• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
The polite thing to do is to take some time to research a subject if you don't understand. Not assume you're owed an explaination.

Could not disagree more. This kind of mindset will only push those who are generally unaccepting further away. When someone who is normally unaccepting extends an olive branch by asking "could someone explain this to me?" and you reply with "do it yourself" you think that person is actually going to look it up? My money is on that person doubling down on their original viewpoint.

Not that every person that wants an explanation is unaccepting...either way if acceptance is the future we want we gotta play this thing as a team sport

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Their music is still garbage. They only sound moderately decent when singing for Disclosure.

Where the hell is that third Disclosure album?

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Could not disagree more. This kind of mindset will only push those who are generally unaccepting further away. When someone who is normally unaccepting extends an olive branch by asking "could someone explain this to me?" and you reply with "do it yourself" you think that person is actually going to look it up? My money is on that person doubling down on their original viewpoint.

Not that every person that wants an explanation is unaccepting...either way if acceptance is the future we want we gotta play this thing as a team sport

Why are people still quoting me without actually going back and looking at the whole thing? I didn't say this out of the blue, it was in response to a chain started by the very first reply... "Not to be rude, but I don't get it."

A no effort troll got a no effort reply. I've since clarified multiple times that if you're genuinely curious and not using a question to troll, that it could at least be phrased nicely.

But by all means, let's continue to protect the people intentionally shitting up this thread for the sake of decorum. (Hint: if you start a conversation by being rude, you can expect ride responses by default)

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
This does not work, you are pluralising the noun but the adjectives are still masculine ("contentos").
If you see my first post about it, i made the correct translation, in this case "Sam Smith estaba feliz":

Thing is those nouns are first person nouns and not referring in 3rd person, maybe the noun "Vos" is more apropiate. ustedes/usted is "You" in a more respectful way.

YOu can actually use estuvo o gano as those verbs are non gendered and are based on context

"Sam Smith estuvo feliz" would be the correct non binary, as the word contento is the gendered word here (contento or contenta).

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Language is full of contradictions and odd uses and broken rules.

I'm sorry it sounds weird to your ear or whatever. But it rally isn't that hard to refer to people in their preferred way

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Transphobic Pedantry and Ignoring Staff Post; Prior Severe Bans for Sexism and Dismissing Women's Concerns in a Sensitive Thread
Wild that you're considered callous because these changes doesn't make much sense yet in the English language and almost no one is going to be able to change decades of knowing how to address a person using normal sentences.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wild that you're considered callous because these changes doesn't make much sense yet in the English language and almost no one is going to be able to change decades of knowing how to address a person using normal sentences.
Singular they has been in use since the 1400s, same time singular you became a thing. It's not a change, people are just assholes

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally not a change. They has been used as singular for hundreds of years.
There's been a lot of examples I've seen on Twitter and in this thread showing how it can be confusing in a sentence by changing common pronouns to they them.

Edit: but before I get banned for "dismissing concerns" I'll just say it's not going to be easy for most people and I don't think they're assholes for that and take my leave.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's been a lot of examples I've seen on Twitter and in this thread showing how it can be confusing in a sentence by changing common pronouns to they them.
You mean the disingenuous concerns about "they is"? You are not being serious, are you? Just take a look at the sentence I just wrote, did you notice how I used "are" in a singular form twice? If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I talked about this on a slack board and accidentally used he when talking about how we should respect their wishes.

It will happen and even Sam Smith recognized that people will mess up. The important thing is to at least try. I feel like most non-binary people that want different pronouns understand that and won't get mad at an honest slip up.

You would hope at the very list print publications that are edited would not fuck it up though lol

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wild that you think it's okay to flagrantly undermine and gaslight people like this. Plus people have been using they/them pronouns for well over a decade at this point. It might be new to you, but it's been around. Yes it takes practice, but it's better than just shitting on people you don't understand.

Sam is in a good spot. Their name is even non-binary.
I know what you mean here, but really every name is non-binary if a non-binary person uses it.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Corrections: "they are*"
Seriously I appreciate that people are trying but how are people making these mistakes. I'm honestly confused

See, I can't tell if the poster means the word they is popular (in which case 'they is popular' is grammatically correct), or if the poster typo'd 'them' as 'they', meaning Sam (in which case it's grammatically incorrect).

English! A world of fun!

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, I can't tell if the poster means the word they is popular (in which case 'they is popular' is grammatically correct), or if the poster typo'd 'them' as 'they', meaning Sam (in which case it's grammatically incorrect).

English! A world of fun!
Yeah, this is exactly why I try to make a habit of, when I'm talking about a word and not actually using that word, I put it in quotes. So if I said the same sentence talking about they pronouns, I would have said "'they' is popular". What a mess, this language is.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people can't just do a simple thing instead of being willfully ignorant and unwilling to change their mindsets.

Seems to be a recurring theme here.