• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does a foldable phone interest you?

• Yes

Votes: 280 38.7%
  • No

Votes: 139 19.2%
  • I'll wait for my manufacturer of choice to implement it

Votes: 38 5.3%
  • Not sure, want to see in person

Votes: 266 36.8%

• Total voters

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Zero interest in gen 1 or 2. When a breakthrough in battery technology comes and gen 5 or 6 fold tech then it will be amazing.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If they can get it to work, would be the first real innovation in mobile tech in a LOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Hell yes. Getting the screen right, getting the battery life right. Finding the right physical design. Whew.... Its clearly the future in some ways, but its also clearly a long ways off.

They have already been working on this for years (prototypes shown as early as 2012) so there's a chance it might be in a good state right out of the gate... Maybe!

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just find tablet ergonomics shit. Most sites i use are optimized already for portrait mobile, so larger screen just adds poor ergonomics of tablet. That particular aspect ratio is also crap for mobile use and it is way too wide to use one handed. All that for a bulky device in which screen scratches easily is a no buy from me.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Apple has been trying to make their own charging pad and keeps having issues

https://www.macworld.com/article/32.../apple-airpower-features-specs-price-faq.html
You'll also notice that they're trying to do things other charging pads can't. My wireless chargers each have two coils. That source says Apple was trying to use between 21 and 24 -- and most of their challenges had to do with the iPhone communicating with watch and pods while charging. They aren't simply trying to replicate what's already been done. My iPhone 8 charges great wirelessly.

But don't let that stop you from mucking up the forums with endless fanboying.

kaytra

Oct 27, 2017
if its literally going to be a foldable android phone its gonna be lame. they should create a whole new user interface design that benefits from the ability to physically bend the screen.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll also notice that they're trying to do things other charging pads can't. My wireless chargers each have two coils. That source says Apple was trying to use between 21 and 24 -- and most of their challenges had to do with the iPhone communicating with watch and pods while charging. They aren't simply trying to replicate what's already been done. My iPhone 8 charges great wirelessly.

But don't let that stop you from mucking up the forums with endless fanboying.
Sure, here you go:

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...s-to-rival-apples-still-missing-airpower.html

Not my fault Apple can't get it working.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I sincerely want this, but this seems like one of those things where the first generation is going to have a lot of problems that will be fixed by the subsequent generations. Which is probably what I'll wait for.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
samsungfoldablephone.i9dcy.gif

It's coming
That's the one concept I'm interested in as small tablet that easily fits in your pocket. The additional screen on front to let it double on your phone is an extra nice bonus.

Personally I don't see a need to cut a normal phone in half for portability purposes even if there's no drawback, but maybe it's good for certain outfits and fashions that I'm not into currently.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Antagonizing other members and platform warring over numerous posts
Again, it's not just multi device charging. And skimming those chargers, they only have a few coils -- far from the 20+ figure from Apple's. Fanboy goggles prevent you from reading?
Oof really going hard into this aren't you? Airpower is designed to charge 3 devices at once, wirelessly. You don't need 20+ coils to do that, and clearly Apple is having a hard time doing it. Might wanna take a step back and relax, unless you have some sort of vested interest in Apple finally figuring out how to charge 3 devices at once...

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This won't happen for ages and you're more likely to get something boring / ugly like the OP. Need better foldable screens, foldable PCBs, maybe batteries too.
You don't need foldable PCBs or batteries for that kind of concept when we're looking at a single hinge. They can stay in either half or split through both of them. The screen is the challenge.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I wonder if anyone will ever make a version that starts as a regular, large 16:9 phone but then folds UP to become this super tall screen.

I'd also like to see more phone-to-tablet ones where the front part you use while closed is an e-ink screen or a BlackBerry-style setup with a physical keyboard.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if anyone will ever make a version that starts as a regular, large 16:9 phone but then folds UP to become this super tall screen.

I'd also like to see more phone-to-tablet ones where the front part you use while closed is an e-ink screen or a BlackBerry-style setup with a physical keyboard.
Ah like the yotaphone,
yotaphone-2.jpg

Experimental Android from Russia quite a few years back, had an e ink screen on the back showing just basic stuff like time, notifications, etc

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Oof really going hard into this aren't you? Airpower is designed to charge 3 devices at once, wirelessly. You don't need 20+ coils to do that, and clearly Apple is having a hard time doing it. Might wanna take a step back and relax, unless you have some sort of vested interest in Apple finally figuring out how to charge 3 devices at once...
None of the chargers you linked will communicate the charging status of accessories to your phone -- they're also less flexible in charging placement. You posted bullshit about Apple not figuring out wireless charging -- it's not wireless charging they're having trouble with, it's the extra stuff that other companies aren't even trying to do. It's fair to criticize them for being too ambitious, but wireless charging works great on iPhone so your fanboy bullshit is just mucking up the forum.

And yes, I'm the one going into this. How many Android vs Apple threads have you made again? It's truly ridiculous that you're not getting paid for all this Android shilling.

Wait, so me criticizing Apple for not figuring out wireless charging is now a pro Android thing?

And what do you mean "communicates the charge of the device"? The bluetooth connection doesn't just end when the Qi charger is active. There are Bluetooth speakers with Qi built into them for goodness sake.
Try reading the links you post

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I wonder how good the protection glass can be at folding too. I'd imagine the tech would be much easier to implement if it folds with the screen on the outside, to make the bend more of a curve, but it'd suck if it's super prone to scratches when you carry it around.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's truly ridiculous that you're not getting paid for all this Android shilling.
Wait, so me criticizing Apple for not figuring out wireless charging is now a pro Android thing?

And what do you mean "communicates the charge of the device"? The bluetooth connection doesn't just end when the Qi charger is active. There are Bluetooth speakers with Qi built into them for goodness sake.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The idea that Apple are struggling to build a wireless charger is so painfully idiotic I'm shocked it can viewed as debating in good faith.

Not giving a shit is very different than being incapable.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ditto to others that I'm down for this, but what we really are down for is like the 5th version of this.

Gotta start somewhere as others have said. So YOLO and all.
Exactly. I'll wait a year after it releases and watch its progress.

However, if it has 12GB ram. A 4k microled screen. And comes with 256GB internal memory that's expandable. I'll hitch a ride.

Last edited:

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean clearly they care, they just can't get it working the way they want when others have.

It is amazing how you are very clearly dodging what the other poster is saying to argue against your point of view, just to continue your point of view. You are selectively answering responses to your posts or point of view, which doesn't make your point proven or true.

In regards to the original OP content, it is cool there is the technology for foldable phones, but I am curious to see what a feasible foldable phone will look like.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are selectively answering responses to your posts or point of view, which doesn't make your point proven or true.
I mean, apple wants the airpad to charge 3 devices at once at seemingly full speed, wirelessly. there are chargers that seemingly can do it. Not sure what the unproven points are but alright.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
i imagine the screen quality would be poor.
Not if they use this as a microled test bed.

Which wouldnt be out of the realm of possibility. Screen tech can bend and fold like this is oled. Microled is the future of oled so put them both together a and viola...another reason why its $2000 dollars.

Last edited:

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, apple wants the airpad to charge 3 devices at once at seemingly full speed, wirelessly. there are chargers that seemingly can do it. Not sure what the unproven points are but alright.
It also wants the user to be able to place those devices anywhere on the mat and not just the 3 defined spots, they want it to charge devices that not strictly conform to Qi standards (such as the Apple Watch) and they want it to communicate the charging status of these devices to the iPhone. There's nothing like it in the market. The notion that Apple is struggling to put 3 coils side by side is beyond dumb (even by your standards) but now that it has been put in plain english maybe you can tone the trolling down to not make it so blatant?

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017

You keep saying the same thing that others have tried to tell you. It's a bullish tactic to push your views forward. "Omg it can't charge 3 devices???? Everyone else can." The point being made is Apple is trying to charge 3 devices that don't all use the typical Qi charging. It is trying to make something different than your typical easy to make Qi charger. Do you understand that there are different charging standards and to combine it all into one small package isn't necessarily easy? Your point that Apple is struggling to create a piece of technology is laughable. I would say the same thing if you tried to flip this around on Samsung, Google, etc. I don't care about phone wars, it's just stupid seeing these one sided arguments.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point being made is Apple is trying to charge 3 devices that don't all use the typical Qi charging.
Wait, so because Apple did this to themselves by not following the Qi standard on their watch we should give them a pass?

I really do not understand at all. This is like giving a student a pass on his overwhelming project idea because he decided to do it all using his left foot only.

Edit: and yes you can tell the charging status of a device on current qi chargers...

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Eh I mean screen protectors aren't really necessary anymore with how good the glass screens have gotten right?
Eh, I'd rather not find out with my $500 device. I actually cracked the first screen protector a couple months ago. My phone was going to fall but I was quick to react and smashed it against the bottom of the table. Maybe the actual screen wouldn't have shattered, but at that moment I was glad I had the screen protector on. I can only imagine how expensive an OLED replacement screen would be.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'd rather not find out with my $500 device. I actually cracked the first screen protector a couple months ago. My phone was going to fall but I was quick to react and smashed it against the bottom of the table. Maybe the actual screen wouldn't have shattered, but at that moment I was glad I had the screen protector on. I can only imagine how expensive an OLED replacement screen would be.
Oleds are pretty spendy compared to LCDs which are pretty cheap to replace.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that hinge would break in my pocket and if the phone is super expensive, I can't see myself risking it.

Other than that I love the idea of a folding phone.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
You do need that many coils if you want to be able to place the device anywhere on the charging mat with syncing inbetween those devices.

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do need that many coils if you want to be able to place the device anywhere on the charging mat with syncing inbetween those devices.
Potentially, or some very large coils though I'm sure that has been tried too. They should not have gone for the Qi standard but then broke it if that was their goal all along however as qi is only designed to work in the square sections.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Bit of a misleading title, it's just a patent application publication, they didn't receive a grant yet