• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
But I thought they said all you needed to do was not remove the totally removable, totally non-functional film from the screen?

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
They did the right thing. It's a brand new screen tech if you want people to adopt it first impression's matter.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Won't the protective peel probably degrade overtime and will fail which will cause the screen to fail no matter what they do? All the tests are in perfect conditions but in the real world it won't be like that ?

Oct 27, 2017
What can they do within a month?
Pray people forget what a clusterfuck this was. Otherwise nothing. They can't completely redesign it in a month, so either they're writing up rigid guidelines on how one should go about using the phone and putting them in the retail boxes, or they're never going to release this iteration of it. Either scenario is a huge, deserved clusterfuck.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
It's still mindblowing to think all this while Samsung thought a fucking sticker flim is the solution to folding phones?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
What can they do within a month?
Mayyyybe they can preinstall that layer so that it's hidden under the seam that the layer it's ontop of his protected by?

That would be ideal, but I don't know if it's plausible. Of course, that still only counters one issue, and I have to imagine that shit getting under the screen potentially breaking it won't be easily fixed.

Even if it's a lump of modelling clay because the Verge used some to mount the phone at one point, if that can get in there, well, plenty of stuff can get in there.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how many of these they actually made.

I hope the form factor succeeds in the future.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Mayyyybe they can preinstall that layer so that it's hidden under the seam that the layer it's ontop of his protected by?

That would be ideal, but I don't know if it's plausible. Of course, that still only counters one issue, and I have to imagine that shit getting under the screen potentially breaking it won't be easily fixed.

Even if it's a lump of modelling clay because the Verge used some to mount the phone at one point, if that can get in there, well, plenty of stuff can get in there.

how, the phones are already assembled and in boxes

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
I researched an article on how Nokia phones are designed once and encountered a neat titbit from engineers about a thing they do with new phones internally called the gorilla test that basically involves handing them off to their burliest co-worker, or sometimes even a toddler and asking them to try break it with their bare hands. The idea is that all the tests they do with machines can't replicate the kind of abuse a phone might get in real life or if your kid picks it up or something.

I'm wondering how quickly the issues with the screen of the Fold and how easy it seemingly is to remove would have been discovered if Samsung adopted that test because it's baffling to me that nobody internally thought to try and pull on the screen to see if it would come off.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
What the bloody hell is up with these threads? The incessant baiting and fishing for arguments is pathetic.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I'm guessing this was rushed out to try and meet the Galaxy 10 Year Anniversary. It's rare for an industry-leading corporation to be straight up incompetent. These problems should easily have come up during long-term endurance testing.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Mad Magazine was still relevant. I'm sure the back cover would have something to say. Get 'em Jaffee!

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
It's not on the market yet. And it's not blowing up with potential to cause injury. How you see the Fold as worse is beyond me
Yeah you basically proved my point. Latent flaws are much harder to find than obvious ones. Why is this even an argument? Two days of playing with a phone breaks the screen that's a huge and obvious flaw.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
Just an educated guess, but my take is that once the screens went into mass production they were even weaker than Samsung thought (been a while since anyone used plastic screens on a high end phone...) leading to the "mandatory/pre-installed screen protector" thing being added at the last minute (after mass production had begun) and Samsung just hoping that everything would work out. And clearly......it hasn't. I would imagine they are trying to see if they can salvage it by using a different pre-installed screen protector or by modifying the way it's installed, or something, rather than re-engineering the entire phone.

Oct 27, 2017
I assume they can't fundamentally change the design issues or the manufacturing process in a month, so I expect they're just updating the packaging and covering it with caveats/warnings and probably updating any user manual text or warranty text that comes with the phone to be more robust in terms of protecting Samsung from what, if the early impressions hold steady, will be a shitstorm of broken devices.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'm glad they admitted the failiure. But what an embarrassment.

They wanted to beat the market but they really fucked it up.

Oct 27, 2017
The truth. I have no love for corporations in general, but Samsung's corruption in their dealings in South Korea is on a whole different level. They are rotten to the core.

Can you tell me any nice company?

Apple ain't great. Huawei are corrupt in China. All big companies have done shady stuff hence why they get so big. Amazon, Microsoft etc whatever they all have done shady stuff in the past.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a big blow to them because this will be costly, time-consuming, and even less will buy it from the bad press (although I don't think this was ever expected to sell a lot of units).

This also really hurts for them because the reviews were generally pretty positive from a software standpoint. Hardware wise was definitely a failure (externally).

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This is such a big blow to them because this will be costly, time-consuming, and even less will buy it from the bad press (although I don't think this was ever expected to sell a lot of units).

This also really hurts for them because the reviews were generally pretty positive from a software standpoint. Hardware wise was definitely a failure (externally).
Yeah, I suspect this was always meant to be something made in very limited numbers, and wasn't expected to make them much money, but it was meant to do positive things for their company image, and lay the groundwork for subsequent folding displays to be high volume products.

And that's been jeopardized.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
I appreciate Samsung for trying something different and unique in mobile phones for once, where everything looks completely the same to the point the only thing that's different now on each model is just the amount of cameras it can have. But yeah this product certainly looks it wasn't ready to launch to the masses just yet. In fact, I believe this whole foldable tech still needs a year or two in the oven to truly shine and make an impact on society because right now, it still looks like a very fragile, expensive and unnecesary luxury. It does certain things better but it does other things worse and the latter outweights the former judging by the reviews, and on top of that the 24/7 paranoia that a funky movement you do might break the fragile screen. I say, if you truly need a perfect 2 screen/foldable experience, just use a damn 3DS lol.

Feb 1, 2018
Samsung has a penchant for rushing products to market and then suffering from hilarious PR disasters from the poor quality control

What's their plan for this one? The units are definitely already packed and shipped out to retailers. Maybe some kind of mandatory repair/upgrade program like they did with the Note 7 bomb phone? Definitely a stop on all further sales until a new revision B model is quietly released that has either a stronger permanent adhesive for the screen protector or they can redo the substrate so the film is bonded into it deeper. And lots and lots of warning stickers all over the plastic wrap.

Last edited:

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Hopefully it's all ironed out. I'd love to buy a $350 version of this in a couple years. Tablet mode would be awesome for sitting on the couch or on a plane.

Oct 27, 2017
Can you tell me any nice company?

Apple ain't great. Huawei are corrupt in China. All big companies have done shady stuff hence why they get so big. Amazon, Microsoft etc whatever they all have done shady stuff in the past.
No, but Apple and Microsoft haven't managed to bring down their national governments by bribing their Head of State. None of them have had their chairman arrested and jailed on corruption charges either.

As I said, corporations are indeed dodgy, but Samsung are a whole different level.

Oct 29, 2017
Terrible look. The Fold I demoed was nice but if these many review units already had problems it reeks of being rushed to the market.

Too bad, and they had a shitton of good press from the awesome Galaxy S10 (seriously, best phone I've ever owned). Shot themselves right in the foot with this blunder.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Samsung's smart to delay it. It could've been a catastrophe like with the infamous Note 7 scandal/fiasco.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Clearly it's the apple fanboys and biased journalists doing FUD, not an actual flaw with the product! /s

It's hard not to believe there is some of this going on. But just like the Note 7, some of this is on Samsung. They know there are people looking for an excuse to dump on them. If this idea takes off it's a huge threat to the high end American makes that don't have the tech yet. So there are Axes to grind all over the place.

It's inexcusable to launch a major product like this with this many defects. They had to know. I wonder if their testing machines weren't varied enough. Or maybe they're afraid Google and Apple will have foldables next year so they were willing to risk a shaky launch to get out first. In any event, the reviews I have seen all praise the design so it's still the future. The future might just be a little further off. I kinda wish Microsoft would do a full version of Windows on a foldable with mobile data and calling.