• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Legjend

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me with the best audio settings? I have no idea what is best

I have my Vizio soundbar plugged into the Samsung breakout box via HDMI arc.

The settings on the TV I have set to Bitstream and Dolby Digital - audio delay is at 80

Xbox one x settings match this

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Update from:
Rudy1 ...

"HDR GAME MODE FIRMWARE PATCH:
The projected target date in November was not "missed"...it was officially postponed by the South Korean corporate offices, at the request of the executives who sign off on global OTN software distribution. Their stated concern was that the multitude of "patches" being distributed were causing unintended problems for "regular" users of the KS/KU series TVs. They instructed R&D to resolve ongoing issues before allocating any further resources to providing features that a "very small percentage" of users were requesting. Incidentally, the Q7s and Q9s received the firmware patch as scheduled, along with other fixes intended to resolve bugs in the OS. Per an email I received on December 19th from Yoon Sun Choi, a tentative date for the distribution of the HDR GAME MODE patch has not been finalized; R&D is currently working on prepping the 2018 lineup for launch, so I anticipate they'll get back to the KS/KU series and its many issues once they're done. Again, all of you who've been complaining about the "delay" need to realize this was not even on their "TO DO" list until I brought it to their attention. Gamers are not their intended global demographic for these sets, and South Korea only agreed to look into this because I was able to prove that their arch-rivals (LG) had updated their OLEDs specifically for this purpose. I've tested the patch on my Q9, and it does work...you do get to define discrete picture settings for SDR as well as HDR while in Game Mode...and once you do, the TV switches automatically depending on the input signal.
HDR10+ SUPPORT:
One of the executives from the NJ office called me last night to discuss several issues, including The Wall and the specifications of the 2018 lineup which will be made public at the pre-launch event in March. I asked him about South Korea's response to the uproar over the HDR10+ update promised for the 2016 TVs, and he agrees that it was/is being handled poorly by the corporate headquarters. The promises and statements in PR pieces are routinely made by individuals with little actual input from the R&D and software engineering teams; this invariably results in overstatements and unrealistic timelines being published. He does not foresee much change to this scenario as this is a global problem for the company, and changes to policy are difficult to achieve on such a large scale. So far, all I have heard from the R&D team is that the system architecture on the 2016 sets is so different from that on the 2017 sets that the promised firmware update may just not work. No one so far, however, has actually said it will NOT happen."

Gumbie

Oct 28, 2017
Lol sure Rudy.

QyZso.gif

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Update from:
Rudy1 ...

The projected target date in November was not "missed"...it was officially postponed by the South Korean corporate offices, at the request of the executives who sign off on global OTN software distribution. Their stated concern was that the multitude of "patches" being distributed were causing unintended problems for "regular" users of the KS/KU series TVs. They instructed R&D to resolve ongoing issues before allocating any further resources to providing features that a "very small percentage" of users were requesting. Incidentally, the Q7s and Q9s received the firmware patch as scheduled, along with other fixes intended to resolve bugs in the OS. Per an email I received on December 19th from Yoon Sun Choi, a tentative date for the distribution of the HDR GAME MODE patch has not been finalized; R&D is currently working on prepping the 2018 lineup for launch, so I anticipate they'll get back to the KS/KU series and its many issues once they're done. Again, all of you who've been complaining about the "delay" need to realize this was not even on their "TO DO" list until I brought it to their attention. Gamers are not their intended global demographic for these sets, and South Korea only agreed to look into this because I was able to prove that their arch-rivals (LG) had updated their OLEDs specifically for this purpose. I've tested the patch on my Q9, and it does work...you do get to define discrete picture settings for SDR as well as HDR while in Game Mode...and once you do, the TV switches automatically depending on the input signal.
HDR10+ SUPPORT:
One of the executives from the NJ office called me last night to discuss several issues, including The Wall and the specifications of the 2018 lineup which will be made public at the pre-launch event in March. I asked him about South Korea's response to the uproar over the HDR10+ update promised for the 2016 TVs, and he agrees that it was/is being handled poorly by the corporate headquarters. The promises and statements in PR pieces are routinely made by individuals with little actual input from the R&D and software engineering teams; this invariably results in overstatements and unrealistic timelines being published. He does not foresee much change to this scenario as this is a global problem for the company, and changes to policy are difficult to achieve on such a large scale. So far, all I have heard from the R&D team is that the system architecture on the 2016 sets is so different from that on the 2017 sets that the promised firmware update may just not work. No one so far, however, has actually said it will NOT happen."

Oh please, screw this guy with his mombo jumbo privileged information. I wanna see the receipts.

Ive given up on that fix and all of you should too

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah lie detector is going through the roof on this one.

Where is a screenshot of the email? And not only that, don't forget "I" brought it to their attention, so without me nothing would happen anyway so shut up and thanks to me Samsung knows LG was working on it. Yeah. And gaming is irrelevant to Samsung? Is that why there is a game mode on TV's and they recently partnered with Xbox?

This guy is talking shit.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update from:
Rudy1 ...

HDR10+ SUPPORT:

Yea I posted this yesterday, specifically the HDR game mode patch.

Deleted member 11943

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been trying to sort out the PS4 Pro YUV being better than Auto or RGB, whether or not that is fact or fiction because the signal at 12 bit RGB 4:2:2 needs to be mathed down to 4:2:0 and 10 bit blah blah blah...

. and all I see is RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!
giphy.gif

VincentMatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wrong. Rudy is the one we should be thanking. Frankly, how dare you question him?

He could be telling the truth but ultimately the real problem is that Samsung clearly dont care. This has been an issue since the fucking TV came out, and weve had multiple FW updates that did nothing but remove HDR banners and add "ads" on the fucking bottom menu bar. Samsung fucking sucks.

I kinda wish Apple did TVs so that they can push the TV software to go forward. TV software is such crap in general and no one is really pushing it forward.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He will no doubt try to take all the credits once Samsung does release an update anyway.

He could be telling the truth but ultimately the real problem is that Samsung clearly dont care. This has been an issue since the fucking TV came out, and weve had multiple FW updates that did nothing but remove HDR banners and add "ads" on the fucking bottom menu bar. Samsung fucking sucks.

I kinda wish Apple did TVs so that they can push the TV software to go forward. TV software is such crap in general and no one is really pushing it forward.

Apple would've made the TV slower by now though, lol.

VincentMatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He will no doubt try to take all the credits once Samsung does release an update anyway.

Apple would've made the TV slower by now though, lol.

Yes but it wasnt until apple started making smart phones that smart phones really started to improve. I mean any company that can do something like that, but for TV software.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, you're always better off just getting a Shield TV or Apple TV instead of using a TV manufacturers default options. At least you'll know your apps will get updates straight from the companies themselves. I've yet to own a Smart TV that didn't become obsolete within a few years time. It's getting better, but it's never going to be great.

I like Tizen well enough for its general speed compared to my old Philips with Android TV, but it's not perfect yet.

It looks okay, but I dislike that I can't angle it as steeply. I have my TV on the side on an angle so I can watch it without getting neck pain while lying down on my couch, but the legs make it so the angle is just not quite there. Which is a shame. A middle stand just makes things easier.

I mounted my soundbar on the front of my TV cupboard, so I don't really need the space either.

I thought the answer to that was the one connect box, but Samsung discontinued those after what, one iteration? Still pretty sour about that.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
What a wonderfully elaborate and shiny shiny backpedal!

I am pretty sure that the above quote from Rudy1 and the below quote from Rudy amount to the same exact thing:

We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. We're gonna get 'em on the run boys and once we get 'em on the run we're gonna keep 'em on the run. And then we're gonna go go go go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline. This is a team they say is... is good, well I think we're better than them. They can't lick us, so what do you say men?

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Samsung soundbar paired via Bluetooth but have never been able to figure out how to make it turn on automatically when I turn on the TV. It turns off automatically but not on.

Lol I just realized a few days ago you can control the ps4 with the Samsung remote.

Nice touch.

I have been trying to figure this out and can't find out what to do past enabling Anynet+ on the TV and HDMI Device Link on the PS4 (Pro). What do I do next? I've fucked around with so many different settings.

EDIT: I figured out how to do it but it straight up turns off my PS4 everytime I turn off the tv. Not Rest Mode. Straight up off. And it doesn't turn it on when I turn the tv on. Which is pointless. Sigh. Can't win.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I've got a question. When watching Netflix, Amazon or Hulu, the screen will grow gradually darker. I've tried messing with all kinds of settings and can't figure this out. Changing the backlight up and down will fix the issue but it will almost immediately gradually grow darker.

Does anyone know what causes this?

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a question. When watching Netflix, Amazon or Hulu, the screen will grow gradually darker. I've tried messing with all kinds of settings and can't figure this out. Changing the backlight up and down will fix the issue but it will almost immediately gradually grow darker.

People say the Eco settings cause it, but I still get it even when they're disabled so idk...

Heel

Oct 25, 2017

People say the Eco settings cause it, but I still get it even when they're disabled so idk...

Yeah, make sure you're in an app (maybe playing something?) when you adjust the Eco setting. If I'm remembering right, I had the same problem and realized that the media apps had their own Eco settings to adjust.

diablo900t

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL

I had that problem occur, and had been using Standard (with Eco settings). I switched to one of the other modes and its seemed to have gone away.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
A long shot, but... Anyone has their 360 connected to this?

I dusted mine off tonight to see if it still lived, hadn't done it since I got this TV, and it says there's no signal. Not a console issue since it works with my monitor, it's not a cable issue since I'm using the same I use with my PS4, and I tried all 4 ports so they're not the issue either. I'm at a loss.
I have a Samsung soundbar paired via Bluetooth but have never been able to figure out how to make it turn on automatically when I turn on the TV. It turns off automatically but not on.
I also have a Samsung soundbar and it works fine over sound connect. Haven't tried bluetooth but there's no reason to.

There's a button you have to hold on the soundbar remote to enable turning on/off with the TV, I can't remember which but it's in the manual. For whatever reason it's off by default.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Does anybody know if there are benefits to using 4k rated hdmi cables with this set. I have like 4 devices connected to my ks7000 of which one is a 4k capable. All of them are connected using hdmi cables from my previous 1080p tv and thus are rated for 1080p. The 1080p devices work just fine but the 4k one has a tendency to flicker to black from time to time, could this be cable related?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
A long shot, but... Anyone has their 360 connected to this?

Yes, I have mine connected and it works fine.

The 1080p devices work just fine but the 4k one has a tendency to flicker to black from time to time, could this be cable related?

Yes, the 4K signal is a lot more bandwidth going over the cable so if the cable isn't sufficient you will usually see picture drop-outs / black screens.

Nauren

Oct 30, 2017
I'm in the market for a new sub $1000 4k tv. Is this about the best out there? I've been looking at it and the Sony XBR55X900E

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Can't speak on the Sony, but I would re-buy this TV in a heartbeat.

Antsa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Samsung soundbar paired via Bluetooth but have never been able to figure out how to make it turn on automatically when I turn on the TV. It turns off automatically but not

I had same problem with HW-450 soundbar and found out that when both the TV and Soundbar are on and connected press and hold "SOUND" button from
your Soundbar remote. After a couple of seconds Soundbar shows some kind of "paired with startup" message and it should start it self with TV.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I had same problem with HW-450 soundbar and found out that when both the TV and Soundbar are on and connected press and hold "SOUND" button from
your Soundbar remote. After a couple of seconds Soundbar shows some kind of "paired with startup" message and it should start it self with TV.

Ohhhhh, that's what I was missing then. Thank you for your help. It's a hard question to search for online, surprisingly. Since that post though, I ended up just caving and purchasing a super long optical cable to reach from the soundbar to the Samsung external input unit (or whatever it's called). It works fine now, but it's my own fault for not figuring out the Bluetooth auto-on earlier, hahaha.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for the KS8000 right now and seeing what sort of prices I can find.

If you work at/can find a friend that works at Starbucks or some other big retailer/service job like that, they might have a PerkSpot or equivalent account with which they could possibly have access to a highly discounted KS8000. That's what me and a lot of other folks did on GAF back in the day. Not sure if it's still one of their discounted items, but Samsung had a huge selection of items with discounts. I also got my soundbar for 30% off or something like that.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the market for a new sub $1000 4k tv. Is this about the best out there? I've been looking at it and the Sony XBR55X900E

I actually would advise AGAINST buying this TV, as it's effectively been obsoleted by Samsung, who've said they won't or are unwilling to add HDR10+ (Plus) (their own freaking standard) and HLG compatibility to the set.

Also a firmware update promised to fix some long standing issues promised before November hasn't materialised.

There are a lot of people actually attempting to get refunds on the model in the UK at the moment because of Samsung's frankly stupid stance, see also other posts in this thread.

VincentMatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I actually would advise AGAINST buying this TV, as it's effectively been obsoleted by Samsung, who've said they won't or are unwilling to add HDR10+ (Plus) (their own freaking standard) and HLG compatibility to the set.

Also a firmware update promised to fix some long standing issues promised before November hasn't materialised.

There are a lot of people actually attempting to get refunds on the model in the UK at the moment because of Samsung's frankly stupid stance, see also other posts in this thread.

Problem is, most casuals who bought this tv wont even notice that the HDR is broken for game mode. Unless you know what youre talking about, most people wont even notice.

Oct 28, 2017

There are a lot of people in the world doing a lot of different things at any given time.

The KS8000 is not perfect but it is still the best mid-range TV you can buy. None of the 2017 sets come close. Especially in Europe, there is simply not a better option. In the US you could save some money and get the TCL maybe.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of people in the world doing a lot of different things at any given time.

The KS8000 is not perfect but it is still the best mid-range TV you can buy. None of the 2017 sets come close. Especially in Europe, there is simply not a better option. In the US you could save some money and get the TCL maybe.
In the Us there are a lot of options. Especially as we head towards the Superbowl week and prices start to get better.

TCL, Vizio M or P, XBR900 are all good set at sub $1k prices depending on what you need. I guess you could lump in the MU8000 too but honestly it's not as good at the prices of the other sets

Oct 28, 2017
In the Us there are a lot of options. Especially as we head towards the Superbowl week and prices start to get better.

TCL, Vizio M or P, XBR900 are all good set at sub $1k prices depending on what you need. I guess you could lump in the MU8000 too but honestly it's not as good at the prices of the other sets

Yes those are all fine sets certainly. But the KS8000 is a better set.

Oct 27, 2017
Problem is, most casuals who bought this tv wont even notice that the HDR is broken for game mode. Unless you know what youre talking about, most people wont even notice.

I guess that'll be tested as soon as the Winter Olympics start and how the 4k HDR broadcasts are marketed, as they'll be HLG.

But I agree, it's not just Samsung mucking customers about, Sony cocking up the Dolby Vision firmware rollout for instance.

As for buying a 2018 set, you'd be crazy to with HDMI 2.1 not supported properly yet and half cooked PR speak coming out of CES with how it'll be implemented.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I have a 65-inch MU8000. I really like it. I really don't know about HDR, though. I have an Xbox One X and it says I'm getting HDR signal. Sometimes I think I can tell. Other times I don't know what would make it really obvious.

I'm definitely outputting HDR. The TV and the Xbox tell me I am. But when I go to calibrate the HDR settings on some games (like Gears 4, or AC Origins) and I'm told to compare three images - make one disappear, one barely visible, and one visible. Whenever I change the slider on those things, all three are blank and I'm not seeing any image. No matter where I put the slider. I don't get it.

HDR is definitely enabled for all inputs so it's not that. I can tell HDR the easiest when I watch The Grand Tour on Amazon. That looks amazing. I just don't know if this TV doesn't have great HDR (probably most likely), I'm doing something wrong, or HDR just isn't as great as I expected.

Even with awesome HDR, this TV is awesome.

Myrrhodd

Jan 15, 2018
Does anyone else have the issue where the TV auto renames the HDMI input names back to default? Ex.: My "Switch" HDMI name will be renamed back to "HDMI2/DVI" when I use the Switch the next day. It's very annoying.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else have the issue where the TV auto renames the HDMI input names back to default? Ex.: My "Switch" HDMI name will be renamed back to "HDMI2/DVI" when I use the Switch the next day. It's very annoying.
Yup. For me it mostly happens on HDMI 3. No matter how many times I change it, it just changes back. I gave up eventually.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I'm not the only one noticing no difference from sharpness ratings
I can definitely tell. It's harder to notice on live action stuff, but with things like 2D graphics (like in a game or the guide on your cable box) it's very noticeable around the edges. I personally wouldn't go higher than 20 on any source.

Any setting above 0 is an artificial effect.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I can definitely tell. It's harder to notice on live action stuff, but with things like 2D graphics (like in a game or the guide on your cable box) it's very noticeable around the edges. I personally wouldn't go higher than 20 on any source.

Any setting above 0 is an artificial effect.
I was on 100 (LOL) before actually doing my settings. At 0 now. Will try 20.

Loakum

Oct 27, 2017
You probably won't find a sub-$1k TV. This thing has a cult following and the prices are actually going up.
This. Last year, May, 3, 2017, I got my brand new 65 inch Samsung KS8000 for $1,799.99 from amazon, now it costs $3,500 if you want it new. Now as for gamemode, I never have it set on that because It make the picture horrible

Last edited:

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Isn't it only broken in terms of not auto-adjusting the settings?

That is correct. But with the abundance of HDR games over the past year, this has gone from a minor annoyance to a major one.

Does anyone else have the issue where the TV auto renames the HDMI input names back to default?

There is a special procedure you can do to turn off this auto-detection. It worked for me. I'll paste it here:

HDMI AUTO DETECT TOGGLE

The HDMI Auto Detect feature can be turned off on Samsung 2016/2017 TVs using the remote control by pressing a certain key sequence (either IR or Bluetooth remote works).

1. Make sure TV is updated to latest firmware version

2. Switch TV to TV source – HDMI may not work with BT Smart remotes. TV source works with either remote

3. Using IR Remote: Mute + 7 + 2 + 9 + Exit

4. Using Smart Control: Mute + Vol Down + Ch Down + Mute

PLEASE NOTE: TV does not display any messages after you press the above key combination. This function is a toggle. So if you want to turn HDMI Auto Detect on again, press the same key sequence.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Question on that Dr. Zoidberg Are names retained for any HDMI ports that had auto detected prior to turning it off? I like the the X1X has the Xbox logo on its plaque/panel.

Just curious if the service shortcut you outlined removes names that were already set or not.

Psykotik

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brunei

mine did this too. there's a way to fix it but I completely forgot how I did it (cant remember if it was a button combo or a system setting). maybe somebody else remembers.

edit: nevermind! late on the reply. already answered above.