• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
This tech isn't ready for consumer use, clearly. At least few more years in the oven.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully it's all ironed out. I'd love to buy a $350 version of this in a couple years. Tablet mode would be awesome for sitting on the couch or on a plane.
That's what I'm waiting for. I haven't been on or cared about flagship/bleeding edge phones since the Note 2, so this at a quarter of the price in a few years would've been up my alley.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't hate on a product that was never released. Even if they pulled the release because 'they were caught' way sooner than anticipated, I'd rather they take the L on this one instead of selling people a faulty product.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard not to believe there is some of this going on. But just like the Note 7, some of this is on Samsung. They know there are people looking for an excuse to dump on them. If this idea takes off it's a huge threat to the high end American makes that don't have the tech yet. So there are Axes to grind all over the place.

It's inexcusable to launch a major product like this with this many defects. They had to know. I wonder if their testing machines weren't varied enough. Or maybe they're afraid Google and Apple will have foldables next year so they were willing to risk a shaky launch to get out first. In any event, the reviews I have seen all praise the design so it's still the future. The future might just be a little further off. I kinda wish Microsoft would do a full version of Windows on a foldable with mobile data and calling.

There would not be anything for supposed fanboys to harp on if Samsung didn't make a phone that had a glaring flaw, so I'd say it's ALL on Samsung, and they deserve whatever dunking they get

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
From the company that brought you the Note 7.

From which they bounced back without long term damage and still made billions after. Sure as shit didn't affect the critical and commercial acclaim of the note 9.

People will care for a little while,but then the ooooh shiny shiny effect will come into play and they will buy the fold, or a sequel of it. Sammy is almost too big to fail. Plus they have like, the ENTIRE galaxy S10 series to pick up the slack.

This is even less of an issue compared to the note 7. The extremely high price if the fold won't hurt the bottom line much, Samsung hasn't made many of these. They aren't making millions of folds unlike the note series. It's a very niche, ultra luxury device which caters to a select market.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Not shocking. Seems like they rushed this to market just to be first. Even without the problems, some reviewers mention that the screen gets dents on it basically just from a couple days of normal use. Could you imagine how one would look after a few months?

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Really weird how a tech that people are already nervous of breaking could break so easily. They've got to rethink it.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
At least it happened before release.

Can you imagine the shit storm of having to issue a massive recall for one of their phones again?

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine any huge changes for a month+ delay. Most likely some more warning labels.

Hopefully this does make it on the market and isn't canned. Might be painful for Samsung now, but the feedback good and bad from the public is vital for this form factor to succeed.

I'd totally buy one of these, warts and all if it had stylus support, so I'm waiting.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
"We want our customers to have the best experience possible which is why, after initial feedback, we have decided to delay the release of the category-changing Galaxy Fold to make sure it measures up to the high standards we know you expect from us," the company said. "We plan to announce the [new] release date in the coming weeks."

tech PR speak always amuses me

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
No longer delayed a month. Now it's delayed indefinitely while they research ways to strengthen the screen.
They're gonna have to thoroughly inspect the phones they've taken back, figure out the causes of the damage, consider scenarios they hadn't considered before, do some R&D to counter those scenarios, prototype the hell out of it to avoid further embarrassment, retool their manufacturing if it's more than a new sticker, and roll it out again.

Don't be surprised if this slips to 2020, kids.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Any basic due diligence would have revealed this flaw. Hyper aggressive timelines are dumb. Take your time. Do it as close to right as possible.

Can't just shit out a $2,000 device with no quality control. Well, maybe if you're Dell but phones and tablets are a different market.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Something like this should've been in the pocket of a few Samsung employees for the last year. It needs to be tested daily for months.

Oct 27, 2017
so is all the manufactured inventory that rare already being pushed through channels just going into a scrap heap? that's wild.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can almost guarantee there are engineers walking through the office barely able to hold back their "I told you so" from the managers.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say so, too. If the screen fails without that screen protector (they even said it's meant to protect it from scratches), this thing wasn't anywhere near ready for consumers. Incidentally, you know how some screen protectors start lifting up at the edges over time? I wonder if it would have even held up after a few months of use if the film started peeling off.

IIRC there were reports of the film (untouched by tech reviewers) starting to acquire bubbles and corner peeling after a few days of normal use.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
IIRC there were reports of the film (untouched by tech reviewers) starting to acquire bubbles and corner peeling after a few days of normal use.
OK, I was trying to give them a bit of a break on this one as rolling out brand new tech is never easy but how in the hell did they think a film that flimsy was an acceptable solution to protect the screens on a $2000 product?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really bizarre that they were willing to launch it in that state.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think for the initial run just call it the unFold and you just open it up when you get it and it locks in that position forever.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Looks like Samsung folded. Badonk badonk.

I mean just looking at it, it doesn't look sturdy at all. Prototypes should go through extensive R&D before it should be released but this is obvious a shareholders let's get this crap to the market first so we can write history deal.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Did Apple ever manufacture any AirPower mats? Seemed like it never got past the prototyping stage.
It would be so interesting to read about how AirPower turned into such a disaster. Some users on Reddit noticed that their 2nd gen AirPods were manufactured in September. Also, the AirPods wireless charging case still shows AirPower on the back of the box so, at one point, it looks they were very certain it would be ready for the iPhone XS and XR event in September and when that didn't happen the new AirPods were delayed. This would also explain why the 2nd gen AirPods were shown in a video at that event but not mentioned at all.

Wow.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Unless they can figure out a way to make glass fold in a month, I don't see how this helps.

EDIT: it's an indefinite delay now.

Last edited:

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
No longer delayed a month. Now it's delayed indefinitely while they research ways to strengthen the screen.

This statement from Samsung made me a bit curious, especially given all the reports about the Fold's screen damaging easily, so I went and looked up some of the internal Nokia durability tests I was half remembering for screens on electric devices and holy shit they're kinda silly. My favourite being one where they put a phone in a draw full of sharp plastic cones and vibrate the whole thing for like 6 hours straight to simulate a lifetime of the device jingling around in your pocket along side keys and junk.

While the article is specifically about Nokia, every major phone manufacturer reportedly conducts similar tests for months on all of their devices. I can't fathom how something Samsung is investing as much money in as the Fold got through development without a test like this highlighting how prone to damage the screen is.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It's bizarre how easy it is to remove a plastic film that is so vital to the phone's ability to function.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder what happens to all the people who pre-ordered it. If they're going to making hardware changes to the design (as they should) then I can't see this phone being released anything earlier then a year from now.

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017
What an absolute lol-fest.

Sure in five years this tech could be cool, but I have no idea why Samsung were so hellbent on rushing this to the market.

As they say in the tech biz, you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

Also, has anyone checked on Grizzle Boy? Hope he's doing ok after this news.