• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Does the phone have dynamic refresh rate like the iPad Pro? Don't need 120hz for videos. If you're running 120hz 1080p does that mean you'll have to manually change the resolution back every time you watch a 1440p video?

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Okay S8 user, love my S8 but battery is terrible these days and getting a good case I like it's getting harder. So I'm going to upgrade.
My question, a new S10(cheaper now) or wait for few months for price dropped S20?
Basically sell me on buying the shiny new expensive toy :p

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from the price hikes and lack of headphone jack, it's really crappy that the S20 doesn't even have real 5G. I like the size of the S10 and I believe the S20 will be about the same but I wouldn't spend $1000 on a phone that doesn't even have proper 5G support, especially since Verizon 5G depends on the tech that the S20 lacks.

Not sure I agree with calling mmWave "real 5G," but yes, ideally you'd have both. It's more an indictment of Verizon that they don't support sub 6.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like buying an Iphone has more value now.
Those prices with just 2 years worth of update, is imo too high.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we have any idea if the galaxy buds + fix the delay issue that the regular buds have with phone games? That's my main complaint about them.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
3-5 years of OS support compared to 2 years.
I know that big OS updates are not that impactful nowadays, but its still something I think about when getting a phone.
I really don't get this point for Android... os updates usually don't do much except from changing the ui... core apps get updated regardless and security patches last way longer

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
So T-Mobile is having a sale on Pixel's tomorrow. They are dropping to $400. Can trade it in for the S20 for $600.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Hopefully the phone automatically switches to 1440p 60hz when you're watching 4K videos on Netflix or YT.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
It's still pretty lame that powerful devices aren't always supported for more than a couple years. There's no reason not to

although by doing that you either have the new os crippling older hardware or not making much of a difference... I understand that if you are used to that you might prefer it but it is a point of view that I cannot really share

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
although by doing that you either have the new os crippling older hardware or not making much of a difference... I understand that if you are used to that you might prefer it but it is a point of view that I cannot really share

lol this is a very lame excuse. How is it that PC, Mac, Consoles are supported many years down the road but these phones with just as much power now days still not?

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that makes me want to keep my S10 is the color (prism white) and the rear camera array, which looks so much better than the S20... but the back of the phone is out of sight, out of mind most of the time, so why does it matter? On the other hand, the less-curved screen and smaller/centered camera cut-out is an improvement IMO. I hate how the UI elements on the top bar are pushed into the middle on the S10.

I definitely don't need this phone but the price after trade in is tempting.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that makes me want to keep my S10 is the color (prism white) and the rear camera array, which looks so much better than the S20... but the back of the phone is out of sight, out of mind most of the time, so why does it matter? On the other hand, the less-curved screen and smaller/centered camera cut-out is an improvement IMO. I hate how the UI elements on the top bar are pushed into the middle on the S10.

I definitely don't need this phone but the price after trade in is tempting.
For me personally, I lay my phone down face up and I don't have a case, so the wobble would get annoying.

Less curved screen I can take or leave, but I hate the center camera. It took me until OneUI2 to be able to get a centered clock again with Good Lock (well, I could do it before with SystemUI Turner, but that always put the clock above all other elements and looked stupid) and I'm not in a rush to have a camera disrupt that.

Plus, it's easier to ignore the black hole when it's in a corner of a video rather than right at the side.

alex.magnus

Oct 28, 2017
lol this is a very lame excuse. How is it that PC, Mac, Consoles are supported many years down the road but these phones with just as much power now days still not?

let's break this down...

1 unlike for phones I never heard anyone picking pc over Mac based on the number of possible os upgrades.

2 both Mac and pc actually have fans so they can be pushed much more compared to something that has to rely on passive cooling

3 console barely change much on their os regarding background power consumption and the hardware throughout a generation changes just a few times and the new improved hardware is used to improve game performance and not to improve what the os can do

4 consoles as well do not have to rely on passive cooling

5 being picky consoles os updates should be compared to minor version updates of a phone, not to major releases. on top of that most of the times when a console gets an update that aims at changing os resources consumption it is to optimise performance and free up resources for the games

6 phones unlike the other hardware you described are the ones upgrading the hardware at the fastest pace : look at the power gap from one iPhone and one released one year later

7 phone os major releases aim at making the best out of the new shiny hardware, which is extremely more powerful than what was released 3 years prior

8 not getting the next major release on Android is not stopping your phone from getting either security patches or new versions of core apps, so the point is really moot

edit:

actually the more I think about it the more what you are saying has a point :

my "lame excuse" totally applies to pc and consoles.

the os upgrades you yearly get on ios are indeed upgrades, aka major releases.

consoles os updates are anything but close to being majors, and pc get a major every many years and the new os would actually cripple the hardware of a device released two major releases prior.
try installing windows 10 on a pc that was released when Vista came out and let me know how it performs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
3-5 years of OS support compared to 2 years.
I know that big OS updates are not that impactful nowadays, but its still something I think about when getting a phone.

What even is this???

Samsung devices get 3+ years of support! Even beating fucking Google pixel devices.

The galaxy s6 had 3 years of updates and the s7 3 1/2 years worth of security updates. Same looks to be for the s8.

Starting with android 10, more of the core system apps will get flung to the play store so they will be updated for YEARS that way.

Even low end samsung devices get good support. My mums j5 2017 got android 8 AND 9, on top of security and bug fixes.

On to the devices. They look very tasty and apart from the loss of the headphone jack, look like big upgrades over the s9. The 120hz screen alone is fucking great compared to the s10.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
there's a gaming mode but it's doubtful it will make fishing in Animal Crossing any good. Bluetooth audio just isn't built for gaming.

I've used other bluetooth earphones with my S8 and they've been fine, my galaxy buds are the only ones where it's been this noticeable, which is a shame because they're otherwise pretty convenient. Hope that gaming mode helps.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really curious about how that camera performs in real life.
Pixel binning in low light, how does it handle the smaller sensor pixel size in good light condition, OIS, etc. I would consider buying the ultra if the camera is best in class. If not, might be a better value to just stick to the Note10 plus or iPhone 11 pro max.

Method

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanna upgrade from my S8+ but damn these prices and no headphone jack. What other Android phones are coming out in the next few months comparable to the s20 ultra or s20+?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
just upgraded from an s10 to s5 (yeah, i know...). i'll be getting the s20 headphones or no

a burnt child dreads the fire

Nov 8, 2017
My fave thing about wireless headphones is that they constantly have disconnection issues for a second or two just with my phone in my pocket. Or when the wind blows strongly. It's fucked. Both my old cheap set and Galaxy buds on an S9. Drives me fucking mad.

Is this a tall person thing? I'm not even a giant or anything.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
My fave thing about wireless headphones is that they constantly have disconnection issues for a second or two just with my phone in my pocket. Or when the wind blows strongly. It's fucked. Both my old cheap set and Galaxy buds on an S9. Drives me fucking mad.

Is this a tall person thing? I'm not even a giant or anything.

what pants are you wearing

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward from the upgrade from my S9+ to the Ultra. Now to forget about how much this is costing oof.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Samsung still makes phones with headphone jacks. You want a 3.5 jack in the future, you have to step down to the A line.

Damn near every brand is ditching headphone jacks for their top of the line phones, but everyone's keeping them for their mid-tier and lower phones. The literal last holdout is LG, and I'm sure they're going to ditch theirs by next year, too.

Yeah, it sucks but at least non-flagship phones have been keeping the jack. Luckily mid-range phones are so good these days. When I upgrade my S9 in a year or two I might have to get a mid-range, and I'm ok with that. The only big feature I really care about these days is a good camera.