• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I can't believe I didn't know about how well "supported" Samsung Pay is in the states. I just recently got an S10e, and after adding my cards to the app - even if a place says they don't support paying with a phone, they probably actually do. I've been HATING chip cards lately since it seems like chip readers are always iffy on how well they work around here, so being able to just tap, or failing that MST, is a lot more convenient. The only places that don't seem to work well are ATMs and gas station pumps, so it actually feels like I could start just using a wallet case for my ID and basic cards now. It's crazy!

Anyone else use it as their daily driver?

vanty

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about any Samsung or Apple specific stuff, but I've had my credit card on Google Pay or whatever it's called for ages and it works exactly like tapping the card. Works everywhere, every time, hold it above the sensor and within a few tenths of a second it's done and I'm off. Not only have I not touched physical money in a very long time, I haven't touched my credit card either.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
80% of my purchases are through Samsung Pay, not having to take out my wallet everytime is a godsend

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty great how ubiquitous Apple Pay has become - it's super convenient.
Thing about Samsung Pay is that it works even on things that don't actually support mobile payments, it's some Wizardry shit.

But yeah, loved Apple Pay when I had an iPhone and Samsung Pay now but it's been pretty much everywhere for years and years and years in the UK. Has it not been as widely supported in the US? I know you guys were somewhat behind because people actually still use cheques.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I use Apple Pay whenever I can. My preconceived thought was not a lot of stores accept it (because I haven't seen the Apple Pay logo there), but apparently it works with the regular contactless icon too. It's great.

Also, I actively don't use physical money, because my expenses made via card or Apple Pay automatically feed into a financial analysis app that helps me keep track of my expenses month by month.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I love Samsung pay and it's promotions, but have been having major issues in the last week where my debit card keeps showing "temporarily unavailable".

The only fix is to remove and re-add it, which I've done 3 times do far and I'm pretty sure my bank will disable the card soon out of security concerns of I keep doing it.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Thing about Samsung Pay is that it works even on things that don't actually support mobile payments, it's some Wizardry shit.

But yeah, loved Apple Pay when I had an iPhone and Samsung Pay now but it's been pretty much everywhere for years and years and years in the UK. Has it not been as widely supported in the US? I know you guys were somewhat behind because people actually still use cheques.

We just got chip payments, but a lot of places still use mag swipes... which is the big reason why Samsung Pay is a bigger draw in the US.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still maddening how many places do not except Apple Pay in stores today when it is by far the most convenient way to pay

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
is there a difference between all these brand pays?
I thought you could pay with any nfc smartphone as long as the store accepts contactless card payments.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I used Samsung Pay for all of my purchases for about 6 months, but stopped because I was tired of having to explain to cashiers what I was doing and assuring them that it would work. Also, it's not any more convenient than paying with a physical card.

Oct 28, 2017
Samsung pay only has MST (magswipe magic) in the US (and maybe Canada).
Here in France it works through nfc and I have been using it every day for close to 9 months now almost everywhere.
People are getting used to it. I only get weird looks when I pay using my watch.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
If a place accepts Apple Pay, that's how I'll pay, every time. I've never had a CC stolen (knock on wood) but it's the closest thing to impossible if you use a secure system like it for all of your purchases.

Apple could do better at integrating things like promotions though. It works great as a payment system but it's bare bones apart from that. Like why isn't there "get 10% off/back if you buy such and such and this location" or things like that? Saving all of that for their Apple CC I guess?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I didn't know about how well "supported" Samsung Pay is in the states. I just recently got an S10e, and after adding my cards to the app - even if a place says they don't support paying with a phone, they probably actually do. I've been HATING chip cards lately since it seems like chip readers are always iffy on how well they work around here, so being able to just tap, or failing that MST, is a lot more convenient. The only places that don't seem to work well are ATMs and gas station pumps, so it actually feels like I could start just using a wallet case for my ID and basic cards now. It's crazy!

Anyone else use it as their daily driver?
It's not because it's supported lol. It's because I'm works with the existing infastructures. You can use it on any existing card reader.

Its the best by a country mile and quite proprietary sadly.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
ApplePay is great. It's faster and safer than taking out your card. In the US, it's accepted at almost all stores and non sit down restaurants.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ApplePay is great. It's faster and safer than taking out your card. In the US, it's accepted at almost all stores and non sit down restaurants.
Not even slightly true sadly. Maybe in bigger cities. But many places have older card readers that will not. Samsung pay is different because it sends out a magnetic code like the strip on your card. So it works with all card readers.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
In canada and I almost exclusively use Apple Pay unless some tap terminal is down. But we are way ahead on you guys on adoption.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know about any Samsung or Apple specific stuff, but I've had my credit card on Google Pay or whatever it's called for ages and it works exactly like tapping the card. Works everywhere, every time, hold it above the sensor and within a few tenths of a second it's done and I'm off. Not only have I not touched physical money in a very long time, I haven't touched my credit card either.
I've never come across a place that rejected my Google Pay app on my Pixel. I've actually not removed my debit card from my wallet or carried cash in many months.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I use Apple Pay all the time. I never carry cash on me anyway but means depending what I'm doing I don't even bother to take a wallet with me.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much 100% Google Pay these days when I'm out and about, pretty much stopped carrying cards or cash when I go to grab something at lunch,

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely miss Samsung Pay since switching to an iPhone. Apple Pay is just flat out not as feature rich and is limited by the physical card machine supporting it.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since contactless payment became basically a standard, Apple Pay is awesome for me and extremely convenient since I'm always on my phone anyway.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I use Samsung Pay on and off. It's really not more convenient than a credit card. It's gotten much better. A year ago I would get error messages on the terminal about half the time. Now it works about 90% of the time.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I use Google Pay when I can.

Weirdly the one time in the least year or so that I kept getting errors and had to give up was at Best Buy.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I really wish Samsung Pay's MST tech was available on the Pixel, it's the only thing I feel like I'm missing out on by sticking with Google's phones. I installed the developer preview of Android Q after I/O last week and now my Google Pay stuff isn't supported at all. =\

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I have a phone that supports Google pay and another phone that doesn't. It doesn't feel that much different than using a credit card.

I do like to use the phone to save and pay with giftcard, it's very convenient.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used Samsung Pay for all of my purchases for about 6 months, but stopped because I was tired of having to explain to cashiers what I was doing and assuring them that it would work. Also, it's not any more convenient than paying with a physical card.

Yeah I used it extensively for awhile mostly at self checkout places where I could just do it at my own pace, but when you have to input a PIN, "Do You Want Cash Back? Y/N", "Do You Want an Emailed Receipt? Y/N" , etc it's no different then just putting your card in the slot in terms of time spent.

I use Samsung Pay on and off. It's really not more convenient than a credit card. It's gotten much better. A year ago I would get error messages on the terminal about half the time. Now it works about 90% of the time.

I use it if I remember it anymore, which isn't very often. Maybe once or twice a month. It is pretty neat but it's not like I'm ever going to stop carrying my cards or cash with me in my lifetime.

Oct 27, 2017
I jab my card in. I don't see how using my phone would be any quicker or easier. Either way I'm still pulling something out of a pocket. It seems like if anything it would be slower since I use different credit cards for different things depending on what gets me the most rewards. Fiddling with an app to change which card to use would be a lot slower than just yanking a different card out of my wallet.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the benefit of tapping my phone Vs tapping my card. But where I live everyone accepts contactless payment.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I have to go to Walgreens fairly often as it's very convenient from my house. Their rewards card works in the Wallet app and they accept Apple Pay.

Instead of having to type in my phone number or getting my card out and entering a PIN or swiping I just pretty much just hold my phone up twice.

When I got a Watch then that went next level lol

I haven't taken my wallet out in that store in like 2 years.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Not even slightly true sadly. Maybe in bigger cities. But many places have older card readers that will not. Samsung pay is different because it sends out a magnetic code like the strip on your card. So it works with all card readers.

The downside to simulating a mag stripe is that it's no more secure than a mag stripe, and your actual CC number is exposed to the reader as opposed to a one-time number like some of the other payment methods.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I haven't had Samsung Pay since the S6 so i don't know if it's changed but it would still ask me to insert my chip after holding up my phone to the reader....super annoying. I can use apple pay at 95% of the places I go and love it!

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The downside to simulating a mag stripe is that it's no more secure than a mag stripe, and your actual CC number is exposed to the reader as opposed to a one-time number like some of the other payment methods.
I don't disagree that the security issues remain. I'm just saying it's by a massive margin the most convenient.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hate I am with Barclays as they don't support Goolgle play or Samsung pay
What I did was open a new credit card with a reward scheme and add that to Google Pay. So I use that instead of my Barclays debit card and pay off in full every month, plus get John Lewis vouchers every 3 months.

I actually moved away from Barclays since doing that due to a decent switch offer from another bank so don't need to do it any more, but I still do due to the rewards.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Wait until you experience QR code payments OP
I've been using an app called LevelUp for QR payments at some restaurants since 2011. The only downfall is that the business has to support LevelUp specifically – it's not available everywhere. I don't really know why it hasn't caught on more, but it's very convenient.