) and why she's not easily contacted to fight Loki or Ultron (timey wimey). Would be a super contrived way to solve Thanos but really there probably aren't any ways to do that that aren't super contrived.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
If anyone just looked one time into the spoiler thread, this was already known for a couple of months now from all the set pics and stuff. Nothing new here.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they will do some kind of writing thing where they will be able to use time travel but it requires her to be a key component of it which saves themselves from the inevitable "why don't they just time travel to fix ______" question that will come up in future films.

I think they do stuff, but it means changing the timeline and they either can't come back or is generally a one way trip for certain characters or something. The only exception being her or something and she is the one who makes it all "work".

I don't know, all I know is that time travel is a difficult genie to put back in the bottle so they are gonna have to find some kind of way to limit its use in-universe.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

Come on.

Hey, this is a film about monsters, alien gods, and wizards in capes. And you're objecting that a time travelling god leaping out of a trapdoor at the last possible moment is a step too far?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I feel like they will do some kind of writing thing where they will be able to use time travel but it requires her to be a key component of it which saves themselves from the inevitable "why don't they just time travel to fix ______" question that will come up in future films.

Yeah, so now she's a witch. I like this. Captain Marvel as Granny Weatherwax. It's about time somebody introduced some good old headology to the MCU.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has nobody read the actual Infinity Gauntlet comic? Time travel is certainly not how Thanos is taken down there.

Granted, the the heroes don't even beat him - Thanos screws himself over by inadvertently giving Nebula an opportunity to steal the Gauntlet, though that can be excused by the Gauntlet having a major flaw in that its omnipotence can overwhelm the user, get them drunk on power and cause them to make major errors in judgement.

Granted, considering how different Infinity War was from the comics, I don't think a direct adaptation of parts of Jim Starlin's book would work for End Game, and I can only imagine some viewers feeling cheated if Thanos was beaten by his own hubris (even if it is fitting) rather than the heroes.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, this is a film about monsters, alien gods, and wizards in capes. And you're objecting that a time travelling god leaping out of a trapdoor at the last possible moment is a step too far?
One doesn't mean the other should be okay though. It's extremely lame if this big thing that has been hyped up for ten years will be resolved through a character that was introduced one month before the closure of that big, anticipated arc. It's like if at the end of Game of Thrones some random bloke who was introduced one episode earlier defeats the White Walkers and is the one sitting on the throne.

While, yes, technically it could be possible that such a character exists, it's very shoddy storytelling and a specific thing most writers will avoid, unless it's specifically meant as comedy or deconstruction.

That's also why I don't think the Marvel writers will make Endgame all Carol focused, but it's a serious issue with revealing someone as powerful as this so late into the story.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they'll set up a new power to just write themselves out of a hole for Endgame - Marvel Studios are much better writers than that.

I assume it'll be something more like 'She can endure the physical strain of time travel', or 'Her lack of aging allows her consciousness to inhabit her younger self'.

... however both would be true for Thor too ...

Maybe she discovers some kind of time travel technology in her movie?

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's that or Adam Warlock, Galactus, Mephisto, and Silver Surfer like in the Infinity Gauntlet comics, and the films have been (mostly) conservative about deploying Cosmic Marvel.

Nov 9, 2017
Friend of mine says Captain Marvel is just playing the part Adam Warlock played in the comics. Is this true? Thought we would get Adam Warlock when they showed off his coffin in GOTG.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
It's extremely lame if this big thing that has been hyped up for ten years will be resolved through a character that was introduced one month before the closure of that big, anticipated arc. It's like if at the end of Game of Thrones some random bloke who was introduced one episode earlier defeats the White Walkers and is the one sitting on the throne.

I agree that the setup of Game of Thrones creates the reasonable expectation that the resolution might involve the collision of one or other bottom with the Iron Throne.

I don't think this has any relevance to the MCU. There is no throne. All or most of the current major characters, many of whom are dead, could remain dead. Spider-Man, Peter Parker, could be dead. But hey, Why are we talking like this? Let's talk business. Have you ever wanted to own a bridge?