• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California

I know we've had a few AI recreating people threads lately, but this one being able to make such a good recreation from only one picture of them is pretty crazy. The future is going to be an interesting place.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
165595-your-scientists-were-so-preocc-K8Ym.jpeg

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
The future is about to get nuts real quick.
Ehhh, people always say this but it's so easy to tell these apart from their real counterparts.

I'm not talking about analyzing by the naked-eye either.

I for one will be analyzing these myself when people use them in bad faith.

(There will be web-based uploaders to put these into and they'll let you know in a jiffy. There already are for Photoshops of any kind, still can't beat 'em.)

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely see how this could (and will) be used in a bad way, but I also think of uses like letting people "talk" to their lost relatives again, letting elderly who have lost their spouses re-live moments with them, etc.

There is good that can come out of it.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Those animated paintings are fucking cool as shit. Wow.

Expect to see that technology in museums real soon.

yoonshik

Oct 26, 2017
Ehhh, people always say this but it's so easy to tell these apart from their real counterparts.

I'm not talking about analyzing by the naked-eye either.

I for one will be analyzing these myself when people use them in bad faith.
You can tell these apart, but most people won't.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can tell these apart, but most people won't.

For now most people can see fakes, it's part of our natural ability as humans to identify other humans and raise big alarm bells when something trying to be a human isn't matching the dozens of little facial ticks and movements we see on a daily basis.

It's time to create a deep learning AI that can spot deep fakes and remove them from social media platforms.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Single frame deepfakes start at 4:20 mark. This has zero bad implications.

According to the study, the system creates realistic virtual talking heads through applying the facial landmarks of a target face onto a source face -- for example, a still photo -- to allow the target face to control how the source face moves.

"Such ability has practical applications for telepresence, including videoconferencing and multi-player games, as well as [the] special effects industry," Samsung said.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
That is very awesome technology. It could be a game changer for animation, and small studios. Marketing campaigns led by Tesla or Marie Curie...

Oct 27, 2017
Max Headroom wasn't cool in the 80's and I don't particularly relish the future where any person--mostly women, ofc--will be slandered and lied about before the truth about doctoring is brought forth.

We are going to need some very strict laws about this shit which can bankrupt a person/ platform that weaponizes this shit. Doing it for the lolz should get you federal time