• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
NhaHtdX.jpg

82A2XEf.jpg

Battery life is insane on the S10+ Exynos with latest Firmware.
12 1/2 hours Screen on time with tons of usage (second screenshot) and still some % left.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I busted a large part of my Pixel 2 Xl screen and LCD hiking yesterday, so I bit the bullet and ordered an S10+.

Anyone have experience using the phone on Google Fi? It says they are compatible but without Wi-Fi calling or carrier switching, so I'm basically stuck with t-mobile. I think coverage will be fine in my area just looking for impressions.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what's going on with the Galaxy Buds. They cut out all the time when walking outdoors. Even when I take out my phone out of my pocket there's some slight cutting, but sometimes there's some heavy-ass cutting of the sound when in my pocket.

Had the same problem with my IconX 2018 buds before returning them, and I had those paired up to a Note 5 phone. So, new phone, new buds, same problem? WTF Samsung. I don't even live in a metropolitan area.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know what's going on with the Galaxy Buds. They cut out all the time when walking outdoors. Even when I take out my phone out of my pocket there's some slight cutting, but sometimes there's some heavy-ass cutting of the sound when in my pocket.

Had the same problem with my IconX 2018 buds before returning them, and I had those paired up to a Note 5 phone. So, new phone, new buds, same problem? WTF Samsung. I don't even live in a metropolitan area.
Happened a couple times but repairing and restarting Bluetooth seems to fix it for me.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

Same, I replaced some cheap ones with the buds and thought this would solve it

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol after waiting a month for the galaxy buds. I finally got sent an email saying they're giving me $130 promo credit on the account instead. Fark.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of Galaxy Buds, I heard a lot of people talking about a poor bass response and I was kind of feeling the same.

I have small ears so i immediately changed out the slilicon tips for the smallest ones.

Then I heard people talking about poor bass despite expert reviewers noting their bass response was pretty good.

I decided to try the largest silicone tips because:
A: the bigger tips have more silicone in front of the speaker whereas the smallest ones have the speaker right up to the edge of the tip

B:I wanted to see if the bigger tips made a better seal despite my small ears

Turns out it made a mahoooooosive difference.

I can feel kick drums in my brain now. I can hear more low end in songs. The high end is less crisp than I had got used to with the smaller tips pumping the sound right I to my ear, but Ill take the trade off for now.

I kind of feel like reviewers shouldnt be reviewing these types of earbuds if they haven't used all the tips and adjustments available as it seems it can make such a huge difference.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
On the subject of Galaxy Buds, I heard a lot of people talking about a poor bass response and I was kind of feeling the same.

I have small ears so i immediately changed out the slilicon tips for the smallest ones.

Then I heard people talking about poor bass despite expert reviewers noting their bass response was pretty good.

I decided to try the largest silicone tips because:
A: the bigger tips have more silicone in front of the speaker whereas the smallest ones have the speaker right up to the edge of the tip

B:I wanted to see if the bigger tips made a better seal despite my small ears

Turns out it made a mahoooooosive difference.

I can feel kick drums in my brain now. I can hear more low end in songs. The high end is less crisp than I had got used to with the smaller tips pumping the sound right I to my ear, but Ill take the trade off for now.

I kind of feel like reviewers shouldnt be reviewing these types of earbuds if they haven't used all the tips and adjustments available as it seems it can make such a huge difference.

Thanks for the tip. I was pretty happy with the original sound, but my ears are kind of neutral, so went ahead and tried the bigger tips. Definitely adds a bit more punch.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I got my buds today and I have to say I'm disappointed with the max volume on these.These sounds less robust and less loud than the wired buds that were included in the box.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got my buds today and I have to say I'm disappointed with the max volume on these.These sounds less robust and less loud than the wired buds that were included in the box.
Really,?

How loud do you usually listen to music?

I personally feel scared to push past the "warning" line as that's plenty loud in my experience.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just reset my phone a while ago but just saw a post on reddit that showed a Samsung info graphic regarding one ui's battery management.

Apparently after 30 days any unused apps should be automatically disabled so that no part of those apps can use up system resources.

Has a yo e noticed this kicking in yet?

Can anyone see any apps in their disabled apps list that were put there automatically?

Shit, I turn that warning off and turn it up full, even boost it some more with Poweramp sometimes.

I should probably stop doing that.

LOL okay you're crazy man!

Be careful that you aren't already giving yourself hearing issues if you're feeling that you need to push the volume level so much!

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Really,?

How loud do you usually listen to music?

I personally feel scared to push past the "warning" line as that's plenty loud in my experience.

I have over the ear headphones I usually use and they just sounds significantly better than these. Even the stock headphones that come with it sound better than these.
The ones in the box destroy my ears after like ten minutes. Really like the wireless buds more since swapping the tip.

I checked them like suggested and it definitely helps, but it still doesn't sound "good" to me. These were free so I'm not going to complain to much, but had I purchased them I would have certainly taken them back.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
On the subject of volume, this is more an Android thing, is there a way to just have a single, global volume control so you don't adjust individual volumes? It's really annoying me compared to iOS :/

Also, my Soundsport Free volume controls have separate volume outside of those volume adjustments. Really annoying!

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Hey people how are you?
I'm thinking if I should buy a S10e but don't know if there's much difference between the other two models that are worth mentioning or have in mind (I would jump from a S7 edge with the infamous pink line)

Any thought/advice is welcome.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
So my buds finally turned up and I love them, but - the ambient noise feature (which is really helpful) appears to turn itself off at random. Anyone experienced this? Have to manually re-open the app and turn the feature back on.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
So my buds finally turned up and I love them, but - the ambient noise feature (which is really helpful) appears to turn itself off at random. Anyone experienced this? Have to manually re-open the app and turn the feature back on.
Doesn't it even say, that it's just temporary? I like the feature in certain scenarios but when I activated it, I didn't really notice any ambient sounds getting through at all.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
buds aren't loud enough.
and as someone that loves ambient sound, the buds default to ambient noise off each time it connects

i've given up on it's intended use and just use one bud at a time. it's useable that way for me as something small to listen to podcasts while being able to hear the outside world with my other ear

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Just picked up an S10e.

Had an S10 that I preordered for the Buds and then sold (didn't like the fingerprint sensor and the curved screen).
But I want to save a little money and I can get quite a bit of money for my XS Max assuming I like the S10e enough to keep it (I'll try it for a week to see if I can get used to a smaller screened phone).

So far I'm liking it a lot though! The flat screen makes it feel like I'm getting more screen width than the regular S10, the fingerprint sensor is crazy fast (still getting used to the location), and even though it is a smaller phone it doesn't really FEEL like a small phone (it's not like my old iPhone 8 with the low resolution and bezels really felt small compared to "bezel less" phones).

At this point the battery will probably be the deciding factor if I keep this or not. The S10 I had felt a little too short for me (even in 1080p mode with AOD off), but I heard the e is a little better so I'll see if it's better in my experience.
If not, I'll go with my second cheaper Android choice: the One Plus 6t. Lacks some of the nicer S10e features (the camera, official waterproofing, headphone jack, etc) but it's bigger and the battery should be more than enough.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
has a screen protector come out that still works with the fingerprint. the one that came with it is starting to scratch.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took my phone out of the case and actually used it naked for the first time since I took it out of the box and immediately crammed it into a max protection case.

Holy damn this thing is slippery as hell. I don't k ow if it's the ceramic or what, but man.

I feel like I'm having an anxiety attack just typing this post. The phone is literally trying to slide out of my hands and it feels like it's winning.

Straight back into the case for this thing.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
No it's definitely an issue with the volume with the phone. I synced it to my MacBook and they actually sound pretty good.
This advice didn't help someone else in the thread, but it did help me, so YMMV. The sound was really tinny on my Buds until I increased the volume on the buds themselves independently of the phone. Once I did that, half-volume on my phone was loud enough for me. This was with an s8+.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got mine today and trying to get used to the software differences from 'stock' Android on my previous Pixel 2XL. Is there a reason why most of the app icons are inside that little circle? Previously things like Spotify, Chrome and Gmail were displayed as just the icon. Hoping for a solution via settings but I'm starting to think that's just how it is.

Happy with the build of the phone however, went with the S10+ with ceramic and it looks and feels great. Looking forward to pushing the battery life in the coming week.

EDIT. I'd like to amend that thanks to some of the nice folks in this thread I'm now enjoying customizing my Nova Launcher setup. I haven't used this app in years, had no idea it was still updated and robust.

Last edited:

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This advice didn't help someone else in the thread, but it did help me, so YMMV. The sound was really tinny on my Buds until I increased the volume on the buds themselves independently of the phone. Once I did that, half-volume on my phone was loud enough for me. This was with an s8+.
Tried this and they still sound like shit on the phone. They sound so bad with the phone that I'll just switch to my wired headphones when using my phone. Like I previously said, I'm not too upset because I didn't pay for them, but if I had I would have taken them back for sure.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how to silence Twitter notifications, without having to turn notifications volume down?

just upgraded from s8 and I was able to keep notifications silent.

Jul 26, 2018
So... kinda off topic, but what cell carriers do you guys currently have or recommend for me to start using?

I've recently just quit Virgin Mobile after 4-5 years due to them not supporting the S10+ atm... (or probably forever). They only support the S10E. I've been told to look up Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon.

It seems that Sprint pleases me more due to some of it's plans they offer but i've been warned that Sprint actually sucks (no reason given why). I'm just looking for a carrier to support at least watching Youtube videos at decent quality (720p-1080p) outside of my house while at work. probably will say the same thing for gaming since I just got into mobile gaming. My last phone was the Iphone 5S and couldn't even play any mobile games today or at least 2-3 years back.

My last plan was just 2.5 GB and it was torture.. only had to watch YouTube videos at literally 144p and sometimes would give me a warning for going over my data... lol. As for money, i'm willing to pay $40 per month max. But i'm not sure if that's even enough for having better data (more GB). I don't have a lot of knowledge on this and help will be appreciated.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Sprint is awful so I wouldn't recommend that. I am on the $40 T-Mobile plan which is a pretty good deal and would be a big step up for you if you have good T-Mobile service near you T-Mobile Plans. I previously had Verizon prepaid and it was $45 a month + tax for 15 gigs. T-Mobile also gives you free stuff with T-Mobile Tuesday so it's a nice perk.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to link the volume on bluetooth headsets/earbuds with the master volume on the phone? It shits me that I have to up the volume on the earbuds (Soundsport Free, at least) before I control the volume on the phone itself.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to link the volume on bluetooth headsets/earbuds with the master volume on the phone? It shits me that I have to up the volume on the earbuds (Soundsport Free, at least) before I control the volume on the phone itself.
I thought that was the default setting, but if it's not, it's under settings on the bluetooth menu – it's called media volume sync.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that was the default setting, but if it's not, it's under settings on the bluetooth menu – it's called media volume sync.
Oh, says it's not supported by the device. That's a kick in the pants.

Edit: Never mind, I disabled "disable absolute volume" under dev options and it's available now. Awesome.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
has a screen protector come out that still works with the fingerprint. the one that came with it is starting to scratch.
There's a billion. If you want glass, just look for UV screen protectors on eBay or Aliexpress. They're like Whitestone, but without the install tray.

Other than that, ESR's TPU screen protectors work just fine, as do pretty much any TPU protector.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, I ordered a glass screen protector for my S10e (a reasonably high rated one on Amazon) and the right, left, and top sides of it don't sit flush with screen so there's a visible gap all the way around the edge.

Ordered an amFilm one (a brand I've heard of and has worked well for me in the past). Sadly it only comes with one in the pack so I'll need to be careful, usually I mess up the first one or two I try and nail it on the last one.

Most of the screen protectors have cutouts for the camera circle which I don't want. The out-of-box protector Samsung included had that and it makes the camera 10x more noticeable because you can feel it and tiny bits of gunk get built up in the rim.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Bought some skins. Skins arrive. Some of them have a matte finish, so I say to myself "gloss is better, lemmie take care of this!"

Buy some high gloss clear coat and take care of it. Then I look at the gloss one and say to myself "this is going to get scratches eventually, lemmie protect against that some!" and clear coat it.

Let them dry for about an hour and a half, and then say to myself "a second coat will take care of things!"

Apply second coat.

I fucked the skins up bad. Bubbles and distortions everywhere. One coat was more than enough. In reality, i should've just left the shits alone!

So yeah, if you buy skins, DON'T TRY TO BE SMART AND APPLY CLEAR COAT.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Wifes Buds finally arrived. Very nice, great for mowing the lawn with my defenders on and no cables getting tangled up.

Had to put the smallest outer ring on as the stock large one make my ears sore.

Overall impressed though. Not that I'd have paid retail for them, but a great freebie.

Still waiting on my buds to arrive.