RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
www.samsung.com

55" Class OLED S85D | Samsung US

Discover the latest art display TV features and innovations available in the 55" Class OLED S85D.

s85d.jpg

By Chris Welch

In its quest to carve out a chunk of the OLED TV market, Samsung has, until now, focused on the premium end with impressive QD-OLED models. But today, Samsung announced the entry-level S85D series of OLED TVs, bringing the fight to LG Electronics at lower price points as well.

And here's the interesting thing: these sets almost certainly include OLED panels manufactured by LG Display. Samsung placed a big order for them last year to help meet its production needs, establishing a business alliance that would've been unthinkable in the not-too-distant past.

The S85D comes in 55-inch ($1,699.99), 65-inch ($2,099.99), and 77-inch ($3,399.99) sizes — and inevitably, you'll be able to nab them for less once retailers start discounting the lineup.

Digital Trends asked Samsung about the source of the panels in its entry-level OLED TVs, and the company responded with a total nonanswer, saying, "Samsung OLED TVs consistently offer a premium experience while delivering excellent viewing performance powered by our NQ4 AI Gen2 processor, regardless of the specific panels that are integrated into the product."

So Samsung is suggesting that it doesn't matter who's making the panels since you'll be getting all the same upscaling and image processing benefits available from its higher-end QD-OLEDs. That also means that, per usual, these TVs lack Dolby Vision support — unlike LG's OLED family. But hey, you do at least get a native Xbox cloud gaming app on Samsung's Tizen OS platform, which LG can't (yet) say it does. And all four HDMI ports can hit 120Hz; I'm glad that's finally becoming table stakes for TVs in this price range.

But there's no mention of quantum dot color with these models; Samsung is instead highlighting that they offer "Pantone-validated colors" plus "pure blacks and bright whites." That sure makes it sound like the company is using traditional WOLED panels for the S85D to hit its desired price points.
www.theverge.com

Samsung announces new entry-level OLED TVs — likely with LG panels inside

It’s a TV hardware partnership that once seemed unthinkable.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
With that title I was really disappointed when the starting price was announced to be $1,700...

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
>1700
>entry level

what. oleds have been as low as 900 dollars for years. lower if you buy last years model

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
I bought an LG C2 65 inch for $1500 when it was the new TV that year. Those things better go on sale often because that is not an entry level price.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Calling $1,699.99 for a 55" tv "entry-level" is laughable. The LG C3 is a mid-range OLED and you can get the 55" model for $1,399.99.

My kingdom for a 55" OLED that doesn't cost more than $999.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Samsung execs need to take a stroll in any Walmart in the US right now and see the bigass ONN and Vizio TV's stacked up in the electronics area for pennies.

Not saying those are great sets but the average joe on a budget that is going to Walmart regularly for most of their home goods are going to get one of those instead of a $1700 Samsung they don't know the difference between. I know this is about OLED but I don't think OLED and "entry level" should be used in the same sentence at the current moment.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
A 65 S90c is $1600 right now. I know the new model year prices don't last that long but come on.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought "entry level" was like $500-700 range but for THAT price that is just the same as any regular OLED set.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
TVs don't sell for MSRP. These are cheap prices and consumers will pay far less. Though yeah, a shitty Vizio at Walmart is still gonna be cheaper.

PleaseBeKind

Oct 31, 2023
Last year I bit the bullet and got me a tcl qled. Either my eyes don't work or I got scammed by fake marketing because I didn't notice anything crazy.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, what a joke. I was expecting $999 starting price at most, maybe lower. This is just normal pricing for a 55 inch OLED.

Otheradam

Shinra Employee
Nov 1, 2017
Don't even know why anyone would consider these, especially since they still insist on not supporting Dolby Vision.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I got a Philips OLED with HDMI 2.1, 120hz VRR, all that stuff, for just over £700 last year. Now, it was absolutely a deal, but still: entry-level for OLEDs is nowhere near these Samsung prices anymore.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna buy one of these along with my entry level $85,000 Rivian

Hopefully the line drops in price over the years, every year that my RokuTV gets roku updates, the more I want to get a new solid TV that isn't tied to that device and slap an apple TV on it.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the MSRP always ridiculous for these TVs, but after a few months see heavy discounts at retailers? Pretty sure the 55" LG B3 OLED TV was $1700-$1800 on release but was quickly discounted to sub $1300.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This price is dumb for an "entry" OLED. I bought their 77" S89C from Best Buy a few months ago at this price.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Well then it's no surprise that these are higher priced than a 2 year old tv.
They have a higher launch price. These are the 2022 prices of LG's entry level.
  • LG A2 OLED 48-inch (OLED48A2UPA): $999 (list price: $1,299)
  • LG A2 OLED 55-inch (OLED55A2UPA): $899 (list price: $1,299)
  • LG A2 OLED 65-inch (OLED55A2UPA): $1,499 (list price: $1,599)
The 55 inch Samsung list price is higher than the 65 inch LG list price. That's a lot of extra money for the HDMI 2.1 advantages minus Dolby Vision. If LG skips the A series for the US again we essentially lost the whole actual budget OLED selection and replaced it with LG B pricing.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Entry level? Lmfao

I game on all sorts of dog shit all the time so I'm happy with my Hisense google tv for a bit but man I would really like OLED to become affordable one of these days… at least what I would consider affordable

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought Sonys flagship OLED from over a year ago for $1000. Do better Samsung.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
I just bought Sonys flagship OLED from over a year ago for $1000. Do better Samsung.
But the TV was a year old - how much will this TV be when it's a year old?

Some odd comparisons in here. This will drop on the same gradient as TVs launching at $2k or whatever - its not going to launch at discounted prices, so comparing it to buying 1-2 year old models on run out just isn't going to be comparable.