• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
samsung-gaming-hub-landing-page-cannot-be-published-in-stories-posting-after-jan-15.jpg

Dubbed the gaming hub, it's a dedicated section of Samsung's new smart TV menu system launching later this year on select Samsung 2022 smart TVs. The full cloud gaming libraries of Google Stadia, Nvidia GeForce Now and Utomik will be available at launch "with more to follow," according to Samsung's press release. Users will be able to pair third-party controllers to the TV for instant play, no console or other hardware required. The hub will also allow access to YouTube gaming to follow streamers.

Samsung's gaming hub also includes buttons that allow quick access to any attached consoles, and Samsung is adding a few new gaming-specific extras to its new TVs. There's a new version of the game bar first introduced last year, with more information available on things like refresh rate or VRR mode. There's also a zoom mode that can expand things like mini-maps and even the ability to pull up a YouTube video alongside a game -- a boon if you get stuck and need a tutorial.
www.cnet.com

Samsung gaming hub adds Google Stadia, Nvidia GeForce Now to TVs at CES 2022

Launching later this year on select Samsung 2022 TV models, it's billed as a one-stop shop for cloud and console games.

Intriguingly, the company says that your HDMI-connected video game consoles will be part of it as well — complete with passthrough controller inputs. That means you might be able to play cloud games and console games with the same controller, instead of having to maintain separate controllers or pair back and forth, with both PlayStation and Xbox controllers supported at launch. It's also promising "AI Gaming technology" that will create curated game recommendations on your TV's home screen.
www.theverge.com

Samsung’s new 2022 TVs bring Nvidia GeForce Now and Google Stadia gaming

No promises if you’ve got an older TV

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung get mad at Microsoft? No Gamepass streaming. They could be mad at Microsoft for embracing Dolby Vision. Great for me though, as my C7 HDR gaming output wasnt great. Now it is decent by being able to use Dolby Vision for gaming.

Also, first time I've heard of Utomik.

All this but they're still not supporting DV? Then it's a no from me.

Samsung is going to be bringing out hdr10+ gaming, instead of supporting Dolby Vision gaming or HGiG.

www.pocket-lint.com

Samsung HDR10+ Gaming coming 2022 to take on Dolby Vision Gaming

Samsung's top tier high dynamic range format, HDR10+, will be getting a Gaming extension in 2022, adding variable refresh (VRR) and auto calibration.

Why? Because it's Samsung, and they always have to be doing their own thing.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Does LG have gamepass cloud gaming? I have a C1 and I know about stadia.
Not sure. I'm still on my C7 (which is like 3-4 years older than your tv, despite the higher number) , trying to hold out as long as I can now. Microsoft embracing Dolby Vision for gaming has allowed my to hold off from upgrading my TV. Since it helped fix the one aspect of my tv that was bad: HDR gaming

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Samsung get mad at Microsoft? No Gamepass streaming.
As far as I know, Xbox Game Pass is not on any TV, and last time Microsoft mentioned it, they said they were working with TV manufacturers, but nothing has happened since. Really doubt this is Samsung not willing to work with them, because according to Verge, Samsung is cooperating with Microsoft on streaming, and Xbox Game Pass is prominently featured on Samsung's Galaxy phones
www.theverge.com

Microsoft and Samsung partner on Xbox cloud-based game streaming

Samsung’s future phones might have xCloud game streaming built-in
www.theverge.com

Microsoft announces Xbox TV app and its own xCloud streaming stick

No pricing or release date on the Xbox streaming stick yet.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
xCloud app still nowhere to be seen. Hoped to get some info t the end of last year.

Meanwhile, GFN and Stadia finally make the right moves. PS Now also doing nothing even though they even used to have TV apps 🤦

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Interesting. Tizen has by far the largest TV OS marketshare at around 13 percent. Next closest is LG with around 7.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
are they going to make a user choose which service to stream a game from if they have subs to multiple services that have the same games?

what a UX nightmare

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
It wouldn't surprise me to see GeForce and Stadia on a lot more devices this year. It will certainly break down a lot of barriers.

But man, what is going on with Xbox getting TV apps out there? I'm so surprised it's taking this long.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
PlayStation Now used to be part of past Samsung TVs but Sony decided to remove them and only keep them on PS4/5 and PCs.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
GeForce Now needs to sort out their login caching issues for Steam if they want this to be remotely usable on a TV for general audiences. They announced account linking last year, but so far they've only enabled it for Fortnite (not even general EGS) and Ubisoft. It's just not a good user experience to have to enter your complex Steam password and 2FA code every single time you want to start a session (unless you luck out and happen to hit a VM on the same pool as a prior login)

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
GeForce Now needs to sort out their login caching issues for Steam if they want this to be remotely usable on a TV for general audiences. They announced account linking last year, but so far they've only enabled it for Fortnite (not even general EGS) and Ubisoft. It's just not a good user experience to have to enter your complex Steam password and 2FA code every single time you want to start a session (unless you luck out and happen to hit a VM on the same pool as a prior login)
Yeah, that's the biggest knock I have with Geforce Now. The user experience is a bit rough and inconsistent. That's one of the things Stadia has mostly nailed down (give me an auto-login Google). With every game on Stadia it's open app -> log-in -> launch game. For Geforce Now it can vary and, for example, for Crysis 2 Remastered I have to open app -> launch game -> enable mouse mode on my controller so I can click the "Update Available" Epic prompt -> disable mouse mode -> wait 15 seconds for GFN servers to download the update -> wait another 15 seconds for GFN servers to install the update -> wait for Epic Launcher to start the game.

onesvenus

May 27, 2018
Microsoft really dropping the ball there.
If people start seeing Stadia installed on their new TVs they are much more likely to buy into streaming via something other than Gamepass.
I don't know what's taking them so long

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Microsoft really dropping the ball there.
If people start seeing Stadia installed on their new TVs they are much more likely to buy into streaming via something other than Gamepass.
I don't know what's taking them so long
The problem (I have) with Stadia is that the games are only playable there. I know that sounds obvious, but the benefits to services like Game Pass (xCloud) or even PlayStation Now (or whatever the rumored model is) is that you can play via streaming or locally on a supported device. While the streaming tech in Stadia might be superior, being locked into streaming only on a Stadia supported device is a non-starter for me.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
The problem (I have) with Stadia is that the games are only playable there. I know that sounds obvious, but the benefits to services like Game Pass (xCloud) or even PlayStation Now (or whatever the rumored model is) is that you can play via streaming or locally on a supported device. While the streaming tech in Stadia might be superior, being locked into streaming only on a Stadia supported device is a non-starter for me.
The good thing though is at this point Stadia is pretty much supported on a ton of devices. Anything that can run Chrome/Safari can run Stadia (Chromebooks, tablets, iOS, etc) and on TV they have/will have native app support on Android/Google TV, webOS (LG), and Tizen (Samsung). If you own a relatively recent mobile device then it's almost guaranteed to be a Stadia supported device and in the next year or two hopefully every new TV from the big two (Samsung and LG) will have support for native Stadia apps along with the other TV platforms it currently or will support. It won't be a question of if you own a Stadia supported device but really just how many Stadia supported devices you own (basically any screen).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will mean TVs will start having gigabit ethernet, or if you'll still need to use wifi or usb ethernet just to get faster network connections.

Soundchaser

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Samsung made an actual gaming console. They could be a tremendous fourth player if they wanted to.

Apr 21, 2018
Xbox is missing the boat in a major way, I don't understand what's taking so long.

Is the TV app available in 4K in a device other than Shield TV currently?
The problem with Xcloud is for now the sub, with Stadia and GFN there are already free to play games playable on LG, Samsung TVs without spending a buck.(ok maybe for a controller if you don't own a dual shock)

That said Stadia also missed the boat in Latam (Xcloud and GFN are already in the place) and GFN didn't make it on TCL TVs(Stadia is available on them).

In this race, i would say only Luna is very late... (only in America, no massive adoption like GFN or Xcloud, no strong community like Stadia)
Let's see how they perform when it will be tied to Prime service...

anf

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, USA
Xbox is missing the boat in a major way, I don't understand what's taking so long.

Is the TV app available in 4K in a device other than Shield TV currently?

They seem focused on Android phones and their own future HDMI stick.
The Android app they have currently works on Google TV / Android TV devices but pretty poorly, regular freezes, laggy interface, etc..
They did add a shortcut and a custom icon for Google TV so it's coming.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Xbox should really add 4K to cloud streaming and get it ready for big screens pronto. This was the dream sold by a lot of cloud gaming providers, just have an app on your TV that can play games at console quality with no hardware.

Apr 21, 2018
I wouldn't worry for Microsoft, they are doing fine with Xbox, fine with Xcloud...

What about Sony ? Is PS Now available on Sony TVs ? (genuine question > not troll. I rezlly don't know)

Apr 21, 2018
Random logins is not the only issue with GFN on Samsung TVs.
(for mass audience i keep thinking logins is worse than limited resolution... most people just want simple click and play. Even Stadia is not there yet)

Apr 21, 2018
Cloud gaming is a slow burn.

Gaming hub (with Stadia and GFN) has been delayed and will first be available on selected TVs, selected countries...
www.androidcentral.com

Samsung confirms that the Gaming Hub launch schedule has not changed

Samsung's Gaming Hub will be released as planned

Less people than expected will have easy access to cloud gaming but they'll have a better experience as Fiber is expanding, more data centers are popping near their houses and new codecs are coming soon with less blurry results.

unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

AV1 will be available soon on Stadia...
(thanks to Alucardx23 for this find)