• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does a foldable phone interest you?

• Yes

Votes: 280 38.7%
  • No

Votes: 139 19.2%
  • I'll wait for my manufacturer of choice to implement it

Votes: 38 5.3%
  • Not sure, want to see in person

Votes: 266 36.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldnt go near this until several generations in and even then id be weary.

Im utterly unconvinced this would be able to put up with the abuse of a typical 2-3 year smartphone ownership.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Ah like the yotaphone,
yotaphone-2.jpg

Experimental Android from Russia quite a few years back, had an e ink screen on the back showing just basic stuff like time, notifications, etc

I remember this too. I was thinking something more Kindle-esque, but as long as this could do e-books and phone functions and the like I'd be happy with it.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Looks like ass. Would rather have a smart watch phone with hologram display onto my glasses

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If this folds a regular sized smartphone in half I'm interested. If it's as the patent application I'm not.

If they've ripped off the Surface Book hinge properly then it'd have zero durability issues.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Too bad that phone reviewed like shits. How do you make an e-ink hybrid with no advantages at all to battery life

Wow, really? The battery didn't drain any slower when using the e-ink? Weird. I would imagine my foldable version running in a lower power mode when closed along with the e-ink screen, I'd have to think that would last a while.

Wear and tear on the fold and high price point would make it hard no rn, can't see it being suitable for heavy use.

The high price point will be there but there's no way they'd have major wear and tear on the fold. I remember hearing years ago that folding screen prototypes had improved to the point that after being opened and closed 100,000 times, all they suffered was a 5% loss of brightness along the fold point. Even if that wasn't the case, there's no way they'd even be bringing this phone out if they hadn't solved such an obvious problem.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
The high price point will be there but there's no way they'd have major wear and tear on the fold. I remember hearing years ago that folding screen prototypes had improved to the point that after being opened and closed 100,000 times, all they suffered was a 5% loss of brightness along the fold point. Even if that wasn't the case, there's no way they'd even be bringing this phone out if they hadn't solved such an obvious problem.
That's impressive if so, but until we see it in circulation where it's under more rigorous use, I'd still be wary. How durability is affected by knocks or dust/lint in the mechanical parts.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
That's impressive if so, but until we see it in circulation where it's under more rigorous use, I'd still be wary. How durability is affected by knocks or dust/lint in the mechanical parts.

You're right, and I'm certain that at least some units will suck, same as how every phone model has a few that catch fire. But I do think solving this problem is precisely why foldable screens have taken so long to come out. We've been hearing about them for years and years, I remember showing a video of one to people back around 2012.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am psyched for it, but at the same time the first generation is probably going to be a complete shit show

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like MS have already ordered panels for their phone/foldable via Samsung.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Ah like the yotaphone,
yotaphone-2.jpg

Experimental Android from Russia quite a few years back, had an e ink screen on the back showing just basic stuff like time, notifications, etc
Wow! Thanks for showing me this. I've heard the name before but never seen it; that looks beautiful!
Oof really going hard into this aren't you? Airpower is designed to charge 3 devices at once, wirelessly. You don't need 20+ coils to do that, and clearly Apple is having a hard time doing it. Might wanna take a step back and relax, unless you have some sort of vested interest in Apple finally figuring out how to charge 3 devices at once...
Did this guy or gal really deserve a ban due to platform warring? I've seen much, much worse on this very site over longer periods lol

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Apple being shook and then release their version a few years from now
They already have several similar patents so it wouldn't surprise me if they and other vendors were already working on similar hardware. That said though, this definitely seems like a thing I wouldn't want to be an earlier adopter for - so count me in with the "i'll Wait for several revisions to see how it pans out" crowd.

Ayyy — just saw that TI92 got a timeout... he was spending way too much time in Apple threads and creating Apple-related threads for someone who clearly had little interest in the company. Definitely the type to sub to /r/android but spend most of his time trolling /r/apple.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
^ hands-on impressions with the Royole FlexPai

TheVerge: We tried the world's first folding phone, and it actually works
It should be said that this device is very much a first-generation product. The software seemed extremely sluggish, apps continuously opened accidentally, and the orientation kept changing randomly when one of the Royole representatives was demonstrating the folding process. That, to me, indicates that the company's custom Water OS (a fork of Android 9.0, Royole says) is probably not the most robust operating system just yet.

Still, this is much more about the hardware innovation of making a virtually unbreakable AMOLED display, with a reasonable enough battery that can sustain the folding process. Royole says the screen can withstand being folded 200,000 times. (What happens after that was not made immediately clear.)

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna stick with the flat slab of glass that we currently have. Foldable phones is just a return to a bulk that I no longer want. Sure, current smartphones are too slim, but I don't want all of that extra mass.

I got enough stuff in my pockets as it is.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
If Apple made it you'd find something nice to say though :p
Nope, it's a truly awful idea. I like Samsungs phones, actually more than any of their rivals. I still think the S9 is the best physical handset so far. Notches suck and motorized parts are beyond stupid. Samsung are still leading in design for me... But foldable? Nah dawg.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Nope, it's a truly awful idea. I like Samsungs phones, actually more than any of their rivals. I still think the S9 is the best physical handset so far. Notches suck and motorized parts are beyond stupid. Samsung are still leading in design for me... But foldable? Nah dawg.
They'll probably have some cool gimmicks. Simply presenting a foldable phone is eh. They need to show us why we need it.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in a folder but not sure if practical... Cool scifi tech though

I dont think the s8 series is the best looking phone myself. I actually quite like the iPhone designs up until the X which are truly ugly phones.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
They'll probably have some cool gimmicks. Simply presenting a foldable phone is eh. They need to show us why we need it.
The only concept I feel would have any real world value would be one like a roll of camera film. So when it's closed, it's a small tube with a flat edge, and just that edge is displayed, then you extend it and it somehow remains flat. I don't think I'd want that device, but I think it has some value. But a wallet phone? With a giant thick hindge? And it's going to be crazy expensive?

It kind of seems like a disaster waiting to happen. And even worse it's happening when the Galaxy hits 10 years old. It should be some come to Jesus redemption moment. They should be going HAM. Put practically stock Android on there too. Really make something that everyone just swoons over.

This is an ugly distraction waiting to happen. But we shall see. You are clearly more optimistic than I.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Sure, just a stepping stone to the next thing.

Memory materials from DXHR were cool. Imagine rolling up your phone to squeeze in your pocket but in your hand it becomes a solid rigid slate. Plus animated newspapers thats been in every sci-fi movie that depicts the future.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Poor Samsung....

Apple and Samsung always stay with the same design for 2 generations get Samsung always gets killed for not changing the design. Apple kept the design for the 6 and 7.

Apple kept the same design for the x and xs. Yet Samsung gets killed for S8 and s9 having the same design.

Yeah exactly. How many years has it been from iphone 6 to XS? Yet not one word from reviewers about the recycled design.

People who take note and complain about that get jumped on by fanboys - 'it's a slab of screen, how many ways can you redesign it?'
Well for starters, you could bend and fold the screen sides into the case.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, probably gonna be a while before the tech is mature enough for a sleek design.

Just looking at this video here...I can already see about 900 different ways to break this phone. Phone insurance is gonna be crazy. Customer service reps are gonna have nightmares for days when this tech fully launches.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
I would have thought the solution is to get to a true edge-to edge screen. Then you just have two flat screens that snap together when the device is opened.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have thought the solution is to get to a true edge-to edge screen. Then you just have two flat screens that snap together when the device is opened.
youll still have a little seam, kind of like "360 monitors" people have for their game setups

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
they have the other phones too, the S10 should be revolutionary with it's underscreen sensors/camera/speaker and graphene battery tech
I guess we'll see how it's positioned. If the S and Note are still like the main things and this is like 'We made this freaky thing if you're into that stuff', but the Galaxies remain the big push, then I think it'll be easier to consider it an experiment, rather than a failed replacement of their flgship, if that makes any sense.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we'll see how it's positioned. If the S and Note are still like the main things and this is like 'We made this freaky thing if you're into that stuff', but the Galaxies remain the big push, then I think it'll be easier to consider it an experiment, rather than a failed replacement of their flgship, if that makes any sense.
sure, that's what it seems like. Rumors are they drop the S from the main phones so it's just Samsung Galaxy 10, 10+, 10(Small?), Note 10 and the Galaxy "F" for the folding one.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
sure, that's what it seems like. Rumors are they drop the S from the main phones so it's just Samsung Galaxy 10, 10+, 10(Small?), Note 10 and the Galaxy "F" for the folding one.
A small would be cool to see. They've made like smaller S models or similar smaller phones, but they've always been after the fact and kind of b-tier. If their flagship line has a small form factor entry from day one, they'll be the only manufacturer doing it at this point. Could be a good move.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A small would be cool to see. They've made like smaller S models or similar smaller phones, but they've always been after the fact and kind of b-tier. If their flagship line has a small form factor entry from day one, they'll be the only manufacturer doing it at this point. Could be a good move.
well them and Sony, and apple tried it a couple times. I would love for it to become a trend again, phones are ludicrously large these days...

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
phones are so fucking boring these days, anything to make them more interesting. Bring back clamshells and sliders.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I always forget my folded tissues in my pants when i put them in the washing Machine.

Imagine you forget the folded phone :D