• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: The online mode is "a possibility", not confirmed... I'm sorry about that, but check what the CM says on 2:36:48 on the Twitch video, there is still a chance.

Samurai Shodown, the reboot that is available on PS4 (and... Stadia, heh) will be release on Switch soon, and as an exclusive its coming with the legendary Samurai Shodown! 2 for Neo Geo Pocket Color. Originally released on the SNK handheld in 1999, this is the first time the game has a port... in fact as far as I know this is the first time a Neo Geo Pocket title has a port (I could be wrong).

This was confirmed on Twitch by the SNK community manager.

samuraishodow-switchngpc.jpg

But not only that: the game has local play, all made by Code Mystics. This is practically a NGPC cable link emulation, in fact when you play on local, the character screen is divided into two screens and when the fight starts, it goes to one again... it's kinda cool.

1.png

2.png

It seems this will be exclusive to the Switch version, with no update to the PS4 version. Still no PC version... in fact it seems that the ""PC version"" is officially the Stadia one for SNK, and that fucking sucks... I still don't lose hope though.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
My god. SNK and Code Mystics needs to do a full NeoGeo Pocket Color Collection using this emu asap.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Port KOFR2 over next. It's secretly a portable version of KOF98.

Then work with capcom and port over SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Millenium

And work with Sega to bring over Sonic Pocket Adventure

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow! They really gone all out on this port, hopefully it leads to more NGP ports.
It seems this will be exclusive to the Switch version, with no update to the PS4 version. Still no PC version... in fact it seems that the ""PC version"" is officially the Stadia one for SNK, and that fucking sucks... I still don't lose hope though.
The western release of the Switch version and the actual PC version seems like it was delayed thanks to Stadia, so yeah...

OP
OP
Hayama Akito

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Did you watch the stream or are you going off screenshots? The community manager pretty clearly stated no online play in this clip:

I apologize for this, I saw part of it but on all the streaming. As far as I understand he said in the beginning it was part of Code Mystics plan...

BUT, on 2:36:37, he exactly says: "If this is one of those things that you guys actually like we can add... ammm... you know, maybe some support... ONLINE, maybe, and you can play it online" and in 2:37:20 "it is something we can do because the fine folks (...) Code Mystics did an amazing job, so if you really enjoy it... imagine the possibilities". So I guess this is still a chance.

I'm sorry, I will rename the thread.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
No problem, I thought maybe I missed something.

I sincerely doubt online play will ever happen as I don't think these games command enough attention to justify it, but it would be neat.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just think it's funny that of all things the neogeo pocket game gets online play and not the arcade ports.

I'd imagine this is because of how the NGPC link cable works. It's dead simple, it's just a linear serial connection, it sends data one bit at a time, through a standard tx/rx protocol. That sort of stuff is incredibly easy to route over the internet.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
This has been known for months. Is why I still haven't bought it elsewhere. :p

EDIT:
The game is also on Xbox One ; since the OP forgot to mention it (only mentioning PS4 and Stadia). XD

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that would be incredible.
Even just the games SNK holds rights over (almost everything from SNK, ADK and Yukekobo) with no sub-licensing would be more than worth it.
  1. Baseball Stars Color
  2. Big Bang Pro Wrestling
  3. Biomotor Unitron
  4. Crush Roller
  5. Dark Arms: Beast Buster 1999
  6. Dynamite Slugger
  7. Fatal Fury: 1st Contact
  8. The King of Fighters Round-1
  9. The King of Fighters R-2
  10. The Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny
  11. Metal Slug: 1st Mission
  12. Metal Slug: 2nd Mission
  13. NeoGeo Cup '98 Plus Color
  14. Neo Turf Masters
  15. Pocket Tennis Color
  16. Puzzle Link
  17. Puzzle Link 2
  18. Samurai Shodown!
  19. Samurai Shodown! 2
  20. SNK Gals' Fighters
And even better if they wanted to license more stuff from Capcom, Sega, Success, Sting, Aruze, Taito, G-mode, Bandai Namco, Studio Zan and Dyna.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even just the games SNK holds rights over (almost everything from SNK, ADK and Yukekobo) with no sub-licensing would be more than worth it.
  1. Baseball Stars Color
  2. Big Bang Pro Wrestling
  3. Biomotor Unitron
  4. Crush Roller
  5. Dark Arms: Beast Buster 1999
  6. Dynamite Slugger
  7. Fatal Fury: 1st Contact
  8. The King of Fighters Round-1
  9. The King of Fighters R-2
  10. The Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny
  11. Metal Slug: 1st Mission
  12. Metal Slug: 2nd Mission
  13. NeoGeo Cup '98 Plus Color
  14. Neo Turf Masters
  15. Pocket Tennis Color
  16. Puzzle Link
  17. Puzzle Link 2
  18. Samurai Shodown!
  19. Samurai Shodown! 2
  20. SNK Gals' Fighters
And even better if they wanted to license more stuff from Capcom, Sega, Success, Sting, Aruze, Taito, G-mode, Bandai Namco, Studio Zan and Dyna.
Yup, absolutely. Don't they own the rights to the Aruze/Sacnoth games also, at least on the NGPC platform? No NGPC collection would be complete without Faselei

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Is this game accessed inside the SS reboot itself, or is it a separate download, like they did in the Dragon Ball FighterZ pre-order bonus game?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, absolutely. Don't they own the rights to the Aruze/Sacnoth games also, at least on the NGPC platform? No NGPC collection would be complete without Faselei
No, Aruze kept rights to all Sacnoth's stuff.

Just to round up the (english) 3rd party licensing they'd need to do for some games:

Activision
  1. Shanghai Mini
Aruze
  1. Dive Alert: Becky's Version
  2. Dive Alert: Matt's Version
  3. Faselei!
Bandai Namco
  1. Pac-Man
Capcom
  1. SNK vs. Capcom: CardFighters' Clash - Capcom Version
  2. SNK vs. Capcom: CardFighters' Clash - SNK Version
  3. SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium
Dyna
  1. Neo 21
  2. Neo Baccarat
  3. Neo Cherry Master Color
  4. Neo Dragon's Wild
  5. Neo Mystery Bonus
G-mode
  1. Magical Drop Pocket
Sega
  1. Puyo Pop
  2. Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
Sting
  1. Evolution: Eternal Dungeons
Studio ZAN
  1. Cool Boarders Pocket
Success
  1. Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams
  2. Picture Puzzle
  3. Pocket Reversi
Taito
  1. Bust-A-Move Pocket

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Is this still Q1 2020? Boy the need to justify the price whenever it comes out...

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Are preorders up yet? It'd also be cool to map the short and long hold to separate buttons, but they're already doing so much.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
No, Aruze kept rights to all Sacnoth's stuff.

Just to round up the (english) 3rd party licensing they'd need to do for some games:

Activision
  1. Shanghai Mini
Aruze
  1. Dive Alert: Becky's Version
  2. Dive Alert: Matt's Version
  3. Faselei!
Bandai Namco
  1. Pac-Man
Capcom
  1. SNK vs. Capcom: CardFighters' Clash - Capcom Version
  2. SNK vs. Capcom: CardFighters' Clash - SNK Version
  3. SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium
Dyna
  1. Neo 21
  2. Neo Baccarat
  3. Neo Cherry Master Color
  4. Neo Dragon's Wild
  5. Neo Mystery Bonus
G-mode
  1. Magical Drop Pocket
Sega
  1. Puyo Pop
  2. Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
Sting
  1. Evolution: Eternal Dungeons
Studio ZAN
  1. Cool Boarders Pocket
Success
  1. Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams
  2. Picture Puzzle
  3. Pocket Reversi
Taito
  1. Bust-A-Move Pocket

Bandai Namco, G-Mode, Sega, Success and Taito are the most likely.