• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

I can't see viewership figures on What If to see how that compares but it is arguably a different beast given that's animated

Lock if old.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I want to watch it but haven't yet, but most folks I know (30's-40's) are all like "nahh" after the trailers. It looked like a kids show from those early previews, so I think it's gonna turn off lot of folks

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I know a few guys who are decent comic fans but won't watch it because of the power change. Lame ass excuse this show is great.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Could be a number of reasons i suppose. She's not as established or as well known in the main stream as the other show characters. Which is what I choose to believe because the other reason is a bummer

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's a great show. I'm watching it with my five year old daughter and she is liking it a lot. I love explaining everything to her since she finds it fascinating.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Well that's sad, and we all know the reason.
Do we? Because my feeling is that it's seen less marketing investment and the character/IP is far less known than any of the other characters/shows so far other than Moon Knight...who was played by an extremely well-known and liked actor in Oscar Isaac. I imagine if there was some cross-over that included any of the established brands in the MCU its numbers would be better.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Damn, that's a pretty massive drop. I haven't seen it or anything, but definitely does give a much a different vibe than your typical Marvel stuff, so I guess it's not that surprising. Hopefully word of mouth boosts it

Could be a number of reasons i suppose. She's not as established or as well known in the main stream as the other show characters. Which is what I choose to believe because the other reason is a bummer

I mean, she's definitely more well known than Moon Knight was lol, but true for the others

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I honestly didn't even know the show was out yet, I thought it was coming later this summer. I think Marvel did a pretty poor marketing job with this one.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
It's the best Marvel show, and it's not even close.

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely feels like it's aiming at a younger demographic than other MCU shows so those results make sense.

Hopefully good word of mouth gives it legs.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's by far my favorite Disney+ MCU show so far. It might be the best Phase 4 offering period if the rest of the show's quality keeps up.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm shocked that Moon Knight is that high.

I'm liking Ms Marvel so far, more than Falcon and What if but less than the rest. Wandavision is still by far the best of MCU D+ shows.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm more surprised at Moon Knight doing so well. I know Isaacs is a well known actor, but it managed to be the number 2 right out the gate? Really?

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Damn, that's a pretty massive drop. I haven't seen it or anything, but definitely does give a much a different vibe than your typical Marvel stuff, so I guess it's not that surprising. Hopefully word of mouth boosts it

I mean, she's definitely more well known than Moon Knight was lol, but true for the others
Yeah you know I looked over the chart again and i overlooked moonknight. The power of Oscar Isaac and Hawke!

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe it's a bit early to say this but so far Ms Marvel has been the most interesting thing that Marvel has done since Iron Man back in 2008. I hope it finds success and they draw the right conclusions from it.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
How do you grow an audience? Is it by making sure hits for an established demographic or trying new stuff and being inclusive. If they want to break the Endgame records they're going to need a bigger audience. Perfect time to grow it.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I honestly didn't even know the show was out yet, I thought it was coming later this summer. I think Marvel did a pretty poor marketing job with this one.

Yeah, I opened the app for Obi Wan last week and saw it was out.

It's good, likable characters so far. But I'm not super into the teen secret super hero thing.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
it's off to a damn good start so I hope more people check it out

would be a shame to see this get overshadowed by Obi-wan

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Well I think it has a lot against it. The obvious bigotry aspect that is there for some viewers. Then you got the first trailers that made it look like a show for teens on Nickelodeon or Disney daytime. Have seen many folks including friends mention how it looks like it's a show for kids. She's not a very popular character, despite being around for a while now, her books never been big draws (to be fair Moon Knight was also not huge). Lacking any connection to the rest of the MCU, she just is totally new, and without any big name star power also, whereas Moon Knight had two big hollywood celebs front and center. There was a whole bunch of stuff stacked against this show really.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
For a show that isn't led by one of the "big MCU stars" and features a Muslim kid in her first acting job as the main character, a show that is so non-white and (even more) unabashedly Muslim, I'd say it's a good number. Could've been better? Sure. I'll take this, however. I've been loving it so far and I definitely prefer it to Obi-Wan Kenobi (something I didn't even imagine before release).

It's a damn good series with a lot of heart and flair and a *much needed* different perspective in the mainstream. So if you're not watching, it's your loss.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That's sad. More people should see it. It's so good. Though I do suppose the hero part of it is a slow burn.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
They may be aiming for that younger demographic, but this elder millennial is loving it so far.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
I'm guilty of not watching it yet. But damn with Stranger Things, Obi-Wan, The Boys, hell I'm even enjoying Strange New Worlds there's a lot of competition for your limited attention out right now.

TGR Sean

Nov 5, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Do we? Because my feeling is that it's seen less marketing investment and the character/IP is far less known than any of the other characters/shows so far other than Moon Knight...who was played by an extremely well-known and liked actor in Oscar Isaac.

I would love to be wrong. For the US population I feel like half of them are looking at this as a "woke" show. I know MCU enthusiasts who didn't watch Falcon and Winter Soldier for that reason, so I assume having a show that has both racial and religious tones to it will turn even more of them off.

I will concede however that the marketing might not have been great, and it does have a flair of being more for teens as opposed to a wider audience.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
The first two episodes have been very good, so hopefully more people tune in. It was nice to see something more lighthearted after the dark but excellent Moon Knight as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm guilty of not watching it yet. But damn with Stranger Things, Obi-Wan, The Boys, hell I'm even enjoying Strange New Worlds there's a lot of competition for your limited attention out right now.
Yea timing matters too.

I would love to be wrong. For the US population I feel like half of them are looking at this as a "woke" show. I know MCU enthusiasts who didn't watch Falcon and Winter Soldier for that reason, so I assume having a show that has both racial and religious tones to it will turn even more of them off.

I will concede however that the marketing might not have been great, and it does have a flair of being more for teens as opposed to a wider audience.
I'm sure there would be some of that from some portion of potential viewers. But I think the other factors mentioned + dropping it when some of the biggest shows that audience would be also interested in (Stranger Things, The Boys, Ozark part 2 coming soon, Obi, etc.) have come out at the same time pulling away a lot of that attention away from this project are the bigger factors.

In retrospect, I don't know if I've seen any marketing for this show outside of threads here.

Last edited:

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reminds me of when I had a coworker who watched every show in Fox's animated lineup except the Cleveland show. She couldn't quite explain why.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
You're surprised that Oscar Isaac's debut in Marvel would have more views than a rather unique/niche show in WandaVision which incorporated 2 of the least popular Avengers?

I'm surprised that a new niche character got more views than two established characters that have starred in 3 Avengers movies and several more MCU movies, yes.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It being the best MCU show is meaningless as the quality is basically MCU. Everyone knows going into a MCU thing not to expect great works or bottom tier nonsense. The hook has always been MCU. This time it's a teenager no one knows about the trailers for it skew heavily towards being more kid stuff. It isn't a no brainer as to why some don't really care. Could also be that there are racists.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Oscar Isaac is a real star.

You're surprised that Oscar Isaac's debut in Marvel would have more views than a rather unique/niche show in WandaVision which incorporated 2 of the least popular Avengers?

As someone who doesn't really follow celebrities, yes; I find that surprising because I didn't know he was that big of a draw. Moon Knight is also a character I had never heard of until the D+ show was announced, and I'm sure plenty of others are in the same boat. I'd say the show itself is by far the most "out there" of the D+ MCU shows so far, with the different personalities, worlds, gods, and overall few direct connections to the overall MCU.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
It's fun and fresh. I enjoyed it and the fact that it makes Muslim life so boring is refreshing.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Eh. Not really. It really is marketed as a kids' show without any real link to the ongoing Marvel saga. I've been watching it (and it's great) but my kids just have no interest on top of that. I assume the budget is lower than the others due to limited action/effects/stars so I'm sure they're doing fine.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watch it. It'll probably be the first thing I haven't watched from the MCU. It's a show aiming at a younger demographic which is something I have no interest in. However, the MCU and Star Wars D+ shows are starting to fall off a cliff for me in terms of quality. I'll probably start watching a lot less them in general. I hope it can find an audience though.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the best MCU things so far, movies included.

Does releasing the same day as Obi-wan have an impact?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The show is excellent but the marketing made it look like more of a Disney Channel thing than it actually is.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't started it yet. With Stranger Things, Better Call Saul, The Boys & Kenobi, it's been on the back burner and I want to watch Multiverse of Madness first when it hits Disney+. I doubt there's any crossover whatsoever there but I want to see MCU chronologically by release.