• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait for the reviews and especially the camera verdict! Hope they are starting to come in soon!
I want more versatility camera wise than my pixel 2XL gives me but I looove the quality of the pictures that I get with my pixel.
I was considering using the Gcam app on a samsung S20+ but it seems there are some issues with the exynos chipset that I would get here in Europe.
Especially astrophotography and nightsight are things that I would also like to have available on the S20, if I get it.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I'm debating between the S20+ and the Ultra.

If Samsung send me a £50 off voucher like last year I think I'll go for the Ultra.

Oct 27, 2017
I had my heart set on the Ultra, but I think TMobile's JOD prices are going to keep me from grabbing one. Hopefully the s20+ down payment is semi-low and then maybe I can jump to the Ultra in a few months...?

Oct 25, 2017
i just dont feel like the s20/+ offer that much for the hefty price. Might as well get a used s10/note 10 or some other brand phone if you want the high refresh rate.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
So some advice, have an S8 - doesnt hold charge like it used to, but I like it for my drone screen. Samsung S20 with trade in will cost me €679. Is it best to shop around the various EU amazons about two months after launch for any discounts, or is that above trade in as good as I will get.

Oct 25, 2017
I have 20/20 with glasses and I definitely could tell the difference when I go down to 1080p on my note 10+. The way the font renders is blurry somewhat. Definitely worse than my pixel 3a xl which is 'native' 1080p.

Not gamechanging and if I did get a s20, I'd still with the high refresh mode... but idk.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
www.gsmarena.com

Samsung to enable 120Hz at QHD+ resolution for Galaxy S20 series

The new Dynamic screen option will automatically switch between 60 and 120Hz depending on several use cases. One of the coolest bits about the new Samsung...

Hopefully that's true and not that a dynamic option is coming for just FHD+. I can't imagine how fast these things will chew through battery though with 120Hz QHD+ and the 5G modem. I imagine that'll be a major complaint, even with the larger batteries.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Finger's crossed on that dynamic option being real. My Razer Phone 2 crapped out on me over the weekend, so I snagged a Pixel 4 and plan on trading it in for a S20 Plus.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Went to see them in stores and I was like nope. I think they regressed in design. S10 series looks better to me and I'm one of those that likes how things look, performance and stuff is icing. I went ahead and straight up bought a Note 10 plus instead.

Rumor is the Fold 2 is going to be lights out with in screen camera and everything. I might jump towards that when it comes out in July supposedly.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Got the Z flip in store today. Damn that thing looks like its gonna get damaged just by looking at it. Also, the screen feels nothing like glass, so I'm not sure why they even attempted to pass that off.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Looks like places in the UK aren't getting demo units before launch. Went into a few carrier stores today and all of them said they wouldn't have any until 13th March.

I'd guess the official Samsung stores might have demo units earlier than that but nowhere else by the looks of things.
Went to EE in Milton Keynes and they had the S20, S20+ but just a dummy unit for the Ultra (not entirely surprising, I'm guessing far fewer will be produced and they would be theft magnets due to the value).

Having played with the S20+ I'm definitely happy with my pre-order, the 120Hz is very impressive and the general touch responsiveness seems like a step up from my OnePlus 6. Unfortunately the unit couldn't be moved so I couldn't test the rear cameras.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the Z flip in store today. Damn that thing looks like its gonna get damaged just by looking at it. Also, the screen feels nothing like glass, so I'm not sure why they even attempted to pass that off.
It does actually have a super thin glass panel, but also has a top layer of softer polymer to take the every day wear and tear since even modest scratches in a material only microns thick is a very bad thing especially if you intend to repeatedly bend it to its tensile limits.

Just think of it as a glass screen phone with a plastic screen protector.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Ordered the Ultra, and just received my new set of headphones I bought to go with it. Just need to get a case and a MicroSD card.

bigosc

Oct 27, 2017
Tmobile is going to offer $500 for my s9, I'm going to take since it's the best I'm going to get.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Been waiting over a year for watch 2 and.. still nothing. Is there any rumors about one? Is active the only line they plan to continue?

I'm probably gonna allocate my watch 2 fund to buds +, or go for jabras versions, at this point.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Went to EE in Milton Keynes and they had the S20, S20+ but just a dummy unit for the Ultra (not entirely surprising, I'm guessing far fewer will be produced and they would be theft magnets due to the value).

Having played with the S20+ I'm definitely happy with my pre-order, the 120Hz is very impressive and the general touch responsiveness seems like a step up from my OnePlus 6. Unfortunately the unit couldn't be moved so I couldn't test the rear cameras.
Huh, every store I went to in Middlesbrough said they weren't getting any.

But that might just be Middlesbrough because, well, it's Middlesbrough.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
It does actually have a super thin glass panel, but also has a top layer of softer polymer to take the every day wear and tear since even modest scratches in a material only microns thick is a very bad thing especially if you intend to repeatedly bend it to its tensile limits.

Just think of it as a glass screen phone with a plastic screen protector.

Oooh. Well that explains it. I give it a week before kids destroy our demo.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
So preorders go on sale tonight, but I've never pre-ordered before. I did "reserve", but I don't know if I should take that at face value or not.

So is this something I should stay up for? Or can I safely go to sleep?

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So preorders go on sale tonight, but I've never pre-ordered before. I did "reserve", but I don't know if I should take that at face value or not.

So is this something I should stay up for? Or can I safely go to sleep?
It's not like it's gonna sell out so I wouldn't worry about it

Oct 25, 2017
SmartSelect_20200220-214005_Gmail.jpg

neat.

As always doing the prepreorder stuff has its perks.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they gave you less than me. I got $235 reserving day 1 before the event

im 90% sure I did too, but I never saw that credit. Samsung.com stuff has always been wonky for me over the years.

Still not sure i'm gonna order one.

Played with the 3 at best buy and i'm not a fan of how narrow and tall they are. Ultra is more narrow than my note 10+ but taller, and is top heavy.

hmmm

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im 90% sure I did too, but I never saw that credit. Samsung.com stuff has always been wonky for me over the years.

Still not sure i'm gonna order one.

Played with the 3 at best buy and i'm not a fan of how narrow and tall they are. Ultra is more narrow than my note 10+ but taller, and is top heavy.

hmmm
I think it's really hard to justify the Ultra vs normal s20 at $400 less. They will give me $700 for my note 10+ though. Saw some videos and the Ultra looks gargantuan. They are basically giving you a tablet now lol

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's really hard to justify the Ultra vs normal s20 at $400 less. They will give me $700 for my note 10+ though. Saw some videos and the Ultra looks gargantuan. They are basically giving you a tablet now lol

it's basically the same area as the note 10+. Slightly taller, but slightly thinner. noticeably heavier though. Basically the weight of a 11 pro max. Also holding the device is weird for a phone because of how large the camera island is... my back fingers often run into it.

Gotta 'hold it properly'.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's basically the same area as the note 10+. Slightly taller, but slightly thinner. noticeably heavier though. Basically the weight of a 11 pro max. Also holding the device is weird for a phone because of how large the camera island is... my back fingers often run into it.

Gotta 'hold it properly'.
Think I would definitely pass on the Ultra and just get the normal s20 for form factor if I get one. I'm not sold yet even with the trade in specials

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to get the S20 Ultra since its a $10 difference on a plan but I haven't seen anything yet that makes the camera more worth it than the regular s20+. 100x zoom is a cool gimmick but in practice it doesn't look that great. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Oct 25, 2017
Think I would definitely pass on the Ultra and just get the normal s20 for form factor if I get one. I'm not sold yet even with the trade in specials

Yeah... something about this year's phones feel real 'first gen'... Like I'm 70% sure the little complaints will be addressed by the note 20 line in the summer ie: qhd 120hz. 2nd gen fp sensor.

Not like there won't be trade in specials for those too.

BoboBrazil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... something about this year's phones feel real 'first gen'... Like I'm 70% sure the little complaints will be addressed by the note 20 line in the summer ie: qhd 120hz. 2nd gen fp sensor.

Not like there won't be trade in specials for those too.
Yeah, last year's fingerprint sensor is the worst. Supposedly a firmware update will enable 120hz at 1440p so that should be fixed. Pricing is just insane this year, so now they are still expensive even after trading in high end phones like the Note 10+ lol. Plus OnePlus 8 Pro should be coming in a couple of months at probably half the cost lol

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, last year's fingerprint sensor is the worst. Supposedly a firmware update will enable 120hz at 1440p so that should be fixed. Pricing is just insane this year, so now they are still expensive even after trading in high end phones like the Note 10+ lol. Plus OnePlus 8 Pro should be coming in a couple of months at probably half the cost lol

yep feel like im getting priced out of this hobby of upgrading a few times a year... which might be for the better. Seems like reviewers got devices today, so I'm definitely curious how that 108mp sensor handles really wacky lighting situations. Same with the zoom.