• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Title is better now, but still somewhat misleading, as this only seems to pertain to themes developed with Touchwiz and sold through the Galaxy Store.

Pretty sure this is referring to free themes acquired from the Samsung theme store.
It is, and why I said this isn't even really a problem for Samsung users, because the option to use custom launchers and themes still exists through other stores. This is a people-who-actually-use-the-Galaxy-Store problem.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ehh.

Touchwiz UI is pretty much like internet explorer for me. I only use it while im downloading nova launcher.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks, I've gone through a few fun 8-bit free Touchwiz themes. They apply to several apps, like the text message and contacts apps. I wouldn't mind paying for a good theme, but having to go through yet another digital store kinda puts it over the edge for me.

On the plus side my phone is a Galaxy edge s7, so chances of me getting this update are pretty close to zero. :/

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm satisfied with the title now.

90f.png

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018
They ditched Touchwiz back in 2016. Samsung Experience is the current UI and will be replaced with One UI when 9.0 drops.

The current UI is so much better then Touchwiz it's not even funny. It's usuable for one. I despised Touchwiz so much that I refused to buy a Samsung phone (as much as I wanted a Note for the S-pen).
Thanks for the link. Didn't know about this.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I guess Samsung didn't want Apple to have all the fun with their terrible moves this week and they want in on the fun

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I've never used a theme, what is the main reason people use them? I just have a wallpaper.

I use a theme called Swift Installer because I hate the glaring, blinding white that Google and Samsung seem to think we need. It allows me to turn pretty much the entire OS dark and includes a ton of 3rd party apps that other themes don't.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Samsung phone, didn't know it had themes because the first thing I did was get rid of all of Samsung's bullshit add-ons and change to stock.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a non-issue to me. As far as I know, themes is just changing crap like Fonts and icons. You can easily use another launcher (like Nova Launcher) from the Play store or the various themes on the Play store. I never bother with this crap anyway, as the only thing important to me is changing stuff like backgrounds, ringtones/notifications, etc which this doesn't affect.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a non-issue to me. As far as I know, themes is just changing crap like Fonts and icons. You can easily use another launcher (like Nova Launcher) from the Play store or the various themes on the Play store. I never bother with this crap anyway, as the only thing important to me is changing stuff like backgrounds, ringtones/notifications, etc which this doesn't affect.
This affects visuals that can't be changed by the launcher like Nova Launcher.

Nov 8, 2017
I just got a Galaxy A8 last week. Does this mean the free theme I applied will be reset to the default theme in January? 'cause I really like the theme I chose and fuck Samsung if that's what they're doing.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This affects visuals that can't be changed by the launcher like Nova Launcher.
I believe Nova launcher lets you change icons and many other aspects, but you are right with fonts, looks like paid fonts will be the only way in the future for Samsung phones other than a couple of lame freebies. It's a stupid decision overall by Samsung management, but I think the majority of people wont care as long as you can personalize the basic aspects of the phone without it going back to defaults in 14 days. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung even fails at that.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
At the moment it is perfectly possible to install a free theme on a Samsung device via sideloaded APK, so I don't think this will stop access to free themes, but it just reduces the security of doing so. So yeah, cheers for that Samsung.

(Though I'm not sure this will end up being anything more than a very badly translated message about trials in the end).

Also, lol at anyone saying this is a reason not to buy a Samsung vs all those other OEMs who block user access to RRO entirely such as Google...

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I would never ever pay for a fucking theme. Ridiculous, but then again, I have an Iphone.

negreenfield

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks for me. I use free themes often. I used Nova for years on all my other devices but there a few deal breakers Nova can't do that have me back on Samsung launcher...

I saw that yesterday and for some reason it didn't quite sink in until this thread...

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Sucks for me. I use free themes often. I used Nova for years on all my other devices but there a few deal breakers Nova can't do that have me back on Samsung launcher...

I saw that yesterday and for some reason it didn't quite sink in until this thread...
I'm sure the people over at XDA will have an easy way to deactivate the 14 day timer very quickly.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I would never ever pay for a fucking theme. Ridiculous, but then again, I have an Iphone.
Ok...? It's not like themes are super easy to make. It's pretty hard actually. Graphic artists put hard work into these making them look good. Nothing wrong with paying for themes you really like.

Not saying what Samsung is doing is good. It's pretty damn stupid in fact. Also not saying you have to buy anything either. It's just your reply rubbed me the wrong way.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Does Apple even support custom themes yet, or do users still need to jailbreak their phones and sideload them?

Im not trying to make this an Iphone vs Samsung/Android thing at all. I would feel the same if Apple had/would go the same route regarding themes.

Ok...? It's not like themes are super easy to make. It's pretty hard actually. Graphic artists put hard work into these making them look good. Nothing wrong with paying for themes you really like.

Not saying what Samsung is doing is good. It's pretty damn stupid in fact. Also not saying you have to buy anything either. It's just your reply rubbed me the wrong way.

I agree with you that artist should be getting payed for their work of creating themes,, especially unofficial ones and Im not saying its easy to create themes. What I meant is, that these themes coming from Samsung are official ones right? If I pay 800-1000 dollars for a Samsung phone, I'd argue that a package of themes should be included.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I'm just saying that it's probably easy to pretend that paying $2 for someone's work is beneath you when the option to do that isn't available to you.

I don't appreciate words that I haven't said being twisted to fit your narrative. Mind you, I work as a graphic designer/frontender myself, it still doesn't change that I would want to pay extra for official themes that should be included for free when buying a 800-1000 dollar phone. As I mentioned in an earlier post, unofficial themes? Sure, definitely the artist should get payed for its work. Just saying.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Im not trying to make this an Iphone vs Samsung/Android thing at all. I would feel the same if Apple had/would go the same route regarding themes.

It's very tenuous to say no themes are better than paid themes.

I agree with you that artist should be getting payed for their work of creating themes,, especially unofficial ones and Im not saying its easy to create themes. What I meant is, that these themes coming from Samsung are official ones right? If I pay 800-1000 dollars for a Samsung phone, I'd argue that a package of themes should be included.

No, they're themes created by third parties sold via Samsung's Theme store, much like App Store apps.

Samsung's own themes are already baked into the OS and unaffected.

Edit: there are a few Samsung official themes in it's store, but like 0.0001% of them. And we don't even know if they'll be genuinely affected.

Nov 8, 2017
Since it is not clear, will there be any way to use a free theme permanently? e.g. After 14 days, I can pay something to keep the free theme? I mean, what if I happen to prefer a free theme over any of the paid ones, do I have no option to use it beyond 14 days?

This doesn't seem well thought out at all.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
LOL a notch fan. Yeah, nothing more enjoyable than the removal of screen real estate on top and the shrinking of video playback that occurs due to the new aspect ratio brought about by stretching the phone up without also making it wider.
The notch is extra space not less. It's fine. You obviously have issues with android vs iPhone if you think notch is some terrible thing. It's more screen real estate not less.