• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Bixby button is awesome after remapping it with BXActions. It's going to be hard to go to a phone without a mute toggle in the future. That was the best thing about having an extra physical button.

Yeah I'd actually miss it. I think I'd do what I have with my friends for him, where the power button is used for Bixby and the phone turned off via the drop down menu instead. I use mine for the camera and flashlight but outside of that I use BX actions to skip tracks etc via the volume buttons too.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
As an iphone 7 user looking to jump into android and as someone who thinks the camera tech is cool but not worth it personally, it seems like the S20 is for me. Perhaps even the S10+. The lower tier 5G doesn't really bother me either since i'd be back on a 2 year phone cycle.

I'll have to do a side by side with the S10 too before I jump in completely. The free buds makes the deal a bit sweeter.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is there a distinct lack of coverage this time round? Like when the S10 was announced there were videos propping up all over about the fingerprint solutions for the models, video stabilisation etc. This time I just wanna find some low light video shot on the base S20 and its proving virtually impossible.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Yes playing moving images including games and videos on a processor is nothing like doing the same on a pc.
Switch drops the res to keep the frame rate high when mobile.
The whole OS runs at 1080p in 120hz mode. Dont tell me the S20 doesnt have enough power to move some icons and insta pictures around faster.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Don't tell me that's all people do with their phones.
Most people use a smartphone for instagram, facebook, twitter, youtube, music streaming, shopping and other basic stuff like taking pictures and texting, yes. The phone could still run games in 60hz if it needs to. Baffling why they made this decision, Oneplus did it better with their 90hz panel IMO.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Went to my region's Samsung site to see if they had prices, and found something interesting: the Ultra here is going to be LTE, not 5G

Shit's still going to be super expensive though, as for reference the Note 10+ retail price for the 256GB version is ~1549 US dollars and I don't see it being cheaper than that (also an S10+ 128GB goes for around 1200, which was also what the S9+ retailed for, so I expect the prices of the S20/+ to be the about same at least)

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm torn, for the longest time the last few months I've wanted to get a note 10+ because i have an S8+ and its broken. Now the S20s are announced and I am torn.

The N10+ has the sexy aura glow and the pen which were some of the reasons why i wanted it. The S20 Ultra is a beast and ia probably the better phone but the colors are so boring lol.

Power vs Appeal. I can't decide.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, hard debating on either the plus or ultra. Gonna (hopefully) wait to see for sales/price drops first in the coming months.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is there a distinct lack of coverage this time round? Like when the S10 was announced there were videos propping up all over about the fingerprint solutions for the models, video stabilisation etc. This time I just wanna find some low light video shot on the base S20 and its proving virtually impossible.
it's the same as last time.

that stuff won't show up until review embargoes are up.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Most people use a smartphone for instagram, facebook, twitter, youtube, music streaming, shopping and other basic stuff like taking pictures and texting, yes. The phone could still run games in 60hz if it needs to. Baffling why they made this decision, Oneplus did it better with their 90hz panel IMO.

I am sure your engineers will do better with power draw and performance when you put new refresh rates on your phone's.
Damming without reason is happening a lot here.
I would never use 120hz personally, but I also don't pretend to know why they locked at 1080p, but obviously it's a decision they made for no good reason.

I only do that with my phone.

I have 2-3 games installed, but probably i clocked about 2 hour max.

Everything else can benefit from 120fps.

And they all need the full Res I am sure twitter sucks at 1080p.
Odd that my S10+ has been that way since launch and it hasn't bothered me one bit.
At least they gave you the choice :)

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't the s20 have "real" 5G?
it has real sub-6 5G, so it supports the low band 5G on ATT and Tmo and the mid band 5G on Sprint. it just doesn't support the high band mmWave 5G as that requires a pair of larger antennas and they're still working on it. they have already announced that they'll be releasing a model that supports it on Verizon in Q2.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Crazy prices. Also my S10 is not even a year old but it's already 'old'. Hate this shit. But I see no reason to upgrade.

The flip phone looks dope tho.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I am sure your engineers will do better with power draw and performance when you put new refresh rates on your phone's.
Damming without reason is happening a lot here.
I would never use 120hz personally, but I also don't pretend to know why they locked at 1080p, but obviously it's a decision they made for no good reason.

And they all need the full Res I am sure twitter sucks at 1080p.
Odd that my S10+ has been that way since launch and it hasn't bothered me one bit.
At least they gave you the choice :)
If they want me to spend so much on their new flagship, they need some killer features. Not this half-baked solution.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
There seems to be no ceiling on the amount of money people will pay for an idle time wasting device.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
it has real sub-6 5G, so it supports the low band 5G on ATT and Tmo and the mid band 5G on Sprint. it just doesn't support the high band mmWave 5G as that requires a pair of larger antennas and they're still working on it. they have already announced that they'll be releasing a model that supports it on Verizon in Q2.
Thanks. How does that affect speed and signal? I'm on T-mo.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. How does that affect speed and signal? I'm on T-mo.
mmWave has the fastest speed, but is short range and has almost no penetration. the rain or your hand is enough to block it.
and as the penetration rises, the speed drops. so mid band is slower with more range and penetration and low band is even slower with even more range and penetration.
by the time mmWave is ready for prime time, we'll all be upgrading again... maybe twice.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
mmWave has the fastest speed, but is short range and has almost no penetration. the rain or your hand is enough to block it.
and as the penetration rises, the speed drops. so mid band is slower with more range and penetration and low band is even slower with even more range and penetration.
by the time mmWave is ready for prime time, we'll all be upgrading again... maybe twice.
I live out in the relative sticks (although I'm pretty close to a major highway), so it sounds like I'm not getting mmWave coverage at my place anytime soon, anyway.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Upgraded today from the S9. Damn expensive though.

S20+ Vodafone £60 a month for unlimited data 2 years Spotify premium.

What's with networks now capping download speads depending on what tariff you on.

I didn't know they did that.

At least the buds are free with the phone.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Exynos battery life was horrible on my S9+, why Samsung.

So is there really no dynamic refresh system being implemented? The screen doesn't need to be running at 120hz 24/7, and it doesn't need to be 1080p 24/7.