• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
This feels like an american thing, i always find it bizarre how people talk about how they got their phone for free when in reality you are paying for it with your monthly payments.

Depends.

Buy One Get One free promotions usually require a line be added, but the phone itself is credited monthly for the two years, so at the end of 24 months, the phone is free.

No carrier is going to give a phone away for free without getting something in return.

All a phone payment is, is the total price of the phone, minus taxes, divided into 24 months.

I got my Note 10 on a 50% promotion. My phone, at the end of two years, will only cost me $450. Seeing as I'm happy with my carrier (T-Mobile), that's a great deal.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
No 3.5mm jack

Yep that's me done with Samsung then.
Samsung still makes phones with headphone jacks. You want a 3.5 jack in the future, you have to step down to the A line.

Damn near every brand is ditching headphone jacks for their top of the line phones, but everyone's keeping them for their mid-tier and lower phones. The literal last holdout is LG, and I'm sure they're going to ditch theirs by next year, too.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
So you can trade in your old S10 in the US for 700 dollars but in Europe Samsung only offers around 200 euro's, a scam.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Samsung is offering a $600 trade-in for an S10+
Best Buy is offering up to $850 trade-in (unclear on what qualifies for that amount)

Preorders go live next week.

(US)

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe
I'm actually surprised they went away from the screen curves on the edges. A step in the good direction, I say. Other than that, I'll actually wait for the reviews to see how all the big spec numbers translate in real-world usage.
120Hz screen sure is nice but not if it drains battery like crazy.

gr0w

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm still rocking the Oneplus 5T, battery is slowly but steady getting worse, that camera has already been crap at release, hmmmm should I go for the S20+?
I'm sure I would still get at least 200 bucks for the 5T, and in the Netherlands earbuds+ are included for preorders. Still, 930€ is quite a lot (when extending my contract via t-mobile for a year).

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Damn the trade in deal is tempting, $400 for an S20 with an S8 trade in.

Edit: NVM the site wasn't showing it right.

Last edited:

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Samsung still makes phones with headphone jacks. You want a 3.5 jack in the future, you have to step down to the A line.

Damn near every brand is ditching headphone jacks for their top of the line phones, but everyone's keeping them for their mid-tier and lower phones. The literal last holdout is LG, and I'm sure they're going to ditch theirs by next year, too.
LG ditching the jack after promoting their G8 as an audiophile dream device would certainly be something

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung is offering a $600 trade-in for an S10+
Best Buy is offering up to $850 trade-in (unclear on what qualifies for that amount)

Preorders go live next week.

(US)
That's absurd, in a good way. I'll probably get 500 euro's for my Note 10+ here in The Netherlands.
Edit: Lmaaoo they're giving 350 euro's for a 10+ and they don't accept a Note 10...I'm done 🤣

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about an 8k eco system but all it comes down to is you can shoot an 8k vid (max 1.5 tb size, so...good luck) and then cast it to your 8k tv without quality loss...

People are still switching to 4k, who the hell is going to cast their home made videos to their 8k tv in 2020?

8k would be useful for film makers and editors but eh, at that point, how large is the segment of film makers who can't afford a real camera but do need 8k shots?
You're not thinking long term though. You can never go back and gain quality after the fact (although AI and reconstruction is making this less of an issue). People aren't always looking to watch this stuff immediately. I have videos of my kids so I can still watch them when they're grown up. I have old digital photos from early distal cameras that will never be even remotely high resolution to look at today. I have photos and videos from growing up that won't be anywhere close to the quality of what we can do today. So even if you can't utilize it now, some day you will and will be glad it's in the quality it's in.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone in the UK that's already on the Upgrade Program able to pre-order yet?

I log in to the Upgrade Lounge and it says I'm not yet eligible to upgrade (Though gives no date on when I can)

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'll wait to see if they do the student discounts again. I had no intention of getting the S10 at launch but the student pre-order pricing was around $250 less.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The Pro Video thing is completely BS. Samsung offered it as a selling point for the S9, took it away with One UI, and still haven't put it back despite repeated promises to do so.

North American S9 for what it's worth.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Might get an S20 if I can get a good deal. At least they offer 4G models here which takes AU$150 off the price the the 5G offerings.

I doubt the preorder deals will be less than RRP and there isn't even a bonus for the S20 so might be waiting a couple months. My S7 Edge may see its 3rd birthday yet (Purchased May 2016 IIRC) .

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
I really hate that the hideous camera block sticking out of the back has become the thing this generation of phones. I'll stick with my s10+.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in the UK that's already on the Upgrade Program able to pre-order yet?

I log in to the Upgrade Lounge and it says I'm not yet eligible to upgrade (Though gives no date on when I can)
Yeah, but I got an email a few days ago to tell me in advance. Did you order for launch day? My wife got her S10 a couple weeks later so her upgrade isnt available yet.

Personally I'm not sure I want to. The phone is ugly IMO, and even though its only a couple pounds more a month they've got a new clause where you have to pay an additional £160 at the end of the contract if you decide to keep it. Color options are trash too.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but I got an email a few days ago to tell me in advance. Did you order for launch day? My wife got her S10 a couple weeks later so her upgrade isnt available yet.

Personally I'm not sure I want to. The phone is ugly IMO, and even though its only a couple pounds more a month they've got a new clause where you have to pay an additional £160 at the end of the contract if you decide to keep it. Color options are trash too.
I've been on the Upgrade Program since the S8. I was able to pre-order the S9 and S10 before they came out and got both of them on launch day.

A guy at work joined the Upgrade Program with the S10 and got the same e-mail a few days ago telling him he'd be able to pre-order from the event, but I didn't get any such e-mail.

I might contact Samsung support and ask why I can't pre-order.

EDIT - I'm an idiot. I was putting in my Loan agreement number from my S9 and not the new one for my S10....

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Sweet merciful christ.

btxYNE0.png

Samsung is offering a generous $257CDN for trade-in, too. Even for a 512GB S10+.

Jul 4, 2018
I'm not a Samsung guy (tried the Galaxy Tab S back in the day and wasn't for me) but I love how much they are pushing the camera and display tech in this phone lineup. 120hz refresh on an OLED display is dope. 8K and 100x zoom is crazy, hope the phones work awesome for those that are going to pick them up and hope some of the tech makes it way to their phones on the market.

Will say I'm still not sold of the foldable phones but hope for the best for the Z Flip although I'm still underwhelmed by it.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultra looks so nice, gotta keep telling myself I can't justify trading in my 10+ after only owning it for 6 months. Next year's flagship will probably be well over $2,000 at this rate

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so my current monthly payments on my S10+ are £33.71/month, and these are the options I have on the Upgrade Programme,

vrNm851.jpg

For £3/month extra the Ultra is almost tempting to be honest even though I wasn't bothered about it before.
Now that details are out I need to look more into the actual differences rather than the rumoured ones.

No way I'd go for the 512GB Ultra though when it's £42/month

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
If the rumored prices are real, they are DOA. Unfuckingbelievable that Samsung has the audacity to ask for such prices while giving their phones just 2 OS upgrades.
I prefer less updates over Apple's "update" policy that shortens the battery life to "encourage" people to buy new hardware. In fact, no update at all would still be better then 4 years of iOS updates.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been on the Upgrade Program since the S8. I was able to pre-order the S9 and S10 before they came out and got both of them on launch day.

A guy at work joined the Upgrade Program with the S10 and got the same e-mail a few days ago telling him he'd be able to pre-order from the event, but I didn't get any such e-mail.

I might contact Samsung support and ask why I can't pre-order.

EDIT - I'm an idiot. I was putting in my Loan agreement number from my S9 and not the new one for my S10....

Ah glad to see it's working now. Is it just me or does it seem like a bit of a raw deal? I only joined the upgrade program last year but this deal seems awful by comparison. Last year I nabbed an S10 for a fixed cost of 22.50. Now the S20 is 24.90 ish with a final payment of 160. Up front costs are similar for each at least but the s20 goes to 27.90 ish for 5g.

Just curious if this one seemed a bit worse than usual to someone who's been on the program longer.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy's pre-order/trade-in offer is yet again crappy for people who want an unlocked phone:

"For unlocked phones and one-time payment, this value will be a Best Buy® Gift Card, which cannot be applied to your Samsung Galaxy S20 5G series purchase."

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Ah glad to see it's working now. Is it just me or does it seem like a bit of a raw deal? I only joined the upgrade program last year but this deal seems awful by comparison. Last year I nabbed an S10 for a fixed cost of 22.50. Now the S20 is 24.90 ish with a final payment of 160. Up front costs are similar for each at least but the s20 goes to 27.90 ish for 5g.

Just curious if this one seemed a bit worse than usual to someone who's been on the program longer.
I'd say it's about the same really.

Last year I had to pay £89 up front to upgrade from my S9+ to the S10+, but my monthly payment went down by £1/month.
This time if I go from the S10+ to the S20+ I have to pay £100 up front, but my monthly payments would go down by £3/month.

The larger final payment is the big change though, as that never used to be there. I suspect there are one of two reasons for that though,

1) They used to just spread that final cost throughout the 24 month agreement so you were still paying it, just not in a lump sum
2) They changed the company that provides the finance from "Klarna" to "Close Brothers" last year and this change may be a stipulation of the finance partner and how their agreements work rather than something from Samsung themselves.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Buy's pre-order/trade-in offer is yet again crappy for people who want an unlocked phone:

"For unlocked phones and one-time payment, this value will be a Best Buy® Gift Card, which cannot be applied to your Samsung Galaxy S20 5G series purchase."

And even if you were planning another large purchase at BB to use that gift card, you will be paying sales tax on the full price of the phone.

Vs buying from samsung where you only pay salestax on the post-tradein price

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Hm, I can't figure out what's going on with the colours either.

On the Upgrade Progamme the S20+ is offered in "Cosmic Blue", but has no pictures of that colour.
If you go to the actual official product page though the option is "Cloud Blue"

I can't decide if it's just a mistake or not, because the Upgrade Programme for the regular S20 does list the colour as "Cloud Blue" rather than "Cosmic"

Also, no mention on the Upgrade Programme of getting the Buds+ as a pre-order bonus. We got them last year though.
I don't want them, they're in-ear shite, but you can flog them on eBay to pretty much cover the cost of the upfront charge.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's about the same really.

Last year I had to pay £89 up front to upgrade from my S9+ to the S10+, but my monthly payment went down by £1/month.
This time if I go from the S10+ to the S20+ I have to pay £100 up front, but my monthly payments would go down by £3/month.

The larger final payment is the big change though, as that never used to be there. I suspect there are one of two reasons for that though,

1) They used to just spread that final cost throughout the 24 month agreement so you were still paying it, just not in a lump sum
2) They changed the company that provides the finance from "Klarna" to "Close Brothers" last year and this change may be a stipulation of the finance partner and how their agreements work rather than something from Samsung themselves.

Oh I didn't know they'd changed from klarna. I suppose one other difference is this time I'd be trading in a phone that isnt paid off rather than getting decent credit for one, despite it being a couple years old at that point.

That final charge is a little off putting though. I'm thinking it might be an idea to upgrade to the basic s20 and pass on 5g and just stay on the yearly upgrade to never get hit with the cost but I guess that's the catch. I'd be hinging my hopes on getting 5g in next years model though.

Gonna have to have a think. It wouldn't be so hard a choice if they'd made some damn colours though lol. I got the green S10 and my choice would be a pretty hideous grey XD

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the price hikes and lack of headphone jack, it's really crappy that the S20 doesn't even have real 5G. I like the size of the S10 and I believe the S20 will be about the same but I wouldn't spend $1000 on a phone that doesn't even have proper 5G support, especially since Verizon 5G depends on the tech that the S20 lacks.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Oh I didn't know they'd changed from klarna. I suppose one other difference is this time I'd be trading in a phone that isnt paid off rather than getting decent credit for one, despite it being a couple years old at that point.

That final charge is a little off putting though. I'm thinking it might be an idea to upgrade to the basic s20 and pass on 5g and just stay on the yearly upgrade to never get hit with the cost but I guess that's the catch. I'd be hinging my hopes on getting 5g in next years model though.

Gonna have to have a think. It wouldn't be so hard a choice if they'd made some damn colours though lol. I got the green S10 and my choice would be a pretty hideous grey XD
You don't pay the final charge if you upgrade. You only pay that if you decide not to upgrade and keep the phone for the full 24 months.

When you upgrade you just pay the (smaller) "Pay now" price.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I watched couple of videos showing regular S20 / S20 Ultra and those phones got some nice tech under the hood. Crazy impressive camera. I doubt that Apple will catch up to it this year. I'm thinking about going back to Android and S20 Ultra seems like a nice choice.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You don't pay the final charge if you upgrade. You only pay that if you decide not to upgrade and keep the phone for the full 24 months.

Yeah I'm thinking I may just roll with that. I'll actually miss this S10 though. But I'm thinking of that camera and with a holiday booked for the end of April it would mean even better photos. Pity I cant trade in the old buds too lol.

What I really need to see is how this camera does with video in low light. We tried to record a few shows on these and the videos are trash at low light. If its significantly better it's going to be very tempting.