• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's confusing to follow at times. interesting premise though. Wonder if they will delve into what is self and other cyberpunk themes.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still not sure I fully get it. It's fine though, I'm more interested in where this goes than how it starts.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Ooh, lovely banner at the top there.

Anyways, read the first chapter. I like it! It's pretty interesting and I'm on board for this. I like the art for the most part, my only problem is with the lack of screen tones which results in a lot of scenes looking like they're simply line art. Hopefully, as the manga progresses, Okubo will use screen tones more to better define his subjects and environments. That said, I really like the overall look and style of the characters. Okubo was Kishimoto's assistant so I'm not surprised some of the designs remind me a little bit of Kishimoto's work. That, and the fact that they're working on this manga together.

One thing I don't like is that Hachimaru feels a bit too special even for the usual "special shonen protagonist" trope. If they explain his sudden skill with a blade as being a result of his new samurai body then I would be disappointed. If they say it's because of all his VR training, then I'd be disappointed too. I can't see an outcome where I'm not disappointed, but ehh. It's fine. Ish.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Its....

Got too much going on in the first chapter. Too much terminology. The art isn't clear on whats even happening. A manga shouldn't need to be colorized to explain whats going on. I'm so lost. World building in a manga should be slow and gradual. C'mon, Kishimoto.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
the reread yesterday through official channels was so much better. easier to understand and visually much easier to see what was going on. here's hoping when they do adapt this into an anime it's well well well into the story. it's a pipe dream i know

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
the reread yesterday through official channels was so much better. easier to understand and visually much easier to see what was going on. here's hoping when they do adapt this into an anime it's well well well into the story. it's a pipe dream i know

Agreed honestly if i wasn't so inpatient i would probably just stick with reading the official release. scanlations are super smudged and washed out and don't do the art justice, plus the translation is much more straightforward and easy to under stand

Tegami

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved the first chapter! I didn't have any problem following along on my laptop and I really love the designs of the world and those who inhabit it. The worldbuilding kind of leaned on the heavy side, but the characters were still able to shine through with their personalities. My only honest complaint is that I would have liked for there to have been more interactions between Hachi and his dad to really drive home their bond. Not so much for the dad's sake, but for Hachi's. The dad's actions throughout the chapter really drives home how much he's dedicated to his son's wellbeing. However, I would have liked to have seen more of Hachi caring about his dad or just having a fun time in his company before their conversation turned sour. But all in all I really loved the chapter and I can't wait for more!

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Its....

Got too much going on in the first chapter. Too much terminology. The art isn't clear on whats even happening. A manga shouldn't need to be colorized to explain whats going on. I'm so lost. World building in a manga should be slow and gradual. C'mon, Kishimoto.

But he loves his dad DAMNIT

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I find some early Naruto choreography to be pretty confusing in the manga as well. Not as often though

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Free on Manga Plus so that's great ! I'm still unsure how this amazing app is legit and available in my country hah.

Few thoughts :

- I think for a first timer, the art is actually really good.
It can ( and will ) be improved over time but that's not a bad start. He does a good job at emulating kishimoto too.

- The story doesnt explain its concepts in compelling ways.
It seems a bit bland and generic at the moment.
I still have no idea what is the quest the hero is on. Getting... keys ?

So basically I feel the opposite of what I expected. I didnt think the art would be this solid ( despite some issues ) and i thought the story and world would be a lot more interesting...

I'll check out a few more chapters though.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
Free on Manga Plus so that's great ! I'm still unsure how this amazing app is legit and available in my country hah.

Few thoughts :

- I think for a first timer, the art is actually really good.
It can ( and will ) be improved over time but that's not a bad start. He does a good job at emulating kishimoto too.

- The story doesnt explain its concepts in compelling ways.
It seems a bit bland and generic at the moment.
I still have no idea what is the quest the hero is on. Getting... keys ?

So basically I feel the opposite of what I expected. I didnt think the art would be this solid ( despite some issues ) and i thought the story and world would be a lot more interesting...

I'll check out a few more chapters though.

Not sure why people keep going on about the story not "explaining" things. This is the first chapter, yes there is a lot of terminology but What i think Kishi is doing is just name dropping some of these things to establish that "its a thing" in this world and will go into further detail as these things become relevant to the story.

And yes Hachimaru is going to go on a quest to find seven keys to open pandora's box that's was clear as day , no idea how someone could be confused about that.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck? Commit suppuku and become a samurai? I hope the kids reading this won't be stupid. What was Shueisha editorial thinking? Neat concept though even tough a bit much convoluted.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
What the fuck? Commit suppuku and become a samurai? I hope the kids reading this won't be stupid. What was Shueisha editorial thinking? Neat concept though even tough a bit much convoluted.
I don't know if that's a concern. Like.. Did Persona 5 have any consequences?
I get that worry as a gut reaction, just not sure if it's rational

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked this chapter, but I was disappointed when our protagonist got a new body. I hope S8 continues to touch on Hachimaru's physical limitations/sickness and doesn't give him a new able-body for free. It seems like that would be huge source of long-term drama and character development.

It reminded me of MHA giving Deku a superpower very quickly. It would be cool to have some representation of people with disabilities and a shonen-lead who isn't the stereotypical fighter archetype.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Dug the first chapter. Really like the design of the characters and the world. The story itself wasn't that hard to follow (with the Viz translation), but visually it is pretty busy and might take some time to get used to. Definitely a promising start though.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally read it. Very busy at times, and it was quite confusing having so much terminology thrown my way.

Kid seems nice enough, though yea, it's a little silly seeing his disability issues get perfectly fixed in the very first chapter. Anyways, guess I'll keep reading for now.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Yeah, the art can be a bit messy at times what with the Moebius-like aesthetic, how busy it is and the lack of contrast.

But I really like it despite all of that, much more than late Naruto which I disliked in that front too: the world is very beautiful and comfy and the character design is cool and flexible. Really like the black woman, as well as the Wolf Samurai in his human form. the MC is just your typical shonen kid which is kinda boring to me as a concept, but the design is honestly good and he seems nice.

The concept of pulling armour and such using that floating energy thing out of your familiar pet is a really fun concept (the battle at the beginning with the Samurai pulling pieces of their armour out of thin air is such a cool imagery) and some of these lore elements seem promising (although maybe a bit too much for the first chapter).

I assume we're going to get about 7 (6? It's been a while since I last read it, don't know if Daruma counts) more Samurai, which I hope means that the main guys' party is going to be around that number: neither too small (so that it doesn't get boring), nor too big (so that characters other than the MC aren't forgotten like in Naruto.)

Don't fuck this up, Kishimoto!

PS: I know he's in charge of the writing, but I'm curious: is he also a designer? I imagine he'd like to design a few if not most of the important characters, like Hachimoto and all of that.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
read it yesterday
the samurai soul/key/locker ball/katana system is too confusing so i didn't really enjoy it

OP
OP
PhantomKnight

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
PS: I know he's in charge of the writing, but I'm curious: is he also a designer? I imagine he'd like to design a few if not most of the important characters, like Hachimoto and all of that.
I assume Kishimoto designed the characters, and will still be doing so in the future( in collaboration with Okubo). He does the original storyboarding of this as well so he does more than just write. Okubo does the final illustration.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Here's what seems to be Kishimoto's current studio btw:
3TId7An.jpg

I assume Kishimoto designed the characters, and will still be doing so in the future( in collaboration with Okubo). He does the original storyboarding of this as well so he does more than just write. Okubo does the final illustration.
Makes sense! I was actually wondering about him maybe storyboarding it.

He must have such a different time now that he's not the main artist. No doubt still stressful and exhausting (that's weekly manga for you), but still.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
what are the odds that he randomly crashes into the house of the #2 player. #2 out of the whole universe. Cmon KISHI

I liked this chapter a lot more than the first

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
There's another chapter? I thought it was a monthly manga?

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Loved the second chapter, it's pure Kishimoto cheesy stuff lol
The world so far looks really interesting too, with some cool characters and weird stuff, can't wait to read the next chapter :D

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Oh really? I could have sworn it was monthly. That's pretty surprising. Considering how dense the art is, I wonder if they can keep that up weekly.
Kishimoto is doing the writing, storyboards, and many of the designs. So Okubo is doing the final art. And then add in however many assistants they have, and it shouldn't be too bad (though of course it's still that weekly grind).

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the second chapter a lot more. I'm a bit nervous about what's going on with the gender of this new character though. Manga doesn't really have the best track record at handling stuff like that.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But there's a lot of manga out there, just not 12-year old wish fulfillment.

And this was particularly blatant and bad. I mean, most media usually has some cavet or message about wish fulfillment, such as hard-work, etc. Naruto was like that, for example. This is the most blatant, poorly written, fulfillment fantasy I've ever seen. Reading this made me feel embarrassed and dirty.
How do you feel about My Hero...

OP
OP
PhantomKnight

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I liked this chapter, nice cover page. Was easier to follow than the last chapter. I enjoyed the interaction between Hachimaru and Nanashi, and seeing some of the world was cool.
Kishimoto said he would do the explaining in later chapters, but I wished he did a little this chapter. Also don't know how I feel about Hachimaru basically being cured, hopefully, they address this somehow.