• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Executives at all Samsung Group units will work six days a week from as early as this week in a shift to emergency mode. The move comes as the won's sharp depreciation, rising oil prices and high borrowing costs aggravate business uncertainties after some of the group's mainstay businesses delivered poorer-than-expected results in 2023.

The executives of Samsung Electronics Co., including those in the manufacturing and sales divisions, will work either on Saturday or Sunday following the regular five-day work week, according to Samsung Group officials.

They will review their business strategies and may modify them to adapt to the changing business environment amid mounting gepolitical risks from the prolonged war between Russia and Ukraine and escalating tensions in the Middle East.

"Considering that performance of our major units, including Samsung Electronics Co., fell short of expectations in 2023, we are introducing the six-day work week for executives to inject a sense of crisis and make all-out efforts to overcome it," said a Samsung Group company executive.

www.kedglobal.com

Samsung shifts to emergency mode with 6-day work week for executives - KED Global

Executives at all Samsung Group units will work six days a week from as early as this week in a shift to emergency mode. The move comes as the won's sharp depr

Close if old.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Surely this isn't going to result in everyone having a 6 day work week.

Definitely not when the Executive thinks they need a report, on a Saturday, that they don't know how to run themselves.

El_Dabrah

Feb 18, 2024
I would love to see what an Executive actually contributes on their extra workday, because I couldn't even tell you what most of them do on a regular work day.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see what an Executive actually contributes on their extra workday, because I couldn't even tell you what most of them do on a regular work day.
Usually sit in an office and find a way to shift any actual responsibilities onto the staff, then occasionally a brief meeting where they decide which of those staff to cut so they can keep their bonus on track has always been my perception

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
And on the very rare occasion that upper managers actually do in-depth management and planning, long hours will achieve literally nothing because the scope is broad and the cognitive load is high. Activities that actively engage conscious thought suffer from extremely diminishing returns on normal 40 hour work weeks as it is.

Hell, it probably achieves less than nothing. It will actively harm productivity.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
So, that's a lot of increased costs due to overtime paid for the highest earners in the company, right? I would really love to see the business case for this. Is Samsung trying to speed run an enshitification?

This measure seems stupid as fuck with no positive side other than a CEO/board power trip.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
This seems like something the board is doing because they figured out they can't just spank the executives.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been a C-suite person but I have been a manager who directly reported to them. For stuff like this, it'll be 6-8 hour blocks going from department to department to beat up on whichever exec is on deck, then pass to the next one. "You failed to hit the plan last year with X, Y, and Z. What are you doing right now to correct that?"

Some of the meetings I've been in were pretty brutal, though thankfully my team always hit our plan so it was never directed at me.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
So, that's a lot of increased costs due to overtime paid for the highest earners in the company, right? I would really love to see the business case for this. Is Samsung trying to speed run an enshitification?

This measure seems stupid as fuck with no positive side other than a CEO/board power trip.
Executives are unlikely to be overtime eligible. They are salaried.

I dunno what they're going to do in the office for an extra day though.

colui

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Great. With all that extra work, they can lay off 20% more people.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
after six months of one extra day a week

"We have come to the conclusion that the best way to increase earnings is to fire 20% of our staff."

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
So that just means one extra day of meetings, which they'll need subordinates to attend as well. Feel bad for the poor sap who's going to get an email on a Saturday afternoon, "I need a dashboard and reports that shows what's going on with our accounts"

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Spreadsheets aren't gonna look at themselves!

And sometimes they gotta come up with new metrics for other people to be yelled at for not hitting.

Also once an executive decided we should sell ornaments with our logo on them. Props to whatever team got that assignment for somehow preventing it from happening.

Oct 26, 2017
That's crazy. Samsung is so big in Korea that this might have a negative ripple effect to other companies.

Edit: On the opposite end of the spectrum I believe Panasonic is still doing a four day work week in Japan.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Have they finally realised executives don't actually do any work in a normal week and have added a day on where they actually do some work for a change?

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I understand creating some kind of emergency plan, trying to brainstorm new ideas,
Have they finally realised executives don't actually do any work in a normal week and have added a day on where they actually do some work for a change?

Like they wouldn't delegate this to their subordinates, lol.