• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Samsung KS8000/KS7000 OT
8dd225a575313e17180a9y9siz.jpg

Specifications

Screen sizes: 49" / 55" / 60" / 65" LCD QLED
Resolution: 3840x2160 (UHD) 16:9
HDR: HDR10
Backlight: Edge-lit
Dimming: Local Dimming
Refresh Rate: 120Hz
Response time: 21ms
Brightness: 1.200cd/m²
Contrast: 4:000:1
HDMI: 4x HDMI 2.0a
TV Tuner: Analogue, DVB-C, DVB-S2, DVB-T, DVB-T2, CI+ card slot
Audio: Digital (S/PDIF)
Speakers: Stereo 40W
Network: Ethernet 100Mbps / WiFi 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n

European version is called KS7000. US version is called KS8000.

---

This thread is for general discussion about this TV. While screen and color settings are very much personal, I suggest a good place to start is watching this video and trying these settings as a starting point and adjusting from that to your personal taste:

Last edited:

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I'm still salty that we got the HLG update but Samsung didn't bother to update the iplayer app, so we couldn't run Blue Planet 2 in 4K/HDR...

Mobias

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh
I've got a 55 inch curved KS7500. Great decently sized 4K HDR TV if you don't want to break the bank. The feet on either end of the screen mean you are limited to fitting it on to a long TV table though. From a purely aesthetic point of view I think they do look better than a central stand and you can fit a sound bar comfortably underneath.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I'm still salty that we got the HLG update but Samsung didn't bother to update the iplayer app, so we couldn't run Blue Planet 2 in 4K/HDR...
Honestly, you're always better off just getting a Shield TV or Apple TV instead of using a TV manufacturers default options. At least you'll know your apps will get updates straight from the companies themselves. I've yet to own a Smart TV that didn't become obsolete within a few years time. It's getting better, but it's never going to be great.

I like Tizen well enough for its general speed compared to my old Philips with Android TV, but it's not perfect yet.

I've got a 55 inch curved KS7500. Great decently sized 4K HDR TV if you don't want to break the bank. The feet on either end of the screen mean you are limited to fitting it on to a long TV table though. From a purely aesthetic point of view I think they do look better than a central stand and you can fit a sound bar comfortably underneath.

It looks okay, but I dislike that I can't angle it as steeply. I have my TV on the side on an angle so I can watch it without getting neck pain while lying down on my couch, but the legs make it so the angle is just not quite there. Which is a shame. A middle stand just makes things easier.

I mounted my soundbar on the front of my TV cupboard, so I don't really need the space either.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
So... PS4 Pro... RGB or YUV420?

Also, does anyone have a problem with the remote where they need to pop out and put the batteries back in for it to work? I have this problem once every two weeks or so, even with a fresh set.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Also, does anyone have a problem with the remote where they need to pop out and put the batteries back in for it to work?

When this happens, is your remote completely non-functional? I have an issue from time to time, maybe every two weeks or so as well, where I will press a button and the red light will quickly flash a few times and nothing happens. I either wait a minute for it to sort itself out, or pop the batteries. KS9000 here but the remote is the same I believe. Sometimes it even brings up the SmartHub, but then I immediately lose responsiveness with the remote.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
When this happens, is your remote completely non-functional? I have an issue from time to time, maybe every two weeks or so as well, where I will press a button and the red light will quickly flash a few times and nothing happens. I either wait a minute for it to sort itself out, or pop the batteries. KS9000 here but the remote is the same I believe. Sometimes it even brings up the SmartHub, but then I immediately lose responsiveness with the remote.
For me, I only notice it exclusively when I'm trying to turn the tv on. I think I get a red light on the remote but the tv doesn't respond. I'll pay a little more attention the next time to see if I can just wait to see if it fixes itself, like you mentioned.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely be curious. For me it almost seems like it is an issue with the Hub stalling out or failing to properly load in.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany

Also, does anyone have a problem with the remote where they need to pop out and put the batteries back in for it to work? I have this problem once every two weeks or so, even with a fresh set.

Yep, happens to me once in a while, too.

How can I stop the TV to switch inputs when I can turn on a device thats connected via HDMI?

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the 55 inch KS8000 EU model since early summer last year. The 7000, with the crow's feet sticking out, wouldn't fit. I prefer the 8000 stand.

I was surprised by its picture quality. I came from an VT20 ancient but top end Plasma. The picture quality of the KS is good, 1080p feeds look good. The viewing angle is shit, but sort of expected. Gaming is responsive in Game Mode. Tizen works fine, I tried Android in the store on a X90 Sony set, and it was slower I think.

What sucks though, is that there still isn't an update for HDR settings. Constantly having to change stuff if you're going back to non-HDR games is shit.

My remotes are running fine from the moment I first used them. Though I don't really like them. I think I use RGB on Pro, but does it even matter? Not sure.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

yes, i have the european version (ks7000) had this since i got the TV.

dont get me wrong, its a great TV overall, but stuff like this, or the TV randomly deciding to override my inputs despite me not chnaging anything or backlight not auto adjusting are just really really small, irritating things that add up.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have the 55 inch KS8000 EU model since early summer last year. The 7000, with the crow's feet sticking out, wouldn't fit. I prefer the 8000 stand.

I was surprised by its picture quality. I came from an VT20 ancient but top end Plasma. The picture quality of the KS is good, 1080p feeds look good. The viewing angle is shit, but sort of expected. Gaming is responsive in Game Mode. Tizen works fine, I tried Android in the store on a X90 Sony set, and it was slower I think.

What sucks though, is that there still isn't an update for HDR settings. Constantly having to change stuff if you're going back to non-HDR games is shit.

My remotes are running fine from the moment I first used them. Though I don't really like them. I think I use RGB on Pro, but does it even matter? Not sure.

Honestly i dont change it. I find the colors and picture great the way they are. If a fix comes great, but i aint changing the settings everytime i watch of play something HDR.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Watching CES coverage this year, really feel like buying a 2016 TV ended up being the sweet spot for a purchase. Everything has been incremental updates and a waiting game for HDMI 2.1 and the HDR format wars to pan out since then.

Also, on the KS front, someone on AVS was told by customer support that an HDR10+ update is coming in February. Grain of salt, and all that.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching CES coverage this year, really feel like buying a 2016 TV ended up being the sweet spot for a purchase. Everything has been incremental updates and a waiting game for HDMI 2.1 and the HDR format wars to pan out since then.

Also, on the KS front, someone on AVS was told by customer support that an HDR10+ update is coming in February. Grain of salt, and all that.
Anybody other than Rudy? Got a link?

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Aside from a couple of issues my 65" KS800D has been pretty awesome. I love the picture quality on this set! Watching movies in 4k is pretty amazing and also gaming on it as well. Having to reset the HDMI CEC every month or so because the audio from my receiver cuts out and I have some minor panel separation happening on the top left side but nothing major at this point. I'm pretty happy with it considering I paid $1500 for it at Costco and thanks to some price matching credits from both Costco and Discover card I ended up only spending less than 1/2 for what I paid for it. It's a pretty minimal investment for a set I plan on upgrading to OLED in a year or so when the tech gets better and the prices drop.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Just a FYI but PC mode + HDR is broken (for my KS9000 and PC at least). Sharpness can go up past max levels in this scenario

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 65" KS 8000. I've had it on a TV stand for the past year but am moving and will mount it once I move. Any mounting tips?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lol yeah i have the same issue.

I also have the issue where my sound bar just wouldn't connect. Have to restart that too.

Sometimes it fails to pick up the ps4 feed and i have to unplug the hdmi cable and put it back in.

I also have random online disconnects even on wired connections.

This has to be the buggiest piece of hardware I've ever had and i had a Sony Xperia z1s.

WolfRathmA

Nov 21, 2017
Greece

YUV420 for HDR (it gives 36bits per pixel [12bit])
RGB for SDR (444 30bits per pixel [8bit])

Have the same issue with the remote. I have to remove the batteries as you do or press the power button on the TV.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm still thoroughly impressed with this set and can't recommend it highly enough for a bright environment. Sure, if you've got a light controlled environment then OLED is unbeatable, but with lots of natural light the peak brightness and overall feature set was a steal for the price this was going for in late 2016.

We actually bought two of them. One 55" and one 65" for two different homes.

I have a 65" KS 8000. I've had it on a TV stand for the past year but am moving and will mount it once I move. Any mounting tips?

It's a pretty standard mount. So long as it's properly anchored you're in good shape - though you almost certainly want a mount that pivots on two axes so you can stay in the sweet spot, color reproduction wise, from your preferred seating.

manzo

Oct 28, 2017
European 75" KS8000 (US KS9000) owner here, since June 2017.

- The remote control not working happens about every 3 weeks. The remote doesn't turn off or on the TV; the small red dot which is supposed to blink on the remote doesn't blink when the remote stops working. Removing one battery and re-inserting it fixes the remote. Seems to be something to do with the Bluetooth pairing, it just stops working and re-inserting the batteries resets pairing. Mild annoyance, but since it's easy to fix, even my kids know what to do.

- PS4 Pro image dropping. ONLY happens with PS4 Pro and in 444 RGB. I've tried 10 different cables (and yes, all of them are 22GBs certified) and nothing removes it. The drop-offs happen about 1-4 times within the first 10 minutes of operation, then it doesn't happen again. For example, 1-3 dropoffs during the first 10 minutes, then the rest of the evening - no dropouts whatsoever. No drops at all in YUV420/422. I think this is a handshake issue with the Pro in RGB, it's not a cable issue. I've tried direct connection from PS4 to the OneConnect box, PS4 -> Onkyo receiver -> OneConnect, PS4 -> female/female adapter (for quick switching with PSVR) -> Onkyo receiver -> OneConnect. None of these chains do any difference. All combinations tested with 5-7 different cables. It's 1-4 dropouts and then all is good. I did a weekend of extensive testing with this to really find out if it's a cable problem, chain problem or a handshake issue. I don't have access to an OG or Slim PS4, so I don't know if it happens with them in 444 RGB.

- Still waiting for that HDR + Game mode patch... patiently..

- Love the TV, but the size of the TV brings its own issues with backlight uniformity.. and it's something that just has to be taken as a feature in big size TV's.

Oct 29, 2017
I have the european ks7000, and are quite satisfied with the TV in terms of picture quality, but the OS is utter trash. When I access the Youtube-app, turn off the TV, turn it on again and access the Youtube-app again, it's none responsive, and I have to hold the back-button to manually hard-close the app before it works. I also have the issue where Netflix will become unresponsive once every couple of weeks, where you have to reset the Smart hub and re-enter -everything-. Has anyone succesfully eliminated these problems?

I'm hoping they'll eventually fix the game-mode + HDR, but I'm not holding my breadth.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
It's a pretty standard mount. So long as it's properly anchored you're in good shape - though you almost certainly want a mount that pivots on two axes so you can stay in the sweet spot, color reproduction wise, from your preferred seating.

Yes, it's a standard VESA 400x400 wall mount and you can find many wallmounts VESA compatible on amazon. The KS8000 is pretty light weight even for large screens (I've got the 65'' curverd KS8500). It's very easy to mount and I used a pivot wallmount without any problem. Just be sure to check the max angle you would need and if the wallmount will be able to do it for your screen size (the bigger the screen is, the smaller the angle will be), for example with my 65'' and the wallmount I've got I can't go further than 40/45° (certainly less with a non-curved version).

- The remote control not working happens about every 3 weeks. The remote doesn't turn off or on the TV; the small red dot which is supposed to blink on the remote doesn't blink when the remote stops working. Removing one battery and re-inserting it fixes the remote. Seems to be something to do with the Bluetooth pairing, it just stops working and re-inserting the batteries resets pairing. Mild annoyance, but since it's easy to fix, even my kids know what to do.

- Love the TV, but the size of the TV brings its own issues with backlight uniformity.. and it's something that just has to be taken as a feature in big size TV's.

Got the same random remote disconnections. So this seems to be a widespread problem with this model :( And yes backlight uniformity is also a problem on 65'', even get worse when you push smart led to the max (I keep it to low but you can still see some white spots from time to time)

I have the european ks7000, and are quite satisfied with the TV in terms of picture quality, but the OS is utter trash. When I access the Youtube-app, turn off the TV, turn it on again and access the Youtube-app again, it's none responsive, and I have to hold the back-button to manually hard-close the app before it works. I also have the issue where Netflix will become unresponsive once every couple of weeks, where you have to reset the Smart hub and re-enter -everything-. Has anyone succesfully eliminated these problems?

I'm hoping they'll eventually fix the game-mode + HDR, but I'm not holding my breadth.

Got the same problems with netflix and YT, but I think this is coming from the apps, so Netflix and Google are responsible for that. Before the latest YT update (I think it was somewhere in oct or nov last year ?) those problems didn't exist...

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Heh, I don't even use the smart remote, I just use the old-fashioned one. But I also don't use anything on the TV except switching sources and occasional settings.

Honestly, you're better off investing in an Apple TV or Shield TV. Those built-in apps are just not worth the bother, especially because they're combined with those slow TV CPU's that just aren't good enough to do things properly.

Styrman

Nov 7, 2017
I've had the 75" KS8005 for about a year now and is mostly happy with it.
Never had any problems with the remote, but I had some major picture issues which resulted in a really long warranty battle with Samsung. Got it swapped on goodwill by the store in the end, and even though the replacement still has some of the same issues, it is much better.
The problem is a visible dark line on the left side that moves up and down depending on what's on screen. It was extremely visible on the first tv, to the point where you couldn't watch or play anything without constantly looking at the line jumping around.

Here's an example from Uncharted 4.
https://youtu.be/yW8XYPO4m5c

(It was a hassle to wall-mount though, we had to be three adults to make it work).
dsc_1286szsbk.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Got the same problems with netflix and YT, but I think this is coming from the apps, so Netflix and Google are responsible for that. Before the latest YT update (I think it was somewhere in oct or nov last year ?) those problems didn't exist...
Do you men since October, November 2017, or 16? I got mine in 2016, and the problems have been there since I got it.

I spoke with a colleague who has a Sony with Android TV, who insists he doesn't have the problems. Since not all apps are available for all TVs I assume that there is some software implementation on the manufacturers side, but who knows. I think a bigger stink, and a quicker fix would be present if the problems were on every Android TV.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
How do 2017 model numbers work? I'm getting a MU8000 in Asia. What does that equal to in the US?

diablo900t

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL

- PS4 Pro image dropping. ONLY happens with PS4 Pro and in 444 RGB. I've tried 10 different cables (and yes, all of them are 22GBs certified) and nothing removes it. The drop-offs happen about 1-4 times within the first 10 minutes of operation, then it doesn't happen again. For example, 1-3 dropoffs during the first 10 minutes, then the rest of the evening - no dropouts whatsoever. No drops at all in YUV420/422. I think this is a handshake issue with the Pro in RGB, it's not a cable issue. I've tried direct connection from PS4 to the OneConnect box, PS4 -> Onkyo receiver -> OneConnect, PS4 -> female/female adapter (for quick switching with PSVR) -> Onkyo receiver -> OneConnect. None of these chains do any difference. All combinations tested with 5-7 different cables. It's 1-4 dropouts and then all is good. I did a weekend of extensive testing with this to really find out if it's a cable problem, chain problem or a handshake issue. I don't have access to an OG or Slim PS4, so I don't know if it happens with them in 444 RGB.

- Still waiting for that HDR + Game mode patch... patiently..

WOW! I have these exact same issues with my US KS8500. Glad to hear that I'm not alone, i thought there was honestly something wrong with my remote. All of these annoyances and lack of support by Samsung (particularly the Game Mode issue) means this will probably be my last TV from them for a very long time. I got an incredible deal on this last November, but next time will likely go with a Sony TV.

Machobknyc

Oct 29, 2017
Queens,New York
Love this TV.I have yet to run into any problems with this set(knock on wood).Watching movies and playing games on the Xb1X is amazing on this set,my jaw drops every time I watch Guardians of The Galaxy 2 or playing Forza 7.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
Do you men since October, November 2017, or 16? I got mine in 2016, and the problems have been there since I got it.

I spoke with a colleague who has a Sony with Android TV, who insists he doesn't have the problems. Since not all apps are available for all TVs I assume that there is some software implementation on the manufacturers side, but who knows. I think a bigger stink, and a quicker fix would be present if the problems were on every Android TV.

I bought mine in july 2017 and it started acting weird for YT later in the year. may be it's only a coincidence with the YT update, and in fact it's getteing bugged after some time using it ? Strangely, while I had to force close the app after each use (or it would be completely freezing the next time I would use it) it seems to be working OK for the last 2 weeks...

For Netflix the fact that it lose your login after some time also happens on my PC and was happening as well on the Xbox. Even with this very small problem taht happens once in a while I find it more reliable on the TV than anywhere else.

Everything else has been working perfectly and the PQ is quite amazing when watching 4K HDR.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Picked up the 65" based on the thread from the other place and I love it. My only real complaint is that the remote can't quite sync with my decade old Onkyo receiver. I have to go through the pairing wizard or else it won't control the volume. My setup has been pared down to just the TV, the receiver, and a PS4. I'm stuck using my decade old Logitech Harmony which is almost fine except it can't access some of the functions in streaming apps. Can't go "back" in HBO NOW for example.

Otherwise, HDR was a pretty eye opening discovery. I had the PS4 passing through the receiver for a while and didn't bother turning HDR on or off when playing games. When I hooked the PS4 up to the TV directly it automatically turned on HDR, and I was pretty impressed!

TheGoat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any reason why blacks on this tv are blocky and blurry? The only mind blowing 4K content are the sample YouTube vids. The black backgrounds look the same on PS4 pro as they do a switch

Oct 29, 2017
For Netflix the fact that it lose your login after some time also happens on my PC and was happening as well on the Xbox. Even with this very small problem taht happens once in a while I find it more reliable on the TV than anywhere else.
You misunderstand. The app becomes unresponsive, as in not responding to any input at all. This continues until I force reset the Smart Hub.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any reason why blacks on this tv are blocky and blurry? The only mind blowing 4K content are the sample YouTube vids. The black backgrounds look the same on PS4 pro as they do a switch

The blacks on this TV aren't blocky and blurry. Sounds like you might have a HDMI cable issue or RGB Range configuration issue.

ReitStuff

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone with this TV been able to get HDR to work with the Apple TV 4K? I have to view everything in SDR mode because HDR looks horribly dim. I've seen other people have this problem but have yet to find a solution.