• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
They're actually doing what people wanted and are doing a lot to define the world the story lies within. Everything about Kamala's family, her friends, her education, her religion, it's not being half assed or left to be assumed, it's fully developed and fleshed out and becomes the cornerstone of the show, rather than it just being yet another super hero story. It's what every single one of the other netflix shows failed to do. It's really great.

There's still time for it to fall on it's face like most of the other shows do but...it's batting 1000 right now.
I think you accurately described what I'm feeling about the show. I've seen hints of that approach in the other MCU shows (Sam's hometown/background in F&WS jumps out as does some of the Kate Bishop stuff in Hawkeye) but I don't think any of the other shows have really gone all-in on showing the individual person's world the way Ms. Marvel has.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think you accurately described what I'm feeling about the show. I've seen hints of that approach in the other MCU shows (Sam's hometown/background in F&WS jumps out as does some of the Kate Bishop stuff in Hawkeye) but I don't think any of the other shows have really gone all-in on showing the individual person's world the way Ms. Marvel has.

Totally. I think most super hero stories, especially origin stories, spend so much time talking about what they can do and never enough about who they are. The whole "powers first so put them up against a villain who has the same powers" thing kind of sucks because it makes the whole thing kind of flat. This show, while still somewhat doing the same power struggle thing, is spending so much more effort on showing what Kamala's world is, what's shaping her, and what is, and what is not, going to motivate her as a super hero.

It really works well.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
The trailers put me off, too much school related.
In sure it's more to it but a boring showing from that, will give it a go when I get d+ once it all drops.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I'm honestly surprised Moon Knight got more views than WandaVision.
It's just a comparison of viewership numbers for the first week. Wandavision started off modestly and kept picking up viewers as it went on. Moon Knight has a bigger name actor and it didn't have to be the very first MCU Disney+ show. Then again, I think that Moon Knight's viewership numbers are surprisingly high in comparison.

Technically Wandavision did, but that's such an oddball show that it's not really fair to compare anything else to it.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who hasn't liked any of the D+ mcu shows this show is quite good. Episode 1 was pretty boring imo but 2 and 3 are the best episodes of D+ shows I've watched.

At the same time I think it's unrealistic to expect Ms. Marvel to do as well as all the other D+ shows which all starred or co-starred film avengers.

I'm sure She Hulk will do better as well since Mark Ruffalo is co-starring, and even if he isn't co-star ring, they are advertising it like he is.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
It's just a comparison of viewership numbers for the first week. Wandavision started off modestly and kept picking up viewers as it went on. Moon Knight has a bigger name actor and it didn't have to be the very first MCU Disney+ show. Then again, I think that Moon Knight's viewership numbers are surprisingly high in comparison.

Technically Wandavision did, but that's such an oddball show that it's not really fair to compare anything else to it.
That's a fair point. I was going to include WandaVision but didn't because the overall approach to the show was so unique and wasn't an apples-to-apples comparison with Ms. Marvel.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I'm honestly surprised Moon Knight got more views than WandaVision.

I tried watching Wandavision and it just doesn't land with me.

Shame cause I like Wanda and Vision.

Moon Knight is more the typical Marvel action with comedic elements, so not surprised it performed better.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Main reason isn't bigotry but the fact that it's not aimed at the usual "older Marvel fan".
And they should have waited until after the final episode of Obi-Wan aired.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Alright, so I've been watching it and really loving it. It has the best start of any MCU show so far and I wish more people watched it.

While some of the arguments people bring up in here to excuse the underwhelming performance of the show are valid, I'm kind of side-eyeing some of the members saying they can't relate to the character considering what I've seen some of them post in threads about muslims. Not gonna name anyone and let me be clear: it's not everyone... But, some of the posters... yeah.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
The weird thing in this show, all that fandom/cosplay/Comic-Con culture feels the same as in our world. But in the show it's all real. It can still be 'escapism' in the sense of a kid having unrealistic goals of being a professional athlete or actor, so it still kind of works, but it's just so weird to me.

It almost feels like the scripts were written as if the story was not actually IN the MCU, and then it was adapted. Like in a world where comic book stuff is not real, or at least not public.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, still waiting for someone to explain me how the ultra dealbreaker of a trailer that makes it look oh so childish

is different from this:

And so far the only thing I'm getting is "You see it's different because I like Spider-Man".

You're not very subtle

Is this a serious question? The first twenty-five seconds of the Spider-Man trailer has Peter stopping a bank robbery. The first twenty-five seconds of the Ms Marvel has Kamala drawing cartoons and talking to her friends with animations and Instagram filter.

The tone is wildly different.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Bummer about the viewership numbers. 3 episodes in, this is (by far) the most well-made MCU show yet. The writing, acting, and cinematography are all just on a completely other level compared to the other D+ shows. Loki came closest, but even that had some episodes that were stinkers (i.e. the train episode)

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Fell off Moon Knight and haven't watched this yet. I'm just done with Marvel TV for a while tbh.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Is this a serious question? The first twenty-five seconds of the Spider-Man trailer has Peter stopping a bank robbery. The first twenty-five seconds of the Ms Marvel has Kamala drawing cartoons and talking to her friends with animations and Instagram filter.

The tone is wildly different.

That's pretty disingenuous. This is not some grim and gritty crime drama like the beginning of The Dark Knight, we see Spidey goofing off and spitting out wisecracks while stopping the robbers.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
That's pretty disingenuous. This is not some grim and gritty crime drama like the beginning of The Dark Knight, we see Spidey goofing off and spitting out wisecracks while stopping the robbers.
We also see the villain *and* see the villain threaten to murder Peter and everyone Peter loves....and not in a fun way, either, in a "I'll fucking do it" way.

Aside from possible government agents, I don't think Ms. Marvel trailer has a clear villain.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
There's a middle ground between The Dark Knight and Ms Marvel, it's not one or the other. Spider-Man jokes around with criminals whether he's 16 or in his 20s but there is an element of threat in the bank robbing scene. If Peter messes up, he dies. What lethal threat is there in the first twenty five seconds of the Ms Marvel trailer?

We also see the villain *and* see the villain threaten to murder Peter and everyone Peter loves....and not in a fun way, either, in a "I'll fucking do it" way.

Aside from possible government agents, I don't think Ms. Marvel trailer has a clear villain.
Indeed and it's Michael Keaton so it's convincing.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
There's a middle ground between The Dark Knight and Ms Marvel, it's not one or the other. Spider-Man jokes around with criminals whether he's 16 or in his 20s but there is an element of threat in the bank robbing scene. If Peter messes up, he dies. What lethal threat is there in the first twenty five seconds of the Ms Marvel trailer?

Indeed and it's Michael Keaton so it's convincing.

You see her getting shot and chased by the government but we're at the point were you're twisting yourself into a pretzel and now only the first seconds count.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

Again, you are exaggerating the level of threat these mooks pose to Spidey. At no point all is he ever in danger of dying and the bank robbery scene is clearly played for laughs.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
You see her getting shot and chased by the government but we're at the point were you're twisting yourself into a pretzel and now only the first seconds count.
It's a minute into a sub 2 minute trailer before Kamala demonstrates any superpowers. That's a majority of the trailer dealing with teen drama stuff. Spider-Man trailer opens with a bank robbery.

There's one very similar scene where both Peter and Kamala are drooling over their love interest. The Ms Marvel scene plays it completely straight, the Spider-Man one has MJ calling Peter a loser. Similar scenes but different tones.

They could have edited together a more actiony Ms Marvel trailer but for whatever reason they decided not to.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely do not understand the fear of watching a Ms. Marvel show. "Oh no, it focuses on a character and their life."

Good.

Good, I say.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Spiderman is often ranked as the number 1 superhero of all time. You can't really compare it to a relatively new character. Spiderman is always going to be more popular.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly do not get the "I can't relate to a teenager" complaints. We all were teenagers at a time, it isn't like you leave those experiences behind when you turn 20.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
And so far the only thing I'm getting is "You see it's different because I like Spider-Man".

You're not very subtle

What's the problem here? What's there to be subtle about?

People have experience and history with Spiderman for decades upon decades. That absolutely makes a difference. My grandfather liked Superman because he grew up with him, but he didn't care about anyone else in a cape. We also have decades of Spiderman movies and TV shows so we have pretty clear expectations of what another Spiderman movie is going to be like. Ms. Marvel doesn't have that luxury and all people have to really go off of is the advertising which makes it looks like a Disney tween show.

I mean, it seems like the argument you're making is because both deal with high school and relationships, they must be aimed at the same audience. There's such a wide swath of content for coming-of-age media, some aimed for kids and some towards adults. Honestly, I'd say more are aimed towards adults, so it's good Disney is making content that kids can enjoy too.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Things I learned, Watching Ms Marvel makes some people feel really uncomfortable. ..

Also the 'I'm not a teen, so I can't relate' I'm a 48 year old dude, and I'm not a teen girl. But I think we can all relate to being a teen? Maybe not the family dynamic (Culture wise - which I do connect with, my mom was korean), but I think we all had issues with our parents.

I mean what is going on with this?

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I'll admit, I still haven't watched it.
The Avengers game kinda soured me on Kamala, the trailers felt a little too "Disney Channel" and The Boys is airing currently too.
I'll definitely watch it but probably has a binge-watch.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I honestly do not get the "I can't relate to a teenager" complaints. We all were teenagers at a time, it isn't like you leave those experiences behind when you turn 20.
I don't know if I could put it into the right words, but I'll try, I think for some people they still have these distinctive dichotomy between this and that. Stuff for girls, stuff for boys, stuff for kids, stuff for adults and they can NEVER mix. And this show has been putting a spotlight on that. It reminds me of the height of the MLP days. You could have something like a cute Winnie the Pooh + Zelda mashup and people are fine with it but a cute harmless MLP+Zelda mashup and it's suddenly "MY EYES! WHAT UNHOLY ABOMINATION IS THIS?!? KILL IT WITH FIRE" Like, why? Because to some people, some things aren't SUPPOSED to mix and MLP was, for the longest time, the girliest of the girly junk sand people couldn't reconcile the idea of it being a general all audience thing.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017

Are people really making blanket statements like this? I feel like people are making up arguments in this thread that aren't going on. I think it's personally reasonable to enjoy one piece of media involving teens, but not another.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Disney puts out certain shows in certain ways to gauge its audience size and demographics

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The weird thing in this show, all that fandom/cosplay/Comic-Con culture feels the same as in our world. But in the show it's all real. It can still be 'escapism' in the sense of a kid having unrealistic goals of being a professional athlete or actor, so it still kind of works, but it's just so weird to me.

It almost feels like the scripts were written as if the story was not actually IN the MCU, and then it was adapted. Like in a world where comic book stuff is not real, or at least not public.

I dunno, I think this still works because the number of people with actual powers in the MCU is still relatively small, so her mom telling her to stop having her head in the clouds makes sense. In fact, I'm curious where they're going with that, because obviously this is a "parents want teen to grow up in a certain way, teen doesn't agree" thing but actually giving her superpowers really changes the narrative. Now it's more like "stop dreaming of being in the NBA" when you're an actual NBA prospect.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm part of the problem, though I def wait till all eps are out in general
Though I'll probably get to it eventually it definitely seems like it's marketed as more toward a younger audience
Which honestly is a good thing, can't always everything be for everyone. I'm glad younger folks have a superhero that deals with issues that are more relatable to them. But yeah I'm not surprised overall viewership is less in comparison

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got caught up. It's definitely geared towards a younger audience compared to the other Marvel Shows. I personally don't mind that, but I'm not going to pretend this isn't the case.

I find it pretty enjoyable.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
People acting as if this show isnt aimed and advertised at a younger audience are performing some serious mental gymnastics in here.