• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
LXBy4W4.jpg

Hi and welcome to the Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru OT. Here you will be able to discuss Masashi Kishimoto newest series Samurai 8. With Naruto being one of my all time favourite series and a fan of the sci-fi genre, I am really looking forward to this manga and hope this turns out well.

Synopsis

"He can't run! He can't eat hard food. You can't get any weaker than the boy named Hachimaru. But his dream is to become a samurai. For a boy who can't even survive without the help of his father, that dream seemed impossible. But when a samurai cat appears before him, his whole life will change! A legendary manga creator and a rising star come together to bring you this science fiction samurai epic!"
Story by Masashi Kishimoto, Art by Akira Okubo

Characters

Hacimaru

A weak child who's needed medical assistance since birth. His dream is to become a samurai.

Daruma

Also known as the Wandering Lone Wolf, is a samurai and top apprentice of the great Yasha and second-generation head of the Kongo-Yasha Style. For unknown reasons, he is blind and also ended up in a robot cat body.

Ann

latest

An apprentice princess to Hachimaru. Princesses work alongside a Samurai and its Holder to protect the galaxy.

Ata

A samurai who was looking for the 8th child, Hachimaru. Ata used to be Daruma's top disciple and the member of the Kongo-Yasha Style school.

FAQ

What is this?

Samurai 8 is a shonen Sci-fi manga from Masashi Kishimoto, the creator of Boruto and its prequel, Naruto. Published every week in the Weekly Shonen Jump.

Wait, who is Akira Okubo and why isn't Kishimoto the artist?
Unlike in Naruto, Kishimoto will only be the author for this manga, he does the original storyboarding and composition,but the drawing will be done by Akira Okubo, who used to be Kishimoto's assistant for Naruto for nine years.

So Kishimoto is writing, awesome!!! I really loved the build-up to the reveal of Kaguya in Naruto and that black Zetsu was behind all of it it and how Tenten was going to use the…
In Naruto, Kishimoto said that when he started Naruto he planned out the story for the first 8 chapters. Now he said: "This time, we've decided on everything through to the end."

When can I read it?
Starting Sunday, May 12, you will be able to officially read Samurai 8 weekly on Viz/MangaPlus. Unofficially, you will be to read it usually every Friday.

Rules

• Do not post scans, link scans, or name the site!
  • Spoiler tag all discussion involving unreleased chapters(including reaction)
  • If you post fan art, please provide a source.
  • Love and Respect.

Where to read

Mangaplus (everywhere ex. Japan)
Viz (English speaking territories)

Other information
Official Website
Twitter
Interview with Kishimoto.

Last edited:

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
So Kishimoto is writing, awesome!!! I really loved the build-up to the reveal of Kaguya in Naruto and that black Zetsu was behind all of it it and how Tenten was going to use the…
In Naruto, Kishimoto said that when he started Naruto he planned out the story for the first 8 chapters. Now he said: "This time, we've decided on everything through to the end."

lol

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
first chapter is out, looks interesting

EDIT: deleted link to chap

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017
This feels like something you need to read on paper, in tankoubon format, with how hard to follow the action is.

Otherwise, I really like the setup and the world!

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Some of these panels are a bit too busy for their own good. I'll stick through it just to see how it goes though.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it up yet on the US Jump app, but still just the 0.1 teaser chapter. It says they'll have more on the 12th though.

Looking forward to see what they can do with some pre-planning.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
A lot was shown in the fights but it looks promising. Just hoping Kishimoto can learn and improve from a writing standpoint considering Naruto went asspull after asspull towards the end of the manga.

Considering the lore is about scifi Samurai, I wouldn't be surprised if this takes place eons after Boruto.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Read the chapter.

Add me to thoese that had issues following the combat and some other vignettes, i think this is also because it's kind of hard to distinguish the shapes of things as stuff gets de-composed and remodeled all the time, think of the robot-animals.

Still, im super sold on the concept.
The setting is so, so unique and unlike anything else in current manga, especially a fucking full fledged galaxy sci-fi with traditional japanese elements.

The artsyle is also very cool, while the characters are of course Kishimoto-esque, the art direction for the world reminds me more of western graphic novels like Moebius. Also props for having a POC after only 3 pages, and the protagonist for being an actually sick person, that's some diversity alright.

C'mon Kishi, Naruto was one of the definitive discoveries of my early teenagehood, and i really want a classic shonen in a cool original setting, i have a lot of faith in you.

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping this would be kind of return to form for Kishi art wise after he had some time off after Naruto. This really reminds me of why I didn't like later Naruto from an art stand point. Everything is just way too busy, and it's hard to follow. Thought the premise was neat though, so I'm going to stick it out, but I was really hoping to enjoy this more then I did

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
I was hoping this would be kind of return to form for Kishi art wise after he had some time off after Naruto. This really reminds me of why I didn't like later Naruto from an art stand point. Everything is just way too busy, and it's hard to follow. Thought the premise was neat though, so I'm going to stick it out, but I was really hoping to enjoy this more then I did
Kishi isn't doing the art.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Been looking forward to this. So, space traveling cyborg samurai? this is already pretty bonkers, but I dig it.

Too bad Kishi isn't doing the art but it still looks pretty good, sometimes it's hard to follow what's happening though. The clarity and paneling of the action needs some improvement.

I'm still a little confused on how everything in this world works, hopefully it will start to make more sense soon. Not as good of a start as Naruto I'd say, but I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Il probably wait until the digital release of the first volume to get started with this. Hopefully it's good!

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Eh....That was embarrassing to read. Felt like a 12-year old's self-insert fan-fiction. Literally, it begins with him role-playing in a video-game, and then ends with him re-enacting the video-game after getting a miraculous power-up that fixes all his life's problems. Meanwhile, everything in the plot is ridiculously contrived. On top of that, we have some one-piece level of melodrama and people crying.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Eh....That was embarrassing to read. Felt like a 12-year old's self-insert fan-fiction. Literally, it begins with him role-playing in a video-game, and then ends with him re-enacting the video-game after getting a miraculous power-up that fixes all his life's problems. Meanwhile, everything in the plot is ridiculously contrived. On top of that, we have some one-piece level of melodrama and people crying.
Not to insult you, but do you not read much manga? Nothing in this really stood out to me as especially egregious. >_>

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Not to insult you, but do you not read much manga? Nothing in this really stood out to me as especially egregious. >_>
Not too much at the moment, no. A lot of manga is absolutely terrible. At the moment, I'm only really following one or two manga, with another 2 or 3 that I kinda read/skim over because they pop up in my feed and I need something to do while I wake up in the morning.

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
Not too much at the moment, no. A lot of manga is absolutely terrible. At the moment, I'm only really following one or two manga, with another 2 or 3 that I kinda read/skim over because they pop up in my feed and I need something to do while I wake up in the morning.
Yeah, because I was going to say, A LOT of the most popular manga series are targeted towards children specifically. It makes sense that it's 12 year old wish fulfillment.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, because I was going to say, A LOT of the most popular manga series are targeted towards children specifically. It makes sense that it's 12 year old wish fulfillment.
But there's a lot of manga out there, just not 12-year old wish fulfillment.

And this was particularly blatant and bad. I mean, most media usually has some cavet or message about wish fulfillment, such as hard-work, etc. Naruto was like that, for example. This is the most blatant, poorly written, fulfillment fantasy I've ever seen. Reading this made me feel embarrassed and dirty.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I like the general artstyle/aesthetic. It is kishi-esque, which makes sense since the artist has worked with Kishi on Naruto for a long time. I do agree with the critisims with some of the drawings though, but hte general aesthetic is great. Love the underwater look that space has in those colored pages.

It seems to mirror Naruto's first chapter minus the videogame part.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I like the general artstyle/aesthetic. It is kishi-esque, which makes sense since the artist has worked with Kishi on Naruto for a long time. I do agree with the critisims with some of the drawings though, but hte general aesthetic is great. Love the underwater look that space has in those colored pages.

It seems to mirror Naruto's first chapter minus the videogame part.
The video game part was much of what made it so bad. Literally, "Hey I played this video game, so now I'm going to imitate this cool character now and succeed." Eck.

While Naruto's 1st chapter is pretty dodgy as well, Naruto actually a trained warrior who's whole virtue was being able to put in the training. It established the whole "You need to work hard to achieve your dreams" theme quite well, even if the rest of the writing was bad. This comic has what's basically a shut-in nerd being handed him a changeling fantasy on a silver platter. (Yes, he did have to idiotically 'stab himself,' but that was ultimately a single grandiose gesture that was forced by the plot, and his reward is everything he ever wanted, which works into the really blatant wish-fulfillment angle.)

StoryofSouls

Oct 27, 2017
east coast, usa
i like it. i try not to get too deep into shounen. i take it at face value.

i really like that we're going to space in this one, and that the combat will be with swords. swords in space is NEVER a bad combo.

hope the story has a lot of heart and soul, first chapter is a good indicator that it will.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
The video game part was much of what made it so bad. Literally, "Hey I played this video game, so now I'm going to imitate this cool character now and succeed." Eck.

While Naruto's 1st chapter is pretty dodgy as well, Naruto actually a trained warrior who's whole virtue was being able to put in the training. It established the whole "You need to work hard to achieve your dreams" theme quite well, even if the rest of the writing was bad. This comic has what's basically a shut-in nerd being handed him a changeling fantasy on a silver platter. (Yes, he did have to idiotically 'stab himself,' but that was ultimately a single grandiose gesture that was forced by the plot, and his reward is everything he ever wanted, which works into the really blatant wish-fulfillment angle.)

From how I understood it, the game was a training grounds and the experience he gained in the game, he got irl after stabbing himself. He turned his robot dog into his video game dog which is why I assume this. Don't know how those mechanics work, not sure if it was explained in this chapter or if it will be clarified in another.

I was surprised he was actually able to beat that guy still though, but I assume he's just a small fry like Mizuki. Previously I assumed the villain dude here would be a bigger character because there was artwork of him revealed a long time ago.

I just hope this just encourage kids to try to kill themselves smh.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Excited to check this out. Bummer that Kishi isn't doing the art, but the artstyle is far more Kishi-esque than Boruto.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Little hard to follow but I'm into it. Caught a lot more on a second read. Some complicated world building but a pretty interesting foundation, Kishimoto's clearly going hog-wild with a ton of stuff he's had rattling around in his head for ages.

Will Read.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The... currently available translation is pretty bad, so many absolute-nonsense sentences. I'll try re-reading it tomorrow when the more official translation is out and stick with that from now on if I like it. I can only assume it was either:
A) Done by someone who isn't a native English speaker, in which case I can't be mad at them.
B) But given the desire to translate Fudo Myo-o as Acala in a goddamn SAMURAI manga, I can only assume it's someone who is an absolute stickler for "direct translation only, no localization-at-all period" which always, always, always, ALWAYS ruins any Japanese-to-English script.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's the first chapter of a shonen manga. They are always rough.
And keep your expectations in check, don't forget who is the primary target audience of this. It was basically naruto first chapters in a different packaging.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's ok. Art is definitely super hard to follow, but honestly even if Kishinev were doing the art himself i'm Not sure how much better it's be Since plenty of late Naruto fights were also really hard to follow

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
It's the first chapter of a shonen manga. They are always rough.
And keep your expectations in check, don't forget who is the primary target audience of this. It was basically naruto first chapters in a different packaging.
Oh sure; I forgot that this even existed until the fan-translation pop'ed up. I'm not judging this like fine literature. I'm just criticizing it because I think it's bad, even given it's target audience.

But you're right; 1st chapters of Shonens are often bad. Heck, for Black Butler the first several years were terrible.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Kind of finding it hard to follow the designs of the armor. It's Kind of cool and disjointed because its being formed out if the air. Once I see a colored version of it I'll probably be able to follow it better

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of concepts were tossed at us immediately and made it hard to follow a bit. It could be good, but I'll keep my expectations in check. Naruto's endgame soured me on Kishi's writing chops.

EPaul

Oct 30, 2017
Decent first chapter actually compared to alot other manga's first chapter this was good.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I'd say it was okay, but the overtly-busy art/world-building excess diluted my impressions into indifference. I couldn't follow that fight scene and
Hachimaru's revival
at all.

Granted, I was expecting as much given how Naruto Part II devolved, but I already didn't care for Chainsaw Man or Jujutsu Kaisen and between those two and Black Clover, I'd rather not another mediocre action series clog up Jump.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
The art is absolutely gorgeous, but without more toning or color I could see it being hard for some folks to follow. Wasn't a problem for me though.

The story hits all the familiar beats but I think it's off beat enough that it could still be interesting.

OP
OP
PhantomKnight

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Viz chapter is out.

A good start, the art is good but as others have mentioned already, some panels can get quite busy making it hard to follow. Besides that I like the setting, I would need to re-read it to get a full grasp of what happened, but looking forward to more.

Kudos for having a black character at the start.