• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
2020-02-06-at-9-59-05-am.jpg

When and where is the Samsung Unpacked event?
Date: Tuesday, Feb. 11, at the Palace of Fine Arts.

Time:

• 11 a.m. PT
  • 2 p.m. ET
  • 7 p.m. UK
How can I watch the event live?
Samsung will host a livestream of the event on its website.

What do we know about Samsung announcements so far?
Rumors have been ramping up ahead of the event and point to a trio of Galaxy S20 phones replacing what would normally have been called the Galaxy S11 phones. The biggest addition to the new phones is 5G support along with a 120Hz refresh rate OLED screen (matching the Asus ROG Phone 2) and a new 108-megapixel camera.

Samsung is highly likely to reveal the Galaxy Z Flip, a clamshell design meant to challenge the Motorola Razr. And we anticipate seeing some Galaxy Buds Plus and maybe even the Galaxy Watch 2.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I can't wait to see some 108 megapixel stupidity.

I'm in for the S20 Pro almost certainly (5g, 120hz screen), but the Ultra is going to be the dumbest phone on Earth and I'm here for it.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I've only had Galaxies since I got my first smart phone with the S3. If it doesn't have a headphone jack, I will be looking elsewhere.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
I almost bought an S10 Note 5G then looked online and seen this was being unveiled today.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll see what it would cost me through the upgrade program. The headphones would typically piss me off but since they gave me the galaxy buds last year I've honestly not used anything but them and the self charging case kills most of my complaints with them.

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll see what it would cost me through the upgrade program. The headphones would typically piss me off but since they gave me the galaxy buds last year I've honestly not used anything but them and the self charging case kills most of my complaints with them.
i use my buds and like them, but there are just too many use cases I still use the jack, in friends cars (even ones with bluetooth since they dont allow you to connect while the car is moving), when quickly hooking up to my living room speaker, when swapping back n forth from the switch on planes, since the switch doesnt have blutooth. Or swapping with anything really cuz blutooth is super painful to swap between devices.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i use my buds and like them, but there are just too many use cases I still use the jack, in friends cars (even ones with bluetooth since they dont allow you to connect while the car is moving), when quickly hooking up to my living room speaker, when swapping back n forth from the switch on planes, since the switch doesnt have blutooth. Or swapping with anything really cuz blutooth is super painful to swap between devices.

I genuinely thought this would be me too tbh. But I've not had any use for the cable since. My phone connects to the bluetooth on the go in the car for some reason, different countrys laws maybe? And my living room speaker is bluetooth too, but even then I usually just send the play command to the tv which is hooked up to it by optical for the improved sound quality.

I did no end of complaining about the lack of them in phones, and tbh I still would had they not chucked £100+ ones at me for pre ordering. But the uses have actually surprised me. Like if I'm having to be on hold for ages that right bud is going in and it's a real time saver in those cases.

I'd completely understand people who want the port though. I chose the S10 for it. I'm just surprised how little use it got looking back on the last year.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
phone is due an upgrade in... 12 months! So I will be interested to see what is shown as it will probably be cheap enough on contract by then for me!

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Will probably be picking this up next month. I've always been an "upgrade every two years" type of guy but the S10 didn't look like much of a leap forward compared to the S8. If the rumors for the S20 are true then this should feel like a real upgrade.

skrskg

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I really hope the Galaxy Flip will be the one for me. I'm on a S8, and although it's still a great phone for my everyday needs, I want that form factor.

But after seeing Jerryrigeverything testing the Razr, Samsung needs to nail the design. No gap when closed, no way for anything to get beneath the screen.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
If the rumored prices are real, they are DOA. Unfuckingbelievable that Samsung has the audacity to ask for such prices while giving their phones just 2 OS upgrades.

At least the s10e and s10 were fairly priced.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
If the rumored prices are real, they are DOA. Unfuckingbelievable that Samsung has the audacity to ask for such prices while giving their phones just 2 OS upgrades.

At least the s10e and s10 were fairly priced.
Idiots wanted more after S10 barely changed anything, they got the monkey's paw.

Feb 1, 2018
108MP lmao. I don't see the point of the megapixel race in 2020, consumers are starting to know better (skin tones, dynamic range, color science >>>>>> resolution)

High MP count is literally only useful for large format prints, and I dont see anybody doing that for their phone pictures. So it's essentially just "higher numbers = better" marketing

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
There's no headphone jack for those who are wondering.

It's been known for a while. Come to the Android thread, we have cookies

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can't wait to see how terrible the battery life is because of the separate silicon for the 5G modem.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
108MP lmao. I don't see the point of the megapixel race in 2020, consumers are starting to know better (skin tones, dynamic range, color science >>>>>> resolution)

High MP count is literally only useful for large format prints, and I dont see anybody doing that for their phone pictures. So it's essentially just "higher numbers = better" marketing
Yeah, no. Imagine thinking like this.

If bigger sensors bring better photography, welcomed be the MP race.

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So from the rumours the only real differences between the Pro and the Ultra seem to be marginally bigger screen on the Ultra (0.2 inches), slightly bigger battery, with the main drawn being a better camera. I think the Ultra has a base storage of 256GB as well?

If that's the only real difference I'll probably stick with the Pro. The screen size difference is pretty negligable, the larger battery (And thus increased weight) probably won't provide that much extra life with the bigger screen, the camera on my S10+ is great so if the S20 Pro is an improvement on that I'm more than happy, and you'd have to be a chump to pay for extra storage on a phone that has a MicroSD slot. (At least I assume they haven't ditched MicroSD like they have the headphone jack...)

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
So Samsung finally ditched the headphone jack for its main flagships? I know the note didn't have it last year, but now these ones don't. Interesting.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So Samsung finally ditched the headphone jack for its main flagships? I know the note didn't have it last year, but now these ones don't. Interesting.
Pretty much every rumour and leak points to it being that way sadly.

There's always the tiny possibility that it's wrong, or Samsung were just trolling, but that's almost definitely wishful thinking on my part.

I wouldn't mind so much if they'd give the option of a decent pair of Bluetooth Headphones as a pre-order bonus rather than that in-ear shite.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

That's not true. It allows for zoom and detail from distance better. Mostly the issue with higher MP counts was that the processors couldn't handle it and you wound up crushing the detail at full zoom anyway so it was pointless. The new Snapdragon is supposed to be able to process much higher than even 108MP well.

I mean, for the average user it's stupid too much, but it's not completely pointless.