• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guys, Red Dead Redemption 2, whats the HDR settings you select at the start of the game?
I went with 300, despite them saying "we recommend 100 for LCD " or whatever.
300 Just seems right to me. On PS4 Pro btw. with Dynamic Contrast on.

on xbx hdr looks considerably worse than sdr. hdr looks really washed out. for my ks8000 I was at 200 minimum when using hdr

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im using the default 100 and it seems ok? I Will not bother to Change now because if i do i know that i Will spend more time changing settings than playing the game.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im using the default 100 and it seems ok? I Will not bother to Change now because if i do i know that i Will spend more time changing settings than playing the game.

try turning HDR off in the Xbox settings once. 100 was definitely too dark and washed out for daytime unless you have dynamic contrast on.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
try turning HDR off in the Xbox settings once. 100 was definitely too dark and washed out for daytime unless you have dynamic contrast on.

Didnt try hrd off yet and Im not using dynamic contrast.

The thing is that for me the image seems fine with default settings that Im afraid to try other settings and then not BE able to BE happy with any. I know, paranoias from my head.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didnt try hrd off yet and Im not using dynamic contrast.

The thing is that for me the image seems fine with default settings that Im afraid to try other settings and then not BE able to BE happy with any. I know, paranoias from my head.

I want you to try it because you sound exactly like me lol. it's so much better in sdr....but I keep trying to get her to look right

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
on xbx hdr looks considerably worse than sdr. hdr looks really washed out. for my ks8000 I was at 200 minimum when using hdr
Looking pretty washed out for me too... saw others say the same in the Digital Foundry thread.. I think R* messed up implementation of HDR here..., right now, I have color on 53 to try and negate the washed out look.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looking pretty washed out for me too... saw others say the same in the Digital Foundry thread.. I think R* messed up implementation of HDR here..., right now, I have color on 53 to try and negate the washed out look.

actually here is the thing. I was turning HDR on and of in Xbox settings without rebooting the game. this made the hdr look even worse when I turned it on again I think.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I'll share my HDR settings for the KS8000 for RDR2. I have found that what setting you pick in the calibration slider on RDR can make a really big difference, or else its just going to look bad.
HDR slider at 170 for both X and PS4 Pro, both looks great and better than SDR. The slider at 100,150,300, and even 160 looked worse than HDR off.
TV settings
Backlight 20
Brightness 40
Contrast 95
sharpness 20
Color 50
Tint G50/R50
Smart LED High
Dynamic Contrast off
Color Tone Warm 2
Gamma 0
Color Space Auto

hqqttjiang

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
In China this model is KS7300, could i use other type fireware to update?(China is still 1151 and may forever!)

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good 3rd party remote replacement ? I know I saw one linked here before. Mines starting to get really wore out with the constant switching hdmi inputs.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if anyone noticed this (or posted already) but it seems like after the last fw update, my hdmi inputs that I have renamed doesn't revert back to default anymore, which was very annoying all this time...

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I don't know if anyone noticed this (or posted already) but it seems like after the last fw update, my hdmi inputs that I have renamed doesn't revert back to default anymore, which was very annoying all this time...
Nice! I guess that means I can turn on HDMI auto-switching again. I just have to remember that secret code I needed to turn it off.

Is that an automatic update? What version #?

Oct 26, 2017
I have the KS8000 and have noticed in the top right section of the screen some patches of discoloration. Against blue backgrounds, they are the most visible (noticed them against the daytime sky in RDR2), and appear as green smudges against this color. Is there anything to be done about these or is it most likely something that will require repair or replacement? This TV is just 2 years old for me and I'd rather not buy another just yet.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
Nice! I guess that means I can turn on HDMI auto-switching again. I just have to remember that secret code I needed to turn it off.

Is that an automatic update? What version #?

Yeah it was an automatic update. Current version is 1230. I'm not 100% sure yet if it indeed fix the problem or not but ever since updating it, my hdmi input names stayed the same. So fingers crossed I guess.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I have the KS8000 and have noticed in the top right section of the screen some patches of discoloration. Against blue backgrounds, they are the most visible (noticed them against the daytime sky in RDR2), and appear as green smudges against this color. Is there anything to be done about these or is it most likely something that will require repair or replacement? This TV is just 2 years old for me and I'd rather not buy another just yet.

Yeah me too I have a similar problem on the top right and bottom left. These two areas along the edge became more brighter than the rest of the screen which is annoying but I just live with it sigh. Don't want to buy another TV just because of this either.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

pandemonium

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad this thread is still active. Apparently the HDR in RDR2 is not real HDR according to some videos on YT. I just got my One X for this game. I hear Odyssey looks good as well.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I've gone back and forwarth with HDR on RDR2 on/off....settled on On (280 HDR Calibration) with highly customised settings:

Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 98
sharpness 8
Color 58
Tint G50/R50
Smart LED High
Dynamic Contrast Low
Color Tone Warm 1
Gamma 0
Color Space Auto

It can be a little grainy/washy...but I'm RPing it's a 35mm video or some shit, and that's working for my headspace.

I found off to be nice and poppy colour wise, but some the stuff was just too intense/gamey looking, and blacks were super crushed.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone figure out if it's possible to control this TV with Bixby on Samsung phones?

I got it all connected with smart things, you'd think it would just work...

Tonypark

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I used to play with dynamic contrast high and found Red dead redemption 2 really washed out.
Then i started Remothered in HDR. It is a dark game so the white/washed out filter was even worst but then... i turned off dynamic contrast... what a world of difference...
Is there a reason to use dynamic contrast at all?

D23

Oct 25, 2017
I used to play with dynamic contrast high and found Red dead redemption 2 really washed out.
Then i started Remothered in HDR. It is a dark game so the white/washed out filter was even worst but then... i turned off dynamic contrast... what a world of difference...
Is there a reason to use dynamic contrast at all?

Turn off HDR for rdr2

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Samsung KS8000/KS7000 OT
8dd225a575313e17180a9y9siz.jpg

Specifications

Screen sizes: 49" / 55" / 60" / 65" LCD QLED
Resolution: 3840x2160 (UHD) 16:9
HDR: HDR10
Backlight: Edge-lit
Dimming: Local Dimming
Refresh Rate: 120Hz
Response time: 21ms
Brightness: 1.200cd/m²
Contrast: 4:000:1
HDMI: 4x HDMI 2.0a
TV Tuner: Analogue, DVB-C, DVB-S2, DVB-T, DVB-T2, CI+ card slot
Audio: Digital (S/PDIF)
Speakers: Stereo 40W
Network: Ethernet 100Mbps / WiFi 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n

European version is called KS7000. US version is called KS8000.

---

This thread is for general discussion about this TV. While screen and color settings are very much personal, I suggest a good place to start is watching this video and trying these settings as a starting point and adjusting from that to your personal taste:

Edge Lit
Local Dimming?

no

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Does anyone know if using sharpening in the picture settings introduces any noticeable input lag? I can't really tell a difference and like to use a little bit with RDR2 on PS4 Pro but that doesn't mean it's not there. Typically sharpening filters should be quite fast but who knows since it's Samsung's shit software we are talking about.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if using sharpening in the picture settings introduces any noticeable input lag? I can't really tell a difference and like to use a little bit with RDR2 on PS4 Pro but that doesn't mean it's not there. Typically sharpening filters should be quite fast but who knows since it's Samsung's shit software we are talking about.

As far as I know it doesn't increase the input lag no. Max value should be 20 though to not make artifacts visible.

jaffaro

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Color banding on this TV is driving me crazy.

https://i.cubeupload.com/hzLmZE.png
I put this image on my old PC monitors and it looks just fine with no visual color grading, same for my old TV. But on this TV it looks just horrible, no matter what settings do I choose it's still bad. The same issue goes for almost every content I put on my old displays, compressed movies, Youtube videos, images, games. On this TV it just looks worse.
vjowNGE

Do you think that Samsung warranty will cover this? Could anyone of you folks take a picture of the image above on your TVs?
vjowNGE.jpg

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Do you think that Samsung warranty will cover this?

No, because I doubt this is a hardware problem with the TV. What are you using to display this image? Built-in App? PC? Console?

While the image is onscreen, bring up the settings and see what mode it's in, and what the Brightness, Backlight, and Gamma settings are and let us know. It's hard to tell from pictures but brightness looks way too high here. If I take your source image and look at it on my laptop screen it looks fine, but if I put it in Paint.net and bump up the brightness a little I get the same concentric circles of color banding in the dark areas.

I love my KS8000 but it does nothing to smooth out color gradient banding from compression. If you can't adjust the settings to hide the worst of it, you may want to sell your Samsung and get a Sony since they have extra picture processing to smooth out gradients. Not sure if that processing is turned off in game mode but just FYI.

jaffaro

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
I tested the image on USB stick(Movie Mode), built-in browser(Movie), and PC(Game Mode). On Movie mode my settings are pretty much the same what everyone recommends them to set to:

Backlight 5
Brightness 45
Contrast 87
Gamma: 0
Color tone: warm
Dynamic contrast: low

Game mode backlight is set to 7.

Lowering the brightness does help, at 35 banding on that image is rarely noticable, but the thing is that it also drastically reduces details at dark scenes. Even at 40, dark areas in movies tend to lose too much details, so I think 42-43 is really the lowest value I can use to keep the balance.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Color banding on this TV is driving me crazy.

https://i.cubeupload.com/hzLmZE.png
I put this image on my old PC monitors and it looks just fine with no visual color grading, same for my old TV. But on this TV it looks just horrible, no matter what settings do I choose it's still bad. The same issue goes for almost every content I put on my old displays, compressed movies, Youtube videos, images, games. On this TV it just looks worse.
vjowNGE

Do you think that Samsung warranty will cover this? Could anyone of you folks take a picture of the image above on your TVs?
vjowNGE.jpg
Bare in mind that Deus Ex doesn't have the best HDR and that logo wasn't made in 10bit.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I was on firmware 1230 and loving how everything was. I saw there was an update available 1231 and I thought better safe than sorry so I chose not to update. If it's not broke don't fix it, I was happy with my settings. I made sure auto update was off, and turned off the TV. Guess what, when I turned it back on, firmware 1231. Automatic update : off does LITERAL nothing. Considering an older firmware almost ruined my set and I had to key in that secret remote code to fix the issues I had, I'm quietly pissed. How do I ACTUALLY make automatic update OFF stop automatic updates from happening ? I can't believe this is a 4K HDR TV and they can't get automatic update : off to even work properly. Also I had Uncharted 4 on at the time and despite some people saying the TV now looks better, I preferred how it looked before this. I heard they further watered down the dynamic contrast but all my settings were tailored around how it was before and now it doesn't look as good. I didn't even want the update.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I was on firmware 1230 and loving how everything was. I saw there was an update available 1231 and I thought better safe than sorry so I chose not to update. If it's not broke don't fix it, I was happy with my settings. I made sure auto update was off, and turned off the TV. Guess what, when I turned it back on, firmware 1231. Automatic update : off does LITERAL nothing. Considering an older firmware almost ruined my set and I had to key in that secret remote code to fix the issues I had, I'm quietly pissed. How do I ACTUALLY make automatic update OFF stop automatic updates from happening ? I can't believe this is a 4K HDR TV and they can't get automatic update : off to even work properly. Also I had Uncharted 4 on at the time and despite some people saying the TV now looks better, I preferred how it looked before this. I heard they further watered down the dynamic contrast but all my settings were tailored around how it was before and now it doesn't look as good. I didn't even want the update.

I fixed this problem by not having my TV be connected to the internet.

Melubas

Jan 4, 2018
Question: When gaming in 4k on PC, do you use PC mode or Game mode? I read that PC mode allows for 4:4:4 chroma subsampling which will make it look a bit sharper, but the HDR is broken in PC mode. PC mode also adds like 15ms of input lag. I've been using Game mode exlusively but am considering switching.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Question: When gaming in 4k on PC, do you use PC mode or Game mode? I read that PC mode allows for 4:4:4 chroma subsampling which will make it look a bit sharper, but the HDR is broken in PC mode. PC mode also adds like 15ms of input lag. I've been using Game mode exlusively but am considering switching.

Game mode all the way.