• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
After 14 days the phone theme will revert to stock from the third party free themes. You are only allowed to keep premium themes, which Samsung gets a cut of. Their excuse? Fund our designers only.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/15/18097179/samsung-free-themes-14-day-limit-galaxy-one-ui
Samsung is headed towards a controversial change that impacts customers who like customizing their Galaxy smartphones with third-party themes. The company has begun sending a notification to users that warns beginning with Android 9 Pie, which Samsung plans to launch in January, it will only permit free themes to be used for 14 days. After that, the phone will automatically revert back to Samsung's stock theme. The Verge has confirmed the notification firsthand, after Droid Life and SamMobile reported on it.

Users will receive two pop-up notifications before their free theme is removed; the first will be displayed 24 hours before the 14-day expiration. The second will hit 10 minutes prior to the cutoff. Samsung says it'll "provide suggested themes along with the notifications in order to help you easily change your theme." Presumably, those suggestions will be for premium, paid themes; Samsung gets a cut of those transactions from its Galaxy Store, whereas the company makes nothing from free themes.

Samsung's reasoning for the shift is pretty questionable, to say the least. "We ask for your understanding as we have changed the policy in order to help our designers continue to create high quality products and also to provide stable and satisfactory services for you."
7418BDC7_5611_4C64_94D7_5F35AD80EAE4.jpeg

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
What does this have to do with Android? This is about themes for Touchwiz.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I wish the Pixel 3 was a nicer phone, as this is just one more reason why companies smearing their shit on top of stock Android sucks.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Is this the reason I use ActionLauncher? No, it's because TouchWiz doesn't support landscape orientation. But this is another good reason.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
This is the leading brand of Android phones and is part of its rollout of Android Pie?

Still isn't an Android issue though, it's a Samsung issue. Doesn't have any effect on me and my Pixel 2, for example.

EDIT: Also, the avatar edit from an Apple logo right after making this thread probably not a good look either.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the Pixel 3 was a nicer phone, as this is just one more reason why companies smearing their shit on top of stock Android sucks.

There's also the Android One initiative, some decent phones are popping up there, hopefully more will follow.

The custom Android bloatware from the phone producers need to go to hell.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That's nuts.

As others have said, this is on Samsung not the OS as a whole.

Nova Launcher devs about to see a whole lot of cash coming their way.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like an anti-competitive practice that will get backtracked on real fast if enough people balk at it.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Samsung continues to be garbage. My resolve never to buy anything other than a stock android phone remains strong.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Themes was one advantage Samsung had over other Android OEMs, but getting rid of free themes effectively erases that one advantage.

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
Man, Samsung just gets worse and worse with their software shit. The hardware is good, but I don't think the trade-off will be worth it for future phones.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung has some great phones so this is disappointing. I'm sure the community will have a workaround tho... but this shouldn't happen imo.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is a point of a free theme then if they only last 14 days?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy Samsung. Fortunately you got tons of great options if you want to use Android.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As long as I can use either of my third party launchers they can do whatever they want, they aren't taking a cent from me with this horse shit lmao.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy Samsung. Fortunately you got tons of great options if you want to use Android.

Can you tell me what phone option I have if I want no notch, minimal bezel, headphone jack, top tier level camera, expandable memory, and an extra button to map back and home to?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
"rooting" for smartphone OS wars brigadier generals on this forum smh. Not rooting for anyone but would find it funny if he posted a ton of anti-Android threads for the next two weeks.
Yeah, it would be funny.

Did you know? BAD was juniored on GAF

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Uh, what? What the fuck business is it of theirs if I want to use a third party theme? Damn and I just bought a new Galaxy like two months ago.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the most "thought up in a corporate boardroom" decision ever. Hilarious.

Thankfully the Android scene should tear them a new asshole over this unlike other companies who need defended at all costs.

Also thankfully the android dev scene will have this stopped instantly. Shame for Americans with the shitty locked bootloaders on Samsung devices.