• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
no 1440p 120hz option is stupid as fuck and is the main reason that's holding me back. You should have absolutely no compromises at these prices.

Razer phone 1 was able to do 1440p 120fps just fine in 2017. There are already rumors that the note 20 will have an improved 120hz screen too.

The shitty fp sensor from last year apparently is the same too.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017

Cell Phones & Smartphones | Shop the Newest Mobile Phones | T-Mobile

Special deals on the latest cell phones and smartphones. Get FREE SHIPPING on phones and devices with new activations.

Samsung's trade in page:

www.samsung.com

Buy Galaxy S20, S20+ & S20 Ultra 5G | Price & Deals | Samsung US

Find the best price for the Galaxy S20, S20+ or S20 Ultra no matter your carrier. Upgrade, trade in or switch to the latest S20 at 24 mo. 0% APR.

good looking out

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
no 1440p 120hz option is stupid as fuck and is the main reason that's holding me back. You should have absolutely no compromises at these prices.

Razer phone 1 was able to do 1440p 120fps just fine in 2017. There are already rumors that the note 20 will have an improved 120hz screen too.

The fingerprint scanner on the S10 series is great. Nothing shitty about it at all.

Oct 25, 2017
The fingerprint scanner on the S10 series is great. Nothing shitty about it at all.

It's awful on my note 10+ with a whitestone tempered screen protector, the ones that tout being great with it. It's just wildly inconsistent and the animation has a large delay so it takes a good while for you to even know if its working or not.

Sometimes it works perfect. other times it doesn't work at all if my fingers are too moist or too dry or w/e.

Never had any issues with my oneplus 7 pro or 6t with the optical sensors.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
It's awful on my note 10+ with a whitestone tempered screen protector, the ones that tout being great with it. It's just wildly inconsistent and the animation has a large delay so it takes a good while for you to even know if its working or not.

Sometimes it works perfect. other times it doesn't work at all if my fingers are too moist or too dry or w/e.

Never had any issues with my oneplus 7 pro or 6t with the optical sensors.

Screen protectors are all shit with the scanner. I've tried a bunch. The ones we sell here even had holes in them where the scanner is.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Very odd. Never had a single issue since launch, although I do add two of the same fingerprint to the scanner for better results.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
Except the $999 version doesn't truly seem premium but almost like the "budget" E model. It lacks proper 5G support by not having mmWave support that Verizon uses for 5G, Tmobile version of 5G is barely faster than 4G so you really want something like mmWave support. To top it all off, it also lacks the depth sensor lens the S20+ has. The S20 and S20+ should be identical in features but only a size difference, instead the S20 lacks features (S10 and S10+ were identical feature wise).

They weren't identical feature wise. The S10 has one front facing camera, the S10+ has 2.

I just feel that charging $999 is too much for the base S20 when it lacks features the S20+ has, should have kept it at $899 at most, although since it is the equivalent of the E model now, that is more like a $250 price increase.

The other major problem I have with the phone is you can't use the screen at 1440p at 120 Hz, I like my high resolution screen and a higher refresh rate means nothing if I can't run my phone at its native resolution.

It's not the equivalent of the E model, though, so it's only $100 more than the S10 equivalent.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I hope there's some sort of dynamic resolution/refresh rate stuff going on. I'm fine with the 120hz mode knocking me down to 1080p when I'm scrolling through a website or whatever, but I hope it's smart enough to kick the screen back up to full resolution when I'm watching video content that doesn't benefit from the refresh rate.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
I hope there's some sort of dynamic resolution/refresh rate stuff going on. I'm fine with the 120hz mode knocking me down to 1080p when I'm scrolling through a website or whatever, but I hope it's smart enough to kick the screen back up to full resolution when I'm watching video content that doesn't benefit from the refresh rate.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is the case. At least that's been my impression from the hands-on's I've seen. I guess that could be added as a software update but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have an S8 want to upgrade, can anyone sell me on an S20 opposed to a cheaper S10 - is it just better camera?

Slightly larger battery but thats probably going to be negated by the refresh rate. Refresh rate is an upgrade though, unless you dont want to settle at 1080p. Camera is an upgrade. Other than that it seems like all the rest is exclusive to the + and the ultra. I'm debating it for the camera but its not as easy a sell as the 10 was for me despite using my S10 at 1080 so actually being able to benefit from the refresh rate.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The more I look at this the less appealing it is to be honest even though I hate my Exynos S9+ right now because it has OLED burn in and horrible battery life.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an S10+ and note 10+ and both are fine with the fingerprint scanner.
Only one of those we sold looked terrible when it was on, but so far the only one i'd trust is the built in one it comes with.
I've been using cheap protective film from amazon since the S8+ and every single one of them is better than the one that comes with the phones which looks like a scuffed up scratchy mess within a month or so.

And they all work perfectly with the fingerprint scanner. They are the easiest and simplest choice for screen protection especially if you want the fingerprint scanner to.work with your screen protector.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I have an S10+ and note 10+ and both are fine with the fingerprint scanner.
I've been using cheap protective film from amazon since the S8+ and every single one of them is better than the one that comes with the phones which looks like a scuffed up scratchy mess within a month or so.

And they all work perfectly with the fingerprint scanner. They are the easiest and simplest choice for screen protection especially if you want the fingerprint scanner to.work with your screen protector.

Samsung have only been doing built in screen protectors since the S10 series. Everything previous has just been the shipping plastic, which should be removed straight away.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung have only been doing built in screen protectors since the S10 series. Everything previous has just been the shipping plastic, which should be removed straight away.
I know.

My point is that the ones that come with the phones (obviously not the ones pre s10 with the big "peel here" tabs etc) aren't as good as even the cheapest plastic films that I've used because despite having a nice smooth glass like feel, they scratch easily and quickly to the point of becoming horrible to look at in a short space of time.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
www.cnet.com

Samsung Galaxy Buds Plus review: AirPods competitor ramps up the performance

The Galaxy Buds Plus may look the same as their predecessors, but they're significantly improved.

www.youtube.com

The Call Quality KING! Samsung Galaxy Buds+ Detailed Review | Call Quality Test

Spoiler the best call quality earbuds I have tested! Check out the test buy jumping to the index. The Samsung Galaxy Buds+ are great for call quality @Sam...

Looks good to me.

I don't think it's worth waiting for Google's buds. I don't have that kind of patience right now. I think I'll order these soon.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

I can't remember seeing you ever this bothered about anything in android land. But I agree, it's stupid.

FP sensor is also an issue for me when my hands are dry as fuck or when there's water on the screen around that area.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Samsung already shipped me the bonus charger that comes with my preorder, lol okay.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember seeing you ever this bothered about anything in android land. But I agree, it's stupid.

FP sensor is also an issue for me when my hands are dry as fuck or when there's water on the screen around that area.

Guess i just been hoping the rumors were wrong lol.

Also I definitely can tell that text is blurrier on samsung phones when they are in FHD mode on a 1440p screen. I wonder if its a rendering/upscaling issue that you don't notice on a native 1080p screen like my pixel 3a xl, or oneplus 6.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also I definitely can tell that text is blurrier on samsung phones when they are in FHD mode on a 1440p screen. I wonder if its a rendering/upscaling issue that you don't notice on a native 1080p screen like my pixel 3a xl, or oneplus 6.
You also notice this on native 1080p oled. Especially if you read a bunch of text like on resetera or other forums. OnePlus 8 pro will have 1440p 120hz atleast

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

I don't notice really...

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People can just wait a few months. Prices drop pretty fast on Samsung phones. You can get these for hundreds of dollars less during say amazon prime day.
This doesn't have anything to do with Samsung. Companies can easier reduce price for the most expensive models because cost to manufacture $1300 phone might be $600 or $700, where as competition in $300-400 price segment is brutal, and cost to manufacture these mid range phones is very close to asking price, so they "appear" to hold launch price for longer.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
No headphone jack is really giving me pause. If there's another highend product with a large screen and very good battery, I'll give them consideration.

Not jumping in to this one even though I really want a new phone. Been with my Galaxy S6+ for way too long now. I might even try to just get an S9+ somewhere :/

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you definitely get the new buds if using the upgrade lounge? I was just looking at possibly ordering mine (that's gonna hurt the wallet this month) and at the checkout it only lists the phone and upgrade plan but no new buds

Edit: wait you only get them with the + and ultra it seems? Well that's trash. I dont actually wont a phone that big and dont want to pay £7 more a month. I was only planning to upgrade so my wife could have the old buds

Last edited:

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
Do you definitely get the new buds if using the upgrade lounge? I was just looking at possibly ordering mine (that's gonna hurt the wallet this month) and at the checkout it only lists the phone and upgrade plan but no new buds

what model are you looking at? the buds are only for the + and Ultra

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what model are you looking at? the buds are only for the + and Ultra

I was planning on getting the base S20. But tbh I was only getting it to give my wife my other buds. I dont really feel like the phone is different enough to my S10 to justify it without them and wasnt planning on paying the extra per month for a + since its gonna be £30 a month coming from a base S10 too.

Really gonna need to think about whether I want this phone now. I'm thinking I'll just ride this one out perhaps and upgrade next year. Sucks though. Last year all flagships came with them so the base model doesnt even feel flagship to me being excluded from it.

Shlice

Nov 6, 2017
I was planning on getting the base S20. But tbh I was only getting it to give my wife my other buds. I dont really feel like the phone is different enough to my S10 to justify it without them and wasnt planning on paying the extra per month for a + since its gonna be £30 a month coming from a base S10 too.

Really gonna need to think about whether I want this phone now. I'm thinking I'll just ride this one out perhaps and upgrade next year. Sucks though. Last year all flagships came with them so the base model doesnt even feel flagship to me being excluded from it.

Going through Samsung website you get $100 credit. You can use that to buy the buds.

Oct 26, 2017
Except that the cheapest Galaxy S20 at $999 is barely even a fair fight vs the most expensive iPhone 11 (the pro max) which cost a minimum of $1250 unless you're happy with a $1000+ phone with 64gb of storage.

The still extremely premium S10+ at what is a price point of $800 directly competes with the 11 pro max, $400 cheaper and will likely still stack up very well vs the non pro iPhone 12 for what will be a lot less money by that time. The iPhone 11 non premium phone still goes for $650. Or $750 if you want more than 64gb of storage.

If you're talking value vs iphones, it's still there in droves if you're looking for it.

Except average people don't look at phones that way. They generally look at the price tag and go "oh, x is cheaper than y", even if the S10+ went down in price, you don't always see people flocking to them due to wanting the newer model (case in point, XR vs. iPhone 11 - even if it's nearly identical in build, people flocked to the 11 because of the perception of being a base model vs. perception of being last year's model/budget version).

It's still a pretty big ask to go from under 1000 to basically 1000 as the baseline, and then paying more depending on what extra features they want. The enthusiasts will buy the highest possible configurations of the S20 no matter what, but the idea of paying more for phones is something we've seen people resist (it's why Apple cut the price of the 11 in the first place, this just seems like a more extreme variant of the premium pricing that iPhone X, XS, and XS Max got in 2017).

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
nice, do you know if z fold demo units are out there?

I know my best buy just got a fold in a box that you can ask to play with like a month or 2 ago.

Personally havent seen one, but its releasing sooner than the S20 line, so some places may have one. Funnily enough we dont seem to have reserved a spot to put one up, so I'm not sure where it's going to go.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me where you see the store credit with the S20 on the US deals? I'm trying to find if we have something comparable in the UK but all I see mentioned is buds with the + and up.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like places in the UK aren't getting demo units before launch. Went into a few carrier stores today and all of them said they wouldn't have any until 13th March.

I'd guess the official Samsung stores might have demo units earlier than that but nowhere else by the looks of things.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody seriously considering the Ultra? If I were to upgrade it would only make sense to go big for the Ultra, but that price is bananas.