• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does a foldable phone interest you?

• Yes

Votes: 280 38.7%
  • No

Votes: 139 19.2%
  • I'll wait for my manufacturer of choice to implement it

Votes: 38 5.3%
  • Not sure, want to see in person

Votes: 266 36.8%

• Total voters

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.patentlymobile.com/2018...-foldable-smartphone-invention-this-week.html

On October 11th the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) published a patent application from Samsung covering a foldable device, never referring to it as a smartphone in any shape or form. There were no points of reference pointing to wireless connectivity.

This week USPTO published another patent-pending foldable display device from Samsung, the most common form factor in recent months. In this patent application Samsung reveals an interface on the front display that is a part of what is known in the industry as a 'fold out' design

Very technical breakdown in the link, patent image here:

6a0168e68320b0970c022ad39c4642200d-pi

Very interested

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll gladly feel dumb in 5 years saying this now, but why ... exactly do "we" want foldable phones?
For when you want to read a comic or watch a movie on your phone, but then want to be back in phone mode. Kind of like how the camera laptop and cellphone got merged into the smart phone.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The gap in the middle when folded looks problematic.

There has to be a reason they went with that route. It reminds me of some laptops.

Maybe perfectly folding version is more likely to break? Or no line in the middle?

Edit- oooh.

Maybe so it can be set to various positions.

Samsung-flexible-display.jpg

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'd rather have a foldable phone that has the screen on the inside.

Wouldn't be usable without opening it, but at least the screen would be less exposed (no way a screen protector will work on foldable phones).

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely want this. But its several generations out right now. We arent going to get the good shit on foldables for probably 10 years. I appreciate the innovation though. It all starts somewhere, so Ill be watching.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This would be cool for a newspaper style device, but would sem unwieldy for a phone. People dont like wallets cause they fold.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think I'd rather have a foldable phone that has the screen on the inside.

Wouldn't be usable without opening it, but at least the screen would be less exposed (no way a screen protector will work on foldable phones).

You bring up a good point, I imagine since the screen has to be flexible it'd be made of plastic, not only will these 1st gen foldables be expensive but they might also feel cheap.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I know we aren't friends anymore signal but WOW
Compared to that render, it is!

Even if the use case was limited I'd rather some dumb novelty clamshell than two thin phones hinged together. Flexible displays are still bad so even that curved outside layer would maybe suck. We'll see but I want my ironic retro clamshells!!

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You bring up a good point, I imagine since the screen has to be flexible it'd be made of plastic, not only will these 1st gen foldables be expensive but they might also feel cheap.
Eh I mean screen protectors aren't really necessary anymore with how good the glass screens have gotten right?

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it can't be glass, because glass doesn't fold. And because it won't be glass, it's gonna scratch. Not interested in these.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the idea of a foldable phone, if they can get the tech right and sort out the issues. The main problem I'd have is I don't want one if it effectively doubles the thickness of current phones when closed. I carry my phone in my pocket and if they can't get the pholdable* down to the same or less thickness, I'm not interested.

*copyright raYne_07

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Eh I mean screen protectors aren't really necessary anymore with how good the glass screens have gotten right?
My S9+ got a deep gouge in the screen from basically a 1-2 ft drop. And it was in a case too.

First time in over 6 years I've had a phone get a gouge like that. I haven't gotten confirmation about it (scratch tests seem to hold up), but I've heard that newer screen glass is strong against shattering, but weaker against smaller damage like that.
Regardless, phones are too damn expensive these days that I'm not going to own one without a protector now. I want the max amount of return when I sell it in a year or two.

Plus this phone will probably not be using glass because of the flexibility, unless there's some cool new type of bendy glass.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ditto to others that I'm down for this, but what we really are down for is like the 5th version of this.

Gotta start somewhere as others have said. So YOLO and all.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there's a gap in it like in the OP's picture i'm not sure i'd like that. Seems just awkward and bulkier than just having a slimmer but longer phone in my pocket. Ultimately i'd have to see it, but i'd be all over a foldable phone if it's done right.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
it doesn't even make sense when you figure that like 90% of phone users have ugly phone cases on.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Early adopters will go nuts for the first gen, but I'm highly skeptical it will look good or feel good in the hand. I think it's an inevitable direction to go in though, as long as the tech progresses.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I can't wait to see it, because I'm painful sure it's a comically bad idea.