• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
"I mean that's like saying Bugs Bunny ain't funny. Films are films. Everybody doesn't like his stuff either," Jackson told Variety's Angelique Jackson at the grand opening of Tyler Perry's new studio in Atlanta, Ga. "There are a lot of Italian-Americans that don't think he should be making films about them like that. Everybody's got an opinion, so I mean it's okay. Ain't going to stop nobody from making movies."
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/samuel-l-jackson-martin-scorseses-marvel-1203360546/

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Scorcese's comment really wasn't that noteworthy that the entertainment media has to run to every damn Marvel actor and ask them what they think about that.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Scorsese's response
[Mod Edit: Spoiler'ed a graphic image]

tumblr_o05785QcXl1s01qkyo1_540.gifv

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Stax Edwards geting in on the action.

I agree with Scorcese on this one. Someone has to say it. Superhero movies are ok I guess. Marvel universe has zero appeal to me. They're not quality cinema. IMO.

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I eat the pussy, I eat the butt, I eat every motherfuckin' thang."

He's right.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet. I love to pick on Marvel films (even though I enjoy them), and I love Scorsese, but I really dislike comments like his. That gets into Ebert "video games are not art" territory.

SLJ stayin the realest

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Martin can have whatever opinion he wants. Doesn't change for a minute what Marvel movies are (exactly what he said they were).

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I like Marvel movies but Scorsese wasn't exactly wrong with what he said. One is appealing towards mass consumption and the other is about making a statement through art.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Scorcese's done so much for preservation and distribution of film that's not getting the spotlight it deserves, or old film, for getting movies out there to be seen. He's championed unheralded filmmakers, old canon, regions outside the Eurocentrist purview.

Disney has on the other hand lately done everything in their power to stop these movies from being seen, from giving theaters and places that show films and grow film interest an opportunity to keep the legacy of film going.

Still he's getting piled on by chucklefuck MCU fans for saying he doesn't care about their blockbusters. Try to have some perspective. Welcome dissenting opinions on monolith studio franchises.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Should've used this one, OP
tenor.gif

Yeah, like in Black Panther's case. I wouldn't say the same for most of them though.
Fair, but also Scorsese didn't see Black Panther iirc so it kinda sours his opinion a little. The movies may not all have a message to tell through their plot but their characters certainly do.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Scorcese's done so much for preservation and distribution of film that's not getting the spotlight it deserves, or old film, for getting movies out there to be seen. He's championed unheralded filmmakers, old canon, regions outside the Eurocentrist purview. Disney has on the other hand lately done everything in their power to stop these movies from being seen, from giving theaters and places that show films and grow film interest an opportunity to keep the legacy of film going.

Still he's getting piled on by chucklefuck MCU fans for saying he doesn't care about their blockbusters. Try to have some perspective. Welcome dissenting opinions on monolith studio franchises.

Yep completely agree with this post. People need to look at what Scorsese's done for world cinema and classic cinema before going all scorched earth on him for gatekeeping on MCU films.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I like Marvel movies but Scorsese wasn't exactly wrong with what he said. One is appealing towards mass consumption and the other is about making a statement through art.

Nah it was just gatekeeping bullshit. I'm sure there are indie filmmakers that would call Scorsese a sellout for making big films with big stars that are about very popular and titillating subjects like the Mafia. Only productions that appeal to narrow audiences are "films." It's complete and utter nonsense. He doesn't like the movies and should have just left it at that.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Nah it was just gatekeeping bullshit. I'm sure there are indie filmmakers that would call Scorsese a sellout for making big films with big stars that are about very popular and titillating subjects like the Mafia. Only productions that appeal to narrow audiences are "films." It's complete and utter nonsense. He doesn't like the movies and should have just left it at that.

Gatekeeping my ass, who the hell is he keeping away from the biggest media franchise in the world? He's small fry in comparison. Try not to be so sensitive when artists in the field have different opinions about multi-billion dollar movies.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Gatekeeping my ass, who the hell is he keeping away from the biggest media franchise in the world? He's small fry in comparison. Try not to be so sensitive when artists in the field have different opinions about multi-billion dollar movies.

It's gatekeeping not because he's stopping people from seeing the movie but he's gatekeeping by trying to separate movies like MCU films from the rest of movies in a bid to make them seem lesser. He believes them being considered, "cinema" tarnishes the name of cinema.

So. Gatekeeping.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Yep completely agree with this post. People need to look at what Scorsese's done for world cinema and classic cinema before going all scorched earth on him for gatekeeping on MCU films.
why not both? not saying going scorched earth is the way to go, but we can laud him for his work in film preservation, but also call bullshit on his gatekeeping in a manner more dignified than name calling.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

He's gatekeeping because in his opinion these movies aren't worthy of being called cinema by his own standards, like when people try to say that Smash isn't a real fighting game.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

Oh the "try not to be so sensitive" bit. Try to stay within the confines of the discussion without personal attacks. They are films end of story. He has a self serving definition of what a "film" is and I don't adhere to that.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty nothing statement from Jackson here. Which I don't blame him for, Scorsese didn't say anything that wrong.