• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not in for this round but I love the concept, as someone who hates having both a tablet and phone, to the point where I only have a phone. I miss a larger screen for web browsing on my commute. So for me this is two great things: the portability, internet connectivity and phone capabilities of a smartphone, plus the larger screen of a tablet when I need it.

But as with all 1st gen things, there are so many areas for improvement that I can only look forward to 2-3 years when it has matured.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This just looks like two regular Galaxy phones glued together. Ugly design. I much prefer the leaked Xiaomi and Huawei's devices. But yeah, I'm gonna skip the first couple of generations.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Can't wait to see this become mainstream tech, not a bad price for a first generation product.. Again I'll be waiting on both this and 5G till 2021

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
First gen new tech commands a premium and you'd be dumb to jump in. It's for rich people who want to show off something new. In 3-5 years this will be a lot more affordable for mass market.

I think rich people are probably buying Vertu phones or whatever the fuck the Gresso phone is suppose to be for $3,500

materials.jpg

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
You know what, it's ridiculously over-priced, far too thick and likely heavy. But it's a 1st gen model. As a building block I think it's a good start. I'd never buy one in its current state but it's a starting point for Samsung and others to work from. I think in 5 years or so once the technology's gotten better and the prices start to drop I think they'll become far more common place.

Once you start getting them at the thickness of current phones and sub-£1000 I think a lot of people would be interested.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I barely fit the current phone in my pocket ( my own fault for wearing skinny jeans! ), this is a big no even if it sell at 200. I need my phone to be portable.

Will wait for 50% slimmer version in 2025 :)

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
It looks really stiff. I think these will be good in about 5 years but this first gen version isn't for me

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I can afford it but i dont know about paying that much for a phone. But will definitely get one when my galaxy 10 is long in the tooth.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
This is obviously suffering from first-gen growing pains but I really like it. When the price comes down and the quality goes up I'm in.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, thats the start. Maybe false start, but the start nevertheless. Unfolded screen size seems to be ideal for reading books/articles, just what i would like to have.
The front display screen-to-body ratio should increase though. Looking forward to the answer of the competitors and a second gen.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing tech, but too rich for my blood right now.

I'll be in when they get it down to current smartphone prices. ~$1000

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
all these people complaining about the price makes me cringe real hard, its literally the first of it's kind of device. Its definitely not for everyone, but given the technology its only few hundred $ higher than maxed out iPhone XS

Last edited:

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a rocky start, but tis what I expected.

It needs to get thinner and lighter with more screen at a cheaper price. That will all come in time though.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
I am excited to see how this tech matures. I just got my new phone, so probably wont be in the market again for a few years, but this looks like it could be a good blend of what I am looking for in a smart device. I picked up the Note 9 and it serves all of my general usage needs, but having something a bit smaller for the bus ride would be great.

Oct 29, 2017
Think this is really exciting but I'll probably wait a generation or two.

I may seem odd but the biggest deal-breaker for me is the front screen, until that's similar to a full display where I can essentially use as a phone and then unfold when needed, I'll probably not grab one.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
it is funny how everyone is against it, once apple jumps in, everyone is in. why is it like that?
i remember back then everyone telling me internet on the go is nothing anyone will ever need.
i like seeing new products, but the price.... for 1000, i would be in, but 2 grand? no thanks.

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
it is funny how everyone is against it, once apple jumps in, everyone is in. why is it like that?
i remember back then everyone telling me internet on the go is nothing anyone will ever need.
i like seeing new products, but the price.... for 1000, i would be in, but 2 grand? no thanks.

If Apple were to make something like this, I doubt they'd make the same design decisions people are complaining about with this phone. They'd make new mistakes (of course), but I don't think Apple would ever think about releasing something with this design.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Hmmm ok let's meet in the middle and say 10 years then.
Well let's see they have foldable screen tech. They have the hinge tech. They have the split battery tech. Those are the 3 hard things. So all they have to do is print a 10 inch screen instead of a 7 inch, add in another hinge and another battery and they're done. They don't need to do that until the sales of the single fold die down, so that would be the one thing that might stretch it to 10+ years. But in terms of tech invention, they already have it now.

Ninja Kn1ght

Oct 25, 2017
The folding display is very cool but why isn't the front screen covering the whole face of the device? It looks like a prototype.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
This would be a great tech for a portable video game console, but for a phone, i don't know. Can't see myself using one of these...

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
I can barely stand $500 for a phone. I am so surprised with the lack of "real" innovation in smart phones that we had in the mid-2000's that some company hasn't came in and sold a crazy decent phone and really great operating system for like $250.

I mean I know there are cheaper phones out there, but I can't believe they have not exploded or one company lean in on that and taken off with the general public.