• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not true. Languages change as dictated through the needs of society as a collective. Gender is biological, that is not an opinion but science, which is why it became part of language.

Scientist here. I previously mentioned that we couldn't reliably tell male vs female brains apart by sex. What makes you think we know anything about gender?

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I actually feel more disonnance calling a non-binary person "Sam" (which feels gendered given their former identity) than using "they," which I have zero problem with at all.

Oh! Maybe I should just think "it's short for both Samantha and Samuel." Duh

When my sister identified as non-binary for awhile, she changed her name at the same time. Now she just identifies female again but she kept her androgynous name. Ya never know.

Oct 26, 2017
you just need to go read like the Associated Press / AP Style Guide or something. Would really help clarify your poor grasp of modern English.
Holy fucking shit.

Nah. No fucking way. I'm out. If I don't get the fuck out of this discussion I'm going to be banned for responding genuinely to this fucking bait.

Deleted member 22901

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sam Smith seems like they've made this announcement without understanding the nuance of English language. It isn't a surprising thing as many native speakers never have to consciously learn the rules of the language they speak.

As I said before I'd rather they'd use an invented singular pronoun than expect everyone to use an existing easily misinterpreted pronoun.
The singular they has existed since before you were born, and non-binary folks have been using it for a long time, and will continue to use it. The only people here without understanding here are folks like you who want to police the language non-binary people use to describe themselves.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The important part was "as a primary argument" (which I acknowledge you aren't doing). My line of thinking is that if the main argument against a transphobe is one of science, then the implication is that acceptance of trans identities can be contingent on said science. That's not to say it's not true, but that it doesn't matter. Hope that makes sense, but it would probably be better to take it to PM if you wanna continue this conversation. I got nothing against anything that you've actually posted in this thread.

I can see what you're saying, but transphobic people are going to believe whatever they want to believe whether they've had any way to verify it or not. The idea behind why they're always yelling about chromosomes ties into that, as the vast majority of people will never have a karyotype test in any way, but they're confident that they know what's happening inside of every person they see on a genetic level. I don't think we should be afraid of learning more about who we are and what makes us tick out of fear of how bigots will use it, as they will always find ways to hurt us. But, I can understand the concern at the same time. It's definitely something to keep in mind for the future.

Sam Smith seems like they've made this announcement without understanding the nuance of English language. It isn't a surprising thing as many native speakers never have to consciously learn the rules of the language they speak.

As I said before I'd rather they'd use an invented singular pronoun than expect everyone to use an existing easily misinterpreted pronoun.

It is not your choice what pronouns people identify with. They/them has been used for a long time as a singular pronoun in language and quite a few nonbinary people use it for themselves. Telling someone that you wish they were using a different pronoun than the one that they are is pretty insulting and it's why you're receiving a lot of backlash.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
In society there are common rules usually to make life easier. Can you imagine a situation whereby every single person had a custom list of pronouns they wanted to be addressed as.
Every single person have a specific name. Society managed to survive until now. Wouldn't be different for pronouns.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
god bless all the real heroes in this thread explaining in good faith what non-binary identities are to people who clearly do not care to learn

ETA: happy for sam smith! i'm really happy that we're getting to a point as a society where well-known celebrities feel comfortable coming out as GNC

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Holy fucking shit.

Nah. No fucking way. I'm out. If I don't get the fuck out of this discussion I'm going to be banned for responding genuinely to this fucking bait.
The only thing that was bait was you implying that Sam was attempting to redefine the English language on their own as if the singular they hasn't been used for year in both non-binary and other contexts.

Oct 26, 2017
The singular they has existed since before you were born, and non-binary folks have been using it for a long time, and will continue to use it. The only people here without understanding here are folks like you who want to police the language non-binary people use to describe themselves.
They can use whatever to describe themselves.
I can see what you're saying, but transphobic people are going to believe whatever they want to believe whether they've had any way to verify it or not. The idea behind why they're always yelling about chromosomes ties into that, as the vast majority of people will never a karyotype test in any way, but they're confident that they know what's happening inside of every person they see on a genetic level. I don't think we should be afraid of learning more about who we are and what makes us tick out of fear of how bigots will use it, as they will always find ways to hurt us. But, I can understand the concern at the same time. It's definitely something to keep in mind for the future.

It is not your choice what pronouns people identify with. They/them has been used for a long time as a singular pronoun in language and quite a few nonbinary people use it for themselves. Telling someone that you wish they were using a different pronoun than the one that they are is pretty insulting and it's why you're receiving a lot of backlash.
It isn't what they identify themselves with that's the issue I have. What's the issue you ask? I've made it quite clear already.

focusedmaple

Oct 27, 2017
It's impressive how many people suddenly care about pronouns.

Adapt. Language and Culture changes. There are no valuable defenses that require us to look backwards. The only thing we lose by understanding is ignorance and fear.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It does not validate transphobia in any way, and I'm not sure how you're reading it like that. We are not capable of brain scans like that right now in present day, and that does not mean that transphobia is valid right now or that it ever has been in the past.

Sorry to bring it up. I didn't mean to be accusatory or anything. I'm a scientist (in-training) so the limitations of our understanding of gender identity and the ethical considerations of that knowledge are a bit in the forefront of my mind. At the end of the day, any transphobe who invokes biology clearly has no idea what they're fucking talking about, and much like a creationist will look for the gaps in the fossil record, a transphobe is going to point at any absence of evidence as evidence of absence.

Oct 26, 2017
Do you see how people jump on me? What he identifies with isn't the issue is it because SAM SMITH ISN'T FUCKING HERE.

I was being quite reasonable with my explanation, but it isn't the opinion you wanted to hear was it? It isn't what Sam Smith wants, it's what you want for Sam Smith that matters the most to you.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto

Learn English before denigrating someone's English.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you see how people jump on me? What he identifies with isn't the issue is it because SAM SMITH ISN'T FUCKING HERE.

I was being quite reasonable with my explanation, but it isn't the opinion you wanted to hear was it? It isn't what Sam Smith wants, it's what you want for Sam Smith that matters the most to you.

It does matter because trans and non-binary people are here in the thread talking about their experiences with misgendering, and what it's like for people to tell them that their pronouns aren't valid. Sam Smith wants you to use They/Them, and they have explicitly said this in the OP. So, please use them and stop trying to tell us what you specifically want non-binary people to do.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018

People are jumping on you because your arguement is you are bad at English and singular They is hard....

Deleted member 22901

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

how are you being reasonable when you straight up said Sam didn't have an understanding of the English language when they came out? can you not see how insulting that is?

Miscend

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Gender is social. The moment a men feels like they are not a MEN, they break down and their whole worlds turns appart. That's not a biological phenomena, that's a psychosocial drama. Plus many workplaces already use they as singular, the change is happening.
That's not true. Gender = Biological sex.

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
What happens if you refer to Sam Smith with the wrong pronoun? You'll obviously be thrown into a gulag, so you better not mess up.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Love being lectured to on my native language and how irritating pronoun preferences are. Just missing the trifecta of explaining how transphobia becomes funny when you stand on stage with a mic.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I was only sticking up for the dude you were rude to originally who asked a simple question in a discussion thread. The fact that you took it this far proves my point. Being courteous and just throwing up a quick explanation to help someone genuinely trying to join in on the conversation and learn would've gone a long way than being an ass and saying go google it. Saying that discourages people from even remotely wanting to learn or want to sympathize with people. Like I said though. I only responded to stick up for the person you were quick to dismiss who genuinely wanted an answer. People like you disappoint me and are their own worst enemy.
Bruh you are sticking up for a lame dismissive post

Oct 26, 2017
People are jumping on you because your arguement is you are bad at English and singular They is hard....
In the ways that you might find the misuse of pronouns to be offensive I find the shit you're saying to me to be beyond that.

You're simplifying and flattening the meaning of things I say. That shit I really really fucking hate.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
why did i know when i saw the title of this thread and that it had 7 pages it would be a shit show.