• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018

congrats to her! it's honestly good to hear that bloodlines 2 still has some writers on board. at least the game doesn't seem to get cancelled.

www.mobygames.com

Samantha Wallschlaeger - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Samantha Wallschlaeger - MobyGames

according to this she wrote for Bioware on Mass Effect Andromeda and Star Wars: The Old Republic

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
according to this she wrote for Bioware on Mass Effect Andromeda

AppropriateNiceClumber-size_restricted.gif

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Yay on Old Republic, but which parts of Andromeda? The main story wasn't good, but some of the smaller missions were fun.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The Old Republic bounty hunter and agent arcs were entertaining as hell, so if she worked on either of those, awesome.

OP
OP
LabRat

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
outstar.jpg

just read this on the official discord, seems she's mostly just helping to finish the game (and probably the dlc). she's not going to completly rewrite the game or anything like that

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Lmao. I have like no hope for this game.

Imagine how this must've gone:

"Right, y'all are fired. We need that Mass Effect Andromeda talent."

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Good for her!

This whole situation with Mitsoda and Cara (not to mention the other folks in key creative positions who "left") is regrettable, and definitely put a stain on things, but I'm still hoping for the best.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Nice one. A mixed CV but great, I'm sure she can finish it up well enough. Still really excited for this game.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I get that its cool to rip on Adromeda. The game played and looked like doodoo but this writer was responsible for neither.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see how things go, and I want to be optimistic. I'm glad the messaging is there that they're not replacing the previous writing, though I wonder if it'll be an obvious shift in tone between the two?

I didn't hate Mass Effect: Andromeda like many others did, so if she has built on her experience and improved from there, this could be the best outcome from a bad situation.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Wait, what's happening with this game? Just cathcing p with all the news :(

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I get that its cool to rip on Adromeda. The game played and looked like doodoo but this writer was responsible for neither.

The story and structure of that game were it's biggest problems. Way more than gameplay, graphics or some jank.

Now, that doesn't mean that that was the writers fault (there are lots of factors that can hamstring writers) or that this here is bad news.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what's happening with this game? Just cathcing p with all the news :(
www.resetera.com

Brian Mitsoda & Ka'ai Cluney leave V:TMB:2 Development Up: Seem to have been fired.

New news, new thread following the announced delay to 2021 from the Official Website:
I mean, it's more related to the news from a couple of weeks ago last week (holy shit, time moves slow):

www.resetera.com

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 senior narrative designer Cara Ellison has left the project

I've never seen a project bleed more talent. https://www.pcgamer.com/bloodlines-2-senior-narrative-designer-cara-ellison-has-left-the-project/

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Unless she's said something elsewhere, the thread title is deeply misleading, in that she's only said she's the narrative designer for Hardsuit Labs, not for Bloodlines 2. She could very well be working on future projects.

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of her, like probably most here, but congrats nonetheless. I look forward to seeing how bloodlines works out and what they put out in the future.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Andromeda's writing is kinda boring, but it seems she won't be involved that much with BL2?

Sarevok

Jul 13, 2020
Congrats and hope she does a great job. No matter what she did before, each project is a leaning experience so she can only get better.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In this thread, people don't realize (or ignore) that they weren't a lead writer on ME:A and that they had to work within the box created by others. Additionally, there were lots of writers on that team. There really is some ill-informed knowledge of game dev here.

Samantha is great people and this is a well-deserved role for them.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I wish her all the best, hopefully whatever touches she can put on guide this, at best, awkwardly managed project to completion.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
I don't remember any of Andromeda's writing except there was

a benefactor, the galaxy is devoid of aliens for no reason, your sibling could have been a good part of the game and there was a Dyson sphere.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Pretty lame to come in here and read post after post critiquing Samantha's skills (FTR, I have no opinion on them) as a writer on the basis of her work on Andromeda which is one of the most infamous messes in game development history.

It'd be like saying in 1992 that this David Fincher guy couldn't possibly direct a good thriller after he did Alien 3.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Era is so annoying in how it brings up one's past work as the only measure of their talent.

Last edited:

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Good for her! I'm still iffy that this game is going to not be a steaming trash heap but it's nice to see *some* positive news for it.

And y'all need to chill on Andromeda. That game had so many development issues, I hardly think it's a showcase for any writer's talents. She wrote on Old Republic too which has some fantastic stories so maybe lets not judge someone based on their most compromised work.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Pretty lame to come in here and read post after post critiquing Samantha's skills (FTR, I have no opinion on them) as a writer on the basis of her work on Andromeda which is one of the most infamous messes in game development history.

It'd be like saying in 1992 that this David Fincher guy couldn't possibly direct a good thriller after he did Alien 3.

A lot of the writing in SWTOR is passable at best. And her scope got expanded in the later game (Andromeda). We are worried because Bloodlines is a much more narrative intensive game than the other two. The reason why the 2004 game gets continuous praise due to its handling of themes wuth nuance. While Samantha may be able to produce something great, her track record doesn't exactly inspire confidence. It's definitely not as egregious as the failing forward that is rife in Hollywood screenwriting.

I genuinely hope for the best, but I expect a similar quality of writing to those two games.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Some of y'all didn't play the story of SWTOR and it shows.

Also, Andromeda had a solid story, and some interesting side characters. It all felt safe, however. That's not inherently bad, just uninspiring. Think that was due to the whole game seemingly being put together in a year and a half of production, if memory serves.