• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
I'm always going to carry my wallet anyways because transitcards, ID etc. so don't really see the point of finicking with my phone when paying. Not like it's one less thing to carry around, just handing over more of my info to another MegaCorp. Most, if not all, cards and terminals here have NFC so no need for inputting PIN under a certain amount and no hassling with terminals that have crappy chip-readers. I haven't used magstripes since over a decade and wouldn't today because it is easier to copy cards via magswipes AFAIK. Whenever I've seen people use Samsung or Apple Pay it has taken them longer than regular card NFC, or equally long at best. Don't really see the point.

Dec 12, 2017
I'm always going to carry my wallet anyways because transitcards, ID etc. so don't really see the point of finicking with my phone when paying. Not like it's one less thing to carry around, just handing over more of my info to another MegaCorp. Most, if not all, cards and terminals here have NFC so no need for inputting PIN under a certain amount and no hassling with terminals that have crappy chip-readers. I haven't used magstripes since over a decade and wouldn't today because it is easier to copy cards via magswipes AFAIK. Whenever I've seen people use Samsung or Apple Pay it has taken them longer than regular card NFC, or equally long at best. Don't really see the point.
Funny thing is in America, digital transit cards and IDs are coming.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
use apple pay wherever possible

back in 2015 when the apple watch came out, paying with the watch created major attention.

i'll always remember one cashier saying, "you think you're james bond or something"

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
The downside to simulating a mag stripe is that it's no more secure than a mag stripe, and your actual CC number is exposed to the reader as opposed to a one-time number like some of the other payment methods.

Incorrect. Samsung Pay does embed a unique token on the swipe transaction that is more secure than a standard card swipe. I also don't believe they use your real card number.

There was some big fuss made that someone had supposedly "broken" the Samsung MST security, but if you actually read the details it took a lot of wierd workarounds to do so (such as jamming the wireless signal so that it wouldn't reach out for a new token, among other things) and even then would be time-limited by the token's short expiration. Nothing that someone would be able to do casually.

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Been using WeChat pay for years now. It's literally everywhere in China. I can use it at vending machines and with the street vendors selling fruit or anything else. I carry a few hundred in cash for emergencies and don't even use an actual wallet anymore. Traveling to the States and other places that still use cash (coins!) and cards feels ancient now.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
People barely know about contactless where I live even through most machines can do it (only happened once so far when the cashier was aware of the system and knew how to use it). Still a longways for me to start being able to use it even with my card, people will think I'm from another planet if I raise my phone to pay.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
With my old phone, I occasionally used Google pay, but since getting a Galaxy phone I really love using Samsung Pay.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I had been thinking about changing phones but leaving Samsung Pay behind would suck. A lot of stores here still don't take nfc payments so Samsung Pay is really useful. I do miss when SP had better point rewards though. Now the points are almost worthless to me.

Edit: Also, I still have encounters where clerks don't think it will work. I also announce I am going to use it and how it works(if they question me) a lot as well because people think you are doing something shady sometimes.

The downside to simulating a mag stripe is that it's no more secure than a mag stripe, and your actual CC number is exposed to the reader as opposed to a one-time number like some of the other payment methods.

I think (at least now) that Samsung Pay creates a unique card number because there is a different "last 4 digits" that you are supposed to show to the cashier if they ask for it(never had anyone ask).

Last edited:

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
Funny thing is in America, digital transit cards and IDs are coming.
We do have digital transit cards here but I rather use the NFC-card than download the shitty app for it. Never heard of digital ID's being a thing, how would that work? Open an app and you get a display of a regular ID? I've had that for student-cards and stuff but not for national identification with photo. Who issues ID's in the US? Is it state-level? Federal? Banks?

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I just have an app from my bank. No need to tell Google/Samsung/Apple my purchase history. Tap the smartphone (no need to open the app) and it pays.

But yeah mobile payment is super convenient.

Edit: it's NFC though, I don't think any country in Europe still uses the magnetic band for over five to ten years.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah Samsung Pay is the best. I've gotten to the point where I don't even take my wallet into stores or on walks with me. It's great.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not my daily driver, but yeah, it's fantastic for when I forget my wallet or don't feel like pulling it out.
I ran to the store the other day and when I got to the checkout I realized that I'd left my wallet in the car. Having Samsung Pay on my Galaxy Watch totally saved me from having to run back out and hold everything up.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Samsung Pay is tops since it sends out a magnetic strip signal. Every place that accepts a credit/debit card will accept Samsung pay. There are very few places in Houston that accept Apple Pay.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I use Google Pay, not Samsung Pay, but I love mobile payments and use them wherever they're offered.

I used to think Google Pay and Samsung Pay were basically the same functionality, but someone here explained how Samsung Pay is more backwards compatible with older systems that don't support whatever the latest thing that Google & Apple Pay do... Because it has some magnetic strip signal. That's fucking awesome. I wish that was built into the Pixel lineup and supported via Google Pay.

I'm always impressed whenevr I go to use some weird vending service and it supports mobile payments. THe latest was at this random gas station, the coin-op tire inflator accepted mobile payments. I was pleasantly surprised because these are the exact type of systems that are vulnerable to people hacking them with card skimmers or whatever else.

I've been using an app called LevelUp for QR payments at some restaurants since 2011. The only downfall is that the business has to support LevelUp specifically – it's not available everywhere. I don't really know why it hasn't caught on more, but it's very convenient.

Yeah, we use LevelUp at work and I'm pleasantly surprised whenevr I go into a restaurant that supports it. I know Boloco, the burrito chain, supports LevelUp, as does Gregory's Coffee chain in New York City. I think I prefer the standard Google Pay / etc over that because it's just another account that I don't want to manage, but the perks are good. I've got $20 in credits right now because it's my bday this week and I hit some threshhold for rewards ($100 or something).

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phone payments aren't really more convenient than using a card, watch payments however are very much so.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
More and more POS kiosks are accepting digital payment which is great. I have one of those micro wallets that is essentially a 20 dollar bill, my id, 1 credit card, and my debit card. Ideally in the next couple of years i may only need my emergency 20 and my ID.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I haven't used the Samsung one (simulating mag stripes is neat, I guess, although it's been years since I've encountered somewhere that uses them) but Google Pay has worked well.

I generally just use my card, as every so many transactions is going to prompt me to enter the chip anyway. Not sure if I can change how often that occurs .

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
If you have multiple accounts, Google Pay or an equivalent is really handy. Yes, I could just get the different cards out of my wallet, but it's much easier to tap my joint account, personal GBP account, business account, or Revolut account in the app and just touch my phone to the reader. Even though I live in the countryside in the UK, contactless payments are everywhere, so I can quite easily leave my house without my wallet these days.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I really wish Samsung Pay's MST tech was available on the Pixel, it's the only thing I feel like I'm missing out on by sticking with Google's phones.

Yep. I like Googles Pay too, but Samsung Pay is a league above all of them by far. Its just flat out accepted everywhere. Its crazy to me Google hasnt copied that yet.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I use Google Pay whenever it is possible. Local shops need to hurry up and upgrade.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any retailer with half a brain for business should be supporting contactless payments. It's the fastest and most secure way to pay, both key items that affect their bottom line.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
One thing I hate about Apple Pay in Canada is the $100 limit. Goddamn annoying. Is it the same in the US?
Thats just in general because of RFID scammers. They can run their leg beside you and rob you of your entire bank account if that limit wasn't in place.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thats just in general because of RFID scammers. They can run their leg beside you and rob you of your entire bank account if that limit wasn't in place.
I do understand it was placed for physical cards that support tap. How will that work on Apple pay? Apple pay is pretty much a chip and pin. It's even more secure than chip and pin, IMO.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love just double clicking the button my apple watch and then just holding it up to pay. It's so convenient. I never got a chance to try Samsung pay but it working with even more stuff is awesome.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I wish more places where I live had it. Surprisingly it's mostly liquor stores. None of my grocery stores have it, and I think Walmart will never get it (Apple Pay).

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I hate about Apple Pay in Canada is the $100 limit. Goddamn annoying. Is it the same in the US?
Depends on the retailer and their systems, contactless limit in the UK is ÂŁ30, but the retailer can choose to support unlimited as long as the transaction is authenticated with biometrics, there are plenty of retailers in the UK that have no limit in place when using Apple Pay.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung Pay has saved me a few times and apart from the tech being superior, I've earn rewards points from using it, which can be applied to Samsung store purchases. When I traded in a phone and bought the S10, they allowed me to apply Samsung Reward points towards the purchase. So that's pretty nice.

When I traveled to the UK, it would nice not needing to purchase a separate transit pass and just use my phone which capped the amount charged at 8 pounds and treated it as a daily pass.

I don't know about this payment method being faster though. Because of this little thing: https://www.amazon.com/FIDELO-Minimalist-Wallet-Men-Vegetable/dp/B07FHYXRWZ/ I can typically get access to my commonly used cards very quickly. Samsung Pay is certainly more safer though.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
when you're paying for public transport and general shopping with your phone, the cards become backup for larger purchases, combine that with a fintech bank account and anything else seems backwards

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm still a cash guy; It helps me keep a proper budget.

But it doesn't matter as I'm one of those unlucky blokes that uses a credit card that isn't supported by smartphone payment features.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Samsung Pay is my iMessage (ie: the main thing that keeps me using Samsung phones, though in general I prefer them now!). It's especially useful since my fiancee and I both have several credit cards to maximize rewards, but only ever carry one backup card just in case since we have all of our cards in Samsung Pay.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
How does that work? You still need to authenticate with Touch ID or Face ID.
I do understand it was placed for physical cards that support tap. How will that work on Apple pay? Apple pay is pretty much a chip and pin. It's even more secure than chip and pin, IMO.
I think because of the way its done it's not a simple just tap behind the scenes it does more then that. It makes you more of a target too because of it.