• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
China pursues these claims for the same reason that private companies aggressively fight trademark infringements in court. As soon as China relents, they lose ground in those areas and internationally to claiming them as their sovereign territory.
Sovereignty over a territory is determined by military power, not by courts, though. I don't get the comparison

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. That level of insecurity is well in line with Xi Jinping's. Butthurt much and therefore deserved. lol, imagine pissing off someone by a country selection menu. Offering Taiwan as a country choice is not wrong though when there are two different opinions about whether it belongs to PRC or is a state (ROC) of its own. I feel like Taiwanese wouldn't have a problem with selecting their country, or anyone else except for PRC.
It's not about being insecure, it's about discouraging separatism or its normalization down to the smallest example before it grows more popular. It makes sense for a country whose number one concern is the legitimacy of the Party

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sovereignty over a territory is determined by military power, not by courts, though. I don't get the comparison

The analogy isn't to say that courts determine statehood, but if China doesn't address these issues at every opportunity, it increases the likelihood of their declaring independence. Plus, sovereignty isn't decided only by military force, as it requires international recognition. This is evidenced by Taiwan's losing diplomatic relations with other countries as China begins to lure/force those away too.

Line X

Oct 26, 2017
Being so petty as to being butthurt about Taiwan being called a country...

Shut the fuck up, China.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
The analogy isn't to say that courts determine statehood, but if China doesn't address these issues at every opportunity, it increases the likelihood of their declaring independence. Plus, sovereignty isn't decided only by military force, as it requires international recognition. This is evidenced by Taiwan's losing diplomatic relations with other countries as China begins to lure/force those away too.
They've got international recognition because they've got the bigger guns

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They've got international recognition because they've got the bigger guns

My family is Taiwanese, so I'm far from pro-China in that regard, but this statement makes zero sense. China's power and international prominence has everything to do with economics, not military power. The US didn't open diplomatic relations because of China's guns and neither is SE Asia or Africa opening up their vast raw materials at gunpoint.

Use some facts before spewing uninformed shit opinions.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that what it is?

I mean, kind of? But not really. I've never really used twitter but from what I've seen it seems to be a lot more limited. The apps aren't really 1:1, the main similarity is that your feed is in a vertical timeline. But that's a lot of apps these days.

Also at some point people should kind of get the idea of what it is because every article ever published in English calls it that. At some point you can stop explaining right? I guess it's the AP style guide or something lol.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, kind of? But not really. I've never really used twitter but from what I've seen it seems to be a lot more limited. The apps aren't really 1:1, the main similarity is that your feed is in a vertical timeline. But that's a lot of apps these days.

Also at some point people should kind of get the idea of what it is because every article ever published in English calls it that. At some point you can stop explaining right? I guess it's the AP style guide or something lol.

Chinese social media isn't exactly well know in the US at least. At best they might know what WeChat is.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chinese social media isn't exactly well know in the US at least. At best they might know what WeChat is.

Right, but every article that mentions weibo has to mention that it is Chinese twitter. Just reading the sentence in context without the twitter reference should allow people to figure out enough about what it is. And failing that, for the past 10 years or however long it's been around they always call it Chinese twitter, I just assume that most people reading news out of china will be able to remember what weibo is by the 3rd or 10th time they've seen it. Just annoying pet peeve that's all.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Some crazy Huawei marketing right there.

Chinese Champion Huawei Under Fire for Calling Taiwan a Country

People on the country's Weibo messaging service have expressed outrage that some Huawei and Honor smartphones listed "Taipei (Taiwan)" for users who select as their language of choice traditional Chinese, which is used on the island. Customers who select simplified Chinese — used on the mainland — would see "Taipei (China)." The Weibo topic has been viewed more than 350,000 times, with some calling for a boycott of a telecommunications giant considered one of the country's crown jewels.
Huawei's software has since been modified so that the offending Huawei and Honor phones now show "Taipei (China)," while phones outside China use Taipei with no country after it.

Anyone Chinese "expressing outrage on Weibo" about this is a fucking idiot.

Oct 27, 2017
Right, but every article that mentions weibo has to mention that it is Chinese twitter. Just reading the sentence in context without the twitter reference should allow people to figure out enough about what it is. And failing that, for the past 10 years or however long it's been around they always call it Chinese twitter, I just assume that most people reading news out of china will be able to remember what weibo is by the 3rd or 10th time they've seen it. Just annoying pet peeve that's all.
It's always someone's first time reading about weibo though.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
China pursues these claims for the same reason that private companies aggressively fight trademark infringements in court. As soon as China relents, they lose ground in those areas and internationally to claiming them as their sovereign territory.
This is a good thing tho. Taiwan should be viewed for its independence as a sovereign nation.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is a good thing tho. Taiwan should be viewed for its independence as a sovereign nation.

It doesn't matter if it's a good thing, as it's about the motivation and intent behind China's aggressive rhetoric and actions. China considers as a matter of state policy Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Tibet all part of its nation, and that there is only one China (again, w/r/t Taiwan).