• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for answering guys, I was kinda afraid about some performance or battery issues, but yeah, it is miles better having the phone with some kind of warranty.
Also, I wrote Exynos wrong, it was too late on the night, lol

For the most part it's overblown, yes there are differences in the benchmarks but you're extremely unlikely to ever notice and it's not worth thinking about. Enjoy your new phone :)

ArtemisLunar

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 13, 2018
For the most part it's overblown, yes there are differences in the benchmarks but you're extremely unlikely to ever notice and it's not worth thinking about. Enjoy your new phone :)
Not yet, I still need to sell my Pixel 2 XL in order to have enough money, but I hope it could be soon.
Thanks for the help

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
LOL went crazy trying to apply this to the background wallpaper on my first day. I gave up trying.

I was thinking of removing everything from my lock screen and just taking screenshots of every single image but I'm too lazy to do it...

/edit: Actually, I don't know if I can get rid of the clock on the lock screen... I can get rid of the carrier info if I swipe the screen slightly and then take a picture while that info is invisible but I couldn't find a way to disable the clock.
If someone know if and how it can be done I might give it another shot...

Last edited:

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got my S10 exynos yesterday, got everything setup and did a full charge. At 50% battery I have 3 hours screen on time, this was with a lot of Spotify, social media,some voice calls and YouTube. Pretty happy with that as that's what I got on my s8 plus brand new. Only setting I change was I enabled dark mode and disabled facebook.

Dec 3, 2018
Wide angle lens is pretty great, took this yesterday.

20190313-154005-2.jpg

Image host has probably stripped away some quality, but still.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking of removing everything from my lock screen and just taking screenshots of every single image but I'm too lazy to do it...

/edit: Actually, I don't know if I can get rid of the clock on the lock screen... I can get rid of the carrier info if I swipe the screen slightly and then take a picture while that info is invisible but I couldn't find a way to disable the clock.
If someone know if and how it can be done I might give it another shot...
I believe if you use Lockstar, you can omit having a clock entirely. Requires Good Lock, either from the Galaxy Store or from you downloading via APK Mirror.

Anyhoo, is anyone else taking advantage of the system wide adblocking functions Samsung offers? I've been peeped to the Knoc based adblockers for awhile now, just checking to see if anyone else puts up with the hassle in order to block ads without using a VPN.

Also, if anyone isn't into that kind of hassle but still wants to block ads and is new to Samsung/Android in general, download Blokada. uses the phone's VPN to block ads.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I believe if you use Lockstar, you can omit having a clock entirely. Requires Good Lock, either from the Galaxy Store or from you downloading via APK Mirror.

Anyhoo, is anyone else taking advantage of the system wide adblocking functions Samsung offers? I've been peeped to the Knoc based adblockers for awhile now, just checking to see if anyone else puts up with the hassle in order to block ads without using a VPN.

Also, if anyone isn't into that kind of hassle but still wants to block ads and is new to Samsung/Android in general, download Blokada. uses the phone's VPN to block ads.
I prefer to use Samsung Knox/Adhell 3.11. No VPN icon/notification and possibly less power consumption - another VPN adblocker I used to use was a definite power drain. Only issue with Adhell is you have to redo the edu developer key every 3-4 months (don't need an education email or anything to get an edu key, it's really easy). Also, it didn't work until I renamed the APK (can't just physically rename the file, must use an editor), but there are instructions on Adhell reddit.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

Right! That did the trick. Uploaded most of them with different color hues (they change when you tilt the phone).

https://imgur.com/a/V3RLziT

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer to use Samsung Knox/Adhell 3.11. No VPN icon/notification and possibly less power consumption - another VPN adblocker I used to use was a definite power drain. Only issue with Adhell is you have to redo the edu developer key every 3-4 months (don't need an education email or anything to get an edu key, it's really easy). Also, it didn't work until I renamed the APK (can't just physically rename the file, must use an editor), but there are instructions on Adhell reddit.
Same. Though I had some initial issues with Adhell crashing. Changed the way I was modifying the APK and that cleared up.

I do miss SABS though. Even after Adhell cleaned up its UI, I still prefer the way SABS looked. And it has a better app icon. I guess I can just modify that later in another apk edit, though.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To check again has anyone doing Samsungs trade in actually received the parcel to send your old phone off? It gives you 7 days for them to receive it and I have 2 days to go with no parcel. It's looking like I'm gonna have to send the S10 back tomorrow instead since it's the only one I have a way to return.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The first three or four days my S10 Exynos had fairly middling SoT, at around 4-5 hours to drained generally on WiFi.

As of yesterday though my Android system usage has totally dropped off and I got 8 hours SoT at 50% manual brightness, Bluetooth, GPS and 90% 2-bar 4G/10% WiFi split. I'm seriously impressed.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well I got an update on returning a phone for trade in. Seems despite all the paperwork saying 7 days they've extended the deadline to 14 days due to many people having the same issue. To top it off during the call I got a text from Samsung saying my buds claim was accepted despite using the wrong Email address. They'll be here within 30 days apparently so a couple weeks before I'm off to Paris.

Finally nice to see it coming together a bit after so much radio silence.

Oct 28, 2017
Well I got an update on returning a phone for trade in. Seems despite all the paperwork saying 7 days they've extended the deadline to 14 days due to many people having the same issue. To top it off during the call I got a text from Samsung saying my buds claim was accepted despite using the wrong Email address. They'll be here within 30 days apparently so a couple weeks before I'm off to Paris.

Finally nice to see it coming together a bit after so much radio silence.

Fuck's sake, I paid the seven quid to get my trade in there next day because I'd left it 5 days late.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
To check again has anyone doing Samsungs trade in actually received the parcel to send your old phone off? It gives you 7 days for them to receive it and I have 2 days to go with no parcel. It's looking like I'm gonna have to send the S10 back tomorrow instead since it's the only one I have a way to return.
Mine said to just print a label and ship it back in the box I got the S10 in.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck's sake, I paid the seven quid to get my trade in there next day because I'd left it 5 days late.
Man that sucks. I was on the verge of selling it to someone for £150 and paying off the £200 since I was worried I'd get charged at the weekend when half their linnes are closed.

Honestly their communication has been shit. Did you at least get the parcel to return it in?
Mine said to just print a label and ship it back in the box I got the S10 in.
Which country out of curiosity? UK seems to be telling people to wait on a parcel and I never got emailed a label to print either. The phone comes with a return label but only for the s10. I'm wondering if they process them differently.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
The first three or four days my S10 Exynos had fairly middling SoT, at around 4-5 hours to drained generally on WiFi.

As of yesterday though my Android system usage has totally dropped off and I got 8 hours SoT at 50% manual brightness, Bluetooth, GPS and 90% 2-bar 4G/10% WiFi split. I'm seriously impressed.
It's pretty annoying that there aren't more reports about the Exynos' battery life, so thank you for this.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Which country out of curiosity? UK seems to be telling people to wait on a parcel and I never got emailed a label to print either. The phone comes with a return label but only for the s10. I'm wondering if they process them differently.
US for me, I know some places can be stricter about how to transport devices with lithium ion batteries.

At least in the US with FedEx they tend to be fine as long as there's a sticker on the box saying it has a battery. But I've had shipping places require I put it in a special pouch before.

Oct 28, 2017
Man that sucks. I was on the verge of selling it to someone for £150 and paying off the £200 since I was worried I'd get charged at the weekend when half their linnes are closed.

Honestly their communication has been shit. Did you at least get the parcel to return it?

Yeah they sent a letter with a plastic envelope and a choice of two return labels - free 2-4 day or next day. I just grabbed a spare packaging box, smothered the crap out of my old phone in bubble wrap, threw it in the envelope and took it to the Post Office.

It's pretty annoying that there aren't more reports about the Exynos' battery life, so thank you for this.

No problem! Seems consistent through today as well.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What power setting are people using? I had it on optimised and activated the thing at the bottom too but it seems to be swapping to medium power saving on it's own which turns off the always on display. Is that the thing people are talking about that learns to use less battery or does it do that by default? I'd rather stay on optimal tbh but not if it's at the cost of the device learning to optimise itself.

US for me, I know some places can be stricter about how to transport devices with lithium ion batteries.

At least in the US with FedEx they tend to be fine as long as there's a sticker on the box saying it has a battery. But I've had shipping places require I put it in a special pouch before.
Yeah they sent a letter with a plastic envelope and a choice of two return labels - free 2-4 day or next day. I just grabbed a spare packaging box, smothered the crap out of my old phone in bubble wrap, threw it in the envelope and took it to the Post Office.

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess it is a different process here in the UK then. Now hopefully they can get my parcel out to me soon so I can ship it off.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Still waiting on my parcel from Samsung to return my old phone and I've got until Saturday to send it back. They're gonna be getting a call again if it isn't here by Thursday as the sales department is shut over the weekend too.

Does anyone know a good data recovery method for android btw? To be blunt me and my wife send each other some 'personal' pictures from time to time and I want to make sure I wiped the fragments completely. Flooded it with data a couple times but not sure if something like Recuva would work on android?

I'm assuming they do a proper wipe themselves anyway but I'd rather not have reconstructable nudes of ourselves on a device I'm throwing in the post.
Out of interest, how do you know you have until Saturday to send it back?

I actually have my letter with the packing bag in it, but saw nothing on it like "send by x date or have legs removed". Mine came about 2 days after the phone.

Also UK.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Out of interest, how do you know you have until Saturday to send it back?

I actually have my letter with the packing bag in it, but saw nothing on it like "send by x date or have legs removed". Mine came about 2 days after the phone.

Also UK.

I believe it was in one of the emails or the pdf on the learn more part of their page. However I spoke to the company who deal with the trade ins over the phone today, MTR I think, and they said they've extended it by a week for everyone. So you technically have until 2 weeks after you received your new phone now.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I know this has been asked a few times, but my phone just shipped and I need to know what are good cases. On my S8 I had a case and it slipped out of my pocket and shattered the screen. This phone is so expensive I really need a case with excellent screen protection more than anything else.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I believe it was in one of the emails or the pdf on the learn more part of their page. However I spoke to the company who deal with the trade ins over the phone today, MTR I think, and they said they've extended it by a week for everyone. So you technically have until 2 weeks after you received your new phone now.
Fine.

I actually had sisues with them last year when I sent my Z5 in. They wanted to downgrade my phone from I tihnk £100 to £35 because apparently it had a weak vibrate. Even though it was perfectly fine. In the end I told thme to send it back and I'd sell it myself as it was a total joke, they relented and just gave me the original value on it.

Hoping I don't have the same shit this year with a S9+.

My S10+ hasn't actually arrived yet and won;t until the 21st, as my wife had mine after only just getting her S8 back from repair.

Might have to go without a phone or just use the S3 we have as a backup for a couple of days.

Also, in case you don;t use something already, Nationwides paid bank account will repair or replace damaged phone for £25 excess. Halifax who I was with started at £30, then over the last 3 years that jumped to £50 and now £100. Nationwide only want £50 even if its lost or stolen.

I know this has been asked a few times, but my phone just shipped and I need to know what are good cases. On my S8 I had a case and it slipped out of my pocket and shattered the screen. This phone is so expensive I really need a case with excellent screen protection more than anything else.
I still highly recommend the Tech 21 Evo Check. The front bumpers top and bottom stick out just in front of the screen, so it does a very good job protecting it even in face down drops from height on bad surfaces. There's a review video somewhere in this thread, search for my posts and you'll find it.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this sounds silly, but is the 128gb a micro sd card? I'm just wondering if 512/1tb is just a bigger sd card, or an sd card on top of 128gb etc.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moisturise your fingertips peeps, night and day difference in using the under screen fingerprint scanner for me.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this sounds silly, but is the 128gb a micro sd card? I'm just wondering if 512/1tb is just a bigger sd card, or an sd card on top of 128gb etc.
All the phones are internal storage with a SD card slot should you wish to make them bigger

The 1TB phone can go upto 1.5TB with a 500gb card. Not sure they will support the new 1tb cards yet.

What the fuck anyone needs that much room on a phone for though is beyond me.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
All the phones are internal storage with a SD card slot should you wish to make them bigger

The 1TB phone can go upto 1.5TB with a 500gb card. Not sure they will support the new 1tb cards yet.

What the fuck anyone needs that much room on a phone for though is beyond me.

I'll probably only go for 128gb, was just wondering if the extra £100 for the 256gb was just for a bigger sd card.

It is internal storage. You can add a microSD card in addition to that.

Ok thanks.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably only go for 128gb, was just wondering if the extra £100 for the 256gb was just for a bigger sd card.

I bought the 128gb S9+ last year and currently have 48 GB free. I take a ton of photos and videos of my kid, I have a 7.5GB whatsapp backup, and a mere 5.5gb of Spotify downloaded.

I only went for the 128GB this time around too.

32.4GB of my used space is videos taken on the camera

Moral Panic

Oct 28, 2017
Still waiting on my parcel from Samsung to return my old phone and I've got until Saturday to send it back. They're gonna be getting a call again if it isn't here by Thursday as the sales department is shut over the weekend too.
Yea same I haven't received anything yet to send my old phone in with.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the 128gb S9+ last year and currently have 48 GB free. I take a ton of photos and videos of my kid, I have a 7.5GB whatsapp backup, and a mere 5.5gb of Spotify downloaded.

I only went for the 128GB this time around too.

32.4GB of my used space is videos taken on the camera

I've got the S8+, and only used 30gb out of 64gb, in two years. Just realised that the extra ram is only on the 1tb model.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea same I haven't received anything yet to send my old phone in with.

They given everybody an extra week apparently now so no need to worry too much yet. If you still haven't got it by next week you want to call the MTR group that handle them on 0333 207 9676. I feel like I may as well be Samsungs customer support at this point since they don't seem to interested in doing it themselves.

VICTORsaurio

Mar 10, 2018
I just noticed the camera app doesn't automatically reorient the UI from Portrait to Landscale when you turn the phone around. Is this a bug or a feature?

I mean with locked orientation, which used to work at least on my S8.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Fine.

I still highly recommend the Tech 21 Evo Check. The front bumpers top and bottom stick out just in front of the screen, so it does a very good job protecting it even in face down drops from height on bad surfaces. There's a review video somewhere in this thread, search for my posts and you'll find it.

Thanks man, it's exactly what I was looking for.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
when my fingerprint sensor doesn't work well, it's a sign that I'm ashy as fuck then? lmaoooo

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
So I noticed the s10e's display and colors weren't as lifelike and vibrant as my s8+ no matter how much I altered their settings. Should I assume the s10 and plus have the higher quality displays? I'd go for the 10e if the display looked as good.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
So I noticed the s10e's display and colors weren't as lifelike and vibrant as my s8+ no matter how much I altered their settings. Should I assume the s10 and plus have the higher quality displays? I'd go for the 10e if the display looked as good.

They all hold the same displays other than resolution and I have no idea what you're saying because it's better than my s8+