• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, I keep having problems with mine. Can't turn on the tv sometimes, can;t turn it off or change volume... Super fucking annoying.

I found that unplugging the TV and waiting a few moments before plugging it back in fixed any remote issues I had.

Wish there was a better remote we could use with this set that isn't a Harmony remote.
You dont need to do that, easier to just open the back cover of the remote, take one battery out and put it back in, it will turn on afterward. Been a FW bug since the begining.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
damn, I thought i was the only one with the remote turn ON not working 100% of the time (I use the battery out trick to make it work). That's really a FW bug that they never corrected ???

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
damn, I thought i was the only one with the remote turn ON nto working 100% of the time (I use the battery out trick to make it work). That's really a FW bug that they never corrected ???

Lol. I thought I was alone for a while too, but no.
It was really common for me at one point but recently it's been mostly ok. I find that turning the tv off without leaving it to idle or turning it off on its own makes it happen a lot less. But maybe it's just coincidence.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since we're all sharing things about owning this TV, I figure I'll just drop in this quick tip for those who might not know.

If for any reason you want to really hard reboot the tv if something isn't acting right, hold the power button on the remote until you see the Samsung logo pop up.

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao I been doing the back cover, one battery removal combo for seemingly months now too. It's just that recently it hasn't been working and now I have to press the power button extra hard at weird angles to even get this shit on and off.

I forked over $90 to get a roku ultra so I wouldn't have to deal with this TV's remote and janky OS. It sucks considering how much I paid for this TV, but at least it's a smooth experience now
Hmm, I never looked into the Roku stuff but that remote can turn the TV on and off? Or just navigate menus

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez I thought the remote trouble was just me. Hah. But anyway I have another problem that I just cannot fix no matter what I try. I have a Chromecast Ultra and the TV just does not display anything. Tried every hdmi and it sometimes recognizes that something is plugged in and even names it Chromecast sometimes but nothing ever shows up on the display at all. The Chromecast itself works on other tvs/monitors I tried, and every input on the tv works with other devices I tried. Really have no idea what to do.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ha, yup. This has been my solution sine the beginning. Only happens about once a month.
Yeah, it happens maybe once every two weeks or so to me. Another quirk of owning this tv lol. Its become like that good ol' car you've had in the family for years and you know the in's and outs of it lol.

Since we're all sharing things about owning this TV, I figure I'll just drop in this quick tip for those who might not know.

If for any reason you want to really hard reboot the tv if something isn't acting right, hold the power button on the remote until you see the TV startup screen pop up.

I did not know that though lol. Thanks :-) Only had to do this once... I have a sound system connected directly via PS4-Surround sound via Optical cable and I have my Cable box working with the Bluetooth soundbar, and weirdly one day... the cable box just stopped working with the soundbar. Had to hard reset.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
damn, I thought i was the only one with the remote turn ON not working 100% of the time (I use the battery out trick to make it work). That's really a FW bug that they never corrected ???

well, actually now I'm just waiting like 3-5 seconds and try turning it on again and it works. Before that I removed the cover and removed one battery as well.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I always just use my cable box remote to turn on the TV and I've never had a problem turning it on, ever. I almost never use the TV remote for anything except there are few apps that require the back button which my Cable remote has but it isn't mapped right or something. But for Youtube and Netflix (99% of what I watch streaming) the generic cable remote works fine.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't even like the remote. It's small and annoying to use and would prefer a more traditional remote with the normal amount of buttons.

jaffaro

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Don' t know if it's the newest update issue (1230), but I don't have an option "Add to home" for USB flash drive input, and I have to go through inputs sub-menu everytime I want to open it. Anyone has the same issue? Other inputs have this option.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Don' t know if it's the newest update issue (1230), but I don't have an option "Add to home" for USB flash drive input, and I have to go through inputs sub-menu everytime I want to open it. Anyone has the same issue? Other inputs have this option.
That's annoying.

I have add to home on my nvidia shield, but since the update every time I turn the TV back on it's disappeared.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously the remote issue is never getting fixed if it's not fixed by now, but it's ultimately a pretty small problem. Once a month or so I have to open that battery compartment and it's solved in seconds.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit I have this issue too... My universal remote usually works when the Samsung remote doesn't though.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Sooooo, the remote issue is a firmware bug. Seriously?

I think that's just an assumption. As I and others have pointed out, a universal remote doesn't seem to have these problems. So is it the TV or the remote? OR some kind of pairing issue with both? Does the Samsung remote use IR?

Once a month or so I have to open that battery compartment and it's solved in seconds.

So from this post, it would seem that the included remote itself may have some flaw and there's probably no way to "patch" the remote.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I have turned off every damn eco setting on this damn television and it's still dimming... wtf. Especially using PS4 Netflix. I just jumped over to the browser to post this and I'm watching the screen "pulse" from dim to bright and back. Like every 20 - 30 seconds it dims and then comes back when I scroll the page.

It's infuriating. Well, not quite... but still really damn annoying.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that finds any game in HDR to look washed out?

Contract 95
Brightness 50
Dynamic Contrast Low

Also, still getting the flickering issue and then picture mode appears to change briefly?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Contract 95
Brightness 50
Dynamic Contrast Low

Also, still getting the flickering issue and then picture mode appears to change briefly?

I've started leaving my contrast at 100 and accepting 1000nits values for games.
I only ever turn dynamic contrast on if the game is not behaving correctly

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I have turned off every damn eco setting on this damn television and it's still dimming.

What picture mode are you using? (Movie, Game, etc.) Some are worse than others with the backlight "pulsing".

Is this in HDR or SDR mode?

What is your Smart LED setting? If you have it turned off the entire screen will dim instead of just individual sections.

Contract 95
Brightness 50
Dynamic Contrast Low

Every set is different but to me that brightness is pretty high, which would cause your blacks to look like a really dark gray and less "inky" which will ruin contrast. Here are my HDR game mode settings for comparison:

HDR Game Mode
Backlight - 20
Brightness - 43
Contrast - 100
Sharpness - 15
Color - 51
Tint G50/R50
Digital Clean View - Off
Smart LED - High
Film Mode - Off
HDMI Black Level - Low (Not used for HDR)
Dynamic Contrast - Low (I consider DC Low a necessary evil for most HDR games. Some don't need it but a lot of them just look too dim without it. Any higher than Low is crushing detail)
Color Tone - Warm 2
Gamma - 0
White Balance - 2-Point - Defaults (All 0s)
Color Space - Auto

Last edited:

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Jeez I thought the remote trouble was just me. Hah. But anyway I have another problem that I just cannot fix no matter what I try. I have a Chromecast Ultra and the TV just does not display anything. Tried every hdmi and it sometimes recognizes that something is plugged in and even names it Chromecast sometimes but nothing ever shows up on the display at all. The Chromecast itself works on other tvs/monitors I tried, and every input on the tv works with other devices I tried. Really have no idea what to do.

Chromecast Ultra works fine for me. I got it because I got tired of the jamming and crashing apps in the Samsung OS.

I also have that stupid Samsung remote issue where you have to remove a battery and plug it all back together for it to work sometimes.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dynamic Contrast - Low (I consider DC Low a necessary evil for most HDR games. Some don't need it but a lot of them just look too dim without it. Any higher than Low is crushing detail)
Even low is most definitely crushing details.

The KS8000 is usually a very accurate TV out of the box. Rtings.com rated it one of the most accurate ever out of the box. So in my case the default movie settings are very good, and even game mode is quite good as is, albeit with the sharpness being cut down to 0.

Do you know what panel type you have? It should be on the back of the TV. I have an S model which is Samsung's panel. I do know at least one other variation exists. Maybe that explains all this washed out HDR talk, because with my S panel I've never seen anything like that, and I wouldn't even consider using dynamic contrast because it looks just right as is.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Even low is most definitely crushing details.

Yes but the crush is very minor compared to the other two settings and it greatly helps with the games where standard HDR is dim-looking such as Hot Shots Golf PS4. As I stated, I consider DC evil, but in this case a necessary one with my panel and well-lit room.

Do you know what panel type you have? It should be on the back of the TV. I have an S model which is Samsung's panel. I do know at least one other variation exists. Maybe that explains all this washed out HDR talk, because with my S panel I've never seen anything like that

I have the AA02 panel from AU Optronics and I've never had a problem with washed-out HDR either. With some games it's slightly dimmer than I'd like with DC off but overall I'm very pleased with the picture, contrast, and color. Ultimately, this was a very popular set and there are variances over time even from the same panel manufacturer. In addition, some settings DO change over time with firmware updates. That's why users should do their own calibrations with a test disc instead of just copying somebody else's settings off the Internet.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I don't get the wash-out either. The Dynamic Contrast can help when things are too dark to be playable, but overall it's an excellent experience.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think a lot of the washed out commets come from people who have the backlight on max for SDR, then when it drops back for the HDR content, it looks dim.

Baro08

Feb 26, 2018

Contract 95
Brightness 50
Dynamic Contrast Low

Brightness at 50 is way too much.. 45 should be the max value. I have it at 38 for HDR. Contrast at 95 is ok. DC off for pretty much every game.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of the washed out commets come from people who have the backlight on max for SDR, then when it drops back for the HDR content, it looks dim.
Is this a thing people actually do?

Backlight on 20 for SDR is absolutely insane on my set. Like even on the brightest afternoon it's crazy. At night, LOL.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Depending on the game mess a little with the brightness 35-45 is a good target, contrast 95-100, and dynamic contrast either off or low.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of washed out HDR, Black Ops 4's implementation seems to be either really bad or just outright bugged. Dropped the in-game brightness slider to the lowest setting and it's still not right.

I'm guessing everyone else is in the same boat on this one? Saw the same complaints in the game's OT.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
On the subject of washed out HDR, Black Ops 4's implementation seems to be either really bad or just outright bugged. Dropped the in-game brightness slider to the lowest setting and it's still not right.

I'm guessing everyone else is in the same boat on this one? Saw the same complaints in the game's OT.

The slider doesn't do anything, I think the game is a little brighter than it needs to be in HDR. I'm not sure if it's been patched, as I don't think it's as bad

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You shouldn't akeays trust those sliders in game. More than a few times I've noticed the slider and example being completely off. I believe the default settings looked perfect.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so guys. I usually game with dynamic contrast on as I liked the pop. first time in a long time I tried gaming with it off. man shadow of the Tomb raider looks so good with it off specially in dark scenes. daytime is definitely not as vibrant. are there any settings you play with to make daytime look more vibrant? God of war am also looks fun with dynamic contrast off

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
so guys. I usually game with dynamic contrast on as I liked the pop. first time in a long time I tried gaming with it off. man shadow of the Tomb raider looks so good with it off specially in dark scenes. daytime is definitely not as vibrant. are there any settings you play with to make daytime look more vibrant? God of war am also looks fun with dynamic contrast off

You could try turning gamma up.

Deleted member 11943

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You shouldn't akeays trust those sliders in game. More than a few times I've noticed the slider and example being completely off. I believe the default settings looked perfect.

Agreed. I haven't detected a problem. The beta seemed a bit bright. My TV was lifted about a food higher since, I like the image a bit better

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, Red Dead Redemption 2, whats the HDR settings you select at the start of the game?
I went with 300, despite them saying "we recommend 100 for LCD " or whatever.
300 Just seems right to me. On PS4 Pro btw. with Dynamic Contrast on.

Last edited: