• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
While I agree with you in principle this debacle goes way past it just being gen 1 tech. This gen 0 tech. It's not even ready for production at any level.
I'm back and forth on that. After watching the MKBHD video, he mentions that only 4 review copies had issues, that's not a huge number. Clearly, the plastic covering is a weird choice, but 4 out of a few hundred devices and two of which the users pulled the plastic off themselves (due to lack of warning that now exists on the packaging) isn't a ton.

Unless he missed some.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm back and forth on that. After watching the MKBHD video, he mentions that only 4 review copies had issues, that's not a huge number. Clearly, the plastic covering is a weird choice, but 4 out of a few hundred devices and two of which the users pulled the plastic off themselves (due to lack of warning that now exists on the packaging) isn't a ton.

Unless he missed some.

If these problems are profound enough that they had to basically cancel the this close to launch its a substantial problem that would have only gotten worse the more units were released to the public.

And a warning label to not pull what obviously looks like the standard removable screen protector is ridiculous. What tablet or phone ships with a vital component of the screen that can be peeled off? Who reads those warnings? Usually it states generic warnings. So there would still be a subset of users that'd pull it off.

It's just piss poor design combined with apparently no QC or usability tests.There's no getting around it.

Oct 25, 2017

Unless he missed some.
The fact that two tech-savvy journalists peeled the critical protective film off so easily should tip you off that it is a major design flaw that would have only been amplified in mass circulation. Add that to the other two units that kept the film and still failed, and the other reports of peeling or bubbles collecting with less than a week of use, and you've got a PR disaster. Samsung made the right call here.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, the fact that they sold phones with exploding batteries and didnt even scratch them from losing the top marketshare... They will be fine with this.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, YouTube just put the first of an estimated ten UnboxTherapy videos on the delay in my recommended feed. You'd think they'd know better at this point

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
So the units that are on hands of reviewers are gonna become rare pieces now huh?? The aspect of the device might change either slightly or completely next time we see it.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
You can't be the first person to do it if you don't release it.

If you look at the history of smartphones, this is a stupid way to release your product. The smartphone market was littered with poor attempts until Apple set the standard of what a smartphone should be. Being the first to release a new product category is meaningless if it does not set a new standard in the field.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
If you look at the history of smartphones, this is a stupid way to release your product. The smartphone market was littered with poor attempts until Apple set the standard of what a smartphone should be. Being the first to release a new product category is meaningless if it does not set a new standard in the field.

I agree, but why else would they have still released it? There no way this wasn't a known issue.

Jul 26, 2018
Its crazy for me thinking that I wanted to buy this phone from a Iphone 5s. Massive upgrade but $2K for a phone that can be damaged easily isn't worth it imo... too risky. Glad I went for the S10+.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Probably won't happen but hopefully this gives people pause before they go to extreme lengths to protect a corporate entity.

They don't give even half a shit about you.

No way they didn't know these issues before they were willing to toss it out there and take $2000 from you.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
This will make an interesting retrospective video in like ~10 years. Especially if they end up cancelling it completely it will be like a 'Did you know about one of the first foldable phones? Only a few were released to reviewers and a working model now goes for $75,000!'

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Unless he missed some.
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/samsung-confirms-delay-galaxy-fold-release-172315244--finance.html

It says only 50 review units send out to reviewers in US.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i just don't understand how this issue wasn't picked up on before review units were sent out. It makes no sense at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely feels like different parts of samsung felt differently about this. Guess the phone division felt like these minor issues were within tolerate range for what they want... but all these news article hitting the news, trending on twitter etc. Bet the top honcho's at samsung felt differently.

Huawei will be the first then

funny enough, there are rumors huawei are looking at delaying until september. Guess they are looking at this stuff too and might not wanna show their hand first.

Oct 25, 2017

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine dropping that phone.

I think this is gonna end up being a phase that's gonna blow over, like 3D TV's.

I think they'll eventually figure it out, but they'll need way stronger materials then just plastic or glass. Like graphine or some advanced composite materials. These devices honestly need to be tougher then even a standard phone because of the amount of stress they'll endure on top of the usual wear and tear a phone receives. If the best they can do is cover the screens in plastic then there needs to be many more years of R&D before they release them to be public.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Has there ever been a product launch that had failures this prominent in the review batch? Nothing comes to mind for me. Maybe the iPhone's antenna-gate, but that was more after it went for sale.
I forget if the red ring of death for Xbox360 affected reviewers or if they got special units to use. I know once it hit the public the failure rate was spectacular. I personally know someone who had to return 7-8 360's before he finally got one that worked. And in my gaming circle of friends it was pretty much the norm that anyone who had one had to return at least 1 unit if not a 2nd or 3rd to get a decent one.

In any case I know that the failure rate for a 360 started high and I believe hit at least 50%+ within a year of use.

For curisoity sake I would be interested what the Fold's public failure rate looked like in the same time period, as phones tend to be put to more physical abuse than gaming consoles. Just seeing the images of dents on the plastic after minimal use, these things would probably resemble a golf ball after a year.

Someone in this thread posted a link to how I think Nokia phones were tested. I want to see the Fold put in that vibrating drawer with those sharp cones for 6 hours. xD

Oct 27, 2017
Seems the Fold should never have been more than a concept device with what comes after being the consumer device.

Samsung jumped the gun.

Probably be the same for Huawei

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Has there ever been a product launch that had failures this prominent in the review batch? Nothing comes to mind for me. Maybe the iPhone's antenna-gate, but that was more after it went for sale.
The iPhone 4's antenna problem was due to all the field testing being done in a plastic disguise that made it resemble a 3GS. As a result, fingers never touched the wraparound antenna band, and the loss of signal never occured during testing.

The Fold's problem is that it probably never even got field testing. You can't disguise a folding phone.