• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rawd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting lots of dust behind my clear case on the back. My thought is because of the number of camera lenses and their arrangement on the S10, the back of the case doesnt make enough contact to keep all the dust out. All my previous iPhones from 4 to the 6s never had this dust issue with clear cases. My next case for my S10 will def not be a clear case.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I am really enjoying the phone. Blazing fast, simple and straight forward and One UI is much closer to stock than old Samsung phones. Plus it builds in a lot of features that I would get with various apps otherwise.

My only hesitation so far has been opting in to all the Samsung tracking/customization services that promise to improve the phone over time. Are these worth it?

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
Just about to grab the S10+ today and trade in a S6 ($200 trade in value) for it. I currently have a S9+ that I plan on doing a warranty replacment on and selling afterwards.

Oct 27, 2017
So I've just ordered an S10e with a new contract after using a 1st gen Motorola G for the last 5 years.....

Am I going to feel like I've time travelled?

ps shout out to motoG for having a battery that works great even after 5 years.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Has anyone used Dex realistically? I got a Aukey USB C hub for $20.

I forgot Amazon did Sunday, so getting it today. Hope to play around with it a bit.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Have updates made the Exynos versions (s10e at least) on par with the Snapdragon ones or should I still look for the snapdragon if I decide to purchase?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Have updates made the Exynos versions (s10e at least) on par with the Snapdragon ones or should I still look for the snapdragon if I decide to purchase?
In terms of real-world performance, you're not going to notice a difference between the two unless using them side-by-side. I have an S10E Exynos and I'm more than happy with it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of real-world performance, you're not going to notice a difference between the two unless using them side-by-side. I have an S10E Exynos and I'm more than happy with it.
Well I heard the camera performance has been improved but unsure about the battery life differences between the two. That's the only difference I'd be concerned with and from online anecdotes I'm unsure if there's still any large difference.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
So, I've been an iPhone user since 2010 and never thought of changing to an Android because I got so used to the "iPhone and iOS experience", especially after buying an Apple Watch and Airpods, that just the taught of changing to a completely different ecosystem of hardware and software actually scared me. Not only because of the financial investment I made over the years on buying apps and accessories but also the whole comfort and sense of security it provides. It just works, at the end and that was good enough.

But with the current price of the iPhone that I would buy (an XS Max) being at more than $1100, which is completely insane in my view and here in Brazil you can say that I would be paying something more in line of $1500 or more, I'm honestly thinking of jumping ship to a Samsung S10+. The hardware of the device is amazing and honestly, far ahead from the iPhone when considering that the screen is the main aspect of a smartphone. Also, I'm tired of iOS limitations and shortcomings, despite its evolution in the recent few years when it started to become more open and smart.

My question is, especially from people that came from iOS migrated to Android and Galaxy device: how big is the difference? I know that apps won't be the same, as the OS. But I don't know much it can be different. I also don't know if the Galaxy hardware is reliable as the iPhone one, in terms of not slowing down, battery lasting at least two years and things like that.

Also, does somebody has a Galaxy Watch or Watch Active? Do you like it?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Difference isn't that big IMO, one or two things take some getting used to but once you find your way around it you'll be fine. Using iOS now just feels alien to me.

Migrated from IPhone SE to S10e, using Apple prior to this since the 3GS.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The s10 series finally was released here so I upgraded from a 6edge to the 10+. World of difference and the screen is beautiful. Debating if I want to get a Galaxy Watch to go with the phone.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of the Galaxy Watch personally. Just aren't enough apps for it to be a solid smart watch (not even a podcast app when I had one last year).

It looks nice, the older version is cool since it has the magnetic card strip Samsung Pay feature (Gear S3, I guess the Galaxy removed that feature), and it's a solid fitness tracker, but just don't expect a ton of functionality.

I've heard good things about the Fossil Android watches. Those look nice and Android Wear has a large app selection.

But if toy do get it I'd recommend getting a good used one. I paid less than half what it was going for and it felt like a much better deal. Wouldn't have been worth it at full price and the bone I got was in perfect condition from eBay (and had a 30 day return).

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think we are gonna go get my two older kids S10es tomorrow. They both have crappy phones now, and the wifey and I both have Samsung phones.

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like every update to my Galaxy Buds degrades the connection performance more and more, it's pretty fucking impressive.

There are certain streets where it will cut out every second or two, my phone not being more than three feet away from the earbuds.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like every update to my Galaxy Buds degrades the connection performance more and more, it's pretty fucking impressive.

There are certain streets where it will cut out every second or two, my phone not being more than three feet away from the earbuds.
I've only ever had an issue with them last weekend when I was doing yard work.

Don't know if it was something about the weed wacker interfering with the Bluetooth or what, but they basically stopped working until I got back inside.

Other than that I use them every day driving to work and back and at my office and they're perfect there.

At least if I am having connection issues I can always plug in a wired pair. Love having a headphone jack.

MattDoza

Oct 27, 2017
Eastern WA
Do any fellow S10e owners have screen protector recommendations? I removed the stock one because I didn't like how much dust was building up in the punchout that they have on it. I've tried AmFilm's TGSP and it had the black borders that were not precise and actually cut off the edges of the screen. So I took that one off. I'm using one by Ringke that's just a film. And it's pretty decent and the application was really well designed to alleviate dust getting under the application but it has a rubbery-like thickness to it that I don't care for.

I know of Domeglass but forget their prices. I've ordered 3 of them for two previous phones and every damn time the stupid UV light didn't work. And the installation isn't as flawless as one would think with all of the guidelines.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Do any fellow S10e owners have screen protector recommendations? I removed the stock one because I didn't like how much dust was building up in the punchout that they have on it. I've tried AmFilm's TGSP and it had the black borders that were not precise and actually cut off the edges of the screen. So I took that one off. I'm using one by Ringke that's just a film. And it's pretty decent and the application was really well designed to alleviate dust getting under the application but it has a rubbery-like thickness to it that I don't care for.

I know of Domeglass but forget their prices. I've ordered 3 of them for two previous phones and every damn time the stupid UV light didn't work. And the installation isn't as flawless as one would think with all of the guidelines.
I'm using a generic (Cygnett?) tapered glass screen and while it has no cutout for the camera lens (which was my gripe with the factory-installed protector) it does have that black border that kind of shits me. I guess that's where they hide whatever glue they use?

Anyway, I am yet to see one that doesn't have a cutout, doesn't have a border and doesn't cost a bomb, but I'm keeping an eye out.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
So, wife banged her phone in the car door.

Bottom half of the screen fucked, fingerprint scanner fucked, WiFi and 3g fucked.

So, how do I wipe the phone when I can't restart it, and Google can't see it to wipe it.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, wife banged her phone in the car door.

Bottom half of the screen fucked, fingerprint scanner fucked, WiFi and 3g fucked.

So, how do I wipe the phone when I can't restart it, and Google can't see it to wipe it.
Volume up, Bixby button, and power button when you turn the phone on.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but it's locked with a print and you can't turn it off without a print or the password. The bottom half of the screen is also dead so you can't see a keyboard
I see

Tried keeping power button and volume down pressed really long, like twenty seconds?

I had my phone hang at some point and that did the trick.

I just tested this volume up and power button did it for me so give this a try.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I see

I just tested this volume up and power button did it for me so give this a try.
Sadly that's just a reset, not a off. Fml.

Edit: might have found a solution. The USB c to USB OG connector will allow me to plug my bt adapter for my wireless keyboard in and type using it on my phone. Will now try in the wife's. If I can unlock it I can reset it or at least turn it off to then boot into recovery.

Edit2: as soon as I put the pin in it went through, then it got its WiFi connection back (no idea why it doesn't get it at boot) and then Google reset it for me as I'd clicked the buttons online to make it do so.

Oddly now it won't power on at all but it will beep if put on charge. No bother, off for repair now anyway. Thanks for your help chaps.

It also does volume up and down beeps and the screen flashes a bit. I can't remember turning the phone on after factory, maybe it's just black with anything else down the bottom half.

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Ah, good that it worked out. Next time if you keep volume down and power pressed as it turns on, it goes into a boot loader menu, and you can select to factory wipe the phone with the volume up/down and power buttons.
It could be that right now the screen just lost its entire power connection.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, So just yesterday I used "ok google" to make a to-do list. I'd never really bothered with google assistant before apart from in the car to make a call or send a message.

No worries, made a list, ticked some bits off, oo rahh.

I just said "ok google, show me my todo list"

"Sorry to do lists are not supported yet"

I swear the same command worked yesterday. Only way I can get to the list now is to ask for my lists and then it shows me the one IT NAMED "to-do".

We're a long fucking way from "Computer early grey, hot."

Ah, good that it worked out. Next time if you keep volume down and power pressed as it turns on, it goes into a boot loader menu, and you can select to factory wipe the phone with the volume up/down and power buttons.
It could be that right now the screen just lost its entire power connection.
Yeah I knew I could get in if I could get the phone off. I just couldn't get there haha. Once I'd managed to use a keyboard I could have done it, but Google swooped and wiped it for me. Its now with the insurance and for £25 it'll come back good as new.

ncsuDuncan

Oct 10, 2018
Solved a minor annoyance I had with this phone. When I hold phones vertical in one hand, I loosely grip the sides and cradle the phone using my pinky finger under the bottom edge at the charge port. When I had a Galaxy S7E this was a comfortable position, but with the S10+ I've found that the slightly different form factor means the charge port has a sharp uncomfortable edge that grinds on my pinky finger after a while. (I don't use a phone case.)

The solution? I just bought a pack of silicone USB-C port plugs: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L12FX5

I don't really care about keeping dust out of the port, but the plug keeps the port edge from grating on my finger. Thought I'd share in case anyone else had the same experience.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I have to say now that I've used both sets of our ear buds, they are shit if my phone is in my ass pocket.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Apologies for the bump, but apparently Samsung has photografed the entire Portuguese coast with the S10. Unfortunately the page seems to be only in Portuguese, but you can see the pictures regardless (they're below the video in the link):

https://www.samsung.com/pt/smartpho...traffic-post&dclid=CLiHrP-N5OICFQmuUQodIEYMtQ

Basically, 943km worth of pictures. Pretty cool project and it's a lovely perspective, especially if you know some of those beaches. It's also a fantastic time capsule of the coast itself, that hopefully will be preserved for the future generations.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a strange issue where if someone calls my phone, it will ask me to unlock my phone with my pattern or hit the back button to take me to screen to answer the call.

Also sometimes when I take my phone off of the charger, the screen will wake up and ask me to put the pattern in so I can unlock my phone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a strange issue where if someone calls my phone, it will ask me to unlock my phone with my pattern or hit the back button to take me to screen to answer the call.

Also sometimes when I take my phone off of the charger, the screen will wake up and ask me to put the pattern in so I can unlock my phone

I actually somewhat figured out the problem. I deleted some unnecessary 3rd party apps that I downloaded. One of them was the culprit. I have no idea which one was causing the issue. If you are having a similar issue, check your apps.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Has anyone still been having issues with the fingerprint scanner? I'm pretty sure I've gotten it to a point where it's nearly as flawless at the S8 variant.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
1aAWntB.jpg

camera on the 10e is pretty decent. Took this while my dog was pulling on the leash