• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
IGN ran a story today talking about how Rivet was created largely containing details from a GDC talk "Lombax Lessons: A 'Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart' Design Postmortem," given by Insomniac lead designer Mark Stuart.

www.ign.com

Ratchet & Clank: Rejected Names for Rivet Included Rachette, Gadget, and...Ratchet - IGN

In his GDC talk: "Lombax Lessons: A 'Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart' Design Postmortem," Insomniac lead designer Mark Stuart walked attendees through the story of Rivet's naming and design.

It did not take long before the one of the major contributor to Rivet, Sam Maggs (now narrative lead at Wizards of the Coast, then lead writer at Insomniac), got wind of this and began to tell her side on Twitter which paints Mark in a pretty bad light:

Long thread with more context:

There's an additional thread by Sol Brennan (former Insomniac employee) as well:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sigh ... Fuckin hell.
Really hope Insomniac improves on this front. Hell, the entire Fu kin industry needs to improve but this thread isn't about that.

Loved Rivet and now I know who I should give my thanks to.

Last edited:

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Insomniac donest care. I dont think they ever did anything about the original issues that popped up.

But hey wolverine...

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Credit people's work!! How is it not blatantly obvious that this is something you should be doing?

Thread by Sam Maggs on fights over Rivet's possible sexualized design
OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't it typical if you don't work at a company at the time of certain things they don't really mention you? I don't think I'd be credited really for stuff if I'm gone from the company, but I think stuff like that should change when it comes to project contributors even if they leave the company after the project is over.

However, yeah they prob should go all the all the way behind the scenes of it there. Honestly the crediting it prob the least worse thing here vs the whole creative process being typical dude ideas on how women characters should be portrayed

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I can't remember the last place I've heard anything positive about Insomniac's culture. Sounds like Blizzard 2.0 over there — great games, bad people.

Hopefully Sam Maggs gets the credit she deserves.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Isn't it typical if you don't work at a company at the time of certain things they don't really mention you? I don't think I'd be credited really for stuff if I'm gone from the company, but I think stuff like that should change when it comes to project contributors even if they leave the company after the project is over.

However, yeah they prob should go all the all the way behind the scenes of it there.

You don't credit the person literally responsible for the name of the character when talking about naming the character?

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How hard is it to just give people credit for shit they did?

This isn't rocket science, hell, it's not even science, it's trivial paperwork.

The ease at which this is solvable speaks to the misogyny at play here.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Credit not being guaranteed is another reason why unionization is needed. It's ridiculous how your contributions are erased from record if you leave a company or in some cases are removed from the credits roll because you aren't there for the shipping of the game.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you made the thread and glad her story was told in some way. These stories should be aired again and again and we need to remind ourselves that we still have a looooong way to go.

Insomniac really needs to start taking these things more seriously. It's gonna catch up to them eventually.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

However, yeah they prob should go all the all the way behind the scenes of it there. Honestly the crediting it prob the least worse thing here vs the whole creative process being typical dude ideas on how women characters should be portrayed

This is a trend in the industry and it's one that needs to die, honestly. The idea that a creative lead, heavily responsible for a huge chunk of a game, can leave for ANY REASON and then be wiped off of the credits is something that really, to my knowledge, only happens in gaming. Even Hollywood is better than this and Hollywood has a ton of problems.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Without Sam it seems, Rivet would have been Ratchet with Boobs and Lipstick 😬

Thread by Xavier (former lead at Insominac) on this

rare

Oct 25, 2017

fwRwGZA.png

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Welp, looks like nothing's changed over at Insomniac. Sadly, I'm not surprised.

Props to Sam, Sol, & Xavier for speaking up.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Insomniac leadership can fuck off straight to the moon with this shit. One more company to add to the trash pile as far as I'm concerned.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
That's some horrible shit and it's good they're calling it out. It's not that hard to credit key people who were involved.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, looks like nothing's changed over at Insomniac. Sadly, I'm not surprised.

Props to Sam, Sol, & Xavier for speaking up.

I mean this is all the same stuff we've been hearing about for the past year. Not to diminish Sam and everyone else's stories, because they 100% deserve to be heard, and credited for their work, but I don't think we're going to get signs of Insomniac "changing" from the same troubled project that these stories were always about.

Time will tell if they actually improve their company culture or not, but it certainly seems blatantly clear that Ratchet had a lot of problems behind the scenes.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Pretty unbelievable and disrespectful gatekeeping by some studios. Nobody on my team will ever get special thanks of any sorts. If they even simply farted in the general direction of the game, they are going to end up in the credits in an official and proper manner that won't minimise their involvement. This gatekeeping really needs to stop, it helps nobody, and certainly hinders people's future careers and success.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's incredibly fucked.

I look forward to this being forgotten about or ignored when the next Insomniac trailer is released.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty unbelievable and disrespectful gatekeeping by some studios. Nobody on my team will ever get special thanks of any sorts. If they even simply farted in the general direction of the game, they are going to end up in the credits in an official and proper manner that won't minimise their involvement. This gatekeeping really needs to stop, it helps nobody, and certainly hinders people's future careers and success.

It's incredibly shitty how common the trend of "if you weren't there when it went gold, you don't get to be in the credits" has turned out to be across the industry. The fact that it's so normalized that it even happens in indie games, not just big AAA publisher productions, really blows my mind.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This one was the one that I think gives a lot of context. Not only did she name her - she fought to keep her getting completely cut from the game.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
This lack of crediting in the industry as a whole is such bullshit and is a very common practice. Glad she spoke out and talked about the process. Sam is a great writer I've been a fan of for a while and she should be able to talk about the work she did freely

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Why the fuck wouldn't you give credit to a person that created success, no matter how large or small? I love working with teams and calling out the talents, it feels natural.

Fuck ass hat leaders.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Rivet was so refreshing in a lot of the ways Sam is describing, disheartening but ultimately not all that surprising that it was something so hard fought for.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Rebekah Valentine (who wrote the article for IGN) did the right thing & gave Sam Maggs the credit Insomniac denied them.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the game yet, but is it made clear in the game or is this just another case of saying it afterwards and not having the courage to do it in the game itself?
Not in the game. I've played ratchet a long time and I don't think romance has ever been in it really? I don't remember the ps2 games. Hell even the ps3 games. Jeez.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Jesus, Insomniac...!!

This is so fucking disheartening.

And good on IGN for giving Sam the credit she deserves!!

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the game yet, but is it made clear in the game or is this just another case of saying it afterwards and not having the courage to do it in the game itself?
Probably not the thread to say the person who created Rivet is lacking in courage for what did or didn't make it into the game...