• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I got my S10+ yesterday and this phone is amazing. I am coming from the GS8 which I thought was great but compared to this it was shit! The screen is the best one I have seen on a phone, the camera cutout is a lot less distracting than I thought it would be, and it is so fast! That's the thing I'm impressed by the most. I turned the animations to .5 and this shit is lightning fast. I have never had a phone perform like this out of the box.

I love the addition of the ultra wide angle lens! I am taking a road trip today and it's about to get a workout.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...n-its-in-your-pocket-keeps-waking-the-screen/

Has anyone had issues with this? I haven't noticed it happening and I have double-tap to wake on. Someone on Reddit claims their phone wiped itself because it registered 15 failed unlock attempts. :\

I haven't experienced this issue. You can also enable/disable a system wipe upon multiple failed unlocks. I disabled that for the time being just in case, but I've never come close to anything like that.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I can't believe how much stuff they've nailed with this phone. I'm coming from an S9+, which was already great.

I mainly got this because if the fingerprint sensor in front because I prefer it there and it's more future proof with the 8GB of ram. Seems like the battery is just as good as the S9+ for me (I have the S10).

I would not have done this if they didn't offer such a ridiculous trade in...

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It sucks that this phone basically doesn't work right on Sprint. I'm hearing the issues were caused by the last software update that came out. Whatever caused it the LTE on my device mostly doesn't work anymore and it roams in places my older phones got signal. There's a bunch of threads on Sprint's forums with people complaining about this.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't experienced this issue. You can also enable/disable a system wipe upon multiple failed unlocks. I disabled that for the time being just in case, but I've never come close to anything like that.

Can you point me to where just to be safe? Btw there's a place you can check how many times the screen has been woken. I guess restarting the phone or resetting the counter however you do before going for a stroll would be a good way to test this. It's under digital wellbeing and it only counts unlocks so I guess you' have to disable all security to test it.

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
My fingerprint sensor works much better now after registering the same finger twice. I usually use my right thumb to unlock, so registered it once in a mainly vertical orientation and then a second time in a mainly horizontal orientstion.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Can you point me to where just to be safe? Btw there's a place you can check how many times the screen has been woken. I guess restarting the phone or resetting the counter however you do before going for a stroll would be a good way to test this. It's under digital wellbeing and it only counts unlocks so I guess you' have to disable all security to test it.

Lock Screen > Secure Lock Settings

Not sure they have a place tallying the quantity.

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Anyone's battery kind of switching from optimized setting to medium power setting by itself? My phone keeps doing it and it's annoying because when I switch it back it turns off the adaptive battery. Also my updates in the Google play store stay in limbo until I manually make them update

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
My fingerprint sensor works much better now after registering the same finger twice. I usually use my right thumb to unlock, so registered it once in a mainly vertical orientation and then a second time in a mainly horizontal orientstion.

Yo!!! This works flawlessly. Thank you! I've been struggling with this for over a week trying to find a way to make this work better, and this method makes it that the fingerprint scanner works nearly every time.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you hold your phone, but that would not work for me at all.

I suppose that's the bonus of options!
I hold my phone with my thumb on one side and the rest of my fingers on the other. My thumb and pointer finger are easily accessing the power and bixby button. How do you hold your phone? I'm trying to picture a grip that one might use and couldn't use it but having trouble doing so.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I hold my phone with my thumb on one side and the rest of my fingers on the other. My thumb and pointer finger are easily accessing the power and bixby button. How do you hold your phone? I'm trying to picture a grip that one might use and couldn't use it but having trouble doing so.
Pinkie propping up the phone under the power socket, fingers under the body, right thumb doing all the work.

Often using my left hand to do stuff too, but for most use its like that.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Pinkie propping up the phone under the power socket, fingers under the body, right thumb doing all the work.

Often using my left hand to do stuff too, but for most use its like that.
I do that too. How is your thumb not near the bixby button? I'm doing that right now and my thumb is on the bixby button.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
My bixby button is on the left of the phone and I'm right handed. Where are your thumbs? lol
I misread. I thought you were saying you used your left hand to hold it. I'm right handed but hold my phone in my left to leave my dominant hand to do stuff or even swipe type with my right pointer finger. Even when I be hold it in my right hand, my pointer finger grips around the bixby button though. I see the issue now.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I misread. I thought you were saying you used your left hand to hold it. I'm right handed but hold my phone in my left to leave my dominant hand to do stuff or even swipe type with my right pointer finger. Even when I be hold it in my right hand, my pointer finger grips around the bixby button though. I see the issue now.
Ahh good, I was worried you were over thumbed.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone's battery kind of switching from optimized setting to medium power setting by itself? My phone keeps doing it and it's annoying because when I switch it back it turns off the adaptive battery. Also my updates in the Google play store stay in limbo until I manually make them update

This seems to be a part of the adaptive battery thing by default. It seems to swap to medium after about 50%

I think the best way to get optimised on and not messing with your settings would be changing whatever you don't like in medium power settings first.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thought I would share this. I tried to make the S10 "work/sync" with my existing Apple gear.
Without using Google services, because fuck Google.

What I wanted to do was basically replicate the seamless integration of Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Reminders and Messages etc. I'm still working to get other apps to sync with my Mac or to find replacements, but at this stage the switch to the S10 is a "painless" one.

1.) Mail: App used --> "K-9". For it to work you need your iCloud details (when setting up K-9 for the first time) and have to create an app specific password within your Apple I.D. page...(Under: Security--> create Password). That took me some time to figure out, otherwise K-9 or any other app would not get into your iCloud account.

2.) Calendar, Contacts, Reminders: To my surprise Apple uses an open standard, just get the App "Davx5" (it will need a dedicated Apple I.D. password as well). It will link the default Android apps to your iCloud stuff and sync like on an iPhone with your Mac going forward.

3.) Notes: A little bit trickier, I had to use Joplin, an app that's also available on OSX to share stuff between the S10 and my iMac, works rather well since all it basically does is, with the help of an encryption key, encrypt your files/data, store them on a cloud provider (in my case Dropbox), and decrypt them on the other device.

4) Messages: I use Signal, while integration with Messages is not working as I would hope, I could not get it to run, its a rather good and secure substitute.

---

Oh, and get bxactions pro, you will need a windows machine to fully unlock it (highly recommended), its really a game changer:

Bixsby key now does:
Single press: Mute/unmute (iOS mode)
Double press: Open Samsung Browser
Hold: Flashlight
Tap and hold: Start/stop media playback

Last edited:

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I dropped my s10 down a storm drain while drunk... Pulled it out and it still works perfectly :)

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Only this morning while watching the review from Flossy did I realise I can set a video as my lock screen on even my S9+. So now my little girl is on there moving dirt form one garden pot to another. Here's a gif from his video. He has video of him driving as his lock screen.

XLLoAk.gif

osodemolay

Oct 28, 2017
After a week with the phone, I just found that it came with a clear case in the box with all the papers that nobody reads. Now I feel stupid for having bought a case (also clear).

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
For those that want their notification LED back

The start of the video shows you the app to get, jump to 5:11 to set the light to be around "notch only".

Not got mine yet and can't get near wifes to test it out. Hope it helps!

EDIt: some comments talking about battery drain and permissions required. I can't see either as I don;t have the phone.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
The only speed test that matters:

Wonder how badly the SD855 will beat the Exynos this year...

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I've run into an issue with my S10+ that I'm quite sure didn't happen with my S8 and I can't find how to fix it. The issue is the back button seems to work universally instead of per app. The problem I'm having is one of the apps I'm using doesn't seem to have proper navigation to go back to the home screen so I press back to try to go back a page but instead it backs me out of the app. Even closing the app and reopening it doesn't work because when I reopen it it's on the same page I can't get out of.

Is there any way to fix this? I've noticed it with other app too, instead of taking me back to whatever was previous in my app it goes back to where I was which is generally the home screen. Super annoying.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Reddit posting about the S10 and S10+'s inability to recognize if the phone is in pocket or not.

Damn, the S10E really is the best of the bunch.
I have no problem with that! Despite having problems with the power/fingerprint sensor being too sensitive to swipes (I couldn't see a sensitivity option for that, but I still want to keep the feature) everything's gravy with mine. Exynos BTW, because Australia.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting idea on the fingerprint scanner. Each scan is actually 16 different scans of your print, so by adding the same finger/thumb 2 or 3 times, its just overkill.

Instead he suggests and demos just using one "scan" to get 8 scans of the left thumb and 8 of the right and it unlocks at exactly the same speed.

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Got my S10e yesterday along with the official Samsung LED back cover. So nice to hold in hand compared to my previous Note 9.